Start by marking “The Second Chance Cafe (Hope Springs #1)” as Want to Read:
The Second Chance Cafe (Hope Springs #1)

The Second Chance Cafe

(Hope Springs #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  3,253 Ratings  ·  274 Reviews
Kaylie Flynn was luckier than most children left to the Texas foster care system, blessed with a foster mother who taught her the comfort of home…and the healing power of baking the perfect brownie.

Now, Kaylie has journeyed back to Hope Springs to open a café in the charming Victorian she once shared with her foster family — and to finally find answers about her past and w
Audio CD
Published March 5th 2013 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Second Chance Cafe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Chance Cafe

Darcy
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, e-book, romance
I had read this author's Dalton Gang series, liked it so wanted to check out this one. This one is different from the Dalton Gang, those were light, sexy, fun reads, while this one was more melancholy, where characters take a second look at their life and what and where they are. It is due to that, that caused me to not like the book as much as I had hoped before starting.

I loved what Kaylie was trying to do with buying the house where she felt the safest and happiest, loved even more that brown
Ian
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of contemporary romance and horse lovers
★★★☆ 3.5 Stars

Growing up in foster care has made Kaylie self reliant to the extreme. She returns to Hope Springs... to the only place she has ever called home, a large three storey Victorian which she plans on turning into a café. She immediately sets about renovating the house with the help of Ten, a local contractor.

Anyone who reads contemporary romance will know there are some themes you'll see time and time again. Renovations; restaurants; returned servicemen; handymen / contractors; cooki
Pamela
Feb 27, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
J.L. Berg
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've literally started this post about half a dozen times now. I don't know how else to start it other than saying this book is beautiful. And, there are brownies...lots and lots of brownies!

The Second Chance Cafe is about Kaylie Flynn, who has recently returned to Hope Springs, the town she spent the majority of her childhood being raised by a foster family. Her foster parents have both passed away, and she's recently purchased the house they left behind. Abandoned by her parents and raised in
Cindy
Sep 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-read
I'm having a hard time deciding what to write about this book. I was all set to Love this book....the storyline sounded like one I would really enjoy; fixing up an old house, hooking up with the carpenter, cooking-brownies, what is there not to like? For some reason, this book just fell short for me and I really can't figure it out.
(view spoiler)
Shelly Itkin
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was not prepared for such a delightful and heartwarming story as the one Alison Kent has written. The Second Chance Café had me hooked from page one and hope to read many other books by her.

This book introduces, Kaylie, a foster child who has spent most of her life in foster care. After going from one foster home to another, Kalie arrives at May and Winton's home and remains their for eight years. It is the best home she has ever been placed in and now she is returning to Hope Springs with her
Erika Tesoro
Feb 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Romanzo rosa leggero, molto leggero. Che poi la storia in realtà c’è, i personaggi pure ma la scrittura io l’ho trovata noiosa, noiosa forte. Sono arrivata finalmente a pensare “ora succederà qualcosa” che ero al 98%. Anche l’accendersi della passione, L’ innamoramento tra Kaylie e Ten è stato poco incisivo. E almeno sotto questo punto di vista avrebbe dovuto essere perfetto.
Ma la cosa che più mi ha lasciato allibita è che (inizia lo spoiler ma non ci posso nulla) ritrovato finalmente suo papà n
Terri
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audio version of this book and really liked it. There is more depth and more intense topics than it seems most people were expecting, going by what this author apparently usually writes. I had no preconceptions and maybe that's why it's a 5 star book for me. It is definitely more Chick Lit (or Women's Literature, if you prefer) than straight up romance. The characters have issues. Deep, dark issues with very serious topics involved.
Having said that, I loved the relationship bet
Lara
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-2017
I've had this book for a while and am so glad I finally read (listened to) it. The female lead is a baker who has bought the house she grew up in as a foster child to turn it into a cafe. The male lead is the contractor she hires to renovate the house. Each has guilt and tragedy in their pasts and are separated from family (for different reasons). Their attraction and chemistry are strong and evident. They do take time getting involved, and I liked how Kaylee is pretty honest and up front about ...more
Virginia Campbell
As a child, Kaylie Flynn moved from place to place in the Texas foster care system, finally finding a stable "home" with a foster family in Hope Springs. Her kind foster mother, May Wise, taught Kaylie about life and instilled in her a love of cooking and baking. When Kaylie turned eighteen and was no longer a "foster child", she left Hope Springs and started the next chapter in her life, working here and there and managing to earn a business degree. All along, she had one master plan in mind: t ...more
Annalisa - Lettrice di Libri blog
Kaylie ha 28 anni, dopo la morte dei suoi genitori affidatari ha deciso di comprare la casa dove è cresciuta con loro e di trasformarla in un caffè.
Dopo anni di case precarie, e un'infanzia difficile, questa bellissima abitazione di Hope Springs è l'unico posto in cui Kaylie si sia mai sentita amata e accettata, questo luogo è legato ai suo ricordi più belli e sente il bisogno di ripartire proprio da dove si è sentita più felice da adolescente.

