Start by marking “Space Mountain: A Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
Space Mountain: A Graphic Novel

Space Mountain: A Graphic Novel

The year is 2125 and the Magellan Science Academy has given two lucky cadets "golden tickets" to join a team of space explorers on a special field trip to journey 24 hours into the future--straight into "Tomorrowland." But when their mission goes unexpectedly wrong, the two young cadets must band together with a miniature flying saucer sidekick to save themselves, the rest ...more
Published May 6th 2014 by Disney Press (first published May 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Space Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Space Mountain

Betsy
It sounds at first like a bit of a joke. You take a typical Disney indoor roller coaster with a late '70s look and name and you write a graphic novel for it. It appears to be silly, but then again look at the success of movies like The Pirates of the Caribbean. Maybe a graphic novel’s a good way to start. Sure as heck beats reading a GN about Splash Mountain, after all. Add in the fact that graphic novels are huge with kids but make up only a very small percentage of what gets published by trade ...more
Heather
So there was supposed to be a sequel and now it’s been five years, so if that tells you how well-liked this book is.

It was just kind of boring? Average maybe?

The art is just okay. Nothing special or original. The storyline is a mix of kind of confusing, overly simplified, and not very exciting. But what made this a truly not so great book was THE DIALOGUE. Awful. It was just so simple. And every thing that happened had to be explained by one of the characters.

Overall, it just wasn’t my favori
Rebecca
Jamie Maltman
My son and I spotted this at the library, looking freshly unread and decided to give it a try. I really didn't know what to expect, but it ended up being a fun timey wimey adventure, despite being based on the Disney World ride/region.

The artwork was solid, and my son appreciated the pages at the back showing one page from script to pencil to ink to final.

The kid characters were a little too stereotypical at the start, not endearing either (the know it all bookworm girl and the bumbling class c
Vince
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alright, if slightly forgettable, concept about space travel and a Disneyland ride. I went into this with expectations of another "Pirates Of The Caribbean" style ride-to-entertainment type thing, it wasn't bad by any means, just not great. Art wasn't the best if a bit questionable at times, same with the plot and the choices of the characters. But I can't be too harsh, this is a graphic novel for kids and it's alright for what it is.
Pj
May 04, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly disappointed in this comic. Yes, I understand the source material (a rollercoaster) gave little with which to work. However, looking at the current Marvel Disney Kingdom's line - currently running Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - I see a way in which that limitation feeds a potentially more satisfying payoff. I admire those involved for their effort and wish them the best for their follow-up projects.
Jonathan H.
A comic about time travel—it was okay overall, but the tie-in to Space Mountain (the Disney ride) was pretty weak. In the book, Space Mountain is some sort of holo-museum that's just floating around in space near the colony for some reason. Why does it need to be free-floating? Why is it shaped like a mountain? These things are never really explained, and it actually plays a very small role in the book. The story itself is okay, but the book just seems like an odd marketing tie-in.
Binky Bowberg
A fun and fast-paced space romp in the year 2125 that is the first of (3?) planned graphic novels by Disney Comics. I really enjoyed the story line and the graphics very much. Two kids - a "book nerd" and a "skateboarder" band together with their "flying-saucer" sidekick to save Space Mountain.
I'm looking forward to the next adventure titled: Tomorrowland.
Kelly
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun Disney sci-fi graphic novel. I am a sucker for time travel stories, so I enjoyed that aspect of it. Great connection for Disneyphiles. Would be a fun book to use as a run up to a trip to a Disney Park.
Maria
Fun start to a new graphic novel series! More detailed review to come.
Jennette
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I pretty much liked the book :D the art on hand i kinda didnt like to much.
Kathy
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loosely tied to the ride, but it was fun to see them sneak in bits from Tomorrowland. Very timey wimey.
Katie Clark
Wish there was some color and the font was larger at times. Lots of action with some character development.
Kelty
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Boring, unoriginal, and predictable storyline, but the cool ink earned it a second star.
Mike
Sep 05, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"You know the first thing that comes to mind when I think about Space Mountain? Time travel!" Said no one ever.
Matthew Holman
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Good comic but the story was a little complex...complex for what appears to be a simple, science fiction adventure comic story...but if you like Disney, this will be an alright read..
Abdul Siddiqui
Jul 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Lacks the narrative tension of other classic sci-fi tales in space, but has a certain 70s charm fans of the genre would appreciate.
Kelly
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A most ingenious paradox
Ian
May 27, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring and incoherent.
Louis Prosperi
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun story with lots of homages to classic Disneyland and Walt Disney World attractions. Looking forward to parts 2 and 3.
Becky
Feb 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was cute, and a fun romp. Though a rather tenuous connection with the Space Mountain ride.
Kate
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
This was a great graphic novel! The only part that tripped me was that they didn't really explain Space Mountain that well and it was hard to understand the point of the book.
Elizabeth
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is better than I thought it would be. I am a big fan of the ride and so I had to get the book! In the end I was presently surprised!
James Czlonka
Oct 20, 2014
Russell Barrett
Mar 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Bryan Q. Miller is an American television and comic writer most notable for his work on the CW’s “Smallville” and DC’s “Batgirl.” (with Stephanie Brown as Batgirl)