Start by marking “Baby Bargains: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on baby furniture, gear, clothes, toys, maternity wear and much more! (Baby Bargains)” as Want to Read:

Oh baby! With the average newborn racking up $6000 for the first year alone, expectant moms and dads need all the creative cost-cutting ideas they can find. Baby Bargains is the answer. Inside, parents find detailed ratings and reviews of baby gear, plus handy charts that compare brands and models.
Paperback, 7th Edition, 600 pages
Published April 25th 2007 by Windsor Peak Press (first published April 1st 1997)

Strong As a Mother by Kate RopeWhat to Expect When You're Expecting by Heidi MurkoffPregnancy, Omg! by Nancy ReddBaby Bargains by Denise FieldsYour Pregnancy Week by Week by Glade B. Curtis
Baby/Parenting
20 books — 19 voters
1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyThe Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienCatch-22 by Joseph HellerOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss
Nothing but Numbers
1,102 books — 174 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Baby Bargains: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on baby furniture, gear, clothes, toys, maternity wear and much more! (Baby Bargains)
new_user
Oct 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book was the bane of our existence when I worked in baby retail. Customers strolled in asking for random X and Y brands they'd read in the book and scrolled through the list, "Oh, do you have N then? P?" Furniture's a revolving door industry, and many brands don't last, while newbie brands don't see media -or Baby Bargains- exposure until a year or years into their life.

At the same time, staple brands will probably have a history of a couple or more recalls, etc. simply due to the fact the
Feb 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is badly in need of an editor!! While filled with useful information for which I'm grateful, it is rife with grammar errors and omitted words. At one point, the entire first half of a paragraph stops abruptly with no period, and repeats verbatim below. This is not a few subtle mistakes either. It happens every few pages and is very distracting. Sometimes I'm not quite sure what the authors are trying to say and have to make up missing words and guess where they were going with the thou ...more
Sherree
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So this book says it will save you hundreds of dollars, and I honestly don't know if it did/will do that because I didn't try doing this without the book. What I do know is that it gave me a lot of peace of mind, since I was able to narrow down the literally thousands of baby products out there to what I actually need and what I actually want. That peace of mind is worth way more than a few hundred bucks! I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is expecting, and in fact I have.
Briana
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buying baby gear is overwhelming. This book gives reviews, feedback and purchasing options for all of the baby gear you could ever possible need. I appreciated the reviews and information given about each brand and company and have followed many of their recommendations. I would recommend this book to anyone having a baby who needs help choosing baby gear!
Michelle Bellman
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was critical in helping me know what I truly needed for baby. With so much commercialism around pregnancy and newborns, it's hard to know what to buy. If you are frugal, have a small space or simply don't want to buy into the whole concept of needing a ton of stuff for baby, this is a must read.
Sana
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Couldn’t have started or finished my registry without it. Great, quick advice.
Melissa
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a truly *awesome* book for parents-to-be and parents. The newest edition (11th) just came out this year, 2011. In figuring out what baby products my husband and I needed for our very-soon-to-be-born daughter, I read both this book and a Consumer Reports website guide (I subscribed to the site for one month, for about $8). This book is far, far better than the Consumer Reports guide, because it provides grades (A through F) of many, many different products, not just the big-ticket items l ...more
Kimberly
Jul 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If there is one book that every expectant parent needs to have, it's this one. I've used it numerous times throughout my pregnancy, and it has made many of our decisions in terms of purchases MUCH easier. I bought both this book and Consumer Reports Baby, and ended up taking Consumer Reports back--it didn't offer nearly as much information as Baby Bargains.

The book is broken down into chapters according to baby's needs (cribs, dressers, gear, clothing, etc.). Each chapter begins by suggesting wh
Julie
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fam-baby
We've found this book very helpful. But -- even more helpful?
-- thrift stores (don't be afraid!)
-- hand-me-downs (soooo fantastic)
-- cloth diapers (prefolds + covers work great, are EASY, and save thousands)
-- homemade baby food (chop, steam, puree, freeze. It's really that easy.)
-- Craigslist (baby items obsolesce so fast. There's a glut of high-quality used stuff on Craigslist. People generally are forced to sell at less than 50% of what they paid new, even if the item is highly desirable and
Kirsten
Jan 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: world-of-baby
Obviously this book has a fairly limited audience: people who are about to buy a whole bunch of baby stuff. So I'm not really recommending it widely, but for its intended audience, it's excellent. I love rating systems and reading user reviews since I'm a fairly picky shopper (read: cheap). This is a whole book of ratings and reviews, but it's more than that, too. As someone who really didn't know anything about baby gear-- what's necessary, what's extra-- this book was a great introduction to w ...more
Sara
Oct 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Very informative with a lot of useful information for someone who, like me, really hasn't the foggiest clue when it comes to baby stuff. On the other hand, I think it's perhaps a little bit of information overload and could use some serious editing. I found some sections a bit frustrating as they recommended brands that might only be found at specialty stores or in specific locations, making them hard to find. I found this to be particularly true in furniture. Also, I found some of their ratings ...more
Kari
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished the 9th edition (couldn't locate the edition here on goodreads). It was absolutely everything I had hoped it would be an more. As a first time mom-to-be, I've been so worried about which products were safest, easiest to use, which ones were a waste of money, and what was absolutely necessary to have before baby comes. I LOVE that this book eliminated so much time/effort in painstaking research I would otherwise have had to do. I'm thinking this will be a go-to gift for friends/fa ...more
Danielle
Got this book from the library on the recommendation of a friend. It was definitely helpful in giving us an overview of what we need and orienting us toward options, but when it came to the specific products it recommended (or didn't), it was super hit and miss. I combined what I learned here with extensive internet-based research. I would recommend this book to others, but caution them to also look at online reviews before making purchasing decisions.
Katharine
Sep 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
Excellent book. I recommended getting the most recent edition, as it gets updated with new reviews, brands and products every few years. I found this to be an invaluable guide to understanding various baby products and what role they play in raising your child. A great resource if you don't want to waste too much brain space on figuring out what baby stuff to buy.
Kate
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: babies, non-fiction
A great resource for wading through the hundreds of options of baby gear. Baby Bargains includes great information on not just the pricing of items, but also where and how they are manufactured, various safety concerns, etc. Easy to read with great recommendations, I found myself highlighting something on almost every page.

