Start by marking “How to Get People to Do Stuff: Master the Art and Science of Persuasion and Motivation” as Want to Read:

We all want people to do stuff. Whether you want your customers to buy from you, vendors to give you a good deal, your employees to take more initiative, or your spouse to make dinner--a large amount of everyday is about getting the people around you to do stuff. Instead of using your usual tactics that sometimes work and sometimes don't, what if you could harness the powe ...more
Published March 21st 2013 by New Riders Publishing (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about How to Get People to Do Stuff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Get People to Do Stuff

Tobias Isaac
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
an easy read with a lot of "I knew that (but I've never practiced that)" facts :-)
everyone should read this book :-)
Nakul Shenoy
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Susan takes the idea of teaching influence to the next level by making it very easy to understand. She breaks down the concepts to easily understandable key topics, and shares them as strategies to use. The learnings thus become actionable, and we get to learn which strategy to use in which context. I recommend this one.
Norbert
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well written, and understandable book about 7 drives, and how to use it to understand and influence people. At the end of the book there is a useful section about combining and using them in real life situations.
Karen
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read the book on my library app. Very well organized and easy to pick up and read when you have a few minutes here and there. In fact, that's probably a better way to read it rather than through large sittings because it is a very densely packed book. Every single piece of advice (and there are dozens upon dozens of decent tips) is tried and tested. It's not magic, it's actually hard work to orchestrate it -- but it looks like magic! Worth reading every couple of years, for rejuvenation.

Favourit
Kyle
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Dr. Weinschenk provides a decent overview of many psychological concepts. Many of the concepts are widely known, but it was nice to have them all in the same place. I understand that the goal of the text is to provide a summary, but too many of the concepts were oversimplified. Many of these concepts do not work as broadly or as simple as the text suggests. I would recommend skipping to the sections you are unfamiliar with and spending your time reading those references.
Javier Gonel
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psycology
A short but very condensed read about how conversations can be easier. We all need to interact with other people and many times conversations start very wrong ending in disagreements. This book gathers a ton of tips with explanations and examples on how to prepare a conversation so they're more productive.

"Do Stuff" can be thought as manipulation, but it is more about preparing the conversation context and learning from the people you're talking to.
Dana
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Easy read with some cool pointers. It had a bit of a dip here and there, but all in all insightful.

The book cover is admittedly a bit awkward though, so I had to hide it when I was out with people.
Krista
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the concepts in this book and jotted down several strategies to apply in my work life (project/technical management) and personally (marriage & parenting). I appreciated the references to studies that support the concepts and provide some “intellectual” data.
Orban
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book showed and explained us more than hundreds of practical advises how to deal with situations.
Christopher Lim
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
It's a quick read through a bunch of psychology topics for persuasion. I think it's helpful as a reference/survey book.
Nguyễn Khải
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: softskill
A lot of useful tips.
Daniela D
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent summary of all the theories in human behavior very well organized and ready to be applied for any situation where you need to convince yourself or others around you to do something good.
Caitlin
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
I found the most useful chapter to be the last one which ran through a number of practical examples.
Edric Subur
Nov 19, 2014 rated it liked it
I was really inspired in increasing my influence and persuasion skill after finishing Steve Job's biography. After laying out a selection of influence books I finally settled on this one, being really compelled by its title; simple and clear cut, how to get people to do stuff. The book however turned out to be not what I was really looking for. I was looking for techniques in influencing people around me, to make myself more convincing, my point more sound. The book however covers a slightly bro ...more
Wilte
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Very basic, introductionary text on behavior change. Bite size tips, that are also repeated at the end of the book. Nice overview of literature, good starter-book I guess. Some parts were haphazard collection of interesting psychology papers. And many tips are fairly superficial and hollow (something like: "do it right", "tell a good story"). I also did not care too much about the personal anecdotes that were to illustrate examples (poorly at times).

A couple of quotable open doors (or more benig
Dorene
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
If you have studied or done much reading about leadership and the art of leading you will find this book very elementary and superficial (The title certainly does hint at this, doesn't it?). The author highlights basic principles of employee buy-in via simplistic situation-based examples that may or may not be business related. Unfortunately, however, she also sometimes encourages manipulative tactics that, in my opinion, are only effective for short term gain if at all successful and can be det ...more
Jesse Biroscak
Aug 31, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is good - really good. And it'll certainly help you to understand how to get people to do stuff. However, if you don't read it a few times or truly internalize it, it can be difficult to feel like you got your money's worth.

