Start by marking “Dead Insider (A Loon Lake Mystery #13)” as Want to Read:
Dead Insider (A Loon Lake Mystery #13)

Dead Insider

(A Loon Lake Mystery #13)

In the midst of a catastrophic August rainstorm, a grisly discovery shatters the serenity of a summer evening in northern Wisconsin. Moving quickly to prevent a panic among tourists, Loon Lake Police Chief Lewellyn Ferris enlists the forensic and interrogation skills of her close friend and fellow fly fisherman, the retired dentist "Doc" Osborne. Within hours of launching ...more
Published June 18th 2013 by Gallery Books (first published May 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Insider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Insider

Robert
May 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This novel reminded me of a one-trick pony. But before I get to that particular problem, I need to address another issue first. DEAD INSIDER started off well enough, with the murder occurring in the first chapter, or at least the allusion to it. But then there was this giant chasm of character development and scene setting and dinner parties that was certainly interesting, except for the fact that there was way too much of it. I mean, the dead body didn’t show up until the 34% mark on my Kindle ...more
Dianna
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
A cozy whodunit mystery, #13 in the series, that can stand on it's own. Although Houston does a nice job of 'filling you in' on the returning characters, you do get a better sense of them by reading previous ones. And I happen to like all the characters even if the plot was a little thin. I also liked that it is a fast read and sometimes you need one of those...
Eileen Lynx
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good story with evil politicians.
April Showers Bring Fungi From Yuggoth
Apparently, this is 23th in a series, "Loon Lake Mystery." Means I have a lot to catch up on.:)

Review of Dead Insider by Victoria Houston
5 stars
This is the 13th in a series, the Loon Lake Mysteries, set in Northern Wisconsin, a land of lakes and firs, cold winters, beautiful summers, and isolation from big city confines. Loon Lake, a community, has 300 lakes within its town limits. Chief of Police is Lewellyn Ferris, a strong but lovable individual, deeply involved in a steady relationship with
Patrick Balester
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dead Insider is a great way to kill a few hours.

Jane Ericsson, heir apparent to her father's Wisconsin Senate seat and hip deep in an exhausting election run, has a few minor problems. She's had a falling out with her lifelong friend Kaye, she drinks too much, and her accountant says the campaign fund is missing tens of thousands of dollars. On top of that, a long buried secret in her past threatens to derail her career before it even gets started.

But before she gets a chance to take any action,
Jan C
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2013
This book was a surprise. I wasn't expecting much. It was either a freebie from Kindle or else very cheap. So I wasn't expecting much.

But it does take place in northern (?) Wisconsin. I have relatives who live on lakes and rivers and fish. I don't fish. But I do live a couple of blocks from a Great Lake. Growing up we had property in Wisconsin. No house because we got a boat and the majority of our time then was spent on the boat, either working on it or sailing it.

This book involves a woman run
Joan
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
During a flood, the pieces of a body are discovered floating, all neatly wrapped in freezer paper so the police officer who discovers them thinks he has found himself some nice venison steaks. The victim turns out to be a woman who is running for the US Senate.

These books are very light reading and anyone who knows forensics would probably shudder, but I find the people and the Wisconsin northwoods setting interesting. Plus, there is always a very satisfying ending.
Annie
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A most excellent 5 star read! I don't know why I love this series, I don't even like to fish...:)
Nate Djupstrom
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Easy read. Nothing fancy. I like that this series takes place in Wisconsin.
Julie
A woman found dead in Lake Loon turns out to be running for senate. Lew & Doc Osborne & Ray have to figure out what really happened.

Laid back police procedural which includes a lot of fishing.
aprilla
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoy this series
Clay Stafford
There is so much to like about Victoria Houston’s new novel, “Dead Insider,” I almost don’t know where to begin.

Plot-wise, it is what I might call a suspenseful cozy, or maybe a rural mystery, or a light mystery: It takes place in a remote area where the ones who solve the case are the locals with some non-law enforcement personnel recruited to handle certain duties (all overseen by a chief of police, however). No serious violence is written about directly, all found second-hand, though the crim
Sandy
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is the first I've read from this author although the 13th book in the series. If she's been at it that long she must be doing something right & has found her fan base. But as usual, it's a matter of taste & what you enjoy reading.
It starts of with a bang. Jane Ericsson is running for a seat in the senate & has come home to the north woods of Wisconsin for a brief respite from the campaign trail. At least here, she'll be among friends.
Or maybe not. She gets up to check on a nois
Rhonda
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
A Loon Lake Mystery #13

This is the second of the series I have now read and have liked both of them. I would like to read the others in the series sometime. The main characters are back plus some new ones to enjoy. The Mystery keeps you guessing almost all the way through the book. It is a clean read. Their is a lot of fishing in the story but not as much as the first one.

Sheriff Lewellyn is back. She is a strong woman character. Her hobbies are fly fishing. She loves to relax fishing especially
Willa
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013, reviewed
I received this book from NetGalley in return for a review; I was not paid for this review, nor required to post a positive review.

I have read all of Victoria Houston's "Loon Lake" mystery series, and was excited to read this latest installment. Retired dentist Doc Osborne and Loon Lake Police Chief Lew Ferris have settled into a comfortable, loving relationship. This summer, Loon Lake is experiencing torrential rains and flooding, and when a policeman sent out to direct traffic away from the wa
A Book Vacation
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
To see my full review:

This novel started out very slow for me, to the point that I was afraid that I wasn’t going to like it since, by 30% in, I still felt like nothing had happened except introductions of characters and fishing related talk. However, these introductions are extremely important, as I later found out, and once the murder itself took place (around 33% in), the pacing picked up and the story unfolded quite nicely.

I have to say that the charac
PacaLipstick Gramma
I really wanted to love this book. After all, I am a born and bred Wisconsinite, and truly love the beauty of our four seasons (even though the summers can be a tad HOT for me). I love reading books with a Wisconsin base, as I have traveled this great picturesque state, and am able to "picture" myself in the surroundings described.

The story was mediocre, and there was not a whole lot of mystery to the whodunit. I enjoy trying to figure out who the bad guy is, and like being thrown a curve ball o
Jeanie Jackson
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
I find the laid back attitude of this series quite enjoyable, but then I enjoy cozy mysteries as well as suspense and this book falls between those two genre. A senatorial candidate is murdered,butchered, and packaged. A friend of Ray and Doc is an obvious suspect but neither man can believe that she is capable of such a heinous crime. When a woman calls about her missing fiance, Lew and the men helping her wonder if it is a coincidence or if the two cases are related. Of course a missing person ...more
Brian
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of Dead Insider via a goodreads giveaway.

The first thing I thought when I opened the package was that it was a surprisingly small book. Short. But really, it was long enough.

This was my first time with a Victoria Houston book, and I worried about jumping into an existing series. That turned out not to matter in the least. As far as I could tell, this book did not assume any previous knowledge. I never felt confused or excluded due to it.

As for the story... It was a good li
Korie Cox
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of murder mystery
Shelves: first-reads
I won my copy of this book through the Goodreads First Reads Giveaway. This is the first book I’ve ever read by Victoria Houston, but I can promise you that it won’t be the last! I’m looking forward to reading the other books in the Loon Lake mystery series. The author has a way of making you feel like you’re right there in the room with the characters.
Dead Insider is a story surrounding the death of a prominent candidate for the U.S. Senate. We follow retired dentist Doc Osbourne, Chief of P
Nha Vo
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Received this book for free through Goodreads first read giveaway.

