Start by marking “Seven Kinds of Hell (Fangborn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Seven Kinds of Hell (Fangborn, #1)

Seven Kinds of Hell (Fangborn #1)

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  1,184 Ratings  ·  172 Reviews
When archaeologist Zoe Miller's cousin is abducted by a vicious Russian kidnapper, she must come to grips with a haunting secret. Unknown to even her closest friends, Zoe is not entirely human. She's a werewolf and a daughter of the "Fangborn," a hidden race of werewolves, vampires, and oracles.

Zoe's attempt to rescue her cousin leads her on a quest for artifacts—including
Published March 12th 2013 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about Seven Kinds of Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Kinds of Hell

Experiment BL626
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
A typical thriller dressed as an urban fantasy, Seven Kinds of Hell had several kinds of issues. The heroine was inconsistently characterized. Because of that, at least two crucial events that could have been avoided were not, which I blamed the heroine for. Last but not least, the plot was chaotic.

+ the heroine

The beginning was slow and dense with exposition and flashbacks, some of which could have been saved for later in the story. However, what I minded more was the great discrepancy between
MLE
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
You can read this, and other reviews from Elspeth and me on our blog
A Shared Brain Cell

One of the better urban fantasy novels I've read in quite some time. I found Zoe to be a smart, and engaging main character. I liked her strength, her independence, and resolve. The secondary characters were interesting, and added a lot to the story. I wasn't wasn’t enamored with her love interest Will, but I think that's mostly because he didn't play a large part in the story line.

That leads me to what I r
Shelley
Feb 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-releases
Genre: Archaeological, Paranormal, Thriller
Rating: 3-3.5?

*First thoughts*

I am having a hard time reviewing this book and putting forth how I feel about the book overall. While the lead protagonist is interesting enough to follow and cheer for, she wasn't like other heroines that I love to read about. She doesn't run off and save the day and slay numerous bad guys, which there are a TON of! She's just a twenty something with lots of questions about her life, and no firm answers from those that s
Soo
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars – I had a tough time rating this book. A part of me says that it only deserves 3 stars but I wanted to give it 4 for excellent ideas. In the end, I compromise with a 3.5 stars.

Zoe's been on the run for most of her life. Her Mom didn't explain exactly why they're on the run. She only knows that her father was mixed up in something bad and her Mom took her away when she was a baby to keep her safe. Most people get to live in one town or two while growing up. Zoe has grown up all over the
Paradoxical
Mar 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book started off promising and then just degenerated. It was like watching a train wreck, only this was slower and made me angry. Especially the end, oh man, that end. There was no satisfaction to it, it was more senseless than anything else, a confused jumbled mess that irritated me.

And that's pretty much the refrain for the second half of the book. A confused jumbled mess. You get characters jumping at you, you have the main character running off from everyone and everything, and you hav
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

SEVEN KINDS OF HELL is the first full length novel in the Fangborn series, but it's not the first story set in this world. I've read and reviewed two short stories set in the Fangborn universe (there have been four--see the series tab below for links) and was thrilled to get to jump into a more expansive novel featuring an archaeologist no less (possibly my favorite literary profession), along with the Stueben siblings from the short stories. I'm sorry
Virginia Campbell
Author Dana Cameron breathes new life into the paranormal fiction genre with "Seven Kinds of Hell", the first full-length book in her "Fangborn" series. The protagonist is Zoe Miller, a twenty-something archaeologist with a an intensely guarded secret: she is a werewolf. Not just a werewolf, but descended through her father of the "Fangborn", a clandestine race that also includes vampires and oracles. For most of her life, Zoe and her mother kept to themselves and stayed on the move, finally set ...more
So, I Read This Book Today
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Archeological Fantasy
Recommended to So, I Read This Book Today by: 47North
This is a gift, it comes with a price
Who is the lamb, and who is the knife?
– Florence & The Machine, Rabbit Heart

"This belonged to my sister-in-law," Prometheus explained. "Pandora."

A lump formed in my throat. "As in Pandora's box?"

Prometheus shook his head. "I don't know how this
boxbusiness got started. It was never a box. It was a pithos, a storage jar. I suppose Pandora's pithos doesn't have the same ring to it.” ― Rick Riordan, The Last Olympian

You see what we do to each other over th
Yzabel Ginsberg
(I got a copy through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.)

Although this novel contained a few things I liked, I'm afraid it won't leave me with a lasting impression, mostly because of the characters themselves.

