Start by marking “The Elite (The Selection, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Elite (The Selection, #2)

The Elite

(The Selection #2)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  331,372 ratings  ·  24,782 reviews
The Selection began with thirty-five girls.
Now with the group narrowed down to the six Elite, the competition to win Prince Maxon's heart is fiercer than ever—and America is still struggling to decide where her heart truly lies. Is it with Maxon, who could make her life a fairy tale? Or with her first love, Aspen?

America is desperate for more time. But the rest of the Elit
Published April 23rd 2013 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Elite, please sign up.
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera CassRequiem by Lauren Oliver
YA Novels of 2013
1,578 books — 11,058 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsInsurgent by Veronica Roth
YA Dystopia Novels
1,254 books — 10,911 voters

More lists with this book...

·  331,372 ratings  ·  24,782 reviews

Eve
Jun 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books
So, you see my rating, and you're probably like, ONE STAR? And my answer is yes, one star. I spent a good hour thinking about a reason, any reason to rate it two, but I can't. This was just one books of those books that was not my cup of tea. Which, by the way, is extremely disappointing, considering that I really did like the first book. *sigh*

I don't like to bash books and insult the author, but I will say why I did give it such a low rating, in a hopefully non-rude way.

*My Opinion. Just a
Mitch
Apr 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
For what it's worth, I actually liked The Selection. Sure, it suffered from a major bout of shoddy world building and desperately needed a plot beyond just the game show slash dating elements, but if I had to blurb it, I'd go with something like this: "Frivolous and silly, The Selection is nonetheless an enjoyable timekiller with its Bachelor-like elements and inability to take itself too seriously."

The Elite on the other hand... ugh how do I even begin to describe this mess? Let's see...

America
Monica :)
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deleted previous posted review.
Maria
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
2.8/5 Stars ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

“Love is beautiful fear”

Guys. Where do I begin? This book was such a disappointment, compared to its predecessor. Don't get me wrong, I flew through it in a couple of hours. Right now, as I'm writing this review, I have read The One and I know who America ends up with, how the book ends, everything. These books are so addicting and such a guilty pleasure, I want to scream. Kiera Cass is not a good writer, but her books captivate you. I still want to throw this fucking book at t
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
This series is like junk food.

I know it's not good for me.

I'm not even sure I'm enjoying it....

But I can't stop!
Miranda Reads
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Tears! Love-triangles! More tears! Whining! Even more tears! Annnd....honestly, that's pretty much it

(Could we make it one chapter without her dissolving into tears? No? Fabulous. )

Picking up where we left off, America is in the "Elite" (the top 6 of the Selection - aka the Bachelor/Princess Diaries mashup).

She's joined by Celeste (the B*tch), Marley (the best friend), and three other totally forgetta
Victoria
Apr 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
All right, boys and girls, I’m back for round two. A year late, but I’ll try to get to The One right after this.

In my review of The Selection, I already covered the larger issues this series has. I’m just going to go through this book roughly chronologically and list all the places I eyerolled so hard I saw my brain. Sometimes, I grew extra eyes just so I could side-eye this book some more.

(ETA: This list will continue to grow as I complete my reread)

1. REBELS. Seriously, palace people. GET SOM
Stacia
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Selection by Kiera Cass

7-1-2012: 3:48 PM. Yay! It has a name! I'm so excited for this book!

8-7-2012: 4:19 PM. Why does this have likes?! Haha. I can't wait for the cover! I heard Cass has seen it!

Of course, I'd prefer to have a male on the cover. Not JUST a male, maybe a well-dressed Maxon (with his face concealed [I hate when publishers put non-concealed faces... It makes me feel like I have to picture the characters like on the covers]) with America in his arms.

Or maybe the Elite girls in pretty dresses.
Jessie
Warning: Mild Spoilers Ahead. Do not read if you don't want to be spoiled. Please read at your own risk.

Actual rating: 2.5 stars

This is not a dystopian, This is a book centered on a love triangle.

Believe it or not, I did like The Selection, but this book, unfortunately, did not live up to its predecessor. The reason why I enjoyed The Selection so much was because of the similarities to the TV show The Bachelor(which I watch, occasionally). I personally think adapting the competition into a book
Christine Riccio
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I raced through this book because I love the concept and where the story seems to be heading, but OH MY GOODNESS America was so frustrating. I discuss the whole thing in depth in my booktalk here: http://youtu.be/m7UHt8a4G9g
Sophie
This is what the first book did:

Photobucket

I don't know how Cass is going to stretch this into a trilogy. I honestly don't. Unless this has another beautiful cover I can't resist, I'm going to avoid this book like the plague.

Update 7/23
So... I finished this book. It was just as awful as the first, if not worse. It's worse in that it tries to develop a love triangle and makes a bad name for women everywhere. America decides to love whichever guy is in the room and then forget him the moment he leaves it.
emma
Apr 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
sweet holy lord. this goddamn book, my guy.

The pitch for this reanimated corpse of a sequel must have been like, "Ok, so it's global bestseller The Selection, except immediately THROW AWAY any traces of entertainment or cuteness or fun. We don't need it. Oh, more? Okay. Um. Keep the love triangle stuff. Actually, you know what? Make that TWO love triangles. Fangirls love that, probably, based on my semi-offensive one-dimensional view of the average YA reader, who is only in it for fictional depi
Natalie Monroe
"My feelings about Maxon. Maxon's feelings about me. Whatever was going on between Aspen and me. And my feelings about actually becoming a princess."

That quote up there is all you need to know about The Elite.

It's genuinely painful to read. It's worse than The Selection because, for all its flaws, it was a debut. I'm willing to cut debuts a little slack. Sequels are when writers start finding their footing, both in terms of plot and writing.

Let's start with the first. Plot, what plot? It's al
Nasty Lady MJ
Jul 03, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One
Recommended to Nasty Lady MJ by: A Misogynist
Note: I kept the advisory review because the trolls loved it and I think anyone who is thinking of reading this book SHOULD read the warning first.

To see full review click here.

Disclaimer: Obviously, I do not own the Disney princesses. If I did I would be at Disney World right now living the dream instead of writing this during one of my very limited study breaks.

And now a word from the Disney Princesses...

We here at the Magic Kingdom full of princess want to make something clear to you, America
Roxanne
OMFG IT FINALLY HAS A COVER!!!!

First off I must say that that is a stunning dress! Hmm which dress would you say is better?

Oh gosh, I can't choose! There both so pretty! Although I do like the red colour more.

Now on to the real thing I want to talk about. I'm so freaking excited for this book! I really loved the first one, in fact I loved it so much that I read it while I was at an amusement park. In fact I was so sucked in that I started reading it in the line-ups and I kept wanting to read it
Maureen
Jun 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Why is this series so addictive. WHY?? America is so much more obnoxious, indecisive, and all around THE WORST in this book which makes it a 3 star, but the rest was pretty great.
I pretty much LOATHE the show The Bachelor, and this book felt a lot more like that than the first book, so that was not super great. If you like that kind of thing, THERES A LOT OF JEALOUSY TO GO AROUND SO HAVE FUN!
However, the overall story and worldbuilding is still pretty great, and I'm sure there will be something
leni
Sep 22, 2017 rated it did not like it

one minute of silence for the book i just buried in my garden.

Josu Grilli
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-enero
Vale. Bien. No estaba preparado. Mira que al principio (en plan, como las cien primeras páginas) no estaba muy seguro de que The Elite me fuera a gustar tanto como The Selection. Tenía bastante claro que lo estaba leyendo a buen ritmo, pero que en realidad nada me estaba sorprendiendo y que lo leía porque no sé, la Cass es muy diva. Pero, sinceramente, no me esperaba lo que ocurre después.

Esta reseña contendrá spoilers, así que lo siento si querías saber qué me ha parecido sin leer ninguno. Te
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
4.75 Absolutely Delightful ★'s

“You know that you’ve found something amazing, and you want to hold on to it forever; and every second after you have it, you fear the moment you might lose it.”

“Sometimes I feel like we're a knot, too tangled to be taken apart.”

Buddy read with my, girl Desireé :)

Reread for me :)

The Selection started out with 35 girls it's now down to just 6 of them - The Elite.

Oh. My. Goodness! My face hurts from smiling so damn much. This was a fantastic second installment
Pang
Reading this book felt like Gossip Girl on royal caste. lol!

The Elite has many things, drama, dark secrets, intense competition, betrayal, treason, and annoying girls issue..

Firstly, I started reading this book with fun. The Halloween party! and Maxon is so sweet as usual! *dream up* description

descriptiondescription

Later on... everything started to roll down the hill. description

Every. Main. Characters. change from the first one.

It’s so hard to decide who the boy I want America to end up with. I’m team Maxon since the first one but in t
Jeff
I told you America.......those vipers who can wear 7-inch heels are deadly.

Honestly, who cares if it's only down to six girls now??!! They're still vipers. They can still walk on crazy heels without breaking their feet. They're still WOMEN WHO WILL CHALLENGE YOU TO A CAT-FIGHT.

Now you guys see how dangerous and how awesome this book is.
America still fights with herself and others for Maxon, but honestly, she still doesn't even know where her fricking heart lies. So, I mean, to pile on deadly gi
manda
24 Apr. '13
Bad news: I didn't like it
Good news: I finished it in one day to relieve me of my boredom at work
Better news: I liked it more than The Selection. Or maybe that's simply because I knew what to expect, so my hopes weren't high to begin with?

Still want that tiara.

I've full on ranted discussed about characterization in my review of the first book, and since the special cookie that is America still suffers from the same problems, I won't be going into characterization in this review. If
Ivana
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
GRRR! 2013?!
*turns off caps lock*
omg, can't wait!
EDIT:
Wow, America. Did you seriously... woooow.
I waited almost a full year for this book and you just went ahead and acted like Bella. Stringing around these two boys when it's achingly obvious who you're going to pick. I feel like every book is a Twilight despite
Μaria Vrisanaki
Το πρώτο βιβλίο τελειώνει κάπως...
Με την Αμέρικα που βρίσκεται σε φάση μα θαρρώ πως θα τα μπλέξω απ'την Κική και την Κοκό ποια να διαλέξω, τον καημένο τον Άσπεν να περιμένει, να την περιμένει την αγάπη του όσο και να χρειαστεί και τον Μέιξον να είναι αστατος πολύ και όπου θέλει (μάλλον σε όποια θέλει) να πηγαίνει. Συναντιέται με τη μια, φιλάει άλλη, μπαλαμουτιαζεται με παρά άλλη...

Και όλα αυτά συνεχίζονται στο δεύτερο. Καμία εξέλιξη, καμία πρόοδος,καμία αλλαγή, ενώ κάθε φορά που η Κιρα θέλει να
Maggie
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
AMERICA
Stephanie (Bookfever)
This is going to be a tough review for me, be warned.
Last summer I read The Selection and I loved it. I thought the whole idea of a story like this was really original. I loved that it was like The Bachelor put into a dystopian book. I saw a lot of positive reviews about it so I figured it would be positive for me too. So I had to read The Elite also of course and I must say (obviously) I'm rather disappointed by it. Actually a whole lot disappointed.

I really wanted to like this book, more so t
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins publishers and Netgalley.)
This is book 2 in the ‘The Selection’ series, and picks up where book 1 left off.
The 35 girls of ‘The Selection’ have been reduced to just 6, and it’s time for America to not only work to keep her place in the game, but to also make a decision as to who she really wants to be with – Prince Maxon, or her childhood sweetheart Aspen
The competition is also heating up,
Zoë
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I flew through this book in less than 24 hours, taking me out of my pitiful reading slump!
Even though I enjoyed reading this book, it was frustrating at times. I found myself annoyed at how America was acting and how her relationships with Maxon and Aspen played out. I felt like we were stuck in a cycle of America's erratic behavior and overcritical thoughts towards Maxon. Also, I am seriously wondering why Aspen is still there because I don't see any passion between them like I do with Maxon. I
Ade
-_- I HATE YOU. I HATE YOU SO FUCKING MUCH. THERE IS NO WORD IN EXISTENCE THAT IS STRONG ENOUGH TO DESCRIBE MY HATE FOR YOU. I'll make a simple list letting you know all the things you need to know about this book:

1) America is a conceited skag
2) America has no idea what love actually is
3) America is rash and does stupid shit before she understands what's actually going on
4) Maxon is a douche
5) Maxon doesn't know what love is
6) Aspen is also a douche
7) Aspen doesn't know what love is
8) Aspen is
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I cannot wait to get the final book tomorrow AHHH.
I really have fallen in love with this series although it sometimes frustrates the crap out of me how stupid America can be and the damn love triangle. I just can't help it.
selection oc 1 6 Oct 18, 2018 10:35PM
Play Book Tag: The Elite by Kiera Cass 3 stars 2 15 Jul 12, 2018 01:48PM
Thoughts after "The Elite": Team Maxon or Team Aspen? 839 1593 Jun 22, 2018 05:44PM
Am I the only person upset about the Kriss situation? 35 608 May 25, 2018 08:20AM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Breaking Point (Article 5, #2)
  • Of Triton (The Syrena Legacy, #2)
  • The Essence (The Pledge, #2)
  • Into the Still Blue (Under the Never Sky, #3)
  • Once (Eve, #2)
  • Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3)
  • Asunder (Newsoul, #2)
  • Get Me (The Keatyn Chronicles, #6)
  • Middle Ground (Awaken, #2)
  • Unbreakable (Unraveling, #2)
  • Dance of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #2)
  • The Fiery Heart (Bloodlines, #4)
  • Phoenix (Black City, #2)
  • The Goddess Inheritance  (Goddess Test, #3)
  • If I Should Die (Revenants, #3)
  • Raven (Delirium, #2.5)
  • Endless Knight (The Arcana Chronicles, #2)
100 Things I Love:

Being married. Cake. The smell of Autumn. Motherhood. Books. Elephants. Back rubs. On demand movies. Actually going out to movies. Faith. Cinnamon rolls. My family. Butterflies. When my kitchen is clean. Crayons. Pink. Tote bags. Dancing. Organizing via color coordination. That my wedding dress was tea length, not floor. Baking. My house. Writing utensils. Paper. India. The sound

The Selection (5 books)
  • The Selection (The Selection, #1)
  • The One (The Selection, #3)
  • The Heir (The Selection, #4)
  • The Crown (The Selection, #5)
“Love is beautiful fear” 1069 likes
“It turns out I'm absolutely terrible at staying away from you. It's a very serious problem.” 1053 likes