Start by marking “Replacing Gentry” as Want to Read:
Replacing Gentry

Replacing Gentry

When Marlie agrees to attend a cadaver ball at Vanderbilt Medical School, she did not expect to actually see any cadavers. Or, that a strange apparition would issue her a chilling message.

Despite the cadaver's warning, Marlie is married a year later to Tennessee State Senator, Daniel Cannon, and living in a plantation-style mansion with two step-sons. Add to the mix her g
Published April 9th 2013 by WiDo Publishing (first published March 14th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Replacing Gentry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Replacing Gentry

Katie W
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I finally got around to reading "Rebecca" a few years ago and was entranced. This modern-day re-telling had me captured from the start. Full of twists and turns and strange happenings. Wow. I thought it was a great version!

Marlie is a California girl who attends a Cadavar Ball with her best friend from the South and ends up in a whirlwind relationship. Previously divorced (with her husband dying shortly afterward), Marlie's not sure she wants to jump into anything too quickly.

I liked Marli
Julie Ford
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
What can I say about a novel that took me nearly two years to complete except that after all the changes, the cutting, reworking and rewriting, I ended up with an end result I'm most proud to put my name on. Part mystery, part suspense, part women's fiction, this novel incorporates everything I love in a good, spine-tingling story. Drawing inspiration from Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca, I've created a modern, southern, version of her classic tale.

I truly love this story and I hope that all who ve
Vonnie
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5
I was captivated by the cover of this book, which was the main reason why I wanted to read this. I had no clue as to what kind of book I was in for (I didn't read the whole synopsis). I was hooked right away and came to enjoy myself quite a bit.

I was surprised how many elements this book had: slight romance, suspense, ghosts, mystery, and drama. Right away this book reminded me of Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca. Like in Rebecca, the heroine Marlie entered a marriage where she barely knew the m
Ruth Hill
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I honestly did not know what to expect from this book when I started it. I enjoy mysteries, and I have always been a fan of the story "Rebecca." For the first third of the book, I figured that I would give it a four-star rating. It had a pretty good story, was well-written, and the mystery was somewhat intriguing. But it was nothing too special. Yes, I could see where it had some similarities to "Rebecca." Woman marries a guy she hardly knows and walks into the middle of what becomes an increasi ...more
Alisa
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Marlie Evans is a 31-year-old psychiatric social worker who lives and works in California. She meets Daniel Cannon, a Tennessee state senator, at a dinner she attends with her best friend, Anna-Beth (who is also Daniel's cousin). There is an immediate connection between Daniel and Marlie, but there are also a lot of secrets they are keeping from each other.

Less than 24 hours later, Daniel proposes to Marlie as she is leaving to go back to California. A year later they are married, even though Ma
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book really did remind me a bit of Rebecca and Jane Eyre. It has the same eerie feel to it as Marlie tries to figure out all the strange things happening in her life.

Marlie is curious by nature which of course leads to trouble. Trouble, trouble, trouble. But, what fun would it be if Marlie wasn't in trouble?! No fun at all.

Marlie is smart and down to earth. The new family and world that Marlie gets caught up in is out of her comfort zone for sure. There are so many pretenses, secrets and pe
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
The book is described as being a modern twist on Rebecca and Jane Eyre. That had me intrigued. I have read both and was wanting to see what Julie Ford could do with the adaptation.

I went into the story thinking I had a pretty good idea of how it would go. Mystery in a marriage, secrets, danger, all of the descriptors that come to mind when considering the classics. While "Replacing Gentry" did have all of them in it, there was more to the story that I wasn't expecting.

