Start by marking “Aliens: Inhuman Condition” as Want to Read:
Aliens: Inhuman Condition

Aliens: Inhuman Condition

(Aliens Comics)

On a distant, frozen world, "artificial persons" are manufactured in discreet seclusion. With formidable new security synthetics coming online, how better to test their mettle than against a hive of deadly xenomorphs? But as "socialization specialist" Jean DuPaul sees her ever-more-human android charges sent to their destruction, she learns that the most savage species in ...more
Published April 24th 2013 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Aliens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aliens

Gianfranco Mancini

I was afraid this was going to be a disappointing read because Sam Kieth's caricatural and grotesque style suits not well for me with the xenomorph franchise at all, luckly storyline gets better and better and in the end these artworks were just perfect ones for this kind of tale.

Better never judge a book by its cover and give it a try.
Trike
This is a solid if unsurprising entry into the Aliens universe. Typical Weyland-Yutani company bad guys doing bad things with xenomorphs and androids running around. The art by The Maxx, Vol. 1 creator Sam Kieth has that Heavy Metal vibe, which works for this story.
Andrew
1st read of 2019. not a bad little short story involving the good ol Weyland-Yutani operations. i felt like this could’ve been fleshed out into something with a bit more depth, but still an okay short. art was...different. worth reading if you’re a fan.
Trekscribbler
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
ALIENS: INHUMAN CONDITION Is A Perfect Nightmare

The world presented from the original ALIEN motion picture has always been just so rich for storytelling. It’s big and broad enough to incorporate horror, science fiction, drama, and – if done right – even light comedy while, all the while, still possessing the ability to comment on the human condition. Why? Well, that’s because ALIEN is so full of life. It has humans; it has aliens; and it also has these synthetic beings – part android, part biolo
Richelle
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Really different art in this one. In some parts it seemed nice, but in others strangely inappropriate for the story. The faces seemed to keep changing, a little too much than usual in a comic.

The story was good, with a sad ending. But I also wasn't sure if I should be sorry for, or annoyed at, the main character. Was what she did really her only option? Was it really necessary?

I'll give this one a 3.5 out of 5 stars.
Ademption
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
3.5 stars rounded up. John Layman offers a slight, well-told story. The art is rather rough even for Sam Kieth.
Paul
May 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Another book I would never had purchased had it not been presented as a nice hardcover.

I also coulndn't help but think I had already read it the entire time I was reading it... then I remembered, the entire story had previously been in the monthly Dark Horse Presents anthology book.

The art is nice, but sometimes it appears much too caricatural for what should be a horror story.

The story itself is somewhat "coocky"; all the characters seem to have issues, icluding, and mostly, the lead character.
Kyle Warner
Very mixed on this. I like the story, it has an interesting mix of whimsy, heartbreak, and horror. But I'm sorry, I hated the art. Imagine the sleek dark designs of Aliens depicted as an angry political cartoon. It didn't work for me.
Mark
May 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
I keep buying Alien comics hoping for something new and original, but I keep encountering retreads.
Suge
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Pretty intense storyline. I love the artwork that went with this story. Very interesting.
Shawn Birss
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Finally, a new and unique Alien story. A few decades past the original two blockbuster films, it is nice to find writers willing to explore this world and its possibilities. This is another horror story, firmly and unrepentantly Alien, but not a story of survival. This is psychological terror with a dose of body horror (of course) and just a sprinkle of revenge fiction. In fact, I could imagine Tarantino doing an interesting film adaptation of this one.

Very timely, in a world of terrorists and
K De
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Solid story telling by John Layman and good artwork by Sam Kieth. The story has a slight twist from from the protagonist and the planetary setting. It seems flavored with Alien Resurrection Ripley idea. The artwork lends to a less graphically gory aliens combat scenes which is refreshing. Well worth reading.
Beelzefuzz
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I am not sure taht I would have seen so many overtones of The Maxx in this story had it not been drawn by Sam Keith. It reads like The Maxx without the titular character and the social worker character stands up for herself in the end in a fun twist that still feeds her fantasy delusion.
CHRIS LOCKEY
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The legendary Sam Kieth illustrates Xenomorphs while Layman explores the humanity of synthetics in the Alien universe. "Win-Win."
Simon
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oddly chilling little story.
Alexandra Rolo
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Não é segredo para ninguém que sou uma enorme fã de Alien e quando vi este pensei must have, read and be happy *-*

Jean DuPaul sobreviveu aos aliens mas perdeu o seu marido e a sua sanidade mental. É para combater algo que ela acha ser injusto que decide confrontar o seu maior pesadelo.

