Start by marking “Called to Mate (Pack Mates #1)” as Want to Read:
Called to Mate (Pack Mates #1)

Called to Mate (Pack Mates #1)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  1,275 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
Declan’s chance to be the alpha of his pack has finally come, but in order to take over he needs to find a mate. Finding the gorgeous and fragile Quinn living in his parents’ home, his body heats for no other.

Quinn is a submissive male wolf who has spent most of his life abused by his former alpha. But being mated to his new pack’s alpha provides him with a level of safety
ebook, 1st edition, 70 pages
Published December 3rd 2012 by Liquid Silver Books

To ask other readers questions about Called to Mate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Called to Mate

Meags
3.5 Stars

After years spent living away from home, Declan returns to his pack in order to take over his father’s role as alpha. Declan has been waiting for this moment for years, but there is one thing he needs to do first before he can officially take over: he must find and claim a mate.

Having a mate provides an alpha with the balance and stability they need in order to run a successful and happy pack. Luckily for Declan, the decision is an easy one. On returning home, Declan finds that his par
Apr 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-shifters

Cravings pretty much rule my world. I had a Pringle craving that monopolized my taste buds for weeks once! My food cravings can be all consuming. Nothing tastes good until I get what I want. The same can be said for my book cravings.

I’m lusting after shifter tales like you wouldn’t believe right now! Which brings me to Lynn Tyler’s Called to Mate with Declan and Quinn.

Declan has been living away from home and his pack for years. Waiting for the call to return and take over as alpha. But to lead,
Chris, the Dalek King
Look...not once in the history of cliched love stories has it ever been beneficial, in the end, to keep a secret from the dude you love. Especially when that secret is that someone is actively trying to kill him. Ignorance is not safety.

Now that doesn't excuse Quinn from acting like a child and crawling out of the bathroom window...for reasons I never quite understand, but at least he didn't purposefully run off into danger. He ran off into danger, but because Declan insisted on treating Quinn l
Gigi
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm-shifters
This one just didn't do it for me. MC dominate wolf was highly inappropriate with MC submissive wolf far too early for my comfort level. Submissive's abuse history was already known too. It was kinda creepy.
Susan
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hurt-comfort, shifters, mm

Lots of hurt/comfort here. Just how I like it!

Declan comes home because it is time for him to take his father’s place as pack Alpha. He is not prepared to meet Quinn, a very scared and obviously abused young wolf.

These two were very sweet together. Declan was always patient and tender with Quinn. I loved how their relationship developed. Yes, the mating happens early on in the book, but for such a short novella, it didn’t feel too rushed for me.

The one thing I didn’t like was the last 2
Beck
This book had a lot of potential but I found it to shallow for true satisfaction. I loved the fact that insta-love (a common theme in shifter romances) wasn't employed & that the characters spent time together before declaring 'Twu Lurv'...to make this book great, (possible spoiler's ahead)I would have loved to read more about Quinn's time in his birth pack...why was Quinn's mother killed?...why was the alpha's behaviour so aberant?...why did Joseph leave the mobile phone for Quinn?...Then I ...more
Serena Yates
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay, shifters
This is a cute "strong werewolf finds formerly abused mate" story. Based on this first volume, the 'Pack Mates' series - set in Smooth Rock Falls - promises to be fun and entertaining with just the right level of suspense and action thrown in to keep it interesting. There weren’t any difficult new “paranormal rules” to learn, and I suspect that, like me, you will find much that is familiar about werewolves and their packs in this book. A “werewolf comfort read”, if you want, and that could be ju ...more
Candice
Nov 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Read on 12-18-13

I liked this, I really did. BUT, I had a few problems with it.

Declan is called home because his father is going to step down from his Alpha status to become an Elder. So, Declan is next in line for the Alpha role and has trained his whole life to be one. When he gets home he finds a young man on his parents couch sleeping. He can see the man is troubled even in his sleep, but he can't stop himself from covering him up. When the man wakes up his first words are "please don't hurt
DaisyGirl
3.5 Stars

Good start to an intriguing series. I loved Declan and I grew to love Quinn. The pack and pack politics were interesting as well. My one gripe: (view spoiler)

Bottom line: Good start to a promising series. Moving on to book 2!
Shannon
Dec 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Shannon by: Megan L Harnett
Cute story about a severely abused submissive wolf and the new alpha of the pack. This shifter book didn't have the "I know you're my mate by your smell and I must have you" thing it in and I found I missed that. I like it when they have their "true mate" and soppy stuff like that. Good start to a series that I'll probably continue.
Hc Lynn
I liked it! I thought the treating as a kind and considerate human being should be treated and caring for a less member was a good mix with how to treat and care for one's mate. Ok that sounds better in my head but hopefully the gist is coming through. Declan is able to connect with Quinn where others weren't and in doing so, strengthen both of them.
Ramona
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eine nette Geschichte für zwischendurch.
Schöner Plot, aber sehr rasant erzählt und etwas sexlastig für die Kürze.
Charly
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not any different than every other werewolf story in this genre

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 4/10

PROS:
- The hurt/comfort storyline never gets old for me. I love it when someone has been hurt and his new lover goes to great lengths to ensure that it doesn’t happen again.
- I liked that the other wolves in Declan’s pack take it completely in stride when Declan announces that his mate is male.

