Start by marking “One Little White Lie” as Want to Read:
One Little White Lie

One Little White Lie

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  319 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
A hilarious romantic novella from Loretta Hill (author of bestselling The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots). When One Little White Lie turns into a red-blooded reality!

What do you do when your best friend is the serial match maker from Hell?

Published February 1st 2013 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about One Little White Lie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Little White Lie

Beth
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One Little White Lie, a crazy match making friend, a big secret and an ex-boyfriend from hell creates this absolutely marvelous, sweet, romance that you definitely must read.

Kate Dreson has spent the last 2 years getting her life back on track. She is recovering from a bad break up with a cheating boyfriend. Everyone wants her to get back into the dating scene so when she’s had enough of bad blind dates Kate makes up a mystery boyfriend...but her friend Lisa isn’t buying it. When said friend, Li
Jess
One Little White Lie is a delightful little novella from one of Australia’s best selling emerging author Loretta Hill. It’s quick paced, light and a fairly entertaining read that is both similar and different from Hill’s debut novel The Girl in Steel Capped Boots (2012) and her follow up The Girl in the Hard Hat(2013).

Unlike her current series of books set within the Pilbara, One Little White Lie is set in Sydney and follows the story of Kate, a dirt-poor university student who is struggling wit
Dianne
This clever novella was a joy to read! Short, humorous and, I have to say it....CUTE!

Kate Dreson is young, beautiful and single. She is also gun shy when it comes to relationships thanks to her cheating ex-boyfriend. Meanwhile, her best friend, Lisa is the proverbial matchmaker, always trying to set Kate up with men, usually with disastrous results! Escaping her latest blind date, Kate barrels into a man in the bar, rights herself and heads off to find her matchmaking friend.

Fed up with Lisa's g
Kris-10
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
One Little White Lie is so freakin' adorable- I absolutely loved it! Sometimes novellas have a tendency to rush through all the information that needs to be provided so that you never really feel a connection to the characters or the story. Thankfully, this was not the case! While I still would have liked to read more about Henry and Kate's relationship, I'm still satisfied with the story that Loretta Hill has spun. Kate (who is working toward getting her PhD) has been single for quite a while b ...more
Jenna Anderson
Jan 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
~ ~ Fun Setting and Characters - Too Many Lies

Thank you NetGalley and Random Romance for the review copy of this book.

I love reading novellas. They are perfect little bites in between longer, more intense books. This title was a quick read.

Kate has been hurt by a ex boyfriend - a real jerk. Henry has been used by many exs who were only after his money. Can these two learn to love again?

This is mostly a clean romance. There are a few kissing scenes but nothing beyond that. I enjoyed the Austra
Katie_la_geek
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, ebook-arc
I really liked the idea of this novella, it sounded fun and flirty but unfortunately it turned out to be the opposite. The writing is generally fine but I found the storyline to be predictable and cheesy.

By far the worst thing about this book was the characters. Henry was not too bad (his brother however is a different story) but Kate was a total pushover. She let everyone, especially her interfering and annoying best friend Lisa, walk all over her. Lisa is dominating, bossy and not what I would
MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under
The Blurb

“A hilarious romantic novella from Loretta Hill (author of bestselling The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots). When one little white lie turns into a red-blooded reality!

What do you do when your best friend is the serial match maker from Hell?

Single girl Kate Dreson knows that her friend, Lisa, is not going to leave her alone unless she tells her that she is happily dating someone. Who knew that one little white lie could so blatantly backfire?

The imaginary boyfriend she described to her frien
Bree T
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Kate Dresden is single after she discovered that her previous boyfriend had been betraying her for probably the entire length of their relationship. Kate’s best friend Lisa is determined to see that Kate is as happy and loved up as she herself is and tries to keep fixing Kate up with men, everywhere. After a random meeting at a bar turns out to be nothing of the sort, Kate loses her temper and finally tells Lisa to back off and stop setting her up, because she already has a boyfriend. She just h ...more
Emma Tingay
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
One Little White Lie is a comic novella about white lies and how they can lead to much bigger things. Kate Dreson is young, gorgeous and single – thanks to her cheating ex-boyfriend, Mark. They were together for three years, but now Kate would much rather stay at home than risk being set-up by her best friend, Lisa. Although she means well, Lisa is a compulsive match-maker and, after being chatted-up by a drunk guy at a pub, Kate has decided that enough is enough. She vows to put an end to the m ...more
Sam Still Reading
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: romance, chick lit and general fiction fans
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: sent ARC by the publisher - thank you!
One Little White Lie is one of the launch titles for Random House Australia’s new digital imprint, Random Romance. If this novella is anything to go by, it’s going to be full of excellent titles – full of fun, humour, witty repartee and romance.