Krystal
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
For a first time mom, this book was a great start to understanding all the crazy baby gear out there. It really broke everything down and I liked how price was always featured. You can easily find products within your budget using this book. Some of the websites he suggested were new to me, so I think it was worth the price I paid for this book! :)
Josh
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This certainly did its job and told us where to splurge and where not to, and I think we'll be picking up the author's toddler etc. book.

We're going to keep using this book as a reference but I'm sick of it being on my reading shelf so there you go. It's a 4 star book but I docked it one star for horrible puns.
Hannah Notess
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really useful.

Also a bit like being metaphorically bludgeoned to death by a million collapsible strollers. I could only allow myself to read it for so many hours.

Of course the best bargain of all was... borrowing it from the public library (aka the best civic institution of ALL TIME).
Shawna
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: First-time parents
5 stars – Nonfiction/Baby Preparation

This book was a lifeline that helped me to prepare for traversing the perilous waters of baby shopping/registering. A great guide for first-time, overwhelmed, expectant parents!
Danielle
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing - especially for new parents to be like myself.
I think of it as a consumer reports type book on baby stuff. They don't have ads so their suggestions are unbiased.

Every chapter starts off with the extremely helpful "7 things you didn't know about" chapter topic: ex car seats, cribs, diaper pails. It's great advice on how to figure out what's needed for your child & family.

I'm so happy my cousin gifted me this book. I'm reading the current 12th edition.

There is also a companio
Denise
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A must-read if you're having a baby (especially your first). Made the enormity of the shopping process so much less stressful, and let me do a piece at a time without getting overwhelmed. I liked that it told you the things you needed to care about vs. what's just bullshit, and that it had picks for best overall, best budget, best eco-friendly, etc. I don't want to have to have a PhD in mattresses (and every other million baby-related products) - I just wanted someone to have done the research a ...more
AF
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tremendously helpful, especially for first time parents who have no clue what to choose from the millions of baby items. I did not see this book as solely a resource for saving money, but more as advice for items you need/don't need, and things to consider as you make your selections. Only 4 stars, because even Mom Brain can't ignore typos, but I would absolutely recommend this book to help ease the stress of being overwhelmed by baby gear variety.
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Yes this book has some obscure brands and the info gets outdated rather quickly, but starting from zero knowledge, this book gave me a decent What’s what. And the website is up to date so I could go there for current recommendations and ratings. I’d recommend this for someone who started with no knowledge about anything baby- like me!
Liz De Coster
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family
Authors did a decent job of dismissing some pretty superfluous baby goods, but of course what's a need and what's a want is highly subjective and depends on the parents. I got this book from the library, so my access to the more updated website ratings was limited, and I think currency is important when it comes to rating makes and models.
Jessica
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad I got this. I'm not sold on it saving me a lot of money, but I feel it was a great go to consumer reports type of guide for the products we'll be looking to buy. We'd done a ton of research online before picking items, and the information in this book seemed to agree with our other research. I wish we'd bought this book earlier. It'll be a great reference to keep as our baby grows.
Jenny France
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend recommended this title to me, and I would recommend it to anyone expecting a baby. It makes preparing and selecting items for a new baby much less overwhelming and provides useful costsaving tips. Kindle edition. 288 pages.
Jane
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't know what to register for? Buy this.
Alexandria Herrera
This book was good, filled with great tips it was given to us by my brother and sister in law. Wish I would have read a little more updated version as this one is a 2014-2015 version.
Ash
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting-books
Very helpful!
Jennifer Lumsden
This really helped me narrow down the millions of choices that parents/parents to be have to make, esp. when creating a registry. Put me at ease since I don't come from a baby-centric background :)

• What to Expect When You're Expecting
  • The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer
  • Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child
  • What to Expect the First Year (What to Expect)
  • Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom is Wrong - and What You Really Need to Know
  • The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy
  • The Nursing Mother's Companion
  • Cribsheet: A Data-Driven Guide to Better, More Relaxed Parenting, from Birth to Preschool
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
  • On Becoming Baby Wise: Giving Your Infant the Gift of Nighttime Sleep
  • Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
  • The Wonder Weeks. How to Stimulate Your Baby's Mental Development and Help Him Turn His 10 Predictable, Great, Fussy Phases Into Magical Leaps Forward
  • Oh Crap! Potty Training: Everything Modern Parents Need to Know  to Do It Once and Do It Right
  • Expecting 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Pregnancy
  • Trustee's Legal Companion, The: A Step-by-Step Guide to Administering a Living Trust
  • The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two
  • The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips & Advice on First-Year Maintenance
  • Hope in the Dark: Believing God Is Good When Life Is Not