Start by marking “Zits: Chillax” as Want to Read:
Zits: Chillax

Zits: Chillax (Zits novel)

Jeremy Duncan, future rock god, is going to his first real rock concert (Gingivitis rules!) without his parents (hallelujah!) and with a mission in mind. It'll be an epic night he'll never forget.

Comics genius Stan Lee calls Zits "a comedic masterpiece."

Featuring black-and-white illustrations on every page, Zits: Chillax is based on the hit syndicated comic strip.
Published May 21st 2013 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Zits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zits

Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
When I was a kid I loved reading the comic pages of the newspaper, or the 'funnies' as we always called them in my family. Zits, tragically accurate name aside, was always one of my favorites, perhaps even the favorite comic strip. Given that love, I was curious when I saw this book around, so when my dear friend Lenore (author of The Memory of After) offered me her ARC, I went for it. This novelization of the comic strip series was enjoyable if not quite as awesome as the strip itself.

While thi
Colleen
Jun 13, 2013 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tripp-shelf
Tripp read this!

Everyone knows the comics in the newspaper are a very funny part of the day. Now, Jerry Scott and Jim Borgman, the writers of the comic Zits, just released a new book called Zits: Chillax, about Jeremy, Hector and the rest of the Zits gang! This is an awesome book for kids who love the original comic and even for those who haven’t read it!

This story starts when Jeremy and Hector get tickets for the best rock band in the world, Gingivitis. They still have to get permission from th
Dugger
Jan 19, 2014 Dugger rated it liked it
Shelves: a-z-titles-2014
Enjoyable reading turning the comic strip into a graphic novel.
Travis
Jul 10, 2014 Travis rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Sixteen-year-old Jeremy is a future rock god. Jeremy’s band practices every Saturday and he’s been learning the guitar part for “Quintuple Amputee.” If he can just figure out that crazy chord the guitar player for Gingivitis, the “best guitar mayhem band since Flatulent Rat,” uses, he would really get a feel for the heart of the song – too bad that chord is so tough to play it’s rumored to have been outlawed in a few southern states. That’s a different story, though. The real story here is that ...more
Michael Rhode
Jun 20, 2013 Michael Rhode rated it liked it
Zits: Chillax (Harper, $9.99) by Jerry Scott and Jim Borgman is an illustrated novel, a form that's made a popular comeback in the comics world with the success of Wimpy Kid. The genre is old though - I've got a copy of Skippy by Percy Crosby from 1929 sitting next to my computer as I type this. Borgman's illustrations are integral to the story, as the text quits and let the picture carry the story at times.

I had no idea that a Zits young adult novel was coming out, and was rather surprised to g
Ms. Yingling
Mar 13, 2013 Ms. Yingling rated it really liked it
Jeremy and his friend Hector have gotten tickets for the Gingivitis rock concert from their friend Tim, but there are two problems standing in their way of complete enjoyment-- they are not sure that their parents will let them go, and Tim is selling the tickets only because he has to donate bone marrow to his mother because she has cancer. Being the sensitive and supportive friends they are, Jeremy and Hector try to find a way to support Tim. Pierce shaves his head in solidarity (so does his mo ...more
Jen
Feb 20, 2017 Jen rated it liked it
I liked the idea of this book, and there were some funny parts. But it wasn't nearly as entertaining as the comic strip. Perhaps my teen son will enjoy it more; I found that reading from the kid's perspective just didn't appeal to me that much as a parent.
Elusive Controversé
Jan 23, 2016 Elusive Controversé rated it liked it
Shelves: review
In ‘Zits: Chillax’, Jeremy is excited to experience his first ever rock concert of his favourite band ‘Gingivitis’. However, he has to find a way to make sure that he can attend it as he knows his parents wouldn’t approve.

As expected, this featured Zits’ usual sense of humour hence there was plenty of sarcasm and fun banters. Despite enjoying this, I found the content to be somewhat lacking. For one thing, it’s inevitable that of course Jeremy would succeed in his quest to attend the much-antic
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Sep 21, 2013 Erik This Kid Reviews Books rated it it was amazing
Jeremy felt helpless that his friend(Tim)’s mom got cancer. Jeremy and his friends were finally going to get to go to an epic rock concert without any parents (the band they want to see is called Gingivitis) but Tim is donating bone marrow for his mom on that night. Jeremy and his best friends Hector, Pierce, Sara (Jeremy’s girlfriend) and Dijon (Sara’s BFF) try to figure out how to help Tim. Sara and Dijon decide to go with Tim to the hospital when he donated the marrow, Pierce shaves his head ...more
Ashley
Apr 04, 2013 Ashley rated it liked it
Shelves: blog, 2013
Originally posted at yAdult Review

While not a full length novel, I am fully in love with Zits: Chillax. It’s Jeremy’s coming of age story told much how the daily funnies are, but with a bit more substance. I also relate to Jeremy and the way that he deals with his parents. The fact that they force him to get out of bed and talk is a lot for Jeremy most days. And no matter who you are, when you’re a teen there are many days that you just want to lay in your bed and ignore the world.

