Start by marking “Ashtanga Yoga: Practice and Philosophy” as Want to Read:
Ashtanga Yoga: Practice and Philosophy

Ashtanga Yoga: Practice and Philosophy

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  405 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Ashtanga Yoga: Practice and Philosophy is the first book of its kind, presenting a comprehensive guide to all eight limbs of Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga. Join author Gregor Maehle, a seasoned yogi and compassionate teacher, as he guides you through the history and lineage of yoga; the fundamentals of breath, bandhas (energy locks within the body), drishti (the focal point of the ...more
Published August 28th 2007 by New World Library

To ask other readers questions about Ashtanga Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ashtanga Yoga

Geoff
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This a very good book on Ashtanga Yoga in general and an excellent reference on the primary series. It is essentially two books in one. The first half of the book is a guide through every single vinyasa of the primary series. The second half of the book is a lengthy translation of the yoga sutras of Patanjali with commentary.

The first half of the book can easily be compared with David Swenson's book on the same topic. The strengths of Swenson's book is that it is spiral bound, with one posture p
Alex
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excelente libro que detalla a profundidad el método de Ashtanga Yoga. En particular, las minuciosas descripciones anatómicas de cada postura así como una erudita y profunda explicación del significado de cada uno de los Yoga sutras de Patanjali hacen a este libro una obra de refencia indispensable para cualquier practicante serio de Ashtanga yoga. Absolutamente recomendable y de lectura iluminadora.
Erik
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The most in-depth explanation of Ashtanga that i've come across. A visual stunner, too.
Adam Centurione
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A prime resource of mine in learning the Primary Series, that enabled me to begin that practice in a healthy state of mind, with safety. It is a complete overview of the primary series with detailed instruction of each vinyasa. There is instruction on bandhas, breathing, Drshti, vinyasa. With a german health practitioner's licence, Maehle is able to define how each asana can contribute to therapy as well as contributing to the third limb of Ashtanga Yoga.

The first half is dedicated to the prima
Annie Vu
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga
After reading much review, I settled on this book as my first serious Yoga book and I don't think I could have done any better. This book is very thorough, covering all aspects of yoga, explaining in layman term all the what, who, why, how that you need to know about Ashtanga yoga.

The first section is a nice introduction into Ashtanga, covering eight limbs of Ashtanga yoga and how one achieves them through the seemingly strictly physical practice of asanas. I especially enjoy the sections on br
Tami
Apr 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
In the western world, yoga is often viewed as a great way to exercise- perfect for flexibility and stress management. It is that. However, in our ignorance, we are only getting part of the benefits of this practice.

True yoga is not only about the physical positions it is also about the philosophy. Without the philosophy, the forms have no context or meaning. Moreover, without this balance, students may actually be causing themselves and their bodies harm.

Ashtanga Yoga is an important resource
JPM
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga
My favourite of my Ashtanga books. Very thorough, very well presented, very enjoyable reading. I really like the anatomical illustrations and explanations, as well as the small boxed texts and tips throughout the book. The photographs are very nice as well. The author does an excellent job of giving background and very helpful descriptions on the poses and movements-- how they should feel, how the body moves into or out of a pose or sequence, what to be aware of in terms of not injurying one's s ...more
Hannah Henson
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book has so much information in it! I know that as I grow in my practice, I will be using this as a reference time and again. I'll have to agree with the other reviewers when I say that this is a must read for any Ashtanga practitioner. The deeper I delve into my practice, the more this book makes sense.
Kristin
Oct 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: practitioners of Ashtanga
Shelves: philosophy, yoga
While David Swenson's book offers some great modifications, this book delves more into the anatomy and how-to of the Primary Series.

At the back of the book (in the version I have) is a translation of the Yoga Sutras.
Goncalo
Jul 04, 2015 added it
Shelves: reference
reading for reference
Erin
Nov 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Easy to follow instructions for the ashtanga practice.
Vova
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Про аштангу исчерпывающе.
Alexis
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great photos, instruction, history, philosophy and the Yoga Sutra.
Johnida
Jan 20, 2011 rated it liked it
I really like idea of combining the asanas with the sutras into a single book. Overall, a well-rounded collection. However, I prefer Iyengar's translations of the sutras to the ones included here.
Brankica
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must-read for every Ashtangi. :)
Gabe
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent all-around overview of the primary series and the 8 limbs in general. His passion and detail in each aspect of this book is refreshing.
Amberjack
Jul 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hiatus
-really in-depth descriptions of how to get into the poses, and what you should be focusing on. Also has good tips for exercises to work on if you can't do the full pose.
Edmundo
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed particulary the second part with the interpretation of the sutras
Megan
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book.
Tom
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have owned David Swenson's book (my favorite on the subject of yoga postures) for a long time, and didn't expect to buy another title on Ashtanga. But I was impressed by Maehle's "Pranayama", browsed through this volume, and felt I had to read it. I very much like Maehle's thorough research and scholarship within a practical orientation. Definitely an author to follow.
Sylvie
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You will have to read it...no other comment will bring any value to it.
Alex Boon
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Superb except for the irritating assertions about the existence of God. I have read better interpretations of the Sutras but otherwise an excellent reference manual for the asana particularly.
Beth
Feb 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga-meditation
A thorough yet accessible explanation of not only the physical practice of Ashtanga Vinyasa yoga, but the history and philosophy as well. The second main section, a commentary on Patanjali's Yoga Sutras, was interesting. Recommended reading for all serious yoga practitioners, especially Ashtangis.
Cherie
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
B This text was used for the YTT at one of the yoga centers I studied at in India. I didn't find it very reader-friendly and not suitable for yoga beginners. He really does outline a lot of points, but I'd say this book has a limited audience, even amongst ashtangis.
Yahaira
Aug 31, 2010 rated it liked it
I really like how he explains and guides you through the poses, but his translation of the yoga sutras is too off and long-winded for me.
Apr 12, 2012
Suresh Boorla
Apr 12, 2015
Carol Vieira
Feb 07, 2018
  • Yoga Mala: The Seminal Treatise and Guide from the Living Master of Ashtanga Yoga
  • Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual
  • The Mirror of Yoga: Awakening the Intelligence of Body and Mind
  • The Power of Ashtanga Yoga: Developing a Practice That Will Bring You Strength, Flexibility, and Inner Peace--Includes the complete Primary Series
  • Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice
  • Guruji: A Portrait of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois Through the Eyes of His Students
  • Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness
  • Light on Prãnãyãma: The Yogic Art of Breathing
  • Yoga and Ayurveda: Self-Healing and Self-Realization
  • Teaching Yoga: Exploring the Teacher-Student Relationship
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Jivamukti Yoga: Practices for Liberating Body and Soul
  • The Inner Tradition of Yoga: A Guide to Yoga Philosophy for the Contemporary Practitioner
  • Teaching Yoga: Essential Foundations and Techniques
  • Mindfulness Yoga: The Awakened Union of Breath, Body, and Mind
  • The Deeper Dimension of Yoga: Theory and Practice
“Vinyasa Three With the inhalation, lift the whole torso, attempting to concave or at least flatten out the low back while gazing up between the eyebrows. Unless one is extremely flexible, it is recommended to lift the hands off the floor and let only the fingertips keep contact with it. The legs work strongly, and the torso is buoyant, supported by the extensor muscles of the back. Keep the heart lifted, broaden the shoulders, draw the shoulder blades down the back, and press them on to the back. This positioning of the shoulders prepares them to take the weight of the body for the jump-back into Chaturanga Dandasana.” 0 likes
“FIGURE 6 DISC BULGE” 0 likes