Start by marking “Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #1)” as Want to Read:
Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #1)

Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise

(Avatar: The Last Airbender - Library Edition #1)

The Avatar's adventures continue right where the TV series left off, in this beautiful, oversized hardcover of The Promise, from Airbender creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko! Aang and friends must join together once again as the four nations' tenuous peace is threatened in an impasse between Fire Lord Zuko and Earth King Kuei! As the world heads toward an ...more
Hardcover, Library Edition, 240 pages
Published February 19th 2013 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Avatar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Avatar

Start your review of Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #1)
April (Aprilius Maximus)
3.) The Rift ★★★★
4.) Smoke and Shadow ★★★★.5
5.) North and South ★★★★.5

-----------------------------------------------

This is so great - it really tackles a lot of things that we can really relate to in our world too. It mainly deals with colonialism and the aftermath of a city that is not fire nation and not earth kingdom, but both, and what this means for the future of this world. I also really liked how they included something similar to the
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
MY BABIES 😍😍😍😍

This was exactly as precious and adorable and nostalgic as I expected it to be, and I'm just sad that I didn't read it a long time ago. As someone who has been a diehard A:TLA fan since literally the world premiere of s01e01, I was a little bit apprehensive about finally picking this up, but it holds up the values and humor of the show SO WELL and it was just so delightful to see my little bendy babies growing up a little. Plus, Zuko was his usual conflicted cinnamon roll self 😍

If
✨    jamieson   ✨
Aaaaaahh I love my babies so much I MISS THE GAANG EVERYDAY

Avatar is ?? the highest quality tv show of All Time and thats the tea

Anyway this was super fun and I just loved getting back in the world even if it's only in a small way. I definitely think this tackles an important and massive problem within the Avatar verse to the concept and theming were great. I also think the character voices were so well written it felt very in character and I could hear the characters voices

Aang is my son I'd p
Connor
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
My Video Review:

I definitely think this is the edition that people should read these comics out of with all of the extra behind the scenes notes. I already wrote out my notes to do a video on this, so it'll be posted here when it's done. I love Avatar though, so expect some mild gushing.
Delores
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was well written and the illustrations were spectacular. I loved the Avatar and all the characters. I liked the message of peace and I can't wait to read more!
Himanshu Karmacharya
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of the TV series. When it ended, I was left with a gaping hole in my heart because I had to bid farewell to the Avatar universe, the diverse characters which had captivated me so and to the wise words of General Iroh. I was so glad when I found out that there were graphic novels of the series. The Promise picks up right after the end of the TV series finale.

The book serves as an extended epilogue, following the events that occurred after the war. Zuko faces his first great task
Thomas
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Maddie
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this! If you’re a fan of the tv series then there’s a good chance that you’ll love this too. It was really fun to read, but also tackled some bigger issues (much like the tv show does).

I read the Hardcover/library edition which included commentary along some of the pages and I really loved the inclusion of these comments. They explained why certain layouts/colour schemes were chosen, how they decided on dialogue/names, and where they referenced A:TLA or TLoK. There were also sket
♠ TABI ♠
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was such a refreshing dive back into the world I love. And while I wish this would have been an animated follow-up to the trilogy, I could still hear the character's voices and see their expressions in my head almost as well as if it was animated . . . so really didn't lose with this one. EXCEPT IT ISN'T A COMPLETE STORY and now I gotta scramble to get my hands on the rest of this follow-up tale.
MJ
Although I, overall, enjoyed this very much, I also found myself very disappointed in it. The “voices” of the characters, I felt, were very spot on. I really felt that they stayed true to them. There were only two things about this comic that really disappointed me: the direction the storyline immediately went, and the romance. The romance I could have done without and the plot was predictable and upsetting.

First off, the romance. It was very annoying to read “sweetie” over and over again, espec
Sabe Jones
Mar 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
The Promise is the first in what appears to be an ongoing series of graphic novels continuing the adventures of the characters from the Avatar: The Last Airbender animated series. It's a worthy continuation of the story, though some of the characterization lacks the vibrancy of the original series.

The story of The Promise centers on the "Harmony Restoration Movement," an effort to remove the Fire Nations' colonies from the territory of the other Nations after the end of the Fire Nation's war of
Chloe
I LOVED THIS SO MUCH!! ❤️️

I finished watching ATLA on Sunday, and I'm SO glad I had the comics to dive straight into because I needed (and still need) more.

This was PERFECT! It feels exactly like the show (the vibe, the humour, the characters, everything).

All ATLA fans must read this!!

So flippin' excited to get to The Search
CF Dracarys
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm so happy these graphic novels exist. They perfectly continue the story of the show and capture each character flawlessly. I forget I'm reading a graphic novel and feel like I'm still watching the show. Plus, Azula comes back too and she's one of my favorite villains ever!!
Mairéad (is roaming the Undying Lands)
{July 31st, 2015} MINI RTC?

5 stars.

I loved how the creators continued the ALTA story even after the show ended, and finally I got my hands on them. I made sure to grab the omibus version so I wouldn't be struggling to find all three. Plus, it's a nice hardcover and gorgeous designs!

In The Promise we discover various aspects, especially remnants of the aftermath of the Hundred Year War and how the people of the ALTA are trying to rebuild, forge new bonds and relationships and exactly how certain
Lubna
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This was so good and so much fun to read.. I love these characters so much and i missed them alot. I'm so glad i have found this!
milou  ☕️
I've read all of the Avatar the Last Airbender comics years ago when they first got released and a few more times throughout the years whenever I missed the Avatar Universe. But I never read the complete library editions which I now own of all of these comic series so I'm on a reread spree where I once again find myself in this world which is one I never want to leave.

