Start by marking “Dig, Dogs, Dig: A Construction Tail” as Want to Read:
Dig, Dogs, Dig: A Construction Tail

Dig, Dogs, Dig: A Construction Tail

Hop in your trucks. There's work to be done.

Get to the job site. Run, dogs, run!

Top dog Duke leads a busy work crew to a new construction site. All sorts of dogs have plenty to do before the day is out. These clever dogs will dig, haul, push, plow, and even bring in a crane to build a new park. But what happens when they find something unexpected buried deep in the ground?
Published April 30th 2013 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Dig, Dogs, Dig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dig, Dogs, Dig

Margaret Chind
This is a fun lyrical book full of rhymes. The illustrations are full and definitely bound to entertain and keep a young reader occupied. The humor within is definitely giggle-worthy. I wouldn't hesitate to look for something more from James Horvath in the future as this debut has pleased me.

Update: Looking forward to Build, Dogs, Build: A Tall Tail!

Thanks to HC.
Maddypictures
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Go, Dog, Go meets your favorite construction book in this entertaining rhyming picture book. The dogs living situation is a bit reminiscent of a firehouse - but these dogs are ready for some construction work instead. Even the lines such as, "Run, dogs, run!" and "Dig, dogs, dig!" reminded me of Go, Dog, Go. They uncover a dinosaur bone, while building a park that eventually the whole community can enjoy. Colorful digital illustrations with plenty of full-bleed pages are vibrant and appealing. E ...more
Sheila Sapienza
"Dig Dogs Dig," written and illustrated by James Horvath, is an excellent book! Ask my four year old grandson about it! It's a fun story to read, the rhymes and the illustrations are cheery, the story fast-moving,and the topic holds lessons on teamwork and sharing. Also, lots of new vocabulary introduced in terms of construction equipment and duties. Illustrations clearly reinforce new vocabulary. As a former educator and as a grandma, I recommend this lively book.
Finn Pennekamp
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If there was a Venn Diagram and one circle was FOR BOYS WHO LOVE DOGS, another was FOR BOYS WHO LOVE TRUCKS, and a third was FOR BOYS WHO LIKE DINOSAURS -- this book would be right in the middle! Which is exactly where I am!!!!!
Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner)
Super cute! The little boy I nanny loved it because he is obsessed with construction and knows all the different equipment.
Michael N'
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If P.D. Eastman's book, Go, Dog, Go! got married to Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site, and they had a child, it would be named Dig, Dogs, Dig. And as wonderful as those parents are, this child would actually be smarter than it's parents and better looking too. We can't wait for the next book by James Horvath to land bedside soon!
Larry Patterson
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought the book was great. Loved the story and the pictures. My granddaughters loved the book and enjoyed looking for the hidden surprise on each page. Can't wait for the next book in what I hope will be a long series.
Kimberly
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My 6-year-old son loves this series! It's his favorite -- combining the things he loves most -- dogs and construction.
Amanda Goodrich
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The amazing illustrations are what brought me to this book. Giving it to my 7 year old son for Christmas and I just know he will love it!!!
Daniel
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a favorite in our house and I've read it aloud at least 2 dozen times (if not more). There are several aspects of this book that I enjoy. The pages have a lot going on in them that make it enjoyable for multiple reads. e.g., you can usually find something new in the page. I first read this book to my son when he was 2 but now that he is nearly 4, we read it in a different way. Originally, it was reading the book and looking at the pictures. Now that he is older, it's "can you find t ...more
Neurocomp
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
3rd book just as good as the other 2 for the nephew
but i'm strating not to liek reading them repetively....but its great the nephew is finishing the sentecs himself.
Daniel Fevrin
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very cute book and it introduced my son to some new words.
Miss Sarah
A construction crew of dogs is busy clearing a plot of land and running into trouble. Can they get the job done? Length is one on one or preschool and up
Kelly
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice rhyming book about construction dogs. Bright illustrations.
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
Dogs, Heavy Construction Equipment... What More Can A Kid Want!

Duke, Roxy, Buddy, Max, Spot and Spike. They are DOGS AT WORK!

In this case they are building a park.

There are tons of things we like about this book. First of all, it's a good Read-aloud for me. The rhymes work and they aren't a challenge for me to get the rhythm right.

"There's trouble in the pit.
We've hit something big.
Get down in the hold and
dig, dogs, dig!"

For the kids the artwork is just great. It's bright and colorful and filled
Tee Jay
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Our grandchildren ages 2-6 both boys and girls, all love this book. I think it is because James Horvath's illustrations are delightful and tell "more of the story." The story is told in fun and quick paced rhyme. It is a basic construction tale, but those are the ones my two year old loves best. With this one he laughs and laughs and points out the funny slippers, and the odd places the dogs are sleeping, and giggles over how they stretch in the morning and says "not safe" about the dog standing ...more
Jennifer Heise
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beekman, trucks
My five year old construction fan ADORES this book!
It's a pretty basic theme: a construction crew rolls out in the morning and builds something over the course of the day. But in this case, they are (anthropomorphized) dogs, and cute dogs at that. (There's also a crew cat, but it appears to be more of a pet/recurring detail.) Of course, at the end of only one day (As in Bang! Boom! Roar! A Busy Crew of Dinosaurs and Dinosaurs Dig!) the crew constructs and entire [what turns out to be] park in a
Ms. Yingling
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
In this colorful book for emergent readers, a team of construction dogs gather their equipment and set out to build a park. They run into a small glitch when they dig up a dinosaur bone, but soon have the park site graded and ready for the trees, ponds and benches that comprise the park. There is even a place to put the T. Rex bone that was unearthed.

