Start by marking “Lost Cat” as Want to Read:
Lost Cat

Lost Cat

A detective is walking down the street. It is raining. He sees a "Lost Cat" poster. A minute later he sees the cat from the photo. He picks it up and goes back to the poster. He calls the number. A woman answers. He turns up at her place and gives her the cat. She invites him in from the rain for a cup of coffee. They talk and find out they have a lot in common: both are d ...more
Published August 3rd 2013 by Fantagraphics (first published June 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Lost Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Cat

David Schaafsma
3/1/18 I decided to reread all of my Jason books, and this is the first reread (of 2018) of one of my favorite comics artists ever. I dunno, maybe I should have read them in order of publication? Oh, well. In short, this is a detective novel that would appear to morph into a loneylhearts romance and then would appear to morph. into sci-fi. Part of the reason for any confusion is that the detective, having met a woman that disappears, thinks about her, dreams about her.

Jason (John Arne Sæterøy)
Greta
A lost cat, a lost woman, a lost painting and a lost world.
Nice and sweet, but something was missing.
l.
Men shouldn’t be allowed to write about women or cats.
Will Hines
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun, compelling, haunting. Like the good parts of Twin Peaks. I should also say I'm not entirely sure what happened.
Jan Philipzig
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
My Original Plan Was to Become a Cowboy, But...

The wonderfully subtle and poetic Lost Cat features a private detective ("My original plan was to become a cowboy, but...") set in his lonely and uneventful ways. When the possibility of romance and maybe even happiness unexpectedly presents itself, fate immediately ensures that things instead go from bad to worse.

In his longest story to date, the always reliable Jason infuses the noir genre with his trademark melancholic, deadpan humour. Both roman
Sam Quixote
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The superb Jason returns with his latest book, Lost Cat. The story of a private detective who falls in love only to lose the woman of his dreams to his dreams, Lost Cat is definitely one of the best comic books of the year. Read the full review here: here!
Jeff
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I need to reread this one. As Dave Schaafsma says in his brief goodreads review, Jason creates fully realized characters with very few details. That is what always draws me to his work. This book, though, has me teetering on the verge of a meager 3 stars ... because i can't yet find a way to connect everything non-arbitrarily ... and i still presume Jason's work to be non-arbitrary. Maybe i'll reread it today ... if we don't go see a movie ... or tomorrow morning before work....

^^^ That was Oct
Stewart Tame
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jason writes some of the strangest, most enigmatic comics I've ever read. His anthropomorphic animal characters almost never change expression, and there's such a ... haunted ambiance to the world they inhabit. Genre tropes surface in the stories, only to be turned on their ears. Lost Cat starts as a private eye novel, then suddenly morphs into science fiction. Jason's comics are strange and wonderful and unlike anything else I've read.
Dominick
Interesting hybrid of anthropomorphic animals, noir, and SF creates an odd, post-modern narrative in which a detective pursues two evidently unrelated cases--the disappearance of a woman he met by chance, and a search for a missing painting. Why anthropomorphic animals? Who knows? What do the two plots have to do with each other? Who knows? What's going on with the alien invasion? Who knows? Lots of questions, no real answers, but nevertheless an intriguing, if elusive, read.
Morgane
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved how crisp, simple, and rhythmic the art was, and how the story felt natural: it didn't focus entirely on the main plot, nor did the subplots feel forced. But most of all I really enjoyed the very, very subtle details that are easy to miss the first time through. It's worth rereading, because you'll see how the ending was already revealed in the beginning...
Molly
I thought I'd read this before and it turns out I was right - thanks, Goodreads! I did not remember it very well, however.
It's something of a noir detective story/love story with a surprise science fiction element. Just like most of Jason's stuff, it's very interesting and a lot of fun.
Liam
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: of-comics
Probably my worst review ever. This started well but loses its focus in the middle and ends fairly badly by my comparison with other works of his. The plot just isn't as strong or sad, and I can't recall enough of it to be more useful than that for here.
Grg
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's like Jason had three different ideas and put them in a blender. A detective story, a love story, a science fiction story. It's kind of a mess, but kind of beautiful in a nerdy way.
Helen
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults.
Recommended to Helen by: No-one.
This is a nifty, simply drawn graphic novel, about three interlocking "losses" - a beloved lost cat "Kitty", which leads to the protagonist, private detective Dan Delon, to meet Charlotte, the cat's owner, when he finds the cat huddled under a dumpster on a rainy night and returns it to her. Charlotte invites Dan in to get out of the rain, and in the course of their conversation, in which both reveal they are divorced as well as other aspects of their lives, Charlotte asks Dan a question: "What ...more
Krista Regester
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Definitely an acquired taste, but I liked it!
Holly Letson
This graphic novel found a way to keep the story interesting without being overly wordy. There were even pages where the artist just let the photos tell the story.
Mario
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This review originally appeared on my blog, Shared Universe Reviews.

