Start by marking “Downward Dogs & Warriors: Wisdom Tales for Modern Yogis” as Want to Read:
Downward Dogs & Warriors: Wisdom Tales for Modern Yogis

Downward Dogs & Warriors: Wisdom Tales for Modern Yogis

Downward Dogs and Warriors expounds the rich oral tradition of India's mythological stories with the yoga postures that evolved from them. Each chapter begins with a color photograph and richly detailed bazaar art of the deity associated with the creation of the posture.Have you noticed that colorful depictions of Indian gods and goddesses have made their way into the West ...more
Published August 15th 2007 by Himalayan Institute Press

To ask other readers questions about Downward Dogs & Warriors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Downward Dogs & Warriors

Start your review of Downward Dogs & Warriors: Wisdom Tales for Modern Yogis
Honore
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
This slim volume is a collection of Indian mythological tales that are the backdrop for various postures, a guide on how to do said postures, and suggestions on things to reflect on/ journal about after having done the postures. It's too much in too little space. I would have much preferred if 75% of the book focused on the deity stories and 25% was reflecting/ journaling prompts. The artwork and stories are great, but they were presented as tiny slivers in this book.
Cherie
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Was hoping to get more gems to use with my yoga students in class settings, but not so....Still, interesting.
Kris
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mesmerizing artwork full of iconography which is explained. Possibly the most heartfelt, raw and revealing introduction I've read. This book is way too short and I'm hanging on every word. Thankfully, there is the Myths of the Asanas book as well. More writers need to speak to this interesting topic of where the postures originated and the tales behind them. Will stay up again late reading. Definitely recommend for Eastern religion buffs, yoga home practitioners, students and teachers. Awesome b ...more
Marine Cannavo
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, Zo Newell brings ancient tales into our modern yoga practice in such a beautiful and genuine manner.
Ilenia Maria Teresa
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting info. Loved the artwork. Parables didn't always correlate strongly to the poses or artwork in my opinion. Questions were strong and insightful.
Wallace
Aug 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone trying to deepen a home yoga practice
I was lucky enough to read this book before it is released to the public, and it is amazing. Although I have practiced yoga for many years, the concepts in this book ask the reader to explore stories from India in his/her personal practice. The book introduces the classical mythology of India through stories of Shiva, although it does not delve into Hinduism or any other religion. It is strictly related to good storytelling and personal exploration. This book is approachable for both new beginne ...more
SivaAnanth Muthuveeranan
It's about Yogic postures and resemblance towards the mythological stories. Realisation required to feel this book. what interests me are the pictures and craving mind to relate the story with the pose.

Zo is very open towards her encounters in early life, which most of us wouldn't dare to share.
This book going to be my on/off reading, since the Yogic poses have to be performed rather than read.
Susan
Nov 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful book. I have long wondered about the stories associated with yoga. There is no other book like this. It has added a new dimension to my yoga practice. I highly recommend it for those who practice yoga of any type.
Gilda
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved this book, I just wished there were more stories to more yoga poses! The mythological world of Indian gods was unknown to me and I felt this was a great little introduction to the roots of my yoga practice.
Linda Seltenright
Ever wonder how yoga poses got there name?! Loved your book Zo Newell!
Marye
Mar 16, 2011
Ana Karen
Feb 25, 2020
Brooke
Feb 17, 2014
Salvatore Familia
Downward Dogs and Warriors de-mystifies traditional India stories of gods and goddesses by showing their connection to universal human emotions. Connecting these stories to common yoga poses opens a deeper dimension of practice.
Anuttara
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Bhagavad Gita
  • The Wanderers
  • Fox 8
  • Science of Yoga: Understand the Anatomy and Physiology to Perfect your Practice
  • Yoga and the Path of the Urban Mystic
  • Machines Like Me
  • The Best We Could Do
  • What a Time to Be Alone: The Slumflower's Guide to Why You Are Already Enough
  • Waking: A Memoir of Trauma and Transcendence
  • Two Graves (Pendergast, #12)
  • The House of Sixty Fathers