Start by marking “The Girl Who Married an Eagle: A Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Married an Eagle: A Mystery

The Girl Who Married an Eagle: A Mystery

(Amanda Brown #4)

The final book Tamar Myers's Belgian Congo-set mystery series, this is the story of an all girls boarding school for runaway child brides, and features events inspired by Myers's childhood in the Belgian Congo.

When Julia Elaine Newton, a young, pretty Ohio girl, volunteered to go on a mission to the Belgian Congo, she knew it was going to be a huge change. But she never ex
Published April 30th 2013 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Married an Eagle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Who Married an Eagle

Judie
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First, the bad news: This is the final book in Tamar Myers’s Belgian Congo series. It takes place in 1959, a few months before the country achieved independence.
Now, the good news: It is one of, if not the best of her books. A wonderful story told with wit, humor, interesting characters, respect and understanding. It talks of beauty, sex, warfare, love, racism, laws, oppression, and human relations.
Ohioan Julia Newton, fresh out of college, heard a missionary from Africa speak at her middle-o
Jes Jones
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I entered the giveaway for this book strictly because the title alone caught my attention. I assumed it to be something about a tribe's culture because anything about the American lifestyle wouldn't have marriage and eagle in the same sentence. The assumption proved to be correct. The book revolves around the Congo and child-brides that run away from their husbands and wind up (possibly unintentionally) at this missionary center.

The bo
Linda
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay Book

This book was ok. It seemed to jump around and the ending seemed to come so suddenly. I did like the Afterword. The way some of the missionaries treated the natives annoyed me. The missionaries I've met are nothing like those in the book. My favorite character is Clementine.
Abby Hogan
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
loved it
McKenzie
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Didn't expect it to end as it did. I can tell it's not necessarily part of a series, but that the author's other books fit into the same universe. I hope I am a Julia. I aspire to be a Clementine.
Nancy A Faussett
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Probably the best of the 4 books I've read by this author... same setting as the other 3 and a few of the same characters.
Reeka (BoundbyWords)
As seen on my blog:

The Girl Who Married an Eagle was poignant, engaging, and read like a plot line for a well acted, potentially award-winning, movie. It is the last in a four-part mystery series set in the Belgian Congo in the 1950's, which was a little disappointing to realize at first, because I figured I'd be going into a plot line with already established characters, and moments. I was soon proven wrong, as I became familiar and attached to characters that were reintroduced seamlessly an
Luanne Ollivier
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5/5

I've often picked up a number of Tamar Myers' books for some of my 'cozy mysteries' displays at the library. She writes the Den of Antiquity as well as the Pennsylvania-Dutch with recipes series.

But she also pens a third set of books that are quite different. These books are all set in Africa - the Belgian Congo - in the 1950's. The Girl Who Married an Eagle is the fourth book in this set.

Julia Newton is entranced by a missionary's talk at her church in Ohio in the 1950's. The subject - the
Sandie
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Julia Newton realizes she may have made a big mistake. An Ohio native and a recent college graduate, she can't imagine anything more exciting and satisfying than serving as a missionary in the Belgian Congo. She goes there to serve in a school set up to protect young girl brides sold to older men who have run away from their fate.

But Africa isn't anything like what Julia expected. The natives don't seem particularly grateful; instead they are quick to let her know that the white man is ugly and
Kari
Apr 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I had to take a bit to think about this book and decide if I liked it. The Girl Who Married an Eagle is apparently the fourth book in a series about the Belgian Congo in the 1950s. I haven't read the first three books, but I didn't really feel like I was missing anything. The book is beautifully written. I enjoyed the descriptions of the landscape and life in that time as a missionary. The author did a wonderful and realistic job of portraying the brutality and harshness of tribal life. No doubt ...more
Amy
Actual review 3.5 stars

I'm only 3/4th of the way through this book, but I'm actually really disappointed in it. this has been a great series and now in the last book Amanda is barely a foot note, not to mention some other characters we've been following. (view spoiler)
Neelofer Gul
Dec 19, 2016 marked it as to-read
i think that it might be a novel or story book where there might be a girl whose hobby is to play and make fun with birds at last she loved eagle and then marry it.
Edelweiss
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Though a mystery novel, there was little actual mystery involved, but that doesn't really detract from my enjoyment of the novel. We follow (mainly) the adventures of a new, unprepared missionary to the Congo in 1959, through her eyes and those around her. We also follow a child bride, who (view spoiler) She is found by the heroine, a widower/missionary, and his intelligent young daughter on the road (vi ...more
Tiffany
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I wouldn't describe this as a mystery so much as a suspense novel, but either way you cut the roast, it's good! I've always been fascinated with stories of the Congo -- Barbara Kingsolver's "The Poisonwood Bible" is one of my all-time favorite books -- and Myers does not disappoint. Her plot is exquisitely executed, even given the relatively few number of pages devoted to something as emotionally and politically charged as child-brides. Her laugh-out-loud humor and way of poking fun at aspects o ...more
Jessica McReaderpants
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, it was an easy fun read that was also informative. It seemed that the author had spent some time in Africa or else had researched the crap out of it because it was filled with little facts and mannerisms that painted a interesting story.
I loved the little girl Clementine
This reminded me of the novels about a typewriter lady in africa who solves mysteries. the name escapes me now.
Melissa
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love the diversity and depth of the characters.

