Start by marking “MIND MGMT, Volume One: The Manager” as Want to Read:
MIND MGMT, Volume One: The Manager

MIND MGMT, Volume One: The Manager

(MIND MGMT #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  3,305 Ratings  ·  324 Reviews
Matt Kindt, the most original voice in genre comics, outdoes himself in this bold new espionage series!
Reporting on a commercial flight where everyone aboard lost their memories, a young journalist stumbles onto a much bigger story - the top-secret Mind Management program. Her ensuing journey involves weaponized psychics, hypnotic advertising, talking dolphins, and seeming
Published April 10th 2013 by Dark Horse Comics

To ask other readers questions about MIND MGMT, Volume One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about MIND MGMT, Volume One

Jan Philipzig
Two years ago, the passengers aboard a commercial flight suddenly lost their memories, and their lives would never be the same. When a young writer named Meru comes across the case in search of inspiration for her new book, she stumbles upon a mystery that involves secret organizations and conspiracies, hypnotic propaganda and immortal assassins, talking dolphins and psychic snipers, sleeper agents who don't know they're sleeping and monks holding the entire history of the world. Yep, it’s a sto ...more
Sam Quixote
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
A plane full of people suffer collective amnesia. A village where people are constantly making pots for no reason. A small town wiped out in an inexplicable massacre. Writer Meru decides to follow the strange trail of events for her latest book to answer the question at the heart of this dark mystery: who is Henry Lyme?

I’m not at all a fan of Matt Kindt’s but MIND MGMT, Volume 1: The Manager surprisingly wasn’t that bad. The story opens with an intriguing scenario – the amnesia plane – before m
Donovan
MIND MGMT is the long overdue makeover of the spy tale, now cerebral, supernatural, and deeply sensitive. The artwork takes a major adjustment, but works with the dreamlike story—think Jeff Lemire, but rougher and simpler. A must read.

A Short Note on the Standard Hardcover...

Rating: A+

I had to review the fine and unparalleled design and construction of this book. The jacket-less hardcover is exquisite and durable—better quality than most hardcover novels, like art book quality. Sewn binding! And
Jesse A
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ok. This one took a bit to get going for me but by the end I was completely hooked. Hell of a premise with interesting art and a good story. Looking forward to continuing this series. 4.5 stars.
Eli Bishop
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, fiction-sff
I liked the idea of this so much, my enthusiasm for what I wanted it to be carried me most of the way through the second book before I realized I wasn't actually into it.

I still like it in theory. A secret history of psychic spies and super-damaged people all around the world; action scenes interleaved with interviews and training manuals and reportage; loose watercolor art in the mode of several indie artists I like... could be cool. I think I just really don't like Matt Kindt's writing. The na
Cheese
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Fantastic premise of a story and the writer treats you with respect with some intelligent story telling.

An fantastic mystery thriller. I'm hooked.
David Schaafsma
I loved Kindt's Revolver. I also loved Kindt's friend Jeff Lemire's Sweet Tooth series a lot (and Kindt also contributes to that series!), and they seem to have a lot in common, very creative original ideas, deft sketch and coloring, just enough to give you a sense of the situation, not too much, and perfect for their subjects and stories. Just a glance at a few reviews, and it is clear almost everyone loves it. . . some folks mention Lost and that seems fair, as the intro is written by Lost co- ...more
William Thomas
Conspiracy theories aren't my thing. I don't care for them, don't like their speculative nature, don't understand their acceptance as fact by so many different groups of people. I don't subscribe to them. The absurdity of just a few of the most recent ones we have dealt with in America when it comes to claims of 'false flag' operations blows my mind. I think that more than the sheer absurdity of the allegations of a conspiracy, the speculative nature is what really gets me. I'm a historian. I do ...more
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Seriously never read a graphic novel quite like this one before! The story is so original! Starting with a flight where every aboard gets amnesia and then taking us on a journey to find the man who might be responsible. The illustrations are in these watercolor tones that are beautiful-the frames are large and easy to read/follow. I love the field guide notes all around the edges. Awesome story!!
Blindzider
Aug 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Intriguing. I'm all for "government conspiracy" stories and Kindt definitely builds the structure for one: People with mental powers secretly living in our society and run by a mysterious group who will do anything they deem necessary to control the world. It's a little difficult to evaluate things like pacing, because the storytelling is very limited and the rating loses half a star because of it. It's very simple both in anatomy and detail, and the storytelling keeps to only about 3 or 4 panel ...more
L. McCoy
I did not read this book.
This is not a 4-star review.
I did not enjoy this book.
I would not recommend this book.
I did not just confuse everyone reading this review who hasn’t read this book.

