Start by marking “The Hero's Lot (The Staff and the Sword #2)” as Want to Read:
The Hero's Lot (The Staff and the Sword #2)

The Hero's Lot

(The Staff and the Sword #2)

Riveting Sequel from Christian Fantasy's Most Talented New Voice
When Sarin Valon, the corrupt secondus of the conclave, flees Erinon and the kingdom, Errol Stone believes his troubles have at last ended. But other forces bent on the destruction of the kingdom remain and conspire to accuse Errol and his friends of a conspiracy to usurp the throne.
In a bid to keep the thre
Published July 15th 2013 by Bethany House Publishers (first published July 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Hero's Lot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hero's Lot

Ariana Pedigo
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’ve said it once- to the author in fact- this book is simply scrumdiddlyumptious!
My previous experience with the first novel in the Staff and the Sword series, A Cast of Stones, left me breathless from excitement, not to mention praising Deas for Patrick W. Carr and his adventurous series. (Read my full review for "A Cast of Stones" Here):http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

The Hero's Lot, starts off just as mysterious as "A Cast of Stones", each chapter is filled with such exuberance, and
Terri Rochenski
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I’ve been dying for this book since I gobbled up the first, A Cast of Stones, back in January. You can find my 5 star review HERE.

In book one we were introduced to Errol Stone, a young village drunk, who as typically in fantasy stories goes on to be some one of great importance to the kingdom. I’m not a fan of giving plot points away in reviews, so I’ll just say that Mr. Carr wove the story in a fresh, new way that had me clicking away on my kindle until ‘The End’. Couldn’t get enough of his cha
Allison
The Hero's Lot is a case of the second book in the trilogy exceeding the first. From page one, the action is non-stop and the pacing is just right. The learning and growth of the characters are sprinkled in just enough to keep me invested where pure action wouldn't.

I don't know why there's a big focus on this being a Christian Fantasy. I actually think it would be appreciated by a wider audience, and I'm glad I stumbled on the first book through NetGalley.

It's not a very obvious or simple alle
Melanie
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Hero's Lot is the second installment in The Staff and The Sword trilogy by Patrick W. Carr. After being pleasantly surprised by the first book, A Cast of Stones, I was looking forward to starting this one and am glad to say it was also good.

I liked how we learned a lot more about Errol in this story and some of it was surprising. I liked the fighting scenes, as they were intense and grabbed your attention. There were a few sections that I didn't find as interesting (basically the ones that d
Pam Funke
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley for the purpose of review. The review is my honest opinion and I was not paid for this service.

The author gives us another great story with the continuation of Errol's journey in The Hero's Lot. The author continues to entertain the reader and draw them into the world of Errol. I was definitely not disappointed with this next book in Carr's The Staff and The Sword series. Carr is a wonderful storyteller with a creative imagination. Thi
Janelle
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Even better than book one. So glad I have a copy of the third book so I can continue with this story.
Kristin
This is book #2 in the Staff and the Sword series by Patrick Carr.

I really enjoyed A Cast of Stones and I had such high hopes for this book but I just wasn’t feeling it.

I hate saying that because the author is such a friendly and cool guy—participating on facebook and interacting with fans. I still admire that and I will still be picking up book three when it comes out!

I have to be honest though and say that I just didn’t connect with this book. I felt it hit a lull in parts and the story did
Jeff
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This series has come out of nowhere to be a big favorite of mine. It continues to be a fairly traditional fantasy story, with a few twists. As I've said before, being 'traditional' is not a negative for me. I love a good story done well, and that is exactly what Carr has done here. If you thought Errol was put through the ringer (i.e. met with a lot of bad circumstances) in book 1, just wait until you read this second book. His character continues to grow and evolve, despite the continued bad ci ...more
Athelas Hale
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I knew when I started this book last night that I wouldn't sleep. I stayed up way too late reading, and then started again as soon as I could in the morning; the highest praise I can give a book.
Lydia Redwine
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
My actual rating for this book is 4.5, but I've rounded it up to 5 because consistency. It makes my eyeballs feel good.

This rating means I have more issues with this second installment of The Staff and Sword trilogy, but it is also the second book in my favorite trilogy of all time so obviously I loved in for plenty of reasons!

