Start by marking “Deep Fried and Pickled (The Rachael O'Brien Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
Deep Fried and Pickled (The Rachael O'Brien Chronicles #1)

Deep Fried and Pickled (The Rachael O'Brien Chronicles #1)

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  1,781 Ratings  ·  220 Reviews
Book one of THE RACHAEL O'BRIEN CHRONICLES introduces Rachael O'Brien, whose plan to study Art History turns into a laugh-out-loud romp of misadventure. It's 1986, the era of Pop Rocks, Jelly shoes, and big hair rockbands when she enrolls in a southern college intending to earn a degree, party, and meet cute guys--hopefully acing the latter two. She has barely had time to ...more
Published November 19th 2012 by Paisley Ray

To ask other readers questions about Deep Fried and Pickled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Fried and Pickled

C
May 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
Oh. My. I don't even know where to start with this one. I think I'll start with the positive. The story is a decent premise. College student navigates freshman year away from home, and happens to stumble upon counterfeit art ring. Far-fetched? Um, yes. But it's fiction, so I can go with it. I couldn't go with most everything else.

I struggled with the main character's... well... character. She's the moral compass (of sorts) for her group of friends, yet she's determined to sleep with most any ma
Kathy Wasden
Aug 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
I didn't like this book much. I considered not finishing it a few times, but there was a little bit of a mystery going on and I had to see how it turned out. Looking back, I'm not sure it was worth it.

The book is about a girl attending her freshman year in a North Carolina college. The problem is that most of what we hear about are the parties, attempts to get drunk, drugs, and her quest to have sex for the first time. The interesting bits involving the mystery might have made up about 10% of t
Calliope
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Price: $4.99
Series: Rachel O'Brien Chronicles
Genre: College New Adult
Points: 92/100
Review: Great Summer Read. It's light and funny and perfect if you want to reminisce about your freshman year in college. Rachel is a northern girl that decides for reasons I don't think were ever made clear to go to school in the south. The story effortless combines culture shock with the freshman shock. I also captures with a realistic view of going to a smaller college in a small town. It is funny romp down col
MightyA
3.5 stars. A lighter version of Veronica Mars Young adult (college) thriller with college girls and wild college activities (you know!) - with great narrator who does awesome southern accents. I have fun listening.
Zinnat
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Linguistically this book fails to challenge. Having said that, I acquired a long list of slang American terms - a novelty for those who live across the big pond! One can be forgiving of a couple of errors but the novel is riddled with incorrect grammar and punctuation.

I was tempted to give up but persevered out of respect for the author's 'labour'. Apart from parties, revs, drinking binges, drug taking, having casual sex and the desire to lose one's virginity not much insight is given into the F
Jenyfer Matthews
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and kept reading it though it seemed to go on and on without a whole lot of action or drama or conflict. It was cozy and warm - like reading a letter from a friend. The only thing I didn't care for was the ending which seemed really abrupt. The main storylines were tied up and I suppose it was the sort of story that would be hard to end perfectly given the nature of the day-to-day sort of narrative but it still felt unsatisfying. Or perhaps it is just because I wanted ...more
Trudi Jorda
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Remember that freshman year away at school? All the unusual people you meet? Wanting to grab life and taste it with gusto? I know you do! I sure as heck did! Throw in a bunch of males, booze, marijuana & n art mystery and give it southern flavor and you have a fun romp thru freshman year at college! This is a fun read-- will have to look for the next in the series! Sit back and enjoy the ride!
Dee
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. There was a lot of young college adventure and plenty of mystery with a pretty brave main character who didn't really see herself that way. It was really a fun and interesting ride. Although tense at times, I always felt sure Rachael would come out ok in the end...well, she is the main character. And the book is chock full of all kinds of southern charm. I was really disappointed when I finished this book because I didn't have a book 2 to pick up and delve into.
Dayreader Reviews
I loved this book! Like really, really, really loved it! The main character is Rachel and oh what can I say about Rachel. She’s adorably funny and sometimes totally clueless! She lived in Ohio where she was severely sheltered by her parents, but decided to get away and go to college in North Carolina. She has made it her college mission to complete a bucket list of things she’s never done before such as getting drunk and hooking up with someone. The move had to be a huge culture shock to her! My ...more
Charlotte Cyprus
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
I really loved the characters, Macy especially, and the book captured the feeling of going to college really well. I felt like I want to go back to college and live in the dorms (and considering I just graduated, the fresh horror of the dorms should have been enough to stop that feeling). I liked that there was so much going on, what with her mom leaving and so much drama at school plus the art stuff, though I think that there should have been a little more focus on the crazy stalker thing at th ...more
Arielle
Aug 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
I'm not sure if Paisley Ray is married to, related to, or sleeping with whoever is responsible for publishing this book, but Deep Fried and Pickled is so contrived and so poorly written that I find it hard to believe that someone who works with literature in a professional capacity decided that this book was worth publishing just by sheer merit alone. This is a book about college, drinking, sex and drugs and the depictions of each of these things are so ridiculously off base that it makes me que ...more
Mary Cooper
Jun 22, 2013 rated it liked it
This book brought back memories of going to college...to a point. I don't know of anyone who got into as much trouble as Rachael, but this is fiction, and it brought humor to the story line. One thing that distracted me from the book was the use of the word "loose" for "lose". At first I thought maybe the author did mean "loose", but then I saw it again and really looked at the word. There were a couple of other typos that threw me off.
All in all, a good, light summer read.
Lisa Godina
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, murder-mystery
Deep Fried and Pickled by Paisley Ray can be called Comic Relief... A girl from the North decides to attend a college in the South and what does she encounter besides culture shock but an art forgery scam.
The characters are delightful. The culture shock goes over the top at times but it adds to the comedy. But what do you expect from a freshman away from home for the first time. Very enjoyable read.
Stephanie
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it
The main character is a mess...seriously just a mess. She is trying very hard to lose her virginity her freshman year of college, gets lost numerous times away from her friends at parties and just puts herself in so many awful situations. I get that this story is fiction which is why it gets 3 stars because the story of the art scam is quite entertaining. I could have done without Rachael's needing to lose her virginity.
Monika
Mar 12, 2016 added it
Shelves: fiction, ebooks, 2016
I downloaded this book as a free kindle read via BookBub. Needed a light causal read and this was just that. Nothing to speak home about greatly but a breezy flight kind of chicklit. The book happens in an art college and those girls made me wonder if indeed I am growing old ;)