What’s it about?
A struggling author investigates a mysterious event from 2 years ago and ends up in lots of danger in a story of mind control and espionage.

Pros:
The story is very interesting and unique.
The art style is absolutely great! It looks nice and I love the way that it sometimes goes outside of the lin
Dustin
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read in issues.

When I saw the first issue in my LCS I wasn't sure about it. The watercolor art threw me off a little bit and I decided that I just wanted to read something familiar. However, over the next couple of days I kept thinking about it and how intriguing the look of it was. I went back and picked up the issue, then the 2nd issue, then the 3rd, etc. I fell in love with the storytelling as well as the art. I can't think of a better art style to fit this story. You spend most of the time f
Peter Derk
Apr 04, 2016 rated it liked it
A bit too much waiting to hear an explanation for what appear to be inexplicable events, but it was still intriguing enough to keep me going despite the fact that "no time to explain!" is one of my pet peeves.

By the end, I was in. The first 2/3 didn't quite do it for me, but once we got to the exposition, I was in. This probably sounds like a non-endorsement, but I'm a person who's likely to quit a book that doesn't feel like it's going somewhere, so for me to stick with it is high praise, in a
Issa
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Unique spy fi series. Intriguing premise and payoff. Can't wait to read the subsequent volumes
Burgoo
Apr 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013, comics
In another medium, Mind MGMT would be referred to as a High Concept story. What if the US government had a secret program with weaponized mind control specialists?

In its particulars, Mind MGMT is the story of Meru, a true crime writer who investigates a curious incident involving a commercial flight whose passengers all show signs of amnesia. Her investigation throws her into a spy story with psychics, immortal assassins, and former government operatives.

Given the widespread praise that this se
zxvasdf
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
In the introduction, Damon Lindelof—noted for blowing people's mind in the film industry—promises Mind Mgmt would blow the reader's mind. He wasn't wrong.

Mind Mgmt functions perfectly as a standalone novel, reminiscent of Christopher Nolan's Memento, while taking the amnesia game to a higher level. Meru, an acclaimed photojournalist, delves into the mystery of flight 815 in which every passenger with the exception of a child and a missing person from the list is struck with a debilitating bout o
Stewart Tame
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
We're off to a promising beginning. I've been hearing good things about this series, and I can see why. How can you fight someone who can literally rewrite your memories and control your perceptions? Would you even know you needed to defeat them?

Meru is a journalist looking into a story about flight 815, an airplane full of people who all lost their memory at the same time. She discovers that one passenger seems to have vanished in mid-flight, and becomes determined to track him down. She quickl
Artemy
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dark-horse, comics
Really good! I really like the artwork and the writing, reminds me a bit of Jeff Lemire's earlier work (and I hear Kindt and Lemire are very good friends). Can't wait for the next volume!
Jason Bootle
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wonderful concept, secret organisation of agents specialising in mind control. Love the watercolour illustration style. Looking forward to the next instalment.
Erin
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read for the local author prompt of my attempt at doing the Popsugar Reading Challenge with graphic novels and comics.

I will likely pick up later volumes of this at some point to continue reading - I didn't love it as much as I expected to, given that this is constantly on people's Best Comics of All Time lists!
Jeff James
The most striking thing about Matt Kindt’s Mind MGMT is the art style, done with loose pen and watercolor sketches. It’s like nothing I’ve seen before in a graphic novel, and definitely gives the book a unique flavor. I will admit, however, that although the art is interesting, it isn’t entirely to my personal taste. I like that Kindt did something original with his style, but I had a hard time accepting the art as a stylistic choice instead of something that just felt a bit amateurish. A varian ...more
Craig
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this one. It combines some of the spy theatrics of Kindt's earlier Super Spy with a conspiracy story revolving around a secret government agency, responsible for psychic warfare. Meru, the main character, is a young woman true crime writer who sees a televised report about the tenth anniversary of Flight 815, the so-called "amnesia flight," because everyone on-board mysteriously lost their memories--everyone that is, but a seven-year-old boy and the missing, 121st passenger, Henry ...more
Ronald
Jun 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This was one of the items I got at the recently held Printer's Row Book Fair held in Chicago.