Marlie is from California a
Michelle
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, forpleasure
So far I've read two of Julie's books and I've enjoyed them both. This Gothic-style romance was completely different from her first book. I haven't ready anything quite like this book. The writing style was very good and the plot moved along at a brisk pace. The complexity and detail shown reflects the author's creativity. The setting with its Southern culture, graveyards, and creepy secret cult also gave the story an intelligent feel. The creepy scenes and odd characters added to the story's ap ...more
dsneaks
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received Replacing Gentry by Julie N. Ford for free through good reads first reads giveaway. This book is about a women who finds herself in an impossible situation while following her heart. This women's heart seems to always lead her to very dangerous places. I found it hard to put this book down and each chapter just leaves you wanting more. Its hard to put this book down after reading a chapter, each chapter just feels like a horrible cliffhanger, leaving you dying for more. Before I even ...more
Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I did enjoy this book and read through it rather quickly. I liked Marlie, though she did sometimes seem a little more impulsive than was good for her at times. To me, Daniel didn't seem sincere and was easily manipulated by about everyone he came in contact with. He marries Marlie and then sort of abandons her at his house with his boys - without much guidance as to what she was to do with them, or with the house.

Strange things have been happening to Marlie since she met Daniel - cadavers talk
Andrea
Best title of the year for me! I got this as a free download from Pixel of Ink and, as often happens with e-books, I totally forgot the summary well before I started reading this. What started as an interesting, but unremarkable romance with heavy touches of the Gothic, became an unexpected thriller that had me staying up past bedtime to finish. As a main character, I really liked Marlie. A trained social worker, her reflections on "replacing" the first wife and mother of twin boys really added ...more
Heather
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
Julie Ford is definitely an author to watch. I've enjoyed her other books, and this one deviates from those in genre. Replacing Gentry is an intriguing suspense about a woman named Marlie who marries Daniel, a man with a mysterious past. But mysterious doesn't begin to describe it. Marlie finds herself facing a web of secrets as she learns more about her husband's late wife. Julie's writing is a pleasure to read, and her characters are skillfully drawn. I love the quirks and uniqueness of the so ...more
Samantha
Apr 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013-books
Typically I find that the Goodreads community is pretty good at leaving reviews that truthfully reflect the quality of a book... however, this was a big miss. Fortunately, I was able to borrow this at no cost from the Amazon Prime Library so the only thing I really lost was a few hours on a Saturday afternoon.

Why one star?
- Characters & plot were an utter disappointment
- Constant odd references to pop culture that cheapened the quality of the writing
- The book description was the best par
Charissa
Marlie meets Daniel at a party, and it seems like love at first sight. He takes her to the airport and proposes the next day. This throws Marlie into Daniel’s world. He’s a state senator and owner of Canon Records. He is wealthy and gives her everything she could seem to want...except his time...and his secrets about his dead wife, Gentry. Pulled in against her will as she overhears a few conversations about herself and is confronted by several of Daniel’s friends who want her out of his life, M ...more
Margitte
Aug 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, fiction
Replacing gentry - by Julie N Ford

Marlie got more than marriage when she got involved with Daniel. Secrets blanketed the death of his first wife and secret societies had a role to play. The mystery was everywhere.

Surprising and unexpected comes to mind when I think how the plot was designed to make this an easy, although sometimes a confusing, but romantic read.

I did not connect with the author that well - there was not much to identify with in the narrative, but not everyone can be kept happy
Kristen
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I would have liked to give the book 4.5 stars, but ultimately I rounded up since it must mean something that I couldn't put it down. The story is very like Rebecca, which is a good thing. I would have liked to tighten up the middle and maybe expand on the ending, but ultimately, I did enjoy the book quite a bit.

Many other reviewers had problems warming up to Daniel. He disappointed me at times, but I found myself liking him from the airport forward. Marlie bugged me at times but I came around t
Whitney Boyd
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I started this book during my toddler's afternoon nap and couldn't put it down! There were twists and turns and it was far from predictable. It reminded me of classic novels such as Jane Eyre or Gone With The Wind in the development and attitudes of many of the characters, and yet was modern and addressed many issues that face us today.

Conspiracies, secret societies and people who will kill to keep their pasts in the past, this book is the perfect women's fiction... mystery blended with real em
Alice Gold
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-romance
Julie Ford did a great job of laying out the life of a Californian that reallocates to the South. Minus the mansion and the suspenseful love story, I should know, being a Californian that resided in TN for 9 years.

Even though this book didn't end the way I wanted, it was still a great read. Ford has a knack with the romance and the suspense. I would love to spend a few minutes inside her brain as she writes out her plots.

