Start by marking “Capitalism at the Crossroads: Aligning Business, Earth, and Humanity” as Want to Read:
Capitalism at the Crossroads: Aligning Business, Earth, and Humanity

Capitalism at the Crossroads: Aligning Business, Earth, and Humanity

"Capitalism at the Crossroads is built on strong theoretical underpinnings and illustrated with many practical examples. The author offers a pioneering roadmap to responsible macroeconomics and corporate growth."
-Clayton Christensen, Professor of Business Administration, Harvard Business School and author of The Innovator's Dilemma

"I hope this book will be able to influenc
Paperback, Second Edition, 260 pages
Published July 1st 2007 by FT Press

To ask other readers questions about Capitalism at the Crossroads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Capitalism at the Crossroads

Start your review of Capitalism at the Crossroads: Aligning Business, Earth, and Humanity
Kristen
Oct 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, non-fiction
This book is much better than the other "business should have social responsibilities" books I have read. I think the reason I like it is that it's arguement is not "business should stop trying to make as much money as possible" (which I find unrealistic). Instead, Hart gives the reader specific recommendations and cites detailed examples, making it possible for the first time (for me, at least), to believe that being socially responnsible may actually be cost effecive, and therefore, possible. ...more
Ben
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Ran out of steam after first half. lots of reiteration and referencing the same case studies. but:

solid book for understanding sustainability and business. good to learn the key players with Grameen and HLL. some strategic insights about how to lead base of the pyramid initiatives in an organization. very good book for an introduction to sustainability!
Sheehan
Apr 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Content and thematically very good, very positive, somewhat encouraging.

This book was a referral from my father-in-law, who after years of fit and start discussions about the efficacy (or lack there of) of capitalism, gives me this book and advises, "Read this...and pass along to your brothers (in-law)" Capitalism at the Crossroads is ironically enough, essentially a tame business-writing version of the same polemical arguments I have read been reading for years in more left-leaning periodicals
Lester
Aug 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
First Chapters rather confused and incoherent. Develops a fictive and not very believable model of 3 'economies' and 3 'markets'. Talks about the need for transnational business, value propositions for shareholders etc. the model assumes a future for capitalism where growth and profit is still the accepted norm. Inequality was noted as an important byproduct, but no solution to this provided.

About halfway through the book, the example of the automotive industry moving to 'clean' models and in p
Jiwa Rasa
Jul 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Buku ini sangat menarik kerana menyalahkan kapitalism atas bencana yang melanda dunia. Tamak haloba menyebabkan kehancuran alam, keganasan dan pembangunan tidak seimbang berlaku.

Pembangunan berimbang adalah jawabannya. Bottom of Pyramid adalah sasarannya. Bisnes boleh memacu kemajuan dan keamanan duni seperti yang telahdibuktikan oleh Grameen.
Carolyn Dobervich
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a book the world needs now. It is rich with examples of ways business can profitably draw down from the danger of extreme climate change. I read this awhile ago but I recall that Hart advises many multinational companies, large ones, and he makes the case that developed markets can’t consume much more. But developing regions and non polluting technology can keep them thriving.
Shirley
Oct 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Shirley by: Ivan G.
Shelves: sustainability
I found this to be a really helpful primer w.r.t. sustainability, very clearly bringing all of the pieces together, while most reads are about one particular area, i.e. CSR, bottom/base of the period, greening. A great build upon Prahalad's BoP work. Hopeful. Practical.

(And of course... makes a wolverine proud. ;p)
Jose Manic
Aug 29, 2016 rated it liked it
It's an argument aimed at business leaders, I think, to make them more responsible and green. The way the moral arguments are sometimes embroiled with the profit-motive ones was unsatisfying to me. But perhaps I am too used to package politics.
Ellen
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
I really liked this book because it lays out a blueprint for how businesses can adapt and profit from sustainable enterprise and working toward improving the quality of life for the global population.
Brent
May 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
persuasive, non-judgmental, practical arguments for companies to move beyond a strict bottom line quarter profits and into sustainability in the short/long term and inside/outside itself.
Rae
Apr 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This book so interesting!! I definitely recommend it, especially if you love sustainability and saving the environment.
Robert
Mar 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Stuart Hart has a perspective on sustainable business that is influenced by the Bottom of the Pyramid and international development.
Alessandra
Dec 18, 2008 rated it liked it
A must read for me since I will be studying under this guys next year. I thought it was fascinating, but I'm sure most people aren't as nerdy as me.
Seth Paddock
Jan 23, 2013
Liz
Dec 23, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Magician King (The Magicians, #2)
  • The Magician's Land (The Magicians, #3)
  • The Magicians (The Magicians, #1)
  • William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #4)
  • Master and Commander (Aubrey & Maturin, #1)
  • Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, #1)
  • Orr: My Story
  • Solomon Gursky Was Here
  • Shoeless Joe
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
  • Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
  • The End of Growth
  • A Short History of Nearly Everything
  • A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4)
  • Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders?: (And How to Fix It)
  • The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
  • The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever