Start by marking “Pieces of Eight (The Frey Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
Pieces of Eight (The Frey Saga, #2)

Pieces of Eight

(The Frey Saga #2)

After revealing her own dark past, Frey is forced to join with a group of strangers whose pasts seem to intertwine with her own. She struggles to regain her memories, her full power, only to find there is more danger on the other side. And now, there is no turning back.
Published March 12th 2012 by Createspace (first published July 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pieces of Eight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pieces of Eight

Start your review of Pieces of Eight (The Frey Saga, #2)
R.K. Ryals
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The sequel to Frey was an amazing read. The characters were brilliant! My particular favorite is chevelle, our male hero. He was perfect. Mysterious, hard to reach but who seemed willing to sacrifice everything, who was willing to stick with Frey no matter the pain to himself. His sacrifice was enough to make you forgive him for his surliness and his stand-offishness.

Spoiler alert:

The only issue I had with the sequel was the aggrivation you feel for Frey because she is continually kept in the
Diana
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was better than the first but not by far. I felt like the scenes were redundant, Fray and the others traveling by horse, camping, and Fray blacking out. It was so annoying to constantly be left in the dark about what was going on. At the very end your finally clued in to some of what is going on but your still left with lots of questions.
Cocktails and Books
If you read Frey, you probably wondered (like the rest of us) what exactly was going on with Frey. Why was her magic bound? Who were these ragtag group of elves and half breeds willing to help her? I'm happy to say, with Pieces of Eight we get a lot of information as to how Frey ended up in the state she's in.

As Frey's memory continues to come back in pieces, she's still plagued with blackouts, which also tend to happen after a new revelation about the past is given to her. So as she deals with
Dan Wheeler
I had a hard time following what was going on in this story.
It was not clear what the issue's where and characters appeared in the story without any explanation.

I like the first one so I'm hoping the 3rd one is better.

Mary Holbert
Again with the blackouts and coddling. Wanted to like this series but can't get past the whining about her weaknesses. ...more
Andy
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a terrible book. Literally half the book was spent wandering pointlessly in the woods before deciding to go back home.
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was ok. Probably better than the first but just as frustrating. There were just so many things that were so vague and a lot of useless traveling and camping and it all seemed like filler, although by the end finally more was revealed.
TheCosyDragon

Frey is still an outcast. Struggling to regain memories and being assaulted with blackouts here and there, she can't hope to help in the fight against the council members that bound her.

It felt like nothing happened in this novel for the first 40% or so. They journeyed out, it got too dangerous, and they returned to the castle. Much of this novel
Adrian
Jul 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading the second book of this series, I still feel as though the characters are a bit flat. I was hoping they would be fleshed out a bit. I still like the concept of the book. I like that she gradually remembers things through dreams but it's still really frustrating to have so many questions about what is going on, what their goal is, why they are protecting Frey. A got some answers at the very very end of the book but it seemed like too little too late. It's frustrating that any time s ...more
Danielle Smiley
Take all the crazy awesomeness of book 1, toss in lots of answers to all the mystery of book 1, throw in a million more questions, mysteries and unclear motives and you'd begin to understand what you have in Pieces of Eight.

Holy cow, people! I didn't think Melissa Wright could possibly add anymore wonderful intrigue and complexity to Frey's life, and I was so freakin' wrong. Yay for being wrong!!!

To be succinct (yes, a rarity I know), Pieces of Eight is just more: more action, more mystery, more
katrina rampenthal
Pieces of eight, book two

I enjoyed the story line but only gave the book three stars because parts of the story get confusing and seem inconsistent. The main character, Elfreda, is fairly whiny and childish which grows a bit annoying. Despite this, I still enjoyed the story and want to finish the series. Elfreda is undergoing a frustrating and painful experience that will completely change her outlooks. By the end she has learned some hard truths that make everything come more into focus. Overal
Summer Peterson
Kathryn
Jun 30, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Aweful writing. Flat characters. No real description of setting to visualize. One of those t"sagas" that should have been one book, but was stretched into three. Interesting ideas, but not developed well at all. Wish I could give partial stars. This one reads like the outline/first sketch of a book. Needs a lot more work. ...more
Kimberly Schaunaman
Sleepy

The heroine did nothing but sleep in the entire book. The first of this series I enjoyed but this book left me cold. I sure hope the third book is much better.
Elizabeth
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Could have been a lot better.
Kelly
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Needs to bring the focus back to the action - which was good, where I saw it - and stop the swooning and sulking!
Camille
marginally better than the first book in the series, which was a mess.
Selaya Morton
Not as riveting as Book #1 but short enough to struggle through anyway. Frey is always unconscious, otherwise blacked out or sleeping. The continuous non-answers from her companions get predictable & boring. Even with her memories slowly returning, nothing is really explained until a good two thirds of the way through. Everything she does - or tries to do - is frowned upon by at least one other character. The encounter with the human girl, Molly, is almost glossed over with the exception of Frey ...more
Daisy Sauceda
Don't know where to begin with this book. I wasn't sure if I wanted to read this book, however my curiosity got the best of me. You really need to pay attention to what the other characters are saying and doing to understand what is going on. Frey or Elfreda whichever you want to go with is completely lost. Not just by her surroundings but mentally as well. It was hard to follow at first but it all fell into place in the last chapter. Even though I had my reserves about this book, it was pretty ...more
Hans Erdman
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish she'd stop... (Contains spoilers)