Perhaps my favorite character of this book was the Southern sister-in-law.
Braden Bell
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this. I don't read romances normally, so I'm not terribly familiar with the conventions. What I do know is that this book kept me up well past my bedtime several nights in a row and kept me guessing as well. As someone who works in the areas Julie describes, I laughed out loud at a few of the minor characters. Her descriptions were spot on in both the characters and portrayal of a way of life. It was a fun read and I enjoyed it. I'll let everyone else argue about whether it's a ...more
Rachelle
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Replacing Gentry is an excellent story with mystery, romance, and a vivid setting which will draw you in and keep you immersed in the novel. I liked how this book was reminiscent of Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier yet had great contemporary presence. Julie's characters have great dialogue sequences and I love how in between racing through suspense scenes there were times when I laughed out loud as well.

All together this is an excellent read and I'm glad I had some down time to enjoy this novel!
Gabby (What's Beyond Forks?)
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed

Full Review at: What's Beyond Forks?
There was so much thought and detail that went into Replacing Gentry, and that made me feel like I was right there looking through the eyes and mind of Marlie.
Stephanie
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great title...it is literal genius. It is a summary of the various plots as they expand and entwine. The first chapter completely captured my attention---and it never wavered. It was seriously dramatic and humorous. After reading 4 novels by this author, in which i-can't-sleep-until-I-finish, I am an avid reader of anything Julie N. Ford!
Karen
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books you think you know what it's going to be about, then it surprises you with the turns it takes. The author did an amazing job of plotting the various elements, and there are quite a few, so be prepared to expect the unexpected! An exciting read with mystery topped with splashes of humor and warm, witty glimpses into Southern culture, Replacing Gentry is a delight.
Kerri Cuevas
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Marlie thought she was marrying Daniel, and getting a new family. She didn't know she would land in the middle of a scandal with a secret society. Replacing Gentry had so many twists and turns that I didn't know what was coming next. There’s something for everyone—romance, action, ghosts, and a secret society. This was a well written story from a wonderful author.
Valerie Waters
Aug 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I don't know what to think about this book. Some things were so weird and didn't make any sense!! Like the two graves....I was totally lost on the significance of that. I also skipped over so many paragraphs. The obvious questions she kept asking her self were annoying.
Rebecca
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I'm a huge fan of the novel, Rebecca (more than just because it's my name), and this book has the same feel. I loved the plot twists, and didn't see the major one at the end. Great read.
Susan
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I seriously got sucked into this story!! I loved how I never knew where it was headed!! Beautifully written and how some of my questions are still unanswered. ;)
Alicia
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a little different from the books I usually read. It was kind of creepy, fun to read around Halloween.
Beth Erwin
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although not a big girl-running-away-from-the-house book fan, I enjoyed Replacing Gentry as a light read. The end plot twist(s) added to the overall story, and were well integrated.
Carmen Gaarder kumm
Ok

I got the book for free, it was ok not something I'd read again but ok. A bit off reality
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Jack Templar and the Monster Hunter Academy (The Templar Chronicles #2)
  • Take My Heart
  • Dead Running
  • Matt Archer: Blade's Edge (Matt Archer #2)
  • Dark Passing
  • The Newstead Project
  • Escucha Means Listen
  • Moonlit (Moonlit, #1)
  • Excuse Me, My Brains Have Stepped Out
  • Helga: Out of Hedgelands (Wood Cow Chronicles, #1)
  • Baked Alaska (A Culinary Mystery, #9)
  • Caller ID
  • Bulletproof (Unknown Identities #1)
  • Chivalry and Malevolence (Alfheim #1)
  • Upload
  • A Hard Act to Follow
  • Sprung (The Witchbound Series #2)
  • My Treasures - Four Week Mini Bible Study
A graduate from San Diego State University with a BA in Political Science, Julie N. Ford also earned a Masters in Social Work from the University of Alabama, which has only made her better able to recognize the unhealthy, codependent relationship she has with writing. Professionally, she has worked in teaching and as a marriage and family counselor. She is the author of six women’s fiction novels, ...more