Some issues though:

•I'm going to try not to scream but this book seriously 100000% needs a map. A MAP. There are soooo many places in this book and a map representing w
Janet Sketchley
The Staff & The Sword series needs to be read in order. And it's worth reading without seeing the spoilers for book 1 that will appear in the following review of book 2. If you haven't read book 1, A Cast of Stones, you can see my review here. If it appeals, pop over to your favourite internet bookstore and download the book for free in Kindle, Nook or Kobo format.

I have so many books in my to-read stash that I'd forgotten I had A Cast of Stones until a review caught my interest. It took gre
Lisa Johnson
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Title: The Hero’s Lot
Author: Patrick W. Carr
Pages: 448
Year: 2013
Publisher: Bethany House
A few months ago, I read and reviewed Patrick W. Carr’s debut novel, A Cast of Stones, and I wrote, “[I]f the sequels are as good as the first book, then Carr is on his way to an outstanding writing career.” Well, I just finished reading an advanced reading copy of Carr’s second book in the series, and I can honestly say that I have not changed my mind.
The Hero’s Lot picks up where A Cast of Stones ends. E
Christian Fiction Addiction
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Patrick W. Carr returns in fine form with the second book in "The Staff and The Sword" series. The pages are alive with action-packed scenes, stirring drama, and a splash of romance too! Carr has done a masterful job at continuing to develop the character of Errol, a character that inspires loyalty with his painful past and the manner in which he continues to grow and succeed over insurmountable odds. "The Hero's Lot" adds a lot to the series, providing many answers to what is going on in the Ki ...more
Aj Hult
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What can I say that hasn't already been said?
I loved, and I mean loved, this book.
Lately there have been too many sequels that have fallen flat in their storytelling because of the rush to create a trilogy. Trilogy's are wonderful things when there is a story to tell...especially when non stop action and character development fill those books.
Mr. Carr's second book, Hero's Lot, in no way fell short in this trilogy. In fact, it took this trilogy to a new level in both action, character developm
Jane
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
The Hero’s Lot is the second book in Patrick W. Carr’s The Staff & The Sword series. I enjoyed A Cast of Stones, the first book in the series. I found it engaging.

The Hero’s Lot was not as good. I struggled to finish it. It was much less interesting that the first. The characters were not very distinct, and new ones were introduced, and I had a hard time keeping them apart. (It doesn’t help that they sometimes have more than one name, like Rale/Elar Indomiel.) I also found the vocabulary of
rodger reece
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was whisked off my feet by this book!
R.M. Lutz
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-on-blog
An excellent sequel to A Cast of Stones. I would highly recommend it to anyone who has read the first book! (Read more at my blog, thebookhoundchristianspecfic.blogspot.com)
Brittney Tyler
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!!!!!!
Shelves: favorite-books
Star Rating: 4.5 stars

Note: This is the 2nd volume in the Staff and the Sword series so this will not be an in-depth review.

We, as Christians, are taught that the Lord fills any individual that chooses to follow his path with the Holy Ghost and uses them to further his teachings, but what if a society of people was to lose this knowledge? In Patrick W. Carr’s series The Staff and the Sword, this question and the many others that surface as a result are explored. These series is set in a world ca
Honeybee
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
This is one of my favorite books in recent memory! I read a Cast of Stone by the same author--thanks to a free eBook offered at Christian Book Distributors. I enjoyed that one so much, I added the rest of the series to my wish list on Amazon. When no one in my family took the hint and got the second book for me, I ordered it myself on sale. I am SOOOO glad, since this book is even better than the first!