La casa ovviamente è da ristrutturare per poter esse
Roz ~ My Written Romance
This review and others can be found at my blog, My Written Romance. Just click here.

This was a difficult review for me to write. I have mixed feelings about this book, having wanted to enjoy it more than I ended up doing. It was a lovely well-written story, but unfortunately there was something missing for me.

The romance between Kaylie and Tennessee (or Ten as he is referred to throughout the book) is slow in developing, and they take their time getting to know one another before becoming involv
Dotti Elrick
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book.
This was the first time I’ve read this author. With a new author you just never what you’re going to get. I was pleasantly surprised.
This book was a nice change of pace for me. While there is a romance woven into the plot, it wasn’t the main focus of the book. This book was about Kaylie, reconnecting with the only roots she knew, and finding who she truly is. And being ok with what she finds.
A lot of the books I’ve seen lately seem to rely on the insta-lust/love story
Allison
Apr 09, 2013 rated it liked it
This is one of those novels where the author takes a heartbreaking past, matches it with a strong yet flawed main character and then adds one of my favorite sidekicks...food!

Kaylie Flynn has moved back to the town of Hope Springs, Texas where she spent 8 years with a foster family she adored and loved. Those foster parents are gone now, but she jumps at the chance to buy their home where she found healing and love after a traumatizing event. It's her dream to turn this home into her own cafe to
Barb
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Growing up, Kaylie Flynn was shuffled from foster home to foster home before being welcomed into Winton and May Wise’s family. It was May who taught Kaylie the comfort of home, and the healing power of baking the perfect brownie. Years later, May leaves Kaylie the money she needs to open her own café in the charming Victorian house they once shared. Now back in Hope Springs, Kaylie’s determined to finally make all her dreams a reality—and unearth answers to lingering questions about her past.
So
Jade
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
All I could think while I was reading this book was that it was boring. Just plain boring. There were no real conflicts or plot twists.Some story lines were started and then dropped, perhaps as introductions for the next book, but within this book they felt meaningless and served only as fillers.
Basically it was too mundane for me. Finishing it became a challenge and struggle with myself. I liked both MCs, but I didn't fell like there was anything for me to care about in their story. It just di
Jana
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Second Chance Café is an incredible story of second chances and not of the romantic kind . ..it's about parents and children and the impact and consequences of actions and decisions . .. it is an amazing story and I don't only love Kaylie and Ten and Mitch but also all the other important characters we meet ... I have the next book already downloaded and I will dive into it now! It's good that it is the Labor day weekend !
Laura Napier
Jan 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
I struggled through reading about half of this book. I never had that "I can't put this book down" moment. I felt the chapters were too short. It never showed things happening, just the aftermath of things. I felt Ten was a tad creepy, at times. I think he was supposed to come off as romantic, but it ended up having creepy feel. This was in the "inspirational" section at the library...but there wasn't much inspiring in it.
Nicole
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. It's very different from Alison Kent's Harlequin Blazes and romantic suspenses, but it's very well done. I certainly didn't want it to end, though I imagine that the next book in the series, although it isn't about these characters, will continue to let us see how they are getting on.
Marisa
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
mi è piaciuto molto !! bei personaggi , bella storia ... voglio leggere anche gli altri della serie . ben scritto (soprattutto la versione originale in inglese) con dei bei personaggi
Angel
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an inspiring book. Never stop following your dreams!
Lis Carey
Kaylie Flynn has returned home to Hope Springs, Texas, where she lived as a foster child from age ten to age eighteen, in an unusually fortunate foster experience. Having built a successful career and a nice nestegg as baker, she has now bought the old home of her late and much-loved foster parents, Winton and May Wise, to be not only her home, but her new business, the Two Owls Cafe, serving lunch from 10am to 2pm.

She also has another mission, finding out what happened to her birth parents, and
CrazyForRomance
Quando Kaylie torna a Hope Springs ha solo un desiderio: comprare l’unica casa in cui sia mai stata felice e farne un caffè. Perché è proprio qui, in questa piccola comunità, che Kaylie all’età di soli nove anni capisce cosa voglia dire avere una famiglia e qualcuno che si occupi di lei. Data in affido dai quattro anni in poi, la sua vita è stata un' altalena emotiva di scelte sbagliate. Così una volta cresciuta capisce che per poter essere felice c’è un unico posto in cui tornare: l’unica casa ...more
Eliza
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Dopo un bel tomone come il libro di Ken Follett ci voleva qualcosa di leggero e di completamente diverso. La mia scelta è caduta su questo libro che stazionava sul mio comodino da Tempo di Libri quando mi è stato regalato. Non avevo mai letto nulla della AmazonCrossing e non so perché ma questa copertina mi aveva incuriosito.