Uma vez mais temos como grande perigo o próprio ser humano e o grande dilema "deve ser um robot carne para canhão?"

É uma história que nos deixa presos até ao fim... Esta ficava também muito bem com uma adaptação pa
Hal Halbert
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
John Layman, creator of the hilarious CHEW comic book series, has teamed up with Sam Keith to produce a profoundly moving piece about a woman faced with inhumanity on a world populated by corporate suits, aliens, and the artificial persons she has been assigned to socialize. It offers a very different female perspective than that of Ripley, one that uses Keith's style to maximum advantage. A quick read, one worth the time and money.
Nick
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very unique vision for the Alien universe. The art is completely unexpected and often time sentimental. Yea... sentimental in an Alien story. I really don't understand how this got off the ground, but I am extremely glad it did. It's was great break from the macho Aliens stuff that usually comes out of DH.
Jonathan
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I am a long time collector of Aliens and Predator comics & graphic novels from Darkhorse. After a long dry spell Darkhorse is back in good form and the recent stories and art have been superb. I bought my first Aliens comic from Duncanville books and gifts in 1990 and have every issue put out since the mid 80s.
Mel
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this. I bought it for the art work by Sam Kieth that was stunning. The style just suited the story perfectly. It was beautiful and surreal and the aliens looked great.

I really liked the story too. It was a lovely blend of trauma and the horribleness of people. The way it was told was subtle and strong. I loved this and will need to buy more books by Kieth now.
Rino
Mar 10, 2015 rated it liked it
While the art, especially regarding the aliens themselves, is a bit too cartoonish for the series in my eyes, the story here is great and miles ahead of the first Aliens comics collected in the Dark Horse omnibus series. It's a bit on the short side, too, but nicely presented in a neat hardcover and I enjoyed it while it lasted.
João
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
While the art style was not entirely to my liking, opting for simpler (almost cartoonish) designs, the story itself was quite interesting and managed to have a gut-punch of an ending. It was short but sweet.
Flora
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read for the Stan Lee Excelsior award 2014 - http://www.excelsioraward.co.uk

The best of the shortlist that I have read so far, maybe because the Aliens universe is itself so strong and so rich in potential for gripping, thoughtful stories about what it means to be human.
Alex Sarll
From the writer of Chew and the artist of so much grand insanity, one expects a little more than this slight effort with a rudimentary twist in the tail. That said, it's still better than the last four Alien films.
Lesli
Sep 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, fiction, lm-lib-loan
Eh. The art is interesting. The story is short and confusing.
Nicole
Interesting Story

The art style made it harder for me to get into the story. I am going to say this is my least favorite of the series thus far.
James Jesso
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a quick and easy read. I really enjoy Sam Keith's play on hallucinations and reality. Also, though simple, I really enjoyed the :what does it mean to be human: narrative it played with.
PJ Ebbrell
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novesl
I liked some of the art and some of the story, but somehow it just didn't work for me.
Charlos
Short, with art I at turns liked and found distracting, and a story that, while a interesting counterpoint to Ripley, was not very compelling or fresh.
Matthew
Aug 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Kieth first came to prominence in 1984 as the inker of Matt Wagner's Mage, his brushwork adding fluidity and texture to the broad strokes of Wagner's early work at Comico Comics. In 1989, he drew the first five issues of writer Neil Gaiman's celebrated series The Sandman, but felt his style was unsuited to the book (specifically saying that he "felt like Jimi Hendrix in The Beatles") and left, han ...more

Aliens Comics (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • Alien: The Illustrated Story