To me this book was one of those typical mystery books, nothing really stood out about it. I guess it was missing that surprise plot twist kind of stuff. The first chapter pulled you in because it went straight to the chick getting murder but don't let that fool you because the rest of the chapter up to halfway point is character development. Then the last half is when they actually discover the body. Everything about solving the
Marian H.
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Second one I've read by Victoria Houston, and I will continue reading the series. I like the setting, the characters and the style - I see they're calling it "cozy" when a book's language is not laced with swearing, and the love scenes are not graphic. No vulgarities except a grisly murder or two! I agree with other reviewers who have said it's all too obvious who the bad guy is. Victoria needs to throw us a curve ball now and then, or use other tricks like Agatha Christie did. Keep us guessing. ...more
Lois
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Set in a small town in northern Wisconsin, this is the latest book in the Loon Lake mystery series. Retired dentist and avid fisherman "Doc" Osborne again provides forensic assistance to Police Chief Lewellyn Ferris after a grisly discovery during a flood. Without burdening the continuing reader, there is adequate background to the recurring characters, which also include fishing guide and Doc's friend Ray Pradt. Nicely plotted, with a satisfying conclusion after the killer is revealed, this boo ...more
Barbara
Jun 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed "Dead Insider." If you want to read an easy-to-follow murder mystery, this might be the book for you. I enjoyed the characters and the setting. I had not read any of the books in this series, but "Dead Insider" has left me wanting to read the others. Although this is part of a series, and there were a few references to other cases, this book stands alone and can be enjoyed without reading the others first.
Brenda Kirton
Jun 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Allen 'gramps'
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindel
Picked this book up one day by chance on a Amazon sale. The book was well written and has no trouble holding your interest. It's pretty easy to follow the story line but at the same time it takes awhile to figure out who did it and then you still aren't sure till the very end.

This was good enough that I will read more books in the Loon Lake series.
Nancy Hansen
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is one of the books in the Loon Lake Mystery Series. I have read them all. The author, Victoria, lives in my town and I see her shopping at the grocery store! Her books are entertaining and quick reads. A dead body is found and the crime solved in a week or less. Great characters and an up north Wisconsin setting. I would suggest starting with the first book of the series.
Diana Surkamp
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've made it a point to read all of the "Dead ..." books in order. I've enjoyed each of them for not only the mystery, but also for the beautiful descriptions of fly fishing! I listened to a radio interview with Victoria Houston, and I was intrigued enough to pick up her first book and I haven't been disappointed. This latest is as good as all of the others!
Navem
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I won this through a Goodreads giveaway. Thank you so much for sending me a copy!

This is the first book I have read by Victoria Houston. I enjoyed this book. It's a fast read and offers a good intriguing story. The characters were real and likable. I see that this is not the first book centered around this town in Wisconsin. I definitely will pick up more of the Loon Lake Mysteries.
Karen Mckay
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Too much reading to get to the dead body although it was coming. For light reading, this was just too shallow? I'm hoping some of the other Loon Lake series have some depth and character development. Otherwise, there are just too many other light reading mysteries that are engaging.
  • Stonefly
  • Amos Walker: The Complete Story Collection
  • TEARSTONE
  • The People in the Rickety House
  • My Second Death
  • The Gray Ghost Murders (Sean Stranahan, #2)
  • Dead in the Water (Mattie Winston Mysteries #8)
  • Murder Bites the Bullet (Gertie Johnson, #4)
  • Blood Game (Jock Boucher #2)
  • Night Tide (Blake Sanders #2)
  • Husk
  • Death at Gills Rock (Dave Cubiak, #2)
  • Undead Winter
  • From a Dead Sleep (Sean Coleman Thriller #1)
  • H2O the Novel
  • 3 Gates of the Dead
  • Lace One-Skein Wonders: 101 Projects Celebrating the Possibilities of Lace
  • The Hole
She is the author of the Loon Lake Mystery Series -- DEAD ANGLER, DEAD CREEK, DEAD WATER, DEAD FRENZY, DEAD HOT MAMA, DEAD JITTERBUG, DEAD BOOGIE, DEAD MADONNA, DEAD HOT SHOT, DEAD RENEGADE. DEAD DECEIVER, DEAD TEASE and DEAD INSIDER, DEAD LIL’ HUSTLER, DEAD RAPUNZEL, DEAD LOUDMOUTH, DEAD SPIDER, DEAD FIREFLY the 18th in the series, will be published in JUNE 2018 in hardcover, trade paperback and ...more

A Loon Lake Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Dead Angler (A Loon Lake Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Creek (A Loon Lake Mystery #2)
  • Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Frenzy (A Loon Lake Mystery, #4)
  • Dead Hot Mama (A Loon Lake Mystery,#5)
  • Dead Jitterbug (A Loon Lake Mystery, #6)
  • Dead Boogie (A Loon Lake Mystery, #7)
  • Dead Madonna (A Loon Lake Mystery, #8)
  • Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Renegade (A Loon Lake Mystery, #10)