Start by marking “Ruth's First Christmas Tree (Ruth Galloway, #4.5)” as Want to Read:
Ruth's First Christmas Tree  (Ruth Galloway, #4.5)

Ruth's First Christmas Tree (Ruth Galloway #4.5)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  2,017 Ratings  ·  166 Reviews
It is three days before Christmas and a bitter wind is blowing across Norfolk.

Until her daughter was born, forensic archaeologist Ruth Galloway didn’t do Christmas, but now that Kate is a year old, she wants it to be special.

She must get a tree, shop for food, clean the house, buy presents, including one for her new boyfriend—who she isn’t even sure is her boyfriend—and re
Published November 12th 2012 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Ruth's First Christmas Tree, please sign up.

Charlene As I type, this is free on amazon if you have a Kindle.

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I read this one yesterday because I was so tired and I just couldn't muster up energy enough to read any books. So a short story felt very nice. Btw, I got this one for free a couple of days ago and it's probably still free.

I have read every book that have been published in the Ruth Galloway series (quick check on GR, yes now I have with this little one) and I like the series. Ruth Galloway is an archaeologist and since I wanted to be one when I grew up am I always happy to stumble over one in a
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

RUTH’S FIRST CHRISTMAS TREE is a short story free download by British mystery author Elly Griffiths. Ruth doesn’t do Christmas but now her daughter Kate is one she decides to try and do the right thing. You wouldn’t think buying a Christmas tree, shopping for food and buying a few presents would be that difficult. At just 45 pages RUTH’S FIRST CHRISTMAS TREE gives a little peek into Ruth’s personal life when she isn’t out solving murders. If you haven’t caught up with the Ruth Galloway series ye
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruth’s First Christmas Tree is a short story free download in the Ruth Galloway series by British author, Elly Griffiths. While Ruth doesn’t believe in Christmas, her daughter, Kate is now a year old and she realises she will have to do something to mark the holiday in the way of gifts and decorations. She buys a Christmas Tree, her very first, but it ends up being not quite the one she wanted, and further mishaps occur. On December 23rd, she reluctantly attends her boss, Phil’s party, but makes ...more
First Sentence: “The Spirits are strong in this one,” says the man in the white robe and gumboots.

For a woman who didn’t do Christmas, forensic anthropologist Ruth Galloway is challenged by making her 1-year-old daughter’s first Christmas special. Nothing is quite going to plan, including learning from her druid friend, Cathbad, informing her that a Bronze Age wooden peg is missing.

Griffith’s Ruth Galloway is a delight, particularly for those of us who have been known to eschew the accepted sent
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a free, quick 25 page story about Ruth getting ready to celebrate her first Christmas. It was cute!
Dec 15, 2017 marked it as to-read
Firar idag at min TBR-lista passerade 3000 ;-)
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Jag är ju väldigt svag för Elly Griffiths serie om Ruth Galloway och när jag för tre år sedan såg att den här novellen gick att ladda ner gratis så var jag ju bara tvungen att göra det. Dessvärre blev den liggande på läsplattan, men julen kommer ju varje år och nu var det äntligen dags. Läs mer på min blogg.
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cute little holiday story. And free to boot!
This is a kindle short story that falls into the Ruth Galloway mystery series and for a short story, it really is quality writing. Most Kindle Shorts aren't that great, but Griffiths gives her readers good stuff here as she tells the story of Ruth and Kate's first Christmas tree (Ruth not being the holiday type person but now that she has her daughter, well, things change when kids come into the picture, right?). Michelle and Nelson make an appearance, as does Cathbad. It's worth the 20 minute r ...more
☼♄Jülie 
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any
Recommended to ☼♄Jülie  by: Goodreads Friends
This is a great little short story if you want something not too fluffy, but still Christmasy.
Not one of your run of the mill Christmas stories, this one incorporates some fascinating bits of legend and mythology about the Christmas Tree and its traditional meaning in ancient cultures.
Very enjoyable and enlightening.
I was a little disappointed when I got to the end as I wanted it to go on.
Donna Maguire
This was a nice and sweet addition to the Ruth Galloway series by Elly Griffiths - it was easy to read and it didn't take very long. To be honest I think I enjoyed it as I know Ruth, Nelson and the gang from reading the books in the series but it may not read as a complete book or make that much sense if it read outside of that as it doesn't touch too much on their backgrounds and how everyone knows each other - 4 stars from me and best read is you already know the series.
Susan Johnson
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ruth Galloway is wonderful even in small doses.
Lindsay Boitnott
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Professional archaeologist Ruth is determined to give her daughter, Kate, a proper Christmas and the first item on her to-do list is to purchase a Christmas tree. It is the first time for Ruth to celebrate Christmas as an adult and she is struggling to wrap her analytical mind around such a faith based holiday. Her day involves a Christmas party, a blizzard, a missing wooden artifact, and a unique tree. All help Ruth realize that the perfect Christmas tree is definitely worth the work.

I was exci
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
Sweet story that, in a short time, manages to skillfully weave together several plotlines, wrap up a minor mystery, and advance the relationships between the characters that develop from novel to novel in this excellent series. There is also quite a bit of subtle humor. Well done and enjoyable.
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
A free eBook on Kindle brought out to promote Dying Fall. A clear winner for fans but doesn't really tell a story just buffs out her wonderful characters.
Elly Griffiths covers a lot of ground bringing the reader into Ruth's world but there is no real mystery or threat other than Norfolk's winter roads. it was good to be in these pages albeit briefly and reading filler rather than substance. It consolidates wonderfully what we know without really moving the story forward.
I like the way Elly is so
Anna Elliott
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is number four and a half in the Ruth Galloway series of books. I am really enjoying this series and very recently read The House at Sea's End and A Room Full of Bones. I also reviewed The Janus Stone just a few months back, all of which I have really enjoyed.

To read my full review of this book please visit my blog at: http://leftontheshelfbookblog.blogspo...
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
A delightful story. I didn't know that some authors are writing short stories about their characters between novels. A fantastic idea and this one was free! Thank you to Elly Griffiths! If you are a fan of the series, read this wonderful holiday tale and keep these friends close by - even if they are fictional friends.
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
This was a very enjoyable short story by Elly Griffiths which is from the Ruth Galloway Mystery series. It tells about Ruth Galloway's first Christmas Tree as a single mom with her 1 year daughter, Kate. A perfect read for this holiday season.
Louise Marley
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, christmas
Ruth's First Christmas Tree is a short story from Elly Griffiths's Ruth Galloway series, and fits in neatly between A Room Full of Bones and Dying Fall. At the time of writing, it's available as a free ebook; the last third of the book is an extract from Dying Fall.

Ruth has decided this year she will have the 'perfect' Christmas. Her daughter is now old enough to appreciate Santa Claus - and presents! It's three days until Christmas and all Ruth needs now is the perfect tree.

This series often re
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hardcore Ruth Galloway fans.
Shelves: contemporary
This is a quick freebie with Ruth, Kate, Cathbad and Nelson. Nothing much happens, but it's sweet to check in with the gang nonetheless. I did have a few eyebrow raising moments at the amount of archaeological 'asides' the author managed to cram in to what amounted to two days in the life of a Norfolk-dwelling unmarried mother/osteoarchaeology specialist/murder magnet Ruth. It read a tiny bit like a 'did you 10 archaeological facts that will blow your mind and stun your friends...(tm) ...more
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A delightful small book to read on a snowy day..and it was free.. and about dear Ruth Galloway.
The author brought all the principals into this one for a holiday read. ( Good idea since I was trying to remember who Max was while reading a subsequent book)

