Start by marking “Crazy Summer (The Wig #1)” as Want to Read:
Crazy Summer (The Wig #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Crazy Summer

(The Wig #1)

An embarrassing underwear incident? A lesson on a runaway bike? Grandma's wig at the fire department? These and lots of other adventures await ten-year-old Sofie, whose life is pretty ordinary until she finds out that her family has to move in with her grandma - not her favorite grandma - her other grandma. While Sofie tries to adjust to her new life in Wisconsin, she gets ...more
Published October 6th 2012 by Renata Suerth (first published June 9th 2012)

Start your review of Crazy Summer (The Wig #1)
Liza
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own

I LOVED THIS STORY. Even as an adult I can relate to Sofie's story. Leaving all you know to start all over in the home of a grandmother you hardly knew. One who seems strange in comparison to the grandmother you see all the time. Starting over is hard for anyone, but Sofie learned a lot over the summer. Can't to read the next book!
Laurie
An absolutely delightful and charming book written for young readers but can be enjoyed by anyone. I instantly fell in love with Sofie, a ten-year-old girl whose entire world is turned topsy-turvy when her family moves in with a distant, quirky grandmother following a profound financial hardship due to the economic collapse.

Sofie tells all as only a child can; learning of the dreaded move and then getting settled into her new home – as readers, we share her consternation and her fear
Angie
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great children's book. I finished it in an hour or so, so it was a quick read. I'm going to read the next book in the series too to find out how school goes for Sofie.
Sylvia
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was very interesting and keeps your attention. I enjoyed it.
Krazybooklady
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a review from Krazy Book GIRL, the 16 year old daughter of Krazy Book Lady.

The Wig by Renata Suerth is a middle grade novel about a girl who goes to live with her crazy grandmother. Her grandmother has been wearing the same style of wig for at least twenty years and is not too keen on the idea on giving it up. Sofie gets into many sticky situations including setting the house on fire, almost losing her sister and running down the street in her underwear! She learns a lot, from crushes on the/>The
Justine
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads-wins
I received this book free from Goodreads First Reads in exchange for an honest review.
The initial reason why I entered this giveaway was because this book had an interesting title lol. Then I actually read the summary and it sounded like a fun and cute read. Suerth did not disappoint, The Wig was exactly that, a fun summery read that was also entertaining. I really loved the whole storyline. I feel like it was believable and relatable.
My only issue was with the main character Sofie. I was
Karen Toz
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wig is a charming story about ten year old Sophia. The story opens with poor Sophia learning that her family is moving out of state to live with her grandmother...not the fun grandmother who lives back in Sophia's old town, but the other grandmother... the one who cannot cook and wears a wig.

Throughout her crazy summer, Sophia finds herself in some hilarious and embarrassing situations. Out of boredom, she occasionally even finds herself in trouble. In the end, Sophia learns abou
Jason Lewis
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-won
A great book that takes the adventures and thoughts that can run through any kid's head during a great change in their lives. Easy to read and follow that I can see many readers thoroughly enjoying the journeys experienced by the main character.
Also can be an excellent book choice for those kids getting ready to spend time with their 'other grandmother' as Suerth writes and describes with the use of character attitudes showing constant comparisons and surprise discoveries along the journey.
Amy Holiday
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-grade
Fun, enthusiastic, maybe a little over the top. easy read.
Susan
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a cute children's book about a young girl (age 11, I think), whose parents lose their house and they have to move in with grandma--who wears a wig.
Sarah Jennifer Brooke
Bev
Apr 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dinner at Deadman's
  • Identity Issues (Samantha #1)
  • The Golden Apple of Discord (The Discord Trilogy, #1)
  • Instinct
  • Bulletproof (Unknown Identities #1)
  • Plague
  • The Bonded
  • River of Bones
  • The Puppet Spell
  • The Newstead Project
  • Spell Fire
  • Characters in Search of a Novel
  • Upload
  • Blood and Bone (Jack Hawthorne Adventure #3)
  • Matt Archer: Legend (Matt Archer #3)
  • Mirror Deep
  • Blood Drama
  • Murder on the First Day of Christmas (Chloe Carstairs, #1)
I read and wrote as soon a I could read and write. I also listened . . . a lot . . . to people's stories.
My family immigrated to the U.S. from the Czech Republic when I was ten years old. I didn't speak English so the transition was pretty tough. I started 5th grade not just in a new neighborhood but in a new country.
Like the protagonist, Sofia, in THE WIG series, I dealt with setbacks

The Wig (5 books)
  • New School & Other Stuff (The Wig #2)
  • Happy Holidays (THE WIG, #3)
  • Cold Feet (The Wig #4)
  • When Pigs Fly (The Wig #5)
“think her motherly instincts are slipping.” 0 likes