Start by marking “Rainbow Stew” as Want to Read:
Rainbow Stew

Rainbow Stew

Splish, splash, puddle dash! It's a rainy summer day, but the vegetables in Grandpa's garden are just waiting to be picked. Yellow peppers, purple cabbage, red tomatoes, green zucchini, orange carrots, and more. So many colors! So many delicious ingredients to slice, chop, peel, and dice for a great big pot of mouthwatering Rainbow Stew. Yum!
Published June 15th 2013 by Lee & Low Books (first published April 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Rainbow Stew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rainbow Stew

Nikki
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This book has a cute rhyming story, bright and fun illustrations and children having a lot of fun with their grandfather! I don't recall many books where it is only the grandfather, and in this one he has a garden he loves and they are cooking together.

As a bonus (to me), the family isn't white. I love great stories where the characters aren't exactly like us - I don't point it out specifically to my daughter but I am sure she notices.

Read this with a 6yr old. Would probably have bought the boo
Melissa Robinson
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Love so much about this book. Gardening, diverse characters, kids playing in the mud, spending time with their grandpa, yummy food from homegrown veggies. I thoroughly enjoy Cathryn Falwell's books.
Jody
A grandfather and his grandchildren gather vegetables from the garden on a rainy day and cook "rainbow stew".
Jean Marie
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Rainbow Stew would be a good book for 5-7 year olds. This story is about three grandchildren visiting their grandpa. They always love to play and run around outside when they visit but unfortunately its raining. But, grandpa says its a great day to make some rainbow stew! Grandpa and the kids go into the garden and pick out all different kinds of vegetables. Going though the garden they sort the vegetables out by different colors and gather vegetables such as yellow peppers, purple cabbage heads ...more
Tasha
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Three children scramble out of bed at their grandpa’s house to a rainy day. But they don’t want to stay inside, so Grandpa sends them outside to find colors to add to his Rainbow Stew. They splash their way into the garden and look under the wet green leaves to find what colors are hidden beneath. They find all sorts of green vegetables like beans, spinach, and cucumbers, some rosy radishes, some purple cabbage, yellow peppers, red tomatoes and brown potatoes. Soon their basket is full and the t ...more
Robert Beveridge
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cle-pub-lib, finished
Cathryn Falwell, Rainbow Stew (Lee and Low, 2013)

It's kind of depressing that we live in a culture where someone needs to write a book like this—where we are so divorced from the idea of gathering fresh food, preparing it straight from the land, and then eating it right out of the pot is alien enough that someone felt the need to illustrate it to a generation of children (and, let's be honest, a generation of parents) who are used to vegetables in cans or freezer bags and meat in styrofoam trays
Sharon Tyler
Nov 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Rainbow Stew by Cathryn Falwell is a wonderful picturebook about three children who's visit with their grandfather is almost ruined by the weather. However, despite the wet, rainy day the family spends the day picking a variety of vegetables from the garden and making rainbow stew. The combination of great use of colors and words makes this a great story to share.

Rainbow Stew not only shows the variety of great colors we might find in the garden, or produce isle for those with less than green th
Deanne Hyde boilesen
Our family in Rainbow Stew do not get the day that they planned. Because of some storms, they have to change their plans and find their own rainbow of color. How is this family different from the family in Journey? Can you find some other family fun things they can do without being electronically connected? Where is another place you can find a rainbow if you do not have a garden?

