Start by marking “English Grammar in Use with Answers: Reference and Practice for Intermediate Students” as Want to Read:

(Grammar in Use)

A self-study reference and practice book for intermediate and more advanced learners of English. Covering all areas of language which students at this level find difficult, this substantially revised and updated book retains the clarity, simplicity and accessibility of the first edition, adding to it new and redesigned units and appendices, modified right-hand page ...more
Paperback, 2nd edition, 350 pages
Published January 28th 1994 by Cambridge University Press (first published 1985)

Start your review of English Grammar in Use with Answers: Reference and Practice for Intermediate Students
Exina
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, textbook
English Grammar in Use was a required reading for my studies and I still use it sometimes. It's one of my favorite language books.
Nərmin
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My best English teacher)))
Danceangel
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
If I could give this book a 10, I definitely would. This is the very book I learned and polished my grammar with, just by sitting and doing all the exercises, one by one, every day. Highly recommend!
Suzanne
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Grammar bible - my constant companion for over 18 years as a teacher of English as a foreign language.
Earl Grey Tea
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: esl, grammar
The order of the grammar points presented were not what I would consider the most ideal order. Also, a few items (especially conditionals) were not explained in away that would be intuitive to someone learning this for the first time.

Despite these flaws, the book did have a lot of explanations that could help people understand some of the finer points of different grammar patterns. Even the conditionals sections had some explanations of different aspects that could help clarify or reinforce the
Lord Beardsley
Can't really give this a star rating because...well...it's a text book. I had to read it for the Celta course (which is probably the reason any English speaker would read it). Yep, it gets the job done. Sometimes the British English made me question 1.) my sanity 2.) my language 3.) my humanity.
Sergey Barsamyan
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely THE BEST ESL GRAMMAR BOOK. Raymond Murphy should've got Nobel for this masterpiece.
Vladimir Rybalko
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: languages
This is the best self-study grammar book in the world!
Do you want to learn an English grammar from scratch? Or may be you just need to brush up your grammar skills. Nevermind, welcome to start reading.
You won't be disappointed.
Mochizuki
May 04, 2010 rated it liked it
This is one of the best grammar books I've ever found! Very didadict and with an easy to use step by step format (138 units) it's a very good source to the self-student (every unit has a lot of exercises and the book provide you with an answers guide at its end).
Ira Bespalova
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All Murphy's textbooks are awesome manuals to the English language. There are all levels from beginner to advanced. Loads of exercises, rules, useful advice. A free tutor of English at home!
Demetre Suladze
a good book self-study
ReadingKoala
Nov 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspending
Pithy and easy to understand :)
Michael Goodine
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are quite a few good grammar books available to students and teachers nowadays, but English Grammar in Use is still my favorite. A new fifth edition was published this year, and I will continue recommend it to students. Though it is advertised as a book for intermediate learners, I usually recommend it even to upper-intermediate and advanced students.

The 145 units in the book (and related appendices and extra exercises) make it a fairly comprehensive look at English grammar. With 34 years
Bùi Hải
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I bought the 2nd edition of this book from the 11th grade and used it until I graduated university.
It's a great book for your self study with practical examples and situations. I highly recommend it for English learners from beginning to intermediate levels.

I have just one advice for my Vietnamese fellows: don't buy the bi-lingual version (Vietnamse-English). Because the nature of the book is learning from reading the examples (in use), not from remembering the grammar rules. You cannot learn a
عادل المشهداني
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm using this book to improve my English as well I use it as a reference. Wonderful book for learners,you can explore all grammar with variety of examples and simplified manner. It contains alot of exercises.
I recommend it highly.
Tracey
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: esl-books
THE grammar resource for students (and teachers!). And the layout is completely user-friendly. Clear explanations and examples on the left, exercises on the right. My fave book for my ESL students for the past 12 yrs.
Eastofoz
The second book in the "Grammar In Use series". Just as good as the first. Excellent grammar guide with simple rules and progressively difficult exercises. Review section is very good as is the summary pull-out grammar guide at the back. The entire "In Use" is top notch!
Malak
Sep 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Best book in teaching GRAMMAR. Taught me all I know.
Vara
Jul 30, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Good
Bader
Jul 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-my-library
very helpful and easy sourse for english grammar. It is a very important book for every personal or publeic library.
Jay
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The whole series, English grammar in use, books published by Cambridge university are the most worthy books for the people who are not English native-speaker.
Sylvia
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, language
I use this constantly with my students! Great exercises and clear explanations. Perfect for ESL / EFL teachers.
Germancho
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Adriana (my wife) studied english with that book a couple of years ago, and she loved it. Recommended if you're serious about learning english.
Perpecaltus rhili
great to use this book,,,lot of grammar references ...
Layla Hamad
Mar 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good source for EFL and ESL learners,, i highly recommend it.
Bipeen
Mar 24, 2012 is currently reading it
I want to read this book to increase by knowedge.
Edward Demin
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Going to read it again (maybe twice)
« previous 1 3 next »
Best-selling Grammar Book 1 2 Oct 14, 2019 01:24PM

• Practical English Usage
  • English Grammar in Use Supplementary Exercises: With Answers
  • A Practical English Grammar
  • Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
  • Learning Teaching (Macmillan Books for Teachers)
  • Fundamentals of English Grammar
  • The Study of Language
  • The Practice of English Language Teaching
  • English Phonetics and Phonology
  • Understanding and Using English Grammar
  • English Vocabulary in Use Upper-Intermediate & Advanced
  • How to Teach English
  • 101 American English Idioms: Understanding and Speaking English Like an American
  • American Accent Training: A Guide to Speaking and Pronouncing American English for Anyone Who Speaks English as a Second Language (Book and CD)
  • Essential Grammar in Use Supplementary Exercises: With Answers
  • A Course in Phonetics
  • How English Works: A Grammar Practice Book
  • Techniques and Principles in Language Teaching

Grammar in Use (4 books)
  • Essential Grammar in Use: A Self-Study Reference and Practice Book for Elementary Students of English with Answers [With CDROM]
  • Advanced Grammar in Use: A Self-Study Reference and Practice Book for Advanced Learners of English
  • Basic Grammar in Use Without Answers: Reference and Practice for Students of English [With CD (Audio)]