There are strategies listed inside the book that you can do, but I would really only focus on one at a time until you do them without thinking. Even after trying to do that, I still find that I forget to execute as Weinschenk instructs.

Definitely recommended, assu
Luke Gruber
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you're fascinated by psychology and human behavior you'll love this book. Weinschenk is an incredibly smart PHD psychologist. Although this book aims to "get people to do stuff", it's enlightening to realize some of the unconscience drivers to my own behavior. There's so much packed in this book, I sometimes wished she elaborated and spent more time on a few great topics. Enlightening book. It's very good.
Ryotaro Nagasawa
Oct 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Bought at DMA2013.
Concise and to the point. It's more like an accumulation of tips, rather than strategies which the author mentions. They are surely actionable and worth trying.
Each one of tip maybe useful, but since it is extracted from various scientific experiment I doubt there may be some contradictory tip with each other seen as a whole. But I can't tell because there so many of them.
A bit superficial overall, I'd say.
Ann
Apr 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading challenge #21 A nonfiction book

I have been to several psychology trainings lately and our teacher has recommended this book more than once. It fit into my reading challenge category so why not?

How to Get People to Do Stuff is full of useful (and some not so useful) strategies. Nothing revolutionary but good to learn and relearn some things.
Lasse Olsen
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: get-smarter

Filip Rublev
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the third Susan Weinschenk book I was fortunate to enjoy. As usually, the book is entertaining, practical, and has many pieces of advice that can be applied tomorrow.
Stacy Taylor
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, work, 2017
A lot of repetition from her other books, so if you've read those you can probably skip this.
Carielyn Mills
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
how the mind works in very brief explanations. quotes a lot of other popular regular-length recent brain books.
Kim
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a useful & usable intro to using psychology in design, especially for anyone trying to move online metrics.
Rodion Krivoshein
A lot of surprising insights on various human behavior quirks.
Melissa
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good practical advice, sometimes a little generic but I definitely learned some techniques to try in daily life.
Conrad Chamerski
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good tips on how to get people to do stuff based on facts.
Tai Tai
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
perfect companion to 'Persuasion' by Robert Cialdini

• It's Our Research
  • Microinteractions: Designing with Details
  • Seductive Interaction Design: Creating Playful, Fun, and Effective User Experiences
  • Articulating Design Decisions: Communicate with Stakeholders, Keep Your Sanity, and Deliver the Best User Experience
  • Implementing Responsive Design: Building Sites for an Anywhere, Everywhere Web
  • Understanding Context: Environment, Language, and Information Architecture
  • Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services
  • A Practical Guide to Information Architecture
  • Designing Social Interfaces
  • Universal Methods of Design: 100 Ways to Research Complex Problems, Develop Innovative Ideas, and Design Effective Solutions
  • The Mobile Frontier: A Guide for Designing Mobile Experiences
  • Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests
  • On Web Typography
  • The Discipline of Organizing
  • SmartTribes: How Teams Become Brilliant Together
  • Designing the Obvious: A Common Sense Approach to Web Application Design
  • UX Strategy: How to Devise Innovative Digital Products That People Want
  • Interviewing Users: How to Uncover Compelling Insights
Susan Weinschenk has a Ph.D. in Psychology and over 30 years of experience as a behavioral psychologist. She applies neuroscience to predict, understand, and explain what motivates people and how to get people to take action.

Dr. Weinschenk is the author of several books, including How To Get People To Do Stuff, 100 Things Every Presenter Needs To Know About People, 100 Things Every Designer Needs
“We like to think that we’re independent thinkers, that we’re unique individuals. The truth is, however, that the need to fit in and belong is wired into our brains and our biology.” 4 likes
“Note My favorite book on body language is The Silent Language of Leaders: How Body Language Can Help—or Hurt—How You Lead by Carol Kinsey Goman (Jossey-Bass, 2011).” 0 likes