My opinion in a nutshell: Strong on ideas, somewhat deficient in execution.

My longer opinion: In this graphic novel, a group of secret agents have incredible mental powers. For example, one might have the ability to read minds. Another has tremendous powers of suggestion. A group of monks can remember whatever they experience, with total accuracy.

The problem is that I found the book too info-dumpery. A g
Katie
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm split between giving this a 3 or 4 stars. I'll be generous & go w/ 4.

An entire plane of people finds themselves mid-flight and completely unable to remember who they are. Two years later, a women from the plane, a investigative journalist, finds herself on a mission to find the one person on the manifest who no one ever saw; Henry Lyme. She hopes that if she finds him, she'll find the key to her missing memories.

The illustrations aren't exceptional (sorry, Saga & Astro City have spo
J
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Holy smokes. Every superlative thing you've ever heard, read, or otherwise known about Matt Kimdt is true and this series grows on the incredible talent he demonstrated in his Super Spy books. Engaging, wild, twisty, profound, and setting the bar way way way up there for other graphic novelists. Plus, he's a one man operation, so story and art both, in such a gripping read is quite a feat.

If you like conspiracy theories, cloak and dagger, and moral ambiguity, are you in for a treat when you fin
Jeff
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it
The art is glorious in this book, in part because it isn't what one would expect from something along the lines of a conspiracy thriller. But then, this isn't exactly a conspiracy thriller either--it's a kind of meditation on reality, driven more by that kind of exploration than by plot; I like the mix, but I need a bit more plot to make it interesting.

It is a beautiful hardcover book (I checked it out of the library)--when I see a book like this which is only 20 bucks, I don't understand how ot
I liked this more than I expected. The art is not necessarily my cup of tea and it's a little violent, but the mystery pulled me in. With many graphic stories, I feel like it's easy to speed through them without taking in the details, but here I wanted to look closely at each panel to make sure I wasn't missing any details. I also enjoyed the employee guide that runs along the margins providing additional information.
Christopher
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
While there is a stylistic imposition right off the bat (the MIND MGMT Field Guide "tips"), I found the story to be deceptively simple and fairly enjoyable. I may not be as invested in this series I am with more mainstream stuff, but I think this one will grow on me. The sort-of "game changing" moment in issue 4 stoked my interest and really showed me how cohesive this story is in concept and execution.
Lauren
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really love this story, I'm excited to read the next volumes. I docked it a star because I thought there were some sporadic moments where the writing was a little weak. (Some of the dialogue or inner monologue/narration seemed to be either unnecessary, redundant or to state the obvious for no compelling reason.)
Heather
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really didn't know what to expect in a graphic novel like this. The last lines in the introduction are: "So put on your helmets, kiddies...You're about to get mindfu*ked!" Well, after just reading the last page that is exactly how I feel. Captivating, engaging, and a completely mind blowing story of how our memories can be the greatest gift and the worst enemy.
Lakeland Public L...: Graphic Novels 1 6 Mar 11, 2015 11:42AM
  • The Private Eye
  • Nowhere Men, Vol. 1: Fates Worse Than Death
  • Mind the Gap, Volume 2: Wish You Were Here
  • Prophet, Volume 1: Remission
  • Criminal, Vol. 6: The Last of the Innocent (Criminal, #6)
  • Lazarus, Vol. 4: Poison

• MIND MGMT, Volume Three: The Home Maker
  • MIND MGMT, Volume Four: The Magician
  • MIND MGMT, Volume Five: The Eraser
  • MIND MGMT, Volume Six: The Immortals
“If you find that you are short of funds in the field, remember that any paper can be mind augmented to perform in the place of real money.” 0 likes