I enjoyed the archaeological-related plot: ancient artifacts whose purpose isn't known in the beginning, a "relic" (Pandora's box) that I've seldom seen in urban fantasy and other contemporary books, travelling through Europe in search of clus, trying to find out sites to dig in (
Mara
May 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, arc
3 1\2

Seven Kinds of Hell has been a mixed bag for me: an incredible world and a setting (archaeology) that I simply loved, but an heroine and a beginning that were difficult to either root for or care about. Quite luckily for me both got a boost midway that compelled me to the end.

The Good

The plot is pure thriller and action packed, leaving you without a moment to take one single breath. You are on a roller coaster to the end with a pack of characters that hounds the grounds.

The world building
Ruthanne Reid
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Quick summary: Was it worth the read? Yes. Will I pick up the sequel? I'm not sure.

3.5 stars. I'm really torn about this book. Let me tell you why.

The good: some really fantastic world-building, with a clever take on supernatural folks. The descriptions and place-settings were fantastic, and really made me want to visit the places Ms. Cameron took us to. The character development was also largely well-done in the sense that each person who showed up was distinct.

The bad: the character developmen
Kira
I can't finish this book. I only read 35% of it, but it's agonizing. It's sooooo boring. All of the characters are one dimensional. A lot of time is spent with Zoe thinking about past events and explaining her life, but almost everything in her life contradicts what she says about it. This book reminds me of Kat Richardson's Greywalker series, which I hated. They both have a slow moving, bland feel to them.
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Originally posted at http://smexybooks.com/2013/03/review-...

Seven Kinds Of Hell (Fangborn #1) by Dana Cameron
Urban Fantasy
March 12, 2013
Publisher: 47 North

Reviewed by Tori

Archaeologist Zoe Miller has been running from a haunting secret her whole life. But when her cousin is abducted by a vicious Russian kidnapper, Zoe is left with only one option: to reveal herself. Unknown to even her closest friends, Zoe is not entirely human. She’s a werewolf and a daughter of the Fangborn, a secretive ra
Kati
Jun 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book had potential to be a really good series. But there were too many plots and side characters (10-15 at least) jammed into one book. The sequence of events in this book could have been explored through 3 books but instead its all here, and the book suffers for it. And the ending, clearly should have been the beginning of the second book. The events there, actually could have been a whole book on its own too - instead its summed up quickly and ends on a "teaser" for book 2.

It was a slog
Carly
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rating: ~3.5.
Zoe Miller's life has never been television sitcom material. Raised by a single parent, Zoe has been moved from place to place by her anxious mother, never able to settle down, never able to make friends, never able to quell the creeping anxiety that something is hunting her. Zoe's mother hasn't given her many details about her paternal family, but she knows that they're bad news-- and that they're out to get her. But Zoe's greatest fear is a betrayal from her own mind. Since the ag
Lexxi Kitty
I was on something of an archaeological mystery fiction kick a longish while back. Read a bunch of Aaron Elkins books, Beverly Connor, and others. Roughly 33 books in total. I mention because one of those books was by Dana Cameron. Site Unseen. I liked it and then . . . never read anything else in that series or by Cameron for some unknown reason.

Well, so, bouncing around, I don't even recall why now, but I was on Cameron's book page over on GoodReads. Saw that there was a different series than
Rachel
Take everything you know about vampires and werewolves and toss it out the window. Go ahead and toss it, I'll wait.

Dana Cameron's Fangborn, made up of vampires, werewolves, and oracles, are completely different from anything I've read or watched. And they're FASCINATING! I'm particularly intrigued by Dana's vampires - which can turn into giant, colorful snake-creatures. Seriously, how cool is that?

The story follows Zoe, a young woman pursuing an education in archaeology, who spent her life on th
Koeur
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was ok

Publisher: Amazon
Publishing Date: March 2013
ISBN: 9781611097955
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: 2.2/5

Publisher Description: Archaeologist Zoe Miller has been running from a haunting secret her whole life. But when her cousin is abducted by a vicious Russian kidnapper, Zoe is left with only one option: to reveal herself. Unknown to even her closest friends, Zoe is not entirely human. She’s a werewolf and a daughter of the “Fangborn,” a secretive race of werewolves
Qwill / The Qwillery
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Zoe Miller, the main character of the novel, has a problem. She doesn't know that she's a werewolf. She knows she turns into something different on occasion. She thinks she may be crazy. I really like Zoe. Despite everything she is a very strong character. Does she always make the right choices? No, but she has courage and tries to do the right thing.