These are good stories, well told, with very good character development, Freya's blacking out every single time she starts getting a piece of her life's puzzle or her love interest holds her, gets old, particularly after two books of it. Yes, I will read Books 3 and 4, as long as she is allowed to become the strong character she's supposed to have been all along.
Mrz
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mixed emotions

I enjoyed the first book but the one was a snooze fest. Not in the boring sense but because all she did was pass out and faint. I was so tired of Frey fainting, sleeping and blacking out I almost put the book down. I'm not sure how they didn't just leave her. I'm sad to say I won't be reading the next book. I'm glad she got her memories back and realized who Chavelle was and appreciated all her other friends.
SaraJane
I enjoyed this more than the first book, though I had some of the same frustrations with the story. I think there could have been a way to make Frey seem less like a moron while still trying to grasp onto her bound memories. The second half of this book is what kept me reading. Finally people were having the important conversations they should have been having all along. I am enjoying this serious, though. The overall story is interesting and I feel like Wright's writing improves with each book. ...more
Arlene
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally!

I did not particularly like the first book. Everything was shrouded in mystery and questions that even after reading the last part of the first book, I still felt clueless! It was frustrating but it made me curious enough to read the 2nd book. And wow what a revelation! I now want to know more about Freya and who she was as Elfreya.
Eileen Maki
Confusing but good

There were several places in this book where the history or backstory were being explained that I had to read several times and still didn't quite get it. It was confusing.

There were grammatical and spelling errors and I found the book slightly disappointing with Elfreda's constant passing out.

Overall, it's a good premise and story.
David
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow steady story

Finally we get to where we're headed in the last book. Not an awesome story, nor one with notable action, rather a transition from the beginning to the next arc in the series. A good read, a fair romance and a bit better worldview... now we should get to some butt kicking heroine stuff and maybe some good romance...
Margaret
Dec 16, 2020 rated it really liked it

The story of Frey continues in this, the second book of the series.

After revealing a dark past, Frey is forced to join with a group of strangers whose pasts seem to intertwine with her own. She struggles to regain her memories, her full power, only to find there is more danger on the other side. And now, there is no turning back.

JMBooher
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT BOOK

I loved this book. The characters, storyline, twists and turns. It was a slider alright; meaning I could not wait to slide to the next page. Thank you Ms. Wright for the book.
Barbara Sykeshaha
Finally Freya becomes more

No longer a lost, confused, young person. Took the whole book to get her there, but very interesting along the way. Getting ready to find the next book in this series.
Keira
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boho Beannie
Sep 30, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got answers that were unanswered in the first one but felt a little rushed at the end. There are more in the series but this one was satisfying enough to end here. Not enough interest to continue series
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Edge of Magic (Tara Knightley, #1)
  • Evensong (Meratis Trilogy, #1)
  • Catacombs (Academy of Ancients #1)
  • Where Dragons Collide (Dragon Ridden Chronicles #5)
  • Bladelore (Cadis Trilogy, #3)
  • The Witching Place: A Fatal Folio (Curious Bookstore Cozy Mystery #1)
  • Witch for Hire (A Witch's Path, #1)
  • Infernal
  • Blightlore (Cadis Trilogy, #2)
  • Bloodlore (Cadis Trilogy, #1)
  • Evenlight (Meratis Trilogy, #3)
  • Winter's Rage (Byron Tibor #3)
  • Eventide (Meratis Trilogy #2)
  • Star Mother (Star Mother, #1)
  • True Dead (Jane Yellowrock, #14)
  • The Navigator (The Apollo Stone Trilogy #1)
  • Year of the Chameleon 2 (Shadowspell Academy, #5)
  • A Date With Death (Conjuring a Coroner #0.5)
See top shelves…
Melissa is the author of more than a dozen YA and fantasy novels including The Frey Saga and Between Ink and Shadows. When not writing she can generally be found talking with an author friend about a book, painting something from a book, or tucked between headphones listening to a book. It’s kind of a theme. She loves reasonable heroines in unreasonable situations, noble--if brooding--heroes, slow ...more

The Frey Saga (6 books)
  • Frey (The Frey Saga, #1)
  • Rise of the Seven (The Frey Saga, #3)
  • Venom and Steel  (The Frey Saga, #4)
  • Shadow and Stone (The Frey Saga #5)
  • Feather and Bone (The Frey Saga #6)

News & Interviews

“Somewhere in the depths of my subconscious, I knew what I was watching might be the final straw, might finally split a tenuous crack, leaving me in separate, unconnected pieces. But I couldn't make myself look away.” 0 likes