I recently reviewed Loretta Hill’s The Girl in the Hard Hat and really enjoyed it. I was really interested to see how Hill would tackle a romance novel, given that her previous book focused on a great, underused setting (Western Australia’s Pilbara region
Yellow Eyed
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT!

I started reading One Little White Lie on a Sunday morning in bed and have to admit I didn't put it down or get out of bed until I'd reached the ending. It was the perfect Sunday read.

Loretta Hill is amazing. She is a fantastic author. She managed to bring life to characters in a NOVELLA! She left me feeling happy and satisfied.

Yes, the book was predictable. Yes, it was full of cliche's. But I didn't care. Once in a while I like to read something different. It's like cleansing my rea
Celine
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
To be honest I barely read contemporary romances. I saw One Little White Lie on Netgalley, and decided to give it a try since I could use a short, fun novella.

In One Little White Lie Kate lies to her friend Lisa, and tells her she has a boyfriend. She would never find out that she was lying, right? But then Lisa tells Kate that she met the wonderful boyfriend, and everything gets very confusing.

I very much enjoyed this novella. The story catalyst is quite predictable, but Ms Hill handles the sub
Shirley Frances
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Kate is tired of her friend Lisa setting her up with guys that are not worth the trouble, especially since she doesn't see the need to be dating anyone at the moment. She is focused on finishing her PhD and has a life plan that doesn't include putting her heart on the line so that it could be shattered to pieces like it had on her previous relationship. Her mistake? Telling her that she has a secret boyfriend and embellishing with a couple of details from her fantasy man.

Henri is tired of meanin
Lisa
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Netgalley for letting me review this one.

Kate's best friend Lisa can't help herself from trying to set Kate up after Kate's louse of an ex-fiancee dumped her two years ago. She drags Kate out to a club one night and there she bumps into a man. A gorgeous man named Henry. He thinks she's hot and hunts her down. Little does she know he's a famous reclusive writer whose previous girlfriends were only with him for his money. He is her favorite author and he doesn't tell her his name (he us
Sally906
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
A few of my online buddies have been raving over Loretta Hill books – so I thought I’d see what the fuss is about. If this little novelette is anything to go by I can understand what they like about her work. A fast paced, light and entertaining read, ONE LITTLE WHITE LIE is not just about the lie that Kate told Lisa – it is also about hiding the truth, misunderstandings and big fat lies told by another character. Set in Sydney I understand this is a bit of a departure from her previous two nove ...more
Marian
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loretta-hill
A cute, fun novella! Well written and believable. Another great author to add to my favorites list!

Kate is SO over her best friend Lisa constantly trying to fix her up with losers. Granted, she knows her last breakup was bad, and two years later, it's time to move on. But she wants to do it her way. So she gets this idea to tell a little white lie to get Lisa to give it up.

It backfires. In a big way. But it was so great how it played out.

Henry is so tired of going out with gold-diggers. It seem
Paris
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, netgalley, 2013
The blurb for this book says that this book is a hilarious, romantic novella. I’m really not sure there was anything that was actually all that hilarious about the book. There were some funny moments, sure, but nothing that made me laugh out loud. The book was romantic enough, but there were things that really kind of bothered me about it. I didn’t enjoy it as much I thought I would and a lot of that had to do with feeling like I was being beaten over the head with parts of the story that I had ...more
Lucie Paris
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
My interest was piqued by the synopsis and I was expecting a pretty funny story. Indeed, if the man of your dreams, the one you describe to your best friend to stop her play the matchmaker in your love life, suddenly appears in your life and play the game according to your lie... I told myself that there should be comical chain reaction. Well, not really...

While some scenes were nice, I found the plot too predictable. It is horrible to guess in advance the intentions of the author. Suddenly, I f
Chanpreet
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mar-yc-aussie
Kate Dreson is tired of her best friend's poor match making efforts. She's at her wits end and doesn't want to go on any more disastrous dates to prove she's over her ex. So she tells one white lie and makes up a fake boyfriend and voila he appears at a party and she's left flabbergasted as how to explain his existence!

Kate is stubborn and has been really hurt by her ex. She's over him, but the lasting stigma has made it hard for her to open herself to love or even meeting someone. I liked Kate
Roz ~ My Written Romance
This review and others can be found at my blog, My Written Romance. Just click here.

This was a fun, light read. The romance was sweet, more towards the "behind closed doors" end of the spectrum, which in this instance really worked. The opening scene where Kate is approached and then propositioned by Creepy Drunk Guy gave me flashbacks to uni days, where an all-too-similar thing happened to me.