I really love the mythology and archeology in Seven Kinds of Hell. You can tell right away the Dana Cameron knows her stuff. For me this is a major
Lanie (Lanies Book Thoughts)
I couldn't really get into this one. I felt like the supernatural element was really forced into the book. Most of the supernatural occurrences seemed like the same scene over and over again. I did enjoy the mystery involved with Zoe's family and how that all came together. Zoe herself was kinda a contradictory character. She describes herself as a loner, but then talks about having friends all over the place and hanging out with other students. She's obsessed with a guy it sounds like because h ...more
Nyx
Apr 13, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a pretty good book. I really enjoyed the use of the Pandora’s Box Myth in the structure of the world created by Cameron. The book starts with 25-year-old Zoe Miller preparing to flee her life after her mother’s death. Things change though when she gets pulled into the world of the Fangborn.
The mystery and action start almost immediately and continue through to the end of the book as we follow Zoe in her attempts to save her cousin.
I really enjoyed the spin that Cameron used for her Vam
Nichole ~Bookaholic~
3.5 Stars

This was good, an interesting take on vampires and werewolves. I think what kept this from a solid 4 stars is that Zoey while likable bugged me a bit, I can't quite pinpoint if it was how she was written or how she sounded with the narration, this is not a complaint about the narration Kate Rudd did a wonderful job. I liked the mythology and archaeology in this one, I found this part of it very interesting. While this did not have a "cliffhanger" ending, it does leave a lot of unanswere
Court
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am giving this a solid 3.5 because what I liked about the book...overruled what I didn't like about the book. Namely, great adventure, twisty history, and some paranormal fun. What I DIDN'T like about the book is that the main character, in the first few chapters, made a big deal of not trusting anyone, then trusted everyone their grandmother right after she got done having a flashback as to why she didn't trust anyone. Annoying.

But I will be reading the second one!
Foodleech
Sep 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
neat fun little story. I wasn't compelled to keep listening to this book. If I didn't have anything else to listen I probably would have stopped. The story had a good premise, but it felt very generic in its plot. Go do one thing, stumble onto the exact item needed, then move on to the next scene. Over all it was ok, but still left me wanting something a little more in depth.
Jamie
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A lot of characters but easy to keep them all separated, which is pretty amazing! Hard to not give away spoilers because of how it ends and I really want to know what happens next! Very interesting twist on the whole vampire/werewolf mythology and their history (which I look forward to learning more about with Zoe).
Ian Sear
Nov 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Fairly run of the mill werewolf story. Wasn't terrible but was a long way from great. Characters could get from country to country far too easily and the baddies always seemed to know where the main girl was with no explanation of how they knew. Not really fussed about carrying on the series.
Angela

So very, very good!
Kathy
Lyn Mckenzie
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book i have read by this author and decided to listen to it through audible. I loved this book, i didnt know what to expect with this as i am new to this authors work but i am definately a fan after listening to this book!

It is an extremely imaginative book that you would definately say is filled with action from the first page to the last thst keeps you hooked throughout the whole book and i loved the voice actor chosen to read this book, you could hear all of the different pe
Urban Fantasy Afi...: July Member's Choice Read 3 7 Jul 05, 2016 06:13AM
  • Box Office Poison (Linnet Ellery, #2)
  • Bitter Disenchantment (Coveted, #0.4)
  • Blood of the Pride (Blood of the Pride, #1)
  • Daughter of the Sword (Fated Blades, #1)
  • Darker (Alexa O'Brien, Huntress, #6)
  • Hearts of Darkness (Deadglass, #1)
  • To Walk the Night (Kat Redding, #1)
  • Forsaken by the Others (H&W Investigations, #5)
  • Nightshifted (Edie Spence, #1)
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard, #1)
  • Blooded (Jessica McClain, #0.5)
  • Blood Tears
  • The Big Reap (The Collector, #3)
  • River Road (Sentinels of New Orleans, #2)
  • The Dead, the Damned, and the Forgotten (Dark Days, #0.6)
  • Kissed by Fire (Blood & Magic #2)
  • License to Ensorcell (Nola O'Grady, #1)
[From the author's own website]

I was born and raised in New England and I live in Massachusetts now, with my husband and benevolent feline overlords. Mine is a quiet, fairly ordinary life. I love that because it's what saves me from an overdeveloped sense of paranoia and a tendency to expect the worst. Combined with an eye for detail and a quirky take on life, these traits give me a vivid internal
More about Dana Cameron...

Fangborn (3 books)
  • Pack of Strays (Fangborn, #2)
  • Hellbender (Fangborn, #3)

“I had one objective: fix this. There was one other thought in a corner of my brain: What the” 0 likes
“I had one objective: fix this. There was one other thought in a corner of my brain: What the fuck was in that Red Bull cocktail anyway?” 0 likes