Start by marking “94 Maidens” as Want to Read:
94 Maidens

94 Maidens

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  111 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
WHEN THE UNIMAGINABLE IS THE ONLY THING LEFT TO DO...
They are innocent schoolgirls ranging in age from 14 to 22. Under normal circumstances they should be learning, laughing, and playing. Unfortunately, the year is 1942 and the place is Nazi-occupied Poland. Nothing is normal. On the night of August 11, dressed only in cotton nightgowns, they await their fate at the hand
Published October 3rd 2012 by Dog Ear Publishing

To ask other readers questions about 94 Maidens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 94 Maidens

Carol
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written book about the German/Jewish Holocaust and a family that lived through the hell. This is a true, interwoven story that captures your attention from the first pages and true attitude of people who just don't understand. Teenage attitude, husband's impatience all turn into a rare opportunity to learn not just about the Holocaust but to learn about your family and the history of survival. It is a quick read, mostly because you just can not stop!
Caryn
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing writing! I had to read this a little at a time because i cried every time i read a passage from this book! SO VERY proud and impressed with my friend Rhonda! Everyone should read this!
Maria
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-favorites
This was an interesting look at what happened to one family during World War II. I learned things about the holocaust that I did not know before - and I knew a LOT before.

Keep your tissues handy for this story.

UPDATE - (about one week later)

So, I got an email saying that the author liked my review. However, my review was a very quick summary that did not do the book justice. I am in a hurry again but I am going to try and do better this time.

In the first scene of the book teenagers get exaspe
Len Knighton
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
94 Maidens is the riveting story of the author’s family history as she discovered it and perceived it as told in the historical novel portion of the book. Three tributaries contribute to this one river of suspense and emotion. Rhonda Fink-Whitman, with her husband and son, takes an eventful journey through the portals that enable her to learn of her ancestors who lived and died during the Holocaust. One branch of the river, pictured on the cover of the book, is also a branch of her family tree, ...more
Diane Stefan

5.0 out of 5 stars! A Must Read!!
I just finished reading 94 Maidens last evening – hard through the tears. . .but such a well written, sad and beautiful sharing of truths, extreme evil and pure goodness. . . a true rendering of family and life, death, unimaginable sorrow, written so well – weaving and flowing and connecting the horrible past and the hope-filled future.
Samara
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favs
I read this after following the original story on FB. Excellent!
Robin Loveman
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
It was a moving story, but very poorly written. And unless you know absolutely nothing about the Holocaust, there is far too much unnecessary explanation.
Fern
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brought tears to my eyes and heart.
Colleen Brown
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent heartbreaking, heartwarming novel. Please read and please continue to educate.
Laurie
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A must read for everyone. The fictional accounts cannot convey the horrors of that time as first hand telling does.
Judith
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book has a setting which is current, and reminded me of the affect that the horrible Holocaust killings has on the world.
Adina
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book didn't live up to the 4 and 5 star reviews it got at all. It felt like the present story and the flashback story were written by two different authors. The writing in the present day story was so juvenile. And while the flash back story was interesting is seemed very choppy and all over the map. I'm thinking this is because it's based on a true story and the historical info wasn't completely filled in. Overall the story of the family's history was very interesting but the book wasn't w ...more
Nancy S
May 04, 2014 rated it liked it
I would like to give this book a 5, as many have done, but I think many of them are because of the painful subject matter. The characters are all likeable, but there is not much depth to them. I never felt I really knew any of them. The storyline, about Jews living through the Holocaust, is also glossed over. I never really felt the horror, except the foreboding I had from because of my previous knowledge of what was likely to happen.

Not a bad book, but not a great one, either.
JoAnn
Jan 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I decided to read this book because I am familiar with the author, Rhonda Fink Whitman's work calling attention to the need for Pennsylvania to have mandated Holocaust education. Now that Governor Corbett has signed such a bill I am hoping that our children will able to understand this period in history.
If you have not seen her interviews of college students regarding the whole period surrounding the Holocaust, you should. One of the interviews is entitled 94 Maidens.
Amy
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Once I got past the first chapter, I started to get drawn into the story. I've read quite a bit about the Holocaust but still learned some new (& terrible) things that occurred. At times I found myself having to "get through" the author's personal account in order to read the more compelling (and better written) narratives.
Katie
It's neither great history (really basic stuff to anyone who's familiar with the Holocaust) nor highly accurate/detailed historical fiction, and with a long list of books on my "to read" pile, I set this aside.
Liz
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is a very easy read-unfortunatly I found this out last night when I started it at 9:30 and finished at 2:30 in the morning. It has been a very long time since I have read a book in one sitting and even in that short period of time I got very attached to the characters.
C
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This story is absolutely compelling and interesting. However, the author needs an editor to get this book into better shape and the storyline needs some reformatting. Still, this book is a worthwhile read, even though it is a bit rough around the edges.
Kathryn
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a compelling story and quick read. Like other reviews, I felt it was a bit choppy and disjointed. I would recommend it for its content though.
Paige
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
A little choppy at times, but a great story.
David Boardman
Feb 11, 2014
Daddy's Favorite
May 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Shadow Warriors: The Untold Stories of American Special Operations During WWII
  • Kiyo's Story: A Japanese-American Family's Quest for the American Dream
  • Eichmann Before Jerusalem: The Unexamined Life of a Mass Murderer
  • Out of the Depths: An Unforgettable WWII Story of Survival, Courage, and the Sinking of the USS Indianapolis
  • Hansi: The Girl Who Loved the Swastika
  • John Bell Hood: The Rise, Fall, and Resurrection of a Confederate General
  • Fire Base Illingworth: An Epic True Story of Remarkable Courage Against Staggering Odds
  • Darkness in Paradise: Memories of Onno VanDemmeltraadt from His Youth in Indonesia during WWII
  • A Death at Crooked Creek: The Case of the Cowboy, the Cigarmaker, and the Love Letter
  • Not I: Memoirs of a German Childhood
  • Calamity at Chancellorsville: The Wounding and Death of Confederate General Stonewall Jackson
  • A Thousand Shall Fall: The Electrifying Story of a Soldier and His Family Who Dared to Practice Their Faith in Hitler's Germany
  • The Filthy Thirteen: From the Dustbowl to Hitler's Eagle's Nest - The True Story of the 101st Airborne's Most Legendary Squad of Combat Paratroopers
  • My Name Was Five:  A Novel of the Second World War
  • The Proud Bastards: One Marine's Journey from Parris Island through the Hell of Vietnam
  • Shadow of His Hand: a Story Based on the Life of Holocaust Survivor Anita Dittman (Daughters of the Faith Series)
  • Mosaic: A Chronicle of Five Generations
  • Enola Gay: The Bombing of Hiroshima
"It wasn't my choice to write this story...it was my responsibility." ~ Rhonda Fink-Whitman is a veteran TV and radio personality as well as an award-winning screenwriter, longtime Jewish educator and the daughter of a Holocaust survivor. 94 Maidens is her first novel.

She lives in a suburb of Philadelphia with her husband, two children, and two cats. In their free time, for which they thank our tr
More about Rhonda Fink-Whitman...

“It wasn't my choice to write this story...it was my responsibility.” 3 likes