We all tell white lies and half-truths on occasion, and I can see why certain things were kept secret.
Jenny Schwartz
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy novellas. I like the emotional punchiness that yet respects the fact that sometimes I'm stealing reading time from my day.

Loretta Hill has a clear, bright, Australian voice. It makes her characters very real.

I had two problems with "One Little White Lie".

One, the hero's name was Henry. Okay, so this is a very personal and odd response, but I once worked with a Henry. Without going into details, that name is banned from my life as a name for a hero. Ick.

Two, can a story be romantic if th
Heather
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
Jenn Cunha
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, ebook, arc-netgalley
Received from NetGalley.

Ladies and gents - this is how you do a novella. Kate and Henry were an absolutely adorable couple and I felt like I knew enough about each of them to make me really care about them. With a lot of shorter stories, you don't get to know them both, but I felt for Kate having to deal with constant blind dates and Henry's issues with his mother. I even got to care about Lisa and Tom and were intrigued by what their stories might be.

The conflict was entirely believable and the
Amber Watson
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-books-read
I rated this book 4 out of 5 stars.

It didn't get five stars because of the characters.

While each one was different, our female lead character, was not a lead. She was a follower. I like strong female leads. Henry seemed to be based on real person. I could actually "see" him and not just read about him. His brother on the other hand, he was awful. While we all have pain in the butt siblings and/or friends, this guy was a tool then suddenly grew a heart.

Overall, I loved the book. While predictabl
Landslide
*I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Kate is sick of her best friend Lisa trying to set her up with complete strangers but, as hard as she tries, she can’t convince Lisa that she’s alright just the way she is, single. So Kate tells one little white lie: she makes up a boyfriend. Trouble is, her made up boyfriend shows up in her life and takes his role as her real boyfriend. Kate has never seen him before and now she has to pretend to be her girlfriend? Lies do ca
Nancy
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I loved this little story. Kate has it all - great family and friends and is working on her PhD, although she has not been very lucky in love. Henry also has been unlucky in love. He is successful and has found that women want him for his success and money. They run into each other by "accident" at a dance club. Both Kate and Henry have trust issues, but would like to build a relationship with each other. Their road to love has funny twists and likable family and friends who get involved.

For a s
⚜️Trea
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: challenges-2015
I really didn't find this story all that funny. It felt as if the friend and mother didn't trust the judgement of the heroine at all and felt as if they needed to take care of her. I did sympathize with the plight of the hero, but the lies that they both told wound up snowballing out of proportion and wound up being too easily forgiven in my eyes. It didn't have that "ring of truth" to it, and wound up leaving me a bit disappointed in the story overall.
Julie
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a cute chick lit novella. Kate, the main character, is irritated that her best friend Lisa will not stop bothering her until she gets a boyfriend. Kate lies (thus, the name of the novella) and claims to be dating someone. Predictably, a boy fitting the profile of the guy she made up enters her life. The book was a quick, fun read, despite it's predictability. The one thing I didn't like was the price. The price seems a little high on Amazon for a novella length Kindle book.
April
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Disclosure: This ebook was provided to me free of charge through NetGalley for the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments, and ratings are my own.

Really interesting tale that had my attention the whole time. The pace was wonderful and the characters engaging. Beautiful storytelling that kept me on the edge of my seat!
Joanne
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
guess i have too much of an expectation for Loretta Hill's book. it is certainly an easy read, but, it is also quite a low read compare to her previous two books. This book is like as if she got pressured to write something, rather than writing it from her heart, like what she did with the last two books. Great writer, okayish title compare to previous books. Keep it up your standard Loretta
  • Beneath Outback Skies (Outback Dust #1)
  • The Kissing Season
  • Hope's Road
  • The Sunburnt Country
  • Just Breathe
  • Dark Horse
  • In Safe Arms (Grace & Poole, #2)
  • Half Moon Bay
  • Losing Kate
  • Breaking The Drought
  • Storm Clouds (Goodabri #2)
  • Darkest Place
  • Paper Chains
  • Ryders Ridge
  • Rocking Horse Hill
  • Unforgettable You
  • Liar Bird
  • Dancing on Knives
Loretta was born in Perth, Western Australia, the eldest of four girls. She enjoyed writing from a very early age, spinning stories almost as soon as she could read them.

She was first published in the West Australian Newspaper with a short story about a circus horse when she was eleven years old. They paid her ten dollars for it and she knew she’d found her calling.

She put her dream on hold howeve
More about Loretta Hill...

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • One Pink Line
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Redemption (Penton Legacy, #1)
  • Promise Me
  • The Wedding Pearls
    $4.99 $2.00
  • For Every Solution, A Problem
  • Friction
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fountain Of Secrets (Relic Seekers, #2)
  • Through the Smoke