I Can Read books do a great job of putting limited amount of text on the page and supporting that text with pictures so that readers can take visu
Destiny Dawn Long
It was kind of cute as far as picture books go, and I borrowed it from the library because I like to expose my daughter to a broad range of books. And, being that I'm descended from a long line of carpenters, I thought a book about construction would be fun.

The illustrations are playful, and the rhyming text is fun. But there are a couple of big problems with the book. The first is that the only female dog on the construction team really doesn't do much in terms of contributing to the team. She
Melanie
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog, childrens
My kids definitely liked this book a little more than me, but in saying that it is still a great read with lots of details in the pictures and an easy read. Basically it's a book about a team of construction dogs that build a park. It is written in rhyme, but this is where for the me the book let itself down slightly, on some pages the rhymes just didn't flow and were a little hard to get into the rhythm of them, but as I said the kids loved it anyway. The pictures and the story though are great ...more
Bari
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Great read aloud book and perfect for story time. I recently used this book for story time with children ages 18m to 3yrs. The children (moslty girls) could not wait for me to see what happens next.

The dogs work for a construction company and are hired to tear down a crumbling building and then build a new one. With brightly colored pictures depicting the different trucks and equipment used, to dogs wearing hard hats and rich vocabulary this book will be popular. By the end of the story the chi
Kim
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway.

Very colorful book- so cool to have it signed by the author with a little picture he drew! My copy also came with some stickers, coloring pages, and word game.

This book is amazing. Kids will love the rhyming, and they'll love yelling out things like "Dig, dogs, dig!". They'll also love all the great illustrations and the pictures of dump trucks, loaders, bulldozers, etc. The details and general "busyness" of the pictures will keep kids interested too. They
Tricia
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Great book for toddlers who love Construction. Our favorite part of this book is the front and back where they name each of the main characters, it really helped my son connect with the book. He has to point out each one on every page and has even started assigning family members (Henry is Buddy, Daddy is Duke, Mommy is Max, Cookie is Roxy, etc.) This book has a lot of the same rhymes as Work Dogs Work but is still different enough to be interesting. If your kid likes parks or dinosaurs this one ...more
John Konrad
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children ages 1 to 5
Recommended to John by: My 5 year old daughter
Often I am skeptical of first time authors, especially when it comes to children's books but this book is fantastic because it engages your child and effectively illustrates the different construction vehicles. You'll find a smooth sing-song, rhyming cadence in Dig Dogs Dig along with beautiful drawings and fun loving character.

Amazon lists the recommended ages of this book as 4-8 but I can say with certainty that children of all ages, from 1 and up (maybe even younger) will enjoy this book.

My t
Cemeread
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
There is plenty to look at in the bright, detailed illustrations of this book,like the black cat that appears in almost every spread. Even so, each machine is clearly identified and it's easy to tell which construction machine's job is being described on each page. The rhyming text flows well. One wonders why the dogs don't take a chew break after finding a T. Rex, but they have more to do for the job. Children may realize a park is being built, but will they know it's a dinosaur bone park?!

pres
Leslie Fisher
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I absolutely love these books. They are brightly illustrated and have fun rhymes that describe what goes on in construction. I used to work in construction before becoming a SAHM, so these books are a fun way to show my kids what I used to do when I was working. My kids really like the books, too (they are preschool/kinder age), and they really like looking at all the different pieces of construction equipment, learning what they do, and they like that the story is made up of dogs (including one ...more
The Library Lady
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Dang, I think I need a second copy of this one because it should be popular. And happily, it DESERVES to be popular.

It has dogs. It has construction vehicles--lots of vehicles of all kinds. It has a DINOSAUR bone!
And it has a black cat that I am sure is NOT the dogs' pet, but the boss of the whole outfit. Heh,heh, heh...

It has bright, action packed pictures (too much going on to make this a good story time pick, I think) and it has rhymes that work.

As I said, I think I'll need a second copy.
Melanie
In rhyming text readers discover a construction crew of dogs. The dogs begin their day like any other crew, by getting out of bed and having breakfast. Then they head off in their various construction vehicles for the construction site. Each piece of equipment is given its own time to shine with rhyme.

Children will enjoy finding the cat in each spread. This is going to be a popular title with fans of big trucks and construction equipment.
Naomi
Mar 01, 2014 rated it liked it
I bumped up this rating for this book because of another GR friends review who happens to be a children's librarian. I figured maybe I was missing something.

I have to say that I found this book to be rather confusing when I tried to look at it from the eyes of a child. Text just seemed to be all over the place. Now, the story was cute. I was also perplexed about the age level for this book. I am seeing that it is for Pre-K to second grade, but I feel some of the text was over that age.
Rosa Cline
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
If your child likes construction or dogs or both they will love this book! Illustrations are wonderful and goes hand in hand perfectly with the storyline. I read this out loud to my special needs teenage son that loves anything to do with construction and he smiled and giggled throughout the story. A group of dogs are building from ground up a park, and the text is written mostly in verse so made a fun read to read out loud.
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 2 14 Mar 23, 2018 11:18AM
  • Giant Dance Party
  • Go! Go! Go! Stop!
  • Daisy Gets Lost
  • I'm My Own Dog
  • Penguin on Vacation (Penguin)
  • Night Light
  • The Construction Crew
  • Construction Kitties
  • Puddle Pug
  • If I Built a House
James Horvath has worked as a designer and children's illustrator for more than fifteen years. In 2002 he established Jamestoons Studios (with a workforce of one) so he could focus more on his illustration. When not scratching and scribbling at his drawing table, he plays with his two young sons and wife, bangs around on the banjo, surfs, and generally has a lot of fun. A lifelong devoted cartoon ...more