And oh the tittle is because of the fact that the town she moves in likes to eat stuff "deep fried and pickled"
Ashley
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
This book was not at all what I expected. The title doesn't tell you that the book contains somewhat of a mystery, and is more of a coming-of-age story than anything else. It was a good read, though it felt like the author was trying to make the book fit into too many genres to be any one kind of story.
Ashley
Jul 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I started this book and didn't finish it. Then I picked it up to read it again and actually enjoyed it. Good enough that I want to read the sequel. I like that it was set in the late 80's, because it's different than all the other new books coming out.
DJ Sakata
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sassy and full of witty and snappy comments. I would have loved to hang out with this odd group of characters when I was going to college! I laughed aloud many times as I was reading. I hope to see more of this talented author.
Stephanie
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved it...
Deana Myers
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Denise
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun summer read!!
Ann
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Easy read. I thought about not finishing but trudged thru it. Glad I did. It did have some entertaining aspects.
Good summer beach book.
Amy
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book! I am looking forward to reading more from this author!
Fran Parsons
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
If I could would give this a 3.5. It was a good light-hearted book. Would like to read the 2nd one.
Joyce
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
A cute fun story and at times exciting, I enjoyed it, and look forward to reading more by this author.
Kwoomac
Gave up on this one at 22%, according to my Kindle. it's about a girl's freshman year at college. supposed to be full of fun and antics but I just wasn't feeling it. Too many books, not enough time!
Vicki
May 07, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was okay. It made me laugh a few times, but there were some typos that drove me a little nuts. The loose/lose errors are a pet peeve of mine and took some of the enjoyment out of the book.
Marcel Bradley
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very funny in places.
Sage Graham
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fun little mystery -- and one that anyone who's been to college can relate to at some point. :-)
Lizz
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it
A cute book set at a North Carolina college in the 80's. Cute enough to have me start book two of the series.
  • Brownie Points
  • Country Girls
  • The Coach House
  • Wine in my Sippy Cup
  • The Seven Steps to Closure
  • Going For Broke
  • Do or Di
  • Round Robin
  • The Onesies, Fall (Totlandia #1)
  • Finding Infinity
  • The Queen of Minor Disasters
  • Cocktail Hour
  • Island Passage
  • Remember This
The Rachael O'Brien Chronicles are not your typical fiction. A young woman's plan for an art history degree turns into an outrageous series of misadventures in this laugh-out-loud romp about a girl who enrolls in a southern college during the height of the crazy era that was the 1980's. This collection crosses genres of chick lit, mystery, romance, humor, and action with the possibility of a corps ...more
More about Paisley Ray...

The Rachael O'Brien Chronicles (9 books)
  • Summer Flambé (The Rachael O'Brien Chronicles #2)
  • Shelled and Shucked - (The Rachael O'Brien Chronicles #3)
  • Toad in the Hole (The Rachael O'Brien Chronicles #4)
  • Johnny Cakes (The Rachael O'Brien Chronicles #5)
  • Swamp Cabbage (The Rachael O'Brien Chronicles #6)
  • Praise the Lard (The Rachael O'Brien Chronicles Book 7)
  • Hot Tamale (The Rachael O'Brien Chronicles Book 8)
  • The Rachael O'Brien Chronicles - Three Comic Suspense Novels (Deep Fried and Pickled#1, Summer Flambé #2, Shelled and Shucked #3)

“There are no good girls gone wrong, just bad girls found out.” ~Mae West” 0 likes