Start by marking “This Is Life (Jack Palms Crime #2)” as Want to Read:
This Is Life (Jack Palms Crime #2)

Read Excerpt

This Is Life (Jack Palms Crime #2)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  223 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Jack Palms is more interested in tuning up his vintage Mustang than starring in action films these days. Along with his failed marriage and plenty of bad habits, Jack abandoned his acting career three years ago and life’s just the way Jack wants it: boring.

But picking up where Jack Wakes Up left off, Jack now finds himself in the middle of a whodunit in the seedy red-light
Published February 19th 2013 by Thomas & Mercer (first published June 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about This Is Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is Life

Josh
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, kindle, read_2012
Slightly less apprehensive in the face ofdanger, Jack is forced to play a hardened hand and recreate his characterportrayal of a movie tough guy in order to bring an end to police and politicalcorruption. An explosive opening stanza showed promise that this instalment wasto follow-on from the action packed ‘Jack Wakes Up’ –however, while the guns blazed, the protagonist’s light dimmed somewhatin my opinion. Unfortunately I failed to connect with the former accidentalhero turned FBI and local cop ...more
BigJohn
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
Really fun book. Plot wise, I think it's superior to the first outing, but it's full of great characters that exist alongside some cliched characters. Jack Palms is back from his month chaperoning the Czechs across country, and comes back to San Francisco to relax and move on with his life.

Unfortunately, in his absence, the crime lords Jack pissed off in Book One are not about to forget about Jack and what he's done to mess up their operation. Jack barely has time to shower and take a brief nap
Elizabeth A.
“It doesn’t matter how you got here, because you in it.” – Freeman

Ex-action movie star Jack Palms seems to find himself “in it” quite a bit. When we last saw Jack in series opener Jack Wakes Up, he had barely managed to extricate himself from between a rock and a hard place in the middle of a Bay Area drug war.

As we catch up with Jack in This Is Life, he has just returned home after a long cross country motorcycle trip he used to clear his head and get back on track. Unfortunately for Jack, his
Mxyzptlk
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
With Amazon imprint Thomas & Mercer’s recent re-release of Seth Harwood’s This is Life (A Jack Palms Novel,) I thought I’d go back and check out the original podcast version from the CrimeWAV website. This is the same place I’ve enjoyed the original Palms novel Jack Wakes Up along with the superb spinoff/prequel Young Junius (also re-released on Thomas & Mercer.)
These and much more are still available as free downloads off from Seth’s website (sethharwood.com) and CrimeWAV.com. These pod
Timm Gillick
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Timm by: Seth Harwood
I loved this book. Non-stop action, over the top characters, deception, blood, death, mayhem, Russian mobs, movie starts, NFL stars... The only thing missing was a kitchen sink!

Jack Palms, one hit wonder movie star, has fallen on hard times of his own doing -- career in toilet, ex-wife, addictions -- and has decided to help some of his former dealer buddies to make some quick cash. What he doesn't expect is to upset some of the competition, and what they're willing to do to retaliate against Jac
Ryan
Jan 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, crime
This was my first real exposure to Harwood's work in audio form - despite his making his name for himself as a podcaster, I read the first book in print before checking out the podcast of this one.

It was an interesting experience, going from print to audio - Harwood uses a distinctive first-person-present voice throughout the Palms books, and it felt a little awkward at first due to it. I got over it eventually - Harwoods sense of humour and great story pacing skills overcome it easily, but for
Crystal Chm
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful mindless entertainment can be found in this book, but only after you read the 1st book in the series, Jack Wakes Up. I found the 2nd book here to be grittier than the 1st, with a thinner plot, but still enjoyable. As is typical of the author's style, the violent tone is balanced by how cartoon-ish the violence is. Another reason for liking the book is the snappy dialogue and one liners.

Highly recommended for a book to read on the beach, if the beach reader likes a book that is grisly,
Kimberly Ewertz
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This Is Life was my first read of the author, Seth Harwood, and by the time I finished it I wanted MORE!!! It was exciting, mysterious, violent, and it captures the reader's attention and doesn't let go.
I think one of the best compliments I can give about this book is that I honestly didn't know what would happen next. The author keeps the reader guessing, a great treat for any reader.
I highly recommend This Is Life, and I highly recommend the author, Seth Harwood.
Mark
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You don't know Jack, until Jack Palms drags you through San Francisco from the inside out. Jack is back in Seth Harwood's THIS IS LIFE with Freeman, the Czechs, crooked cops, sex slaves, and of course--the '65 Mustang fastback. Jack Palms novels pack more punch than Jack Daniels straight up, and go down easier than a Jack in the Box burrito after an all night bender. Do this book. 5 stars.
Jason
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You knocked it out of the park Seth! I loved Jack Wakes Up and now I loved This Is Life! So grim, so gritty... High-octane excitement and some wicked twists! Can't wait to listen to book 3 and catch up with our crazy Czech homies! Thanks yo, from a new Palms Daddy!
Tena
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2012
Action packed and entertaining. I felt a little lost once in a while because I haven't read the other Jack Palms books, but it wasn't anything that kept me from finishing the book. I'm definitely game to read more, and I enjoyed getting to find out how Jane Gannon met Jack.
Dan Pope
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More Jack Palms. Does that make me happy? Need I say five stars? Looking forward to the next installment.
Jeanne O'donnell
Fun series

Not a cozy mystery yet funny with involved plot and fleshed out characters Jack palms and sidekick are a formidable team
Jodi
Jan 02, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: podcast
I really enjoy Seth's sense of humor and writing style. It makes me want to read (or listen to) more of his works.
William
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: seth-harwood
Seth Harwood has created a fantastic character in Jack Palms, and another full of action novel. With great shady charcters,and a really good story.Make this latest a great read..
Maria Elena
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great story. With plenty of action and drama!
Hriday
Nov 02, 2013 rated it liked it
The usual potboiler dishing out the regular fare of murder, whodunit, gore, sex and violence.
harlen l hoover
To much blood and Gore

To much blood and Gore

average story line. to much killing shooting with to little story the plot was just ok.Hard for me to recommend it
Sonja
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
love seth harwood books
Lisa Fierro
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book! Fast pace tons of action. Love the characters hope to see more of hem in future books. Jack palms rocks!
Adam Ledford
Nov 16, 2011
Jim
Oct 13, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • 7th Son: Destruction (7th Son, #3)
  • Eden
  • One Among the Sleepless
  • Space Casey
  • Nocturnal
  • South Coast (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper)
  • The Immortals
  • Heaven
  • Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era
Seth Harwood received an MFA in fiction from the Iowa Writers’ Workshop and went on to build a large readership for his first novel, JACK WAKES UP, by serializing it as a free audiobook online. Currently audio versions of Harwood’s novels and stories have been downloaded over one million times.

He is the author of four additional novels, EVERYONE PAYS, IN BROAD DAYLIGHT, THIS IS LIFE and YOUNG JUNI
More about Seth Harwood...

Jack Palms Crime (3 books)
  • Jack Wakes Up (Jack Palms, #1)
  • Triad Death Match