I fully recommend this book to those looking for a quick read that will thrust you into the heart of Africa with characters you will never forget.

Check out my blog for my full review: http://tubchairtimes.blogspot.ca/2013...
Norma Huss
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the 4th in Tamar Myers' Africa books. Since this was her life as a child, she knows the people and the times. She has created stories that one could image hearing in a village setting, each one centered on a different character. But her stories are a combination of characters that blend into a well-told, suspenseful plot.
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Final book in the Amanda Brown/Belgian Congo series. Although Amans is not the central character in this book. There's a new, young missionary named Julia. Child brides are the focus in thos book. Julia is the new Amanda Brown and Henry, the widowed missionary with a precosiously clever daughter, is the the new Captain Jardin. Of course Cripple is there, with a new baby in tow.
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Okay, but it was really hard to get through the discrimination that was part of the culture in that part of the world. It also brought up the horrible way the Christians came in and tried to dominate while belittling the natives. Sad.
Debbie
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I can't believe this is the last in the series. Too many things not wrapped up. I don't know why they keep insisting as selling the book as a mystery. Most certainly is not. It is an entertaining, often humorous look at clashing cultures in the waning days of Belgian rule in the Congo.
Lorraine M. Thompson
The character development by Myers is well-done. I have been reading Bradley's Flavia de Luce series and find that his character (Flavia) and Myers's character, Cripple, have many similar traits: smart, independent thinkers, unique, ground breakers, shrewd...
Dina Tanners
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I very much enjoy the author's recreating of life in the Belgian Congo 50 years ago, especially recreating the thoughts of the native people of that time. I do hope that the author writes more books in this vein.
Mom
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was delicious and a totally unexpected gift from the library.

What's even better is that it's based on events which happened to the writer when she was a child living in the Congo with her parents.

Imaginative, humorous, heart warming.......even her head hunters have charm.
Gwyneth
Aug 03, 2013 rated it liked it
A book about colonial Congo missionaries. Wasn't quite sure how it was going to work because the first 3/4 covers a few months then it jumps ahead 10-15 years to wrap it up. I liked the idea, but it felt jumpy. Not sure I would read another one in her series but always enjoy an Africa book.
Tamara
My first Tamar Myers book- interesting story.

My review:

Traveling With T
Lisa Bryant
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I hear this is the final book of this series which makes me sad. This book was a fun read with fabulous new characters along with a brief visit with old favorite characters. I wish the author would spin off a series with the Great Distraction. ;)
Barbara
Nov 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
Deleted - not my type of book
Megan
Jun 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Just when I had fallen in like with the characters it ended abruptly. It had a great plot but it didn't go anywhere. I was left wanting to know what was going to happen next!
Theresa
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the first in a series of books on The Congo in the late 1950s. I enjoyed this story and most likely will read another in this series. A quick read! I recommend this book!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Land Of Mountains
  • The Dagger Before Me (Persephone Cole Vintage Mystery, #1)
  • Camp Follower (A Mystery of the American Revolution # 3)
  • The Rainaldi Quartet (Castiglione and Guastafeste, #1)
  • Present Darkness (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #4)
  • One Tough Cookie (Carol Sabala Mystery #2)
  • Cold Sassy Tree / Leaving Cold Sassy
  • Yesterday's Body
  • Death by a Dark Horse (Thea Campbell Mysteries, #1)
  • Air Time (Charlotte McNally, #3)
  • The Winter of Her Discontent (Rosie Winter, #2)
  • The Lost Spy (Slim Moran Mysteries, #1)
  • A Scrying Shame
  • Ant Farm (Seamus McCree #1)
  • Land Sharks - A Swindle in Sumatra (Land Sharks, #1)
  • Precious and the Mystery of Meerkat Hill (Precious Ramotswe's Very First Cases, #2)
  • Promise the Night
  • The Ponds of Kalambayi
Tamar Myers was born and raised in the Belgian Congo (now just the Congo). Her parents were missionaries to a tribe which, at that time, were known as headhunters and used human skulls for drinking cups. Hers was the first white family ever to peacefully coexist with the tribe, and Tamar grew up fluent in the local trade language. Because of her pale blue eyes, Tamar’s nickname was Ugly Eyes.

Tamar

Amanda Brown (4 books)
  • The Witch Doctor's Wife (Amanda Brown #1)
  • The Headhunter's Daughter
  • The Boy Who Stole the Leopard's Spots (Amanda Brown, #3)