Opening Moves: Raise a question about setting, foreshadow the problem of the story, and invite personal connections.
Amy-Lynn
On a rainy day when the children in the story are feeling sad because they can't go out to play, Grandpa has an idea ~ they'll gather ingredients for a Rainbow Stew. A trip to the garden where Grandpa teaches them how to harvest the colorful veggies. They tromp back into the house, wet but once they're dry and changed, they work together to create a Rainbow Stew. While it simmers on the stove, everyone cuddles up with a book. The family enjoys their hard work by feasting on their creation. Conta ...more
Jana
I love books about food! Especially picture books that involve a family spending time together to prepare that food. It's a rainy day at Grandpa's house and the children are all bummed because it' too wet to go outside and play. Grandpa decides it would be a great day to make Rainbow Stew. So, they put on raincoats, head out to the garden, and pick vegetables. Then they go into the kitchen to prepare the stew. The text is in rhyme, making it a fun read for children. The illustrations are bright ...more
Allison Manwell
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rainbow Stew is a picture book, released just this year, that I would love to use in my classroom. Grandpa and his grandkids need to harvest the vegetables that are ready to eat in the garden. The beautiful colors in the vegetables are added to a rainbow stew that is nice to look at and delicious too. At the end of the text, there is a recipe to create rainbow stew, which would be an awesome activity to do with a class! I could easily create an entire unit that focuses on this book. I would love ...more
Barbara
The rain can't keep three grandchildren and their grandfather down for long. Despite the wet weather, he suggests that they pick vegetables from the garden, and make a yummy stew from the colorful produce. The text is filled with wonderful sounds while the multimedia collage illustrations are colorful and show real enjoyment for the time the four spend togethet and their pleasure in savoring that stew. One of the things I love about the book is how the family reads books while waiting for the me ...more
Great Books
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: birth-4, family
A visit with Grandpa is almost ruined by the rain, but Grandpa has a plan: everybody outside to pick vegetables for Rainbow Stew. With their baskets full of colorful veggies, its back inside to dry off and cook up a pot of stew. This delightful book shows a loving African American family working, playing, cooking and sharing life and a meal together. Key words in the rhyming text change colors to go along with the rainbow theme. Reviewer 15
Kendra
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lovely rhyming story featuring Grandpa and three of his grandchildren having fun on a rainy day. Perhaps my favorite part of this book is that there is no Grandma. It's just Grandpa and he rocks big time. Would be great to share with a preschool or even in regular storytime though it's a little long (but they get muddy and hang out in the garden and cook so lots going on to keep them interested).
Shelli
Jun 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Rainbow Stew is quite literally a colorful read. Three sibling spend a rainy day collecting a variety of colorful produce from their grandfathers garden for a tasty stew. A fun book to share with preschool age kiddos learning about colors and some of the different types of plants that are grown in a garden.
Christine
Aug 07, 2013 rated it liked it
A rainy summer day invites the children to make a delectable stew of a beautiful rainbow assortment of vegetables with their Grandpa. Love that while the children are waiting for the stew they read books with their Grandpa. Readers will also enjoy the recipe for rainbow stew included at the end so they can try their luck at creating their own lunch based on the book.
Diane
"We love to visit Grandpa, it's always so much fun. He lets us play outside all day so we can jump and run."

Even in the rain, an extended family can fun together, gathering vegetables from the garden to make a "rainbow stew."

Includes the recipe in the back of the book

Carol
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it
A sweet and simple rhyming picture book sharing the joys of spending time with a grandparent. Grandpa's can make anything fun, even picking vegetables in the rain. The illustrations are bright and colorful, highlighting the rainbow of colors in the world around us.
Stephanie
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love that this book not only encourages kids to go outside in the rain, help in the garden, cook together and read but it also promotes men as fully able gardeners and cooks! The recipe for Rainbow Stew at the end looks mighty tasty and would be wonderful to make with kids or grandkids.
Mary
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
*** Many thanks to Lee and Low Books, Inc. and NetGalley.com for allowing me access to this book. ***

This is a great story about spending a day with Grandpa and his garden.

I can't wait to try the recipe at the end of the book!
Pam
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013
Is there a better way to spend the day than with your Grandpa? No! The story is made even better because children of color will see themselves as the main characters. And finally, African American grandpas are shown as young and vibrant, not old, crotchety, and boring.
Marina
Great illustrations. Unlikely that all the things being pulled out of the garden would be ready at the same time but for the sake of the story it was fine. Recipe for stew at the end plus web link for more recipes.
Samantha
A rainy day is no reason to stay inside! Grandpa and his grandchildren head for the garden on a color hunt; vegetables of every color for his famous Rainbow Stew!

Multimedia collage illustrations have so many details for readers to linger on. Rhyming text makes for a good read aloud. PreK-2.
Natalie  Sapkarov Harvey
I like the illustrations and the concept, but the rhymes fell flat.
Brindi Michele
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
colors or vegetables
Kiki Langberg
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute medium length picture book with a few actions to engage the kids.
Susan
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rhyming text, Af-Am family, working in the garden growning rainbow stew! I love Catherine falwell!

Kelly Ford
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I might use this book for Toddler Time, the story is short, and I love all of the different vegetables in it.
pati
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A rainbow of food grown in the garden!
Mbounds