La storia è in realtà piuttosto semplice e mi ha ricordato quei film del pomeriggio che di solito allietano le nostre estati. Niente
Sorairo
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chi ha voglia di leggerezza ( e dolci, quelli che si mangiano) sarà deliziato da questo romanzo che narra le gesta di una ragazza che vuole realizzare i propri progetti e scoprire la verità sulla sua famiglia che la ha abbandonata da piccolissima. Se poi c'è un tuttofare che la aiuterà nell'apertura del caffè, ma con suoi problemi personali, siamo sul pezzo! Ed anche in cucina perchè Kaylie condividerà con noi le ricette dei suoi formidabili brownies. Una storia forse troppo semplice, ma appassi ...more
Alicia
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am giving this book a 4 because I had started reading it, put it down and then had to search long and hard to remember the title of it to finally finish. I was thoroughly satisfied with how the book ended and the tension that is woven throughout the story, even having taken a long break after initially starting it. I engaged with Kaylie and Ten and found them to be very sympathetic characters and could definitely see how Luna's story has become its own book. I also felt very compelled to make ...more
Adelyn Grudier
Can I pull a bad pun and say it was half baked? It was an interesting read in that there wasn't a lot of grammar or spelling corrections but trying to instill mystery into it all fell flatter than flat, in my estimation. There wasn't any mystery there to begin with and attempting to make the characters more than they were just didn't do it for me. Characters may have been expanded in later books but they needed more flesh on them to fit in properly.
I read it and I finished it but can't say I wil
Evelyn Boreros
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story

Loved this story and all of the characters that made the story. My Mom lived to be 82 and my Dad lived to be 101. Can't imagine what my life would have been without them. Kaylee's story, her thoughts, her emptiness, her lonliness, made me so sad. But, that is what's makes a story so good that you read it in two sittings.

Y life would have been

T them.
william casey
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A heartwarming story.

I enjoyed this book so much. The young girl had a very hard kife, until good people found her. It also says a lot about fostercare. You hear all the horror stories but never the happy ending one. This is a happy ending. I love this authors writing, down to earth. Im reading alot of the older books that were her first published, she's fined tuned a lot of her newer ones. A must read...
Ann
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This romance has unexpected depth

Well, it's the standard of story of boy, meet girl and girl likes boy and they get together. The dialogue is pretty impressive, subtle references to music and books.. I like the multiple dimensions that characters use to work out their emotions. Baking , weaving,a cooking, as well as the less useful ones like distancing or ignoring. So that makes this better than the average romance.
  • Hunk for the Holidays (Hunk for the Holidays, #1)
  • Jax and the Beanstalk Zombies (Fairy True, #1)
  • Some Girls Lie (Outback Heat, #4)
  • Kiss The Bride (Montana Born Brides #5; The Davis Sisters #2)
  • Recipe for Kisses (Colorado Hearts #2)
  • Sanctuary Island (Sanctuary Island #1)
  • Live (Burnside, #1)
  • His Forbidden Princess (Royal Holiday, #4)
  • The Long Way Home (Chesapeake Diaries, #6)
  • Take Me Home (Country Roads, #1)
  • Love Down Under: Eight New Zealand & Australian Feel-Good Beach Romances
  • The Divided Child
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
  • Death Cache (Romance on the Edge, #4)
  • The Fairy Tale Bride (Montana Born Brides, #1)
  • Just What He Wanted (Holloway, #4)
  • Cinderella's Cowboy (This Old House, #4)
  • When Love's at Work (Embracing Love Trilogy, #1)
I often read of or hear about authors who knew they were meant to tell stories from the time they left the crib. Me? I didn't decide what I wanted to be when I grew up until I was thirty years old - and then sold my first book at thirty-four. Still, it was obvious that I always knew I was going places.

Like so many other authors, I was a voracious reader from day one, devouring everything from Nanc

Hope Springs (5 books)
  • Beneath the Patchwork Moon (Hope Springs, #2)
  • The Sweetness of Honey (Hope Springs #3)
  • Bliss and the Art of Forever (Hope Springs, #4)
  • The Comfort of Favorite Things (Hope Springs #5)

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
  • Shadow Woman
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement