Start by marking “Knitting for Peace: Make the World a Better Place One Stitch at a Time” as Want to Read:
Knitting for Peace: Make the World a Better Place One Stitch at a Time

Knitting for Peace: Make the World a Better Place One Stitch at a Time

All across the world, people are knitting for peace. They call the work they do charity knitting. This work tells the stories of 28 knitting-for-peace endeavours, with smaller, more anecdotal stories shared in corresponding sidebars. It also offers practicial, hands-on information, including 15 patterns for easy-to-knit charity projects.
Published October 1st 2006 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Knitting for Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitting for Peace

Arielle Walker
Apr 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: craft, non-fiction
Some really good things in here but I simply cannot get excited about anything supporting war, and despite the title I felt that there was a little too much American patriotism going on for me to fully enjoy reading. Still, some fantastic ideas and causes.
Knitology
Sep 07, 2007 added it
Shelves: non-fiction
Knitting for Peace is an exceptional book that celebrates the long heritage of knitting for others. It tells the stories of 28 contemporary knitting-for-peace endeavors, and features patterns for easy-to-knit charity projects such as hats, socks, blankets, and bears, plus a messenger bag emblazoned with the Knitting for Peace logo. Enlivened by anecdotal sidebars and quotations from both knitters and peacemakers, this inspiring book also includes everything readers need to know to start their ow ...more
atla
Jan 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Any crafter with a big heart
I've looked through this book quite a few times at bookstores, but never wanted to shell out the cash for it. So when I found it at the library, I finally picked it up and read it. It's a good read for someone who wants to knit or crochet (though it only has patterns for knitting) for a charitable cause, but isn't sure which organization best suits their abilities and desires. I found two groups that really tugged at me. The Mother Bear Project, which is "is dedicated to providing comfort and ho ...more
Becky Klein
Nov 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who knits
What an inspiring book. After reading it I wanted to contact every knitter I knew to start a charity project. The book gives you the background of the various knitting charities in the US, including stories of people who have benefited from the work. There are lots of projects too and all of them are simple, meaning a new knitter could take them on.
Shelba
Oct 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Compiled by a social worker, the patterns are from various charity organizations and have been well tested. You can add intarsia if you want a picture, or find a yarn of similar guage that is incredible to liven up something that is plain. The bottome line: These patterns work. You will also be inspired by the many different groups doing good for others.
Theresa
Nov 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: crochet-knitting
I like the patterns in this book, it's what got me started on Mother Bear knitting/crocheting. The stories are fascinating as well. My one problem with the book is that some of the choices in the book design do not make sense. Page backgrounds of pastel colors with white lettering make it hard to read in anything but the best light. Other than that, I like this book.
pathic
Jul 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Beginning knitters
Shelves: knitting
This book has a lot of good basic knitting patterns: baby blankets, hats, teddy bears, etc. I enjoyed the stories behind some of the charities I've read about in various knitting magazines. If you find yourself wanting to knit, but needing a recipient, this book fits the bill.
Becky
Dec 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
Reading this book gave me the idea to knit something for everyone on my holiday list and donate it in their name to an appropriate charity. Just reading it makes you feel good about yourself.
Linda Caldwell
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Made me want to k1 p1 for the world.....
Jeanne
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very interesting. Lots of ideas for where to donated knitted items. Also includes a history of knitting for the troops dating back to the Revolutionary War and still on going. If you love to knit, and you and your family have enough scarves and afghans, consider knitting for peace. Donations can be made for troops, nurseries, cancer wards, nursing homes and the homeless.
Ruth Feathers
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The need never goes away

Although this book is a little dated by some of the topics it discusses, the needs haven't changed. There are still eats and poverty, and illnesses, and we will knit on.
Donna Hutt Stapfer Bell
Like to knit? Want a reason to knit more?