Avatar the Last Airbender will always be my favorite tv show and reading this comic again was just as wholesome as it was the fir
Taschima
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
description

As many of you may know Joss Whedon decided to continue Buffy in comic book form after their last season on TV. I read more than a couple of comic books and yet I never felt satisfied. Things were happening in the comic book that would have never happened on TV, and not because it was scandalous but because the backlash from the fans would have been instantaneous. It just didn't work out for me, so this is why I approached the Avatar comics with trepidation. I am eternally grateful to all the co
Jerry
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
DISCLAIMER: Though I have watched the entire first season of the show this book is based on, I have not seen the complete series, and, yes, I do plan on doing so someday.

(view spoiler)

I enjoyed this comic book version of the beloved Nickelodeon anime; it makes me wish I'd already seen the entire show. (It's been sitting on my DVD shelf for quite a while; why haven't I finished it? Even I don't know the answer to that.)
Juho Pohjalainen
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This one never struck the right chord. The characters acted exaggeratedly and out of line based on how they would have acted in the show itself, and almost the entire conflict would have ceased to be if they'd just calmed down and talked about it. Also, Katara is reduced to a fawning and largely useless girlfriend.
Spider the Doof Warrior
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This made me want to re-watch Avatar THE LAST AIRBENDER because it's just so dang good.
Davina Herondale
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Julia
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, english
5⭐ more like 50000⭐.
I love this so much!💕
I watched the series again and I forgot about the cliffhanger!
So, I wanted to find out what happens after the series finale.
The comic looks like the show and that's why it is so special. And I was excited to see more of Gaang and Zuko interactions.
I just love the comic sequel.💕
Siobhán
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you liked the series you will love this comic. How can peace be restored? Can old grudges be overcome? Can Zuko be a good firelord? And what about Aang Fanclubs? I liked it, very funny in some parts.
Beth
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh, I loved this! So much nostalgia! I felt like I was watching an episode! The writers comments were cool too.
Adam Whitehead
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Hundred Year War is over. The Avatar Aang has defeated the Fire Lord and restored balance to the world. Fire Lord Zuko and Earth King Kuei have formed the Harmony Restoration Movement, a treaty of peace between their nations which calls for the removal of the Fire Nation colonies settled on Earth Kingdom soil. The newer colonists leave peacefully enough, but in the city of Yu Dao, which was founded over a century ago, there is huge resistance from the population (consisting of earthbenders, ...more
Dea
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Toph and Sokka are my favourite characters. They are so funny.
It seems like I first watched the show eons ago. I'm getting old. Nostalgia..please leave me
Momentai
And... it's still better than Legend of Korra!

Okay, I'm sorry, but I just wanted to bust a Korra joke so badly. But this book tackled something that I thought was pretty straightforward and expanded into something that would usually end up as wasted potential. Alongside the annotations on many of the pages, I ended up falling in love with Avatar all over again. As if the TV special on the very first Avatar didn't rekindle that spark enough, here comes this comic to take up even more of my time.
Dakota★Magic in Every Book
I'll never not be obsessed with the world of Avatar and Korra ❤
Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)
I usually don't read graphic novels/comics from movies or TV series I love but I missed Avatar so much that I gave this one a try. And oh my god I'm so glad I did! This was fantastic! It really felt like watching an episode! The writing was great and the voices of the characters were on point. You could definitely tell that Michael and Bryan were very much involved in the writing process.

I loved the story itself: Like always in Avatar we have the multi-dimensional, flawed yet lovable characters
Georgia Lynch
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is really what I needed! I love the Avatar series more than life itself and it was so good to get back into this world again. But for fucks sake i need to rant here.
So we all know that Zutara isn't a thing. Even though Bryke played with us for years and years with small teasers and sacrifices and jumps in front of lightening bolts, it never happened. But they still existed in my mind and that was what mattered.
Also, Team Avatar ended on good terms in the last episode. They were all hanging

• Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Lost Adventures
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars Library Edition
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire Library Edition
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - Imbalance (Avatar: The Last Airbender, Library Edition, #6)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part One (Imbalance, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part Three (Imbalance, #3)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part Two (Imbalance, #2)
  • The Last Airbender: Prequel - Zuko's Story
  • The Rise of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #1)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire, Part Two (Ruins of the Empire, #2)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire, Part One (Ruins of the Empire, #1)
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, Part Three (The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, #3)
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, Part Two (The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars #2)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire Part Three
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, Part One (The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars #1)
  • Avatar Volume 1: The Last Airbender (Avatar #1)
  • Avatar The Last Airbender: The Art of the Animated Series
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Legacy
Gene Yang began drawing comic books in the fifth grade. In 1997, he received the Xeric Grant, a prestigious comics industry grant, for Gordon Yamamoto and the King of the Geeks, his first comics work as an adult. He has since written and drawn a number of titles, including Duncan's Kingdom (with art by Derek Kirk Kim) and The Rosary Comic Book. American Born Chinese received National Book Award.

He

Avatar: The Last Airbender - Library Edition (6 books)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Rift (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #3)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow (Avatar: The Last Airbender, Library Edition, #4)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: North and South (Avatar: The Last Airbender, Library Edition, #5)