Start by marking “The Reconstruction of Wilson Ryder” as Want to Read:
The Reconstruction of Wilson Ryder

Read Excerpt

The Reconstruction of Wilson Ryder

Wilson Ryder is the compelling story of a physically disfigured artist's search for creative self-expression as he struggles for success in the New York art world and escape from the shadow of his mother, a now-famous painter who had abandoned him as a child.
Paperback, Arc, 292 pages
Published January 15th 2013 by Terra nova books

To ask other readers questions about The Reconstruction of Wilson Ryder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reconstruction of Wilson Ryder

Danielle Tremblay
(view spoiler) ...more
Christine
Once I picked this book up I did not want to put it down. I found myself trying to sneak in an extra few pages of reading every chance I got. The Ryders seemed so alive and real to me. I felt a connection to the characters and cared about them so much that it was hard for me to stop reading.

As the mother of a child with cleft lip and palate I could relate to fierce protectiveness of Will’s father and sister. I understand that animal instinct that takes over when someone cruelly harms your child
Antimidas
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: first-reads
This book ranks right up there with To Kill a Mockingbird. Has this yet been nominated for any literary awards such as the Pulitzer or Booker Prize?

I received this book for free from a Goodreads giveaway. I have not been compensated for this review.

Oh my God! I want to read this book over and over and over again! The only other book I feel the same way about is Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird."

A touch of Holden Caulfield, a smidge of Phillip Pirrip and a dash of Jean Louise "Scout" Finch. An
Ali Brookes
My cousin recommended The Reconstruction of Wilson Ryder to me. At first, I was hesitant to read it since my taste runs to suspense/mysteries. But I'm so glad I did pick up this character-rich page-turner. The author is a wonderful storyteller, and I found myself engaged by each member of the Ryder family. They will all stay in your mind long after you finish, particularly the narrator, Wilson, who sees the world in a very special way. The Reconstruction of Wilson Ryder by Michael French
Polly White
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Michael French's writing style pulls the reader in easily from the beginning. Each character is uniquely fascinating. Wilson Ryder is a talented young artist who explores the art world and the perspective of beauty from the viewpoint of someone disfigured by burns as a small child. New Mexico, Chicago, and New York City provide the perfect cultural settings for the unfolding story of this young artist and his family through personal challenges and complex relationships. It's a great read.
Brad
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Reconstruction of Wilson Ryder by Michael French is a well-written first-person narrative that chronicles the life of a physically and emotionally scarred boy from New Mexico who strives to make it in New York in the ultra-competitive world of fine-art painting. Wilson, the protagonist, is a survivor in every sense of the word. He has survived a devastating house fire that leaves his face permanently disfigured, forcing him to find his way as a pariah in a culture that values outward beauty ...more
Susan
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is a first person narrative told from the point of view of one Will Ryder, a child and then a man physically and emotionally scarred from a young age, first by an accidental fire and then by the abrupt departure of his mother. Raised by his indulgent father and devoted sister Hannah, Will struggles to come to grips with his scars as he approaches adulthood. He eventually comes back into the orbit of his emotionally distant Mother, an acclaimed artist. She has sloughed off the responsib ...more
Melody
Dec 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
It's a struggle in the visual art world. Art should not just be about what looks beautiful. It is expressing a thought, feeling or emotion in a way that can't be expressed with just words. And those things are not always pretty. Some of the most interesting paintings don't fit the standard description of beautiful.

This is what Wilson's life is like. He has had a rich and full life. He is very smart and talented. Buy he also has been burned and his face and his soul both carry the ugly scars.

Wi
Jasmine
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found that every character involved with Will Ryder touched me. Each character
had their individual struggles yet found the strength to continue to move
forward. Will began at a very early age with the struggle of fitting in due to
his disfigurement. Many young adults find themselves feeling as outcasts and not
fitting in because society in general judges by appearance.

The vivid and colorful descriptions of the art world was an added bonus. While
Will Ryder no doubt had enormous talent he found sol
Tamara Anderson
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Michael really brings to life Wilson Ryder as you are reading it you tend to forget that its a fictional character you start to think that its a real biography. Its a book full of pain and heartache and how one man tries to understand and overcome.
Overall I liked this book however i thought that parts where drown out with lots of details and other parts that I would have liked more details. Definitely a thought provoking book making you double think how you view life and the world around you
Lynne
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone; the story, the prose, the themes, all very accessible
Recommended to Lynne by: it was a Kindle recommendation
Emily Capeles
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this goodreads giveaway book. The story of Wilson was full of surprises. I felt both the joys and sorrows that Wilson encountered. All in all this is a well written book that is a great read.
R. Clark
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you like stories about family dynamics, modern art, overcoming obstacles and self-discovery, read this book! It's deftly imagined, artfully told and compelling to read.
Joy
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really liked it. I've become so emotionally vested in the characters that I wish that the book had been longer.
Stephen
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Very good novel by an author I'd never heard of. Thank you goodreads.com for introducing me to such great books and writers.
I won this book on goodreads!
Carol
Michele Stine
Jan 18, 2015
Q and A with Mich...: The mirror 2 2 Feb 01, 2017 04:13PM
won it 4 6 May 30, 2013 06:06PM
The Perks Of Bein...: My new novel is about a young disfigured artist, and the meanings of art and beauty. 9 38 Mar 07, 2013 10:45PM
  • Pale Horses (Jade de Jong, #4)
  • Unconscionable (Richard Coleman, #3)
  • Maverick Genius: The Pioneering Odyssey of Freeman Dyson
  • Benjamin: The Road to Capernaum
  • The Real Verdict: My Quest for the Freedom I Never Had
  • The Peacock Angel: Rise of the Decarchs
  • The General and Monaville, Texas
  • Borderland
  • A Chance to Win: Boyhood, Baseball, and the Struggle for Redemption in the Inner City
  • Zen Confidential: Confessions of a Wayward Monk
  • The Socrates Project
  • Humor From Behind the Walls and Other Nonsense
  • HeartStone (Dolvia Saga #2)
  • My Greek Drama: Life, Love, and One Woman's Olympic Effort to Bring Glory to Her Country
  • The Eye With Which The Universe Beholds Itself
  • A Matter of Importance
  • Every Boy Should Have a Man
  • The Great Succession Crisis (Peers of Beinan #1)
#1 Amazon best selling author Michael French graduated from Stanford University and Northwestern University. He is a businessman and author who divides his time between Santa Barbara, California, and Santa Fe, New Mexico. He is an avid high-altitude mountain trekker, as well as a collector of first editions of twentieth-century fiction.

He has published twenty-four books, including fiction, young a
“Your life can end at any time, and it can end more than once. But it can also begin more than once.” 4 likes