This book also
April
Feb 09, 2013 April rated it liked it
I somehow did not even know that the word “chillax” was still a thing. I was unaware that people still used it seriously, given that it was cool when I was in high school like 10 years ago. I mean, we would put up AIM away messages (LOL, remember those?) saying things like “just chillaxing with my girls – hit me up”. So, yeah I guess just hearing some old slang causes me to ramble on and on and on. It also causes me to pick up a book, Zits: Chillax by Jerry Scott and Jim Borgman in particular. A ...more
Christina
Oct 27, 2014 Christina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, graphicnovels
Very funny and heartwarming novel by the author and illustrator of the Zits comic strip--heavily illustrated like Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Dork Diaries. The main plot is that Jeremy and his best friend Hector have tickets to go see their favorite rock band, but their friend Tim isn't going--because he's going to accompany his mom to cancer treatments. Jeremy and Hector decide that going to the concert will be their way of showing support for Tim--and to use this as their justification to their pa ...more
Adriana
Aug 01, 2013 Adriana rated it it was amazing
I love this series in comic form and fell even deeper thanks to this novel.
All the fun, insightful truths that make Zits so funny are still there. The wit and sarcasm, the unique yet familiar way that Jeremy sees the world, is perfectly translated into long form.
It all comes together with the great illustrations by Jim Borgman to tell a great and entertaining story.
Jeremy’s first solo concert adventure coincides with his friend Tim’s mother getting diagnosed with cancer. Jerry Scott does an exc
Elaine Wong
Aug 20, 2013 Elaine Wong rated it liked it
It's an okay read, but Jerry Scott's strength is in shorter writing, not this.

I like the Zits comic, so when I got a gift card I picked this up. The plot is a typical teenager coming-of-age story: realizing that there are bigger things in the universe than your own tiny world. Yet by the end of the book I was a touch disappointed, as I don't think Jeremy walked away with a life lesson learned (unless this is typical for teenage boys? I was never one.).

The humour is great (a lot of small chuckles
Chris
May 10, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book through a giveaway on Goodreads. Jeremy Duncan is a typical teenage kid, he feels his parents don't understand him and he has an "Ohio Hot" girlfriend named Sara. He plays in a band with his best friend Hector, and their friends Tim and Pierce. He also owns a VW van with more issues than Playboy. Jeremy and Hector have received tickets to see their favorite band, Gingivitis, from Tim. They soon learn that Tim had to give up the tickets because his mother has cancer ...more
Tom Franklin
Aug 23, 2013 Tom Franklin rated it it was amazing
The authors/illustrators of the Zits comic strip have done a remarkable job in expanding the characters into a full-length novel, integrating the prose with original drawings. And by doing so they give their main character,Jeremy, some much-needed depth (as they do for Hector, Pierce, and the oft-forgotten Tim).

The story deals with Jeremy and Hector going to a concert by their Rock God heroes, Gingivitis, a serious health scare, friendship, and, of course, a bit of growing up. Like the comic st
Savannah
Jul 19, 2013 Savannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-shelf
3.5 stars. I love Zits the comic, that's why I entered to win this book on a giveaway. So when I won I was pretty happy!

Anyway, I wasn't sure what to expect with this book, but I actually really liked it. It made me laugh and it was a really good, pretty light read (it was a nice break from the somewhat intense books I've been reading lately).

I recommend this book for people of all ages, except maybe younger kids, depending on maturity level I guess.

I liked that it was half written, half comi
Samma
Apr 10, 2013 Samma rated it really liked it
So, I wasn't sure what I was expecting when I picked this up --but I was excited. The low down is this: Tim (the drummer of the band) sells Jeremy and Hector his tickets to the upcoming Gingivitis concert because...he'll be busy that night, donating bone marrow because his Mom has cancer.

DOWNER.

The guys go on an epic adventure "for Tim", hoping to bring him back an awesome souvenir...and lets just say, the best laid plans don't always go well...especially where Jeremy and Hector are concerned!