Jason is one of my favourite comic creators. There is something about his deadpan, anthropomorphic animal style that really works for me. Despite the minimal facial expression and body language, his art is very expressive. He manages to do things with his art that he shouldn’t be able to do, it just shouldn’t work. The emotion his characters can convey is staggering and the feeling he can imbue in the reader is equally impress
Kyle Wright
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Part detective mystery, part science-fiction, Jason's Lost Cat is at heart a tale of loneliness and lost love. Drawn in Jason's usual sparse manner, his characters wearing subtle expressions that convey such an array of emotion, and the dialog kept to a minimum, this book managed to hook me in a way that his last outing, Athos in America, failed. I'm always surprised by the amount of emotion that Jason is able to capture as well as his ability to grasp the faults and foibles that make us human.

H
Will
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
The graphic novel can and should do so much more than what is accomplished or even attempted in this slim volume. Part cliched detective story, part nerd fantasy of a meaningful conversation with a woman, and part sci-fi cop-out that completely undermines any possible intrigue, intricacy, or dramatic build hinted at by those first two elements. The pictures were nice.
Michael Seidlinger
Jul 28, 2013 rated it liked it
You will lose more than you find in this graphic novel; however, Jason will be there at the end to remind you to blink. You just might capture some of the beauty to be found between the panels and pages of this ultimately flawed, rushed narrative.
Karl O'
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Odd but also oddly effecting. First piece by Jasin I’ve picked up. Will get more.
Jen Jones
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Noire, metaphysical, the grey side of Sweden. Pure Jason.
توفيق عبد الرحيم
StrictlySequential
He either tried too hard to convolute it or didn't give it enough consideration: it was over-macguffined.

STILL AN EXCELLENT READ CHARACTER-WISE and who doesn't like his art?

As a late 30s - early 60s film noir aficionado, having devoured just over 200 films), I can tell you that he bulls-eyed that feeling. It actually overwhelmed me right before I was 25% in. I don't ever remember such a feeling, even in much better noir stories, which means he's incredible at representing the intangible atmosphe
Lisa Macklem
This is an odd little story. i liked the art - very simple and clean. " people" are depicted as various animals. i found it very amusing when the main character - a dog - returns the lost cat... Lots of noir detective nods. At times I felt like I was looking at very detailed storyboards. This bears re-reading as there is clearly more going on than you get just flowing through. I won't spoil the science fiction parts....
Guy Lelievre
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this on the bus on my way to work and finished it on my way home. I don't read graphic novels but the title and cover intrigued me so I decided to check it out. It's a strange and sometimes confusing story. A mixture of genres- a detective story with twists and turns. Beautiful and subtle. I was pleasantly surprised.
Brittaina
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
This was bloody weird.
The majority of it was realistic for a PI, there were long expanses of asking questions and walking.
But the ending was hella weird. The entire book is weird, and sad, and I don't really get the point. That unsolved mysteries can drive you mad?
Evan
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Yeah, I loved this. It's so beautifully told, even if I'm not quite sure what it told me.
Carol
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
First of Jason’s graphic work I’ve read. Well done. Looking forward to more.
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
delightful to read while also reading the big sleep!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Isle of 100,000 Graves
  • The Cage
  • Le jour le plus long du futur
  • Arsène Schrauwen
  • Good Dog
  • The Hive
  • Penny Century (Locas, #4)
  • Susceptible
  • King-Cat Classix
  • City of Glass: The Graphic Novel
  • The Acme Novelty Library #17
  • I'm Not Here
There are multiple authors with this single name, but Goodreads is unable to differentiate between them. The most prominent is the author below.

John Arne Sæterøy (born 16 May 1965 in Molde), better known by the pen name Jason, is a Norwegian cartoonist, known for his sparse drawing style and silent, anthropomorphic animal characters.

He has been nominated for two Ignatz Awards (2000: Outstanding St