CONS:
- The love at first sight thing, particularly in were
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
For whatever reason I've been on a shifter kick lately. I've been laid up with a running injury and all the resting of my knee is driving me a bit stir crazy so I've been picking my kindle back up to read more MM smutty goodness. I've been doing loads more non fiction reading in my field so I have some criteria for my current reading; namely it should have pretty hot sex, it should be part of a series so I can mindlessly binge as needed, and I don't want a ton of angst or drama. I do like a litt ...more
Lorraine Lesar
May 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
I don't often give low rating stars, if I don't like a book, I just don't write a review, put it down to experience and move on. However, this booked raised some major issues for me and I have to vent my frustrations. I obviously liked the blurb of the book, I wouldn't have read it otherwise and it held great promise. However, when dealing with a very delicate subject of horrific abuse, the authors answer was simply - get the new alpha to give the brutalised submissive wolf a "hand job", take hi ...more
~SexyBookWorm~
This book was aiight...I had a couple problems with the basic plot. Quinn says that his cousin was one of his abusers but later the cousin says he never touched him and actually gave him the cell phone that he used to call for help. The whole " cousin as the villain" thing REALLY didn't work. And his whole capture was very anticlimactic.
Also in the end Declan decided to gift Quinn with a collar. ... why? ! so now they are both wearing adjustable collars. Why! ? Neither of them have exhibited an
Jess
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it

This book was both good and slightly boring.

I really enjoyed the authors style of writing and the characterisation. The cuteness of the characters and the shifter relations were awesome.

However the big let down was how the alpha kept things from his mate. OMG this is soooooo overdone in plots and it makes me feel like the alpha thought his mate was a 5 yr old. It was a huge let down to read such an overused plot device.

The bad guy was also a bit lame, the author could have done more wi
Shelley Chastagner
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reread
I enjoyed this one! Great characters with nicely done backgrounds. Decland is a pretty typical alpha. He's dominant and growly but he has a tender side that I loved seeing. Quinn has endured years of abuse and Decland is going to make sure that he heals; body, heart and mind. All the little things he does is to make sure that Quinn is happy and healthy. There is plenty of action, sweet moments and spicy encounters.
Adult read
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
Apr 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆ by: Megan L Harnett
Much better than I was expecting.
This was a pretty standard shifter world. No new spin on it. But that's okay, because guess what? Shifters are tried and true. New spins on the old classic are fun, but the reason shifter stories have been around and popular so long, is the basics of the genre. If it's not broken, it doesn't need to be fixed.

Sophia
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: pnr-uf
It was quick, hot and moderately engaging. Development was minimal though it was easy to get the idea. I felt dropped into the middle of a story that just took off from there. I did love the tender care of the alpha hero and the connectedness of the pack. Not bad, but I was left not really focused on the story or engaged with the romance. Good lazy afternoon reading.
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Fluffy I liked the start of this one but somewhere along the lines it became a bit too cliched and predictable for me. Not that I didn't like it but it lost the uniqueness that it started with. It's more fluff than anything and I still liked the world so I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Alexis Woods
Reread 4/9/17

Short read. Typical Alpha knows better than Omega storyline.
Omega has been hurt, Alpha heals him, they fall in love, but don't tell each other. Bad guy comes and is defeated, I love yous exchanged and they all lived Happily Ever After. Bam.
Marsha Spence
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-para
I really enjoyed this book. The development of the relationship was very well done and how the pack interacted was great. Excellent read!
Teresa
I liked that it was set in Canada. I hate when one partner makes decisions for another with out them knowing "for their protection"; it never ends well.
Caroline Brand
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Brooke
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! It's a little short but a very good read for those who love m-m romance!
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Pretty weak offering. The characters were limp and the story was dull.
Katherine
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast bonding flourishing into a solid relationship

This was an enjoyable shifter book, well paced and nicely shaping up, and only fell into one common pitfall.

Declan has been called home to become alpha of his pack, a job he was born to do. Taking over the pack peacefully as his father moves on to a new alpha post makes him very happy. The last thing he must do before becoming alpha is claim a mate to help settle him in the role of alpha. Upon his return home he is surprised to find his parents s
Joelle
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet and sexy

I needed a good shifter story. It had been too long. Of course, being hooked on shifters even a couple of days between shifter books is too long.

I always enjoy reading a new shifter author. I love getting to know their worlds and shifter lore. I really liked this book. I loved that Declan was coming home to become alpha and that he would have to mate. Finding his mate in his parents' house was perfect. I loved those first few scenes between Declan and Quinn. Declan was so sweet a
The Backlot Gay B...: Called to Mate by Lynn Tyler 2 12 May 05, 2013 02:23AM
  • On Thin Ice (Ariel Estates #1)
  • Finding Release (Wild R Farm, #1)
  • Levi (Leopard's Spots #1)
  • Run with the Moon (Men of Silo, #1)
  • By the Light of the Moon  (Assassin/Shifter, #3)
  • Soul Magic (Triad #3)
  • Everything That You Are
  • Determined Mate (Holland Brothers, #2)
  • End of the Line (Lady Blue Crew #1)
  • Lords of Aether Volume One
  • Magpie (Avian Shifters, #2)
  • The Pack or the Panther (Tales of the Harker Pack, #1)
  • Chasing Seth (True Mates #1)
  • Stone Heart
  • The Dark Collector
  • Caged
  • Ervin's Dilemma (Wayne County Wolves #1)

Pack Mates (7 books)
  • Micah's Refuge (Pack Mates #2)
  • The Wolf's Tiger (Pack Mates #3)
  • Michael's Heart (Pack Mates #4)
  • Pierce's Choice (Pack Mates, #5)
  • Daniel's Mate (Pack Mates #6)
  • Rescue (Pack Mates, #7)