I
Chris
Apr 04, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it
Got this ARC as a Goodreads Giveaway. As a big fan of Zits I really enjoyed this one. Great story, loved how the comic was spun into a novel and how it was written so well from Jeremy's point of view. The plot itself had such touching moments and found how each character dealt with the main issue (cancer) in different ways. The sketches and drawings throughout the book were lovely, adding more humor to the book, and the antics of Jeremy and Hector were hilarious as ever. A book I read in one sit ...more
Miriam
May 17, 2013 Miriam rated it liked it
Really a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to sharing it with teens and adults who, I think, will all guffaw at the exaggeratedly self-centered, self-serving logic of Jeremy Duncan. His "insights" into dealing with the opposite sex, manipulating adults and achieving rock-stardom blend familiar tropes with an unusual manner of expression that's quite endearing. Altogether, reading it was like having a teenage boy back in my house--something that might be more enjoyable in memory than in actual prac ...more
Jeff
May 21, 2013 Jeff rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
***WON VIA "GOODREADS GIVEAWAYS"***

The teen years are a time of in-betweens, when one is neither an adult with all of its stresses, nor a child with blind innocence and naivety. Zits is a very popular comic that I was unacquainted with until I received my ARC yesterday. The book is a quick read, both funny and serious, that details the adventure (and ensuing hijinks) the main character and his friend Hector embark on to see their favorite band play in concert. Both teens and adults will find t
NixLapi
May 07, 2013 NixLapi rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I won an ARC cop via Goodreads, and while I enjoyed it, I did not love it.

Chances are you'll pick this up because you love the comic strip. I can't imagine it's easy to transition characters from strip to novel, and the writing just did not grab me or keep me interested. I wanted more companion illustrations, and a lighter, easier prose.

This book may be a good way to get reluctant younger readers into novels, through familiar characters, but overall I don't think transitioning the Zits character
Thomas Edmund
Sep 29, 2013 Thomas Edmund rated it it was amazing
I always think of Jeremy as Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes fame) as a teenager. Zits Chillax is a book form of a regular cartoon strip of his funny shenanigans, in slightly more long-term perspective (i.e. 15 minute story rather than 30 seconds.)

While I really enjoyed it I have to say the best parts were the comic gags between the prose, which is not to say the story was bad, simply that the strength of Zits is still in the cartoon.
I'm a fan of the comic strip so when this chapter book came along, I was so excited to see it, I just dove right in. There are still some illustrations in it which make it a super quick read. I laughed out loud throughout. The only thing that might have made the book even better would be a bit more Pierce, as he's way more entertaining than Hector, in my opinion. Good stuff! If another Zits chapter book comes out, it'll go to the top of my to-read list.
Amy
May 19, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
I think this book was fabulously illustrated. I like that style of art. It looked like they were sketches. The story wasn't really what I liked. However, I am not going to rate it less, because this book wasn't intended for someone my age. If I take it for what it is, the story was about a teenager trying to go on an adventure. The book did a good job of telling that story, using elementary school language.
Tj Moore
Jul 18, 2013 Tj Moore rated it it was amazing
I love the Zits cartoon! This book was absolutely hilarious, and anyone who has had a teenage son can certainly identify with the story. This was a book I found I couldn't put down, not my "normal" kind of reading, but purely a comical journey. Passing this one on to one of my sisters as I know she will enjoy it as much as I did. Strongly recommend this for anyone who loves to read.
Lavaris
this book about zits in his friends made a music band in a new kid in town just jump on to there band because there could not find there friend for nothing so they told the new kid he can get on there band because there friend was not there so the new kid he was bad druming so they keep practicing tell he got good at it s they start have a band in start playing in front of a lot of people.
Caressa
Jun 06, 2016 Caressa rated it it was ok
Needed a quick, easy read I knew I wouldn't be emotionally attached to and this book was perfect. I'm not really sure, however, what the target demographic was. It had the writing style of a lower level middle grade read but the content of ya book, and I don't think it compliments the demographic of the comic strip.
Patti
I really enjoyed this book that was a novel with comic pages and scenes illustrating it. It was a lot of fun, but also took on a serious issue; one of Jeremy's friends' mom has cancer, and Jeremy friend is a good match to be a bone marrow donor for his own mom. Jeremy is a good kid, and I adore him.
Jennavier
Aug 22, 2013 Jennavier rated it really liked it
Not what I expected in a good way. I've been a long time fan of zits the comic strip. When I found out they were doing a YA graphic novel I was a little dubious. Turns out it works. The story was fine, it's the illustrations that really make it. My husband loved it, I was a little less enthused but still enjoyed it.
  • AAAA!: A FoxTrot Assortment for Non-Adults
  • Larry in Wonderland: A Pearls Before Swine Collection
  • Darius  Twig
  • Leaving Home (Persia Blues #1)
  • The Piano (The Dreamer, #1)
  • Katie Friedman Gives Up Texting! And Lives to Tell About It. (A Charlie Joe Jackson Spinoff)
  • The Case of the Vanishing Honeybees: A Scientific Mystery
  • The Awkward Yeti's Complete Lack of Focus: Volume 1
  • We Are Experiencing Parental Difficulties...Please Stand by: Baby Blues Scrapbook No. 5
  • Krent Able's Big Book Of Mischief
119259
Jerry Scott is an American cartoonist. He is the creator of Baby Blues and co-creator of Zits.
More about Jerry Scott...

Zits novel (2 books)