The Hero's Lot picks up where A Cast of Stone left off. Errol Stone is recovering from injurie
Ruth
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Having helped unmask Sarin Valon as the corrupt, possessed reader working to undermine the Judica and destroy the kingdom, Errol Stone desperately hopes that at long last his troubles have ended. For in a so short a relative span of time as to leave his head spinning, Errol's life has been left irrevocably changed by the church's call on his life. Raised from the Callowford ale barrel to an earldom by the king, honored as a captain of the watch, and hailed far and wide as a hero, with the adorat ...more
M.H. Elrich
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book-but boy, it was intense! This is a darker book than the first in that the danger is more intense and the stakes are higher. We get to know certain characters better and understand more about the world Patrick W. Carr created. There is also a reappearance of certain fun characters and an introduction of awesome new characters. Overall, a great sequel.
I only have one complaint, and it's a SPOILER, so don't read beyond this point (SPOILER ALERT):
Okay, here we go. Part of the rea
Carol Brandon
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Errol is brought before the Judica on charges of consorting with herbwomen - who talk to spirits. The church doesn’t believe it’s Aurae, the Spirit of Deas. He’s also charged with casting to find out who the next king is, without approval. He hadn’t done this - the priest Martin, and the reader, Luis had. But in order to prevent that from happening, the Archbenefice allows Errol to be found guilty on the first charge. Till he finishes that penance, he can’t be charged with the second. However, h ...more
Rebecca
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've gotten totally sucked into this fantasy world. This book does a great job on building on what happened in the second book, setting up the third book, but having its own arc and purpose as well. I'm so glad I have the last book waiting for me so I can dive right in! I really enjoy the development of Errol's character as he moves forward but also has to deal with some pretty terrible circumstances and revelations. I also like the development of Adora and that we get to see more of who she is. ...more
Elizabeth Tharp
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Most of the high rating I gave a Warrior’s Lot has to do with the engaging action and plot, and nothing to do with the characters’ development. As with A Cast of Stones, Errol Stone doesn’t really undergo meaningful character development, nor do most of the other characters. However, Patrick A. Carr masterfully wove together several different plot threads and created a story that is highly entertaining and engaging, even if the characters remain static.
Verity Buchanan
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't stop reading. So many mysteries unraveled, so many more to explore and Errol is a fantastically written character. Still feel like Adora (the love interest, it's not even a spoiler to say it) has more potential than she's showing, but the series has borne out well enough so far that I trust it'll show up in the third book

Unfortunately, I was reading this at a friend's house and had to go home before I could read #3. I have never regretted anything so much in my life.
Briana
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book just as much as the first one. There are some characters that I don't enjoy, but that happens with just about every book. That does not, however, detract from the good pacing, action, plot, and writing I've enjoyed in this trilogy! I still highly recommend these books when I can.
Gina Hewitt
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An awesome read.

Carr captures the spiritual intricacies of good versus evil in the telling of the story of Errol Stone. His character development and interweaving of relationships make this book come to life. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Nanette Hensley
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book of the unlikely hero Errol still manages to surprise with plot twists and revelations. The pace is quick with a nice blend of suspenseful fight scenes, narrow escapes, and character introspection. Looking forward to the third book in the series!
Magda
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was surprised by the princess. She still seems almost as flat as Liam, but perhaps she's just not getting as much time for development as she should. Martin is more of a puzzle as well. Lots of action packed in compared to character development.
Gracewellworn
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would consider this book series to be PG, 2 PG-13. I love it and often marveled at Patrick carr's emotional intelligence as he was writing this book. The characters are rich and authentic. The story line carries a depth that I appreciated. I am already enjoying book number 3.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• King (Books of the Infinite, #3)
  • Dragonwitch (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #5)
  • Penumbras (Middle School Magic, #2)
  • From Darkness Won (Blood of Kings, #3)
  • If I Had My Way
  • Jinnie Wishmaker
  • The Shadow Within (Legends of the Guardian-King, #2)
  • BORN IN SIN (Dacian Legends)
  • Emissary (Legends of the Realm, #1)
  • A Wicked Kind of Dark (The Minaea Chronicles #1)
  • Return to Alastair (Tahn Dorn #2)
  • Oath of the Brotherhood (Song of Seare, #1)
  • The Restorer's Son (The Sword of Lyric #2)
  • Martyr's Fire (Merlin's Immortals, #3)
  • The Tale of Mally Biddle
  • Rising Sun, Falling Star
Patrick Carr was born on an Air Force base in West Germany at the height of the cold war. He has been told this was not his fault. As an Air Force brat, he experienced a change in locale every three years until his father retired to Tennessee. Patrick saw more of the world on his own through a varied and somewhat eclectic education and work history. He graduated from Georgia Tech in 1984 and has w ...more

The Staff and the Sword (3 books)
  • A Cast of Stones (The Staff and the Sword, #1)
  • A Draw of Kings (The Staff and the Sword #3)
“Her mouth set. "I've already lost one man I loved tonight. I will not lose the other." She glared at him. "And curse you, you stone head, for making me say it first.” 13 likes
“Short questions with long answers, my boy.” 8 likes