Actually it seems to have been Kate's first tree but of course in Ruth's house. I very much loved Nelson and Cathbad decorating the upside down tree..Yggdrasil .
Start this series!! Loving it.
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ruth Galloway never cared for Christmas but now she has Kate who is almost one year old. She thinks that she must be the perfect mother and do all the trimming and baking and wrapping. but she has no tree, no wrapping paper and she doesn't bake. She finds a perfect tree (thanks to her druid friends) but as soon as she puts it up, Kate knocks it down. Give up! This is a nice short little story that tells us not to worry about trimmings, friends mean the spirit of the holiday exists.
Katharine Ott
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family-saga
"Ruth's First Christmas Tree" - written by Elly Griffiths and published in 2012 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. This free (Kindle download from Amazon) very brief story is a casual visit with forensic archaeologist Ruth Galloway, her daughter Kate and good friend self-styled druid Cathbad along with brief mentions of other characters from the series. It highlights "ancient magic and the love of friends," and while there was no real action, it was a nice salute to the Christmas spirit.
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Got this as an Amazon Free ebook, short addition for fans.
Nice idea, a little romance, and private live with a crime thrown in, but while it is clear whodunit in the end, the motive remains unknown.
Recommended if you have read all other books (which I did not, so far, also I read this out of order, will read the 2nd book in the series now). Not advised to read as a standalone.
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
En trevlig kort novell med jultema. Enda berättelsen jag läst av författaren, om jag förstått det rätt finns det fler med samma persongalleri. Mysig och julig utan att vara allt för påträngande. Extra plus för fina beskrivningar av vinterväder.
judy dever
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it

I love all the Ruth Galloway books and wish the series wouldn't 't end!!
She is such a great character, so real and "normal", with all the everyday worries and problems, but also funny😉
Emma Soth
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story!

Elly Griffiths creates such wonderful characters. I enjoyed the deep feelings of friendship between them. Nothing like feeling a part of the family while reading. You just want to read more.
Beverley hopper
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely short read

Beautiful for to curl up beside the Christmas tree and read. Ruth and daughter kate had a lovely start to Christmas together
Kristi Lamont
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Sweet little holiday read. Enjoy it close to Christmas if you can (I read today, pre-Thanksgiving, because of a combo of timing and availability).
Elaine Griffith
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Not sure why this was called a book, only 26 pages. However it did give you a short snapshot of Ruth's life after her baby is born.
always good reading entertainment.
  • The Clue is in the Pudding (Pennyfoot Hotel #20)
  • Silent Nights: Christmas Mysteries
  • Deck the Halls with Murder (Josie Pigeon, #3)
  • A Spider on the Stairs (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries, #4)
  • The Sleeping Salesman Enquiry (Ivy Beasley Mystery #4)
  • A Killer's Christmas in Wales (Penny Brannigan Mystery #3)
  • The Souls of the Ships
  • From Bad to Wurst (Passport to Peril #10)
  • No Known Grave (Detective Inspector Tom Tyler, #3)
  • The Big Book of Christmas Mysteries
  • The Kissing Season
  • Relics (Faye Longchamp, #2)
  • The Merchant's House (Wesley Peterson, #1)
  • Treacherous Toys (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #5)
  • Drowning in Christmas
Elly Griffiths' Ruth Galloway novels take for their inspiration Elly's husband, who gave up a city job to train as an archaeologist, and her aunt who lives on the Norfolk coast and who filled her niece's head with the myths and legends of that area. Elly has two children and lives near Brighton. Though not her first novel, The Crossing Places is her first crime novel.

More about Elly Griffiths...

Ruth Galloway (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Crossing Places (Ruth Galloway, #1)
  • The Janus Stone (Ruth Galloway, #2)
  • The House at Sea's End (Ruth Galloway, #3)
  • A Room Full of Bones (Ruth Galloway, #4)
  • A Dying Fall (Ruth Galloway, #5)
  • The Outcast Dead (Ruth Galloway, #6)
  • The Ghost Fields (Ruth Galloway, #7)
  • The Woman in Blue (Ruth Galloway, #8)
  • The Chalk Pit (Ruth Galloway, #9)
  • The Dark Angel (Ruth Galloway, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Secrets of Southern Girls: A Novel
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Dorchester Terrace (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #27)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Flower Net (Red Princess, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Grave Tender
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
  • Before I Go to Sleep
    $8.24 $2.99
  • When You Reach Me
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Things
    $4.49 $1.99
“Sometimes,’ says Bob, trying to eat a falafel and balance his glass at the same time.” 0 likes