What to make, for who and where - including clear instructions and photographs of the finished projects. Not hard, not intimidating.
Shari Blakey
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Inspirational and provides a variety of charities to donate whatever you want to knit.
Nat
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts, non-fiction
A very inspiring read. I have always been interested in "crafting for a cause" and this book is full of ideas and resources for finding ways to help others through knitting.
Rhiannon M Bacon
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: knitters, charity workers
This book serves the double purpose of action and information. If you are looking to do some knitting work for a charity this book will give you a variety of options to choose which suits your need. This book supplies you with patterns and instructions for knitted donations as well as hooking you up with a website and contact information. It's also just a great read if you are looking for an uplifting look at how people are helping others through knitting, now and in the past.

There is always th
Dana
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is truly inspiring and very touching. The author tells the history of wartime knitting and showcases 28 charitable knitting organizations. Some groups donate knitted items to others, like blankets, and hats for babies in hospitals, hats and blankets for poor people who live in cold areas, stuffed animals for children, and shawls and blankets to go to people in old folks homes, homeless shelters and other places. Other groups are those that make and sell their knitted items bringing muc ...more
Chelsey
I’ve been wanting this book all summer, but only got around to ordering it right before I went to Europe, and it was waiting for me when I got home.

I read it quickly and found it very inspiring; there were a lot of charities listed that I would love to knit for. My few complaints are that I would have liked to see more basic patterns, for novice knitters, since I will be working on converting others to our knitting club. Also, some of the stories felt a bit repetative, which probably just goes
Kathleen
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
this book was heartbreaking, hopeful, and inspiring. the patterns are basic, so the items in this book probably aren't things i could get excited about wearing or making for my own use. however, what they lack in aesthetic quality, they more than make up for in usefulness and love. my new goal is to make at least one of each thing in this book to send to the charities that need them. i would also love to start a group for people interested in helping in this way. this book was truly inspiring.
Courtney
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a really good book - I love all the stories about the different charities and groups that use knitting to help people. The historical info wasn't entirely new, but they presented it in a really interesting way, and gave a lot of good information without making it too dry or fact-based. There are a lot of different projects scattered through, as well. Needs to be updated a bit - some of the groups webpages have changed, and one shop they mention has shut down. The majority are still going ...more
Marissa  Pineda
Apr 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is a showcase for charities to knit for. There are descriptions of each charity along with anecdotes from people who have either knitted or received the handmade items. Also included are patterns (with color photos and diagrams) for various items appropriate to each charity. If you're looking for a charitable project that allows for personal creativity, this is the book for you. Most of the patterns are geared for the beginning knitter, so it's a win-win---you can practice your craft a ...more
Cindy
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I cried a little. It's a nice overview of different charities you can knit for (especially if you live in the midwest, there are familiar places mentioned), but it's not a book that you MUST HAVE. I was happy to get it from the library. It definitely could have benefited from more pictures, particularly of the pieces where there are patterns and each charity being highlighted could have used a visual. Interesting, fast read.
Ryan
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was not what I was expecting it to be (I freely admit I rarely read book jackets or blurbs)but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was expecting just another knitting pattern book but was greatly surprised by the history of knitting and the different organizations new and old who knit for the good of others. Most of the things in this book I never knew about and was enthused to look up more information about the many organizations and projects. Good Job.
Vicki
Oct 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
This book made me cry, and that's probably the only time I've ever said that about a craft book. Such an elegant little book full of stories about how knitting and sending things off to people around the world can make life better for everybody. Lots of great personal stories interspersed throughout (that's why got me crying), and some good patterns to knit for particular organizations. A really wonderful idea, and a great book.
Claudia
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
It is so difficult to find an adaptable mitten pattern that can transfer between adult and toddler. This book had one, so I checked it out of the library. Not only does it have that mitten pattern, it has other projects that the author recommends for charity knitting, as well as contact information for various charities that accept finished hand knit projects. I liked this book so much I bought it!
Dayna
Mar 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
I love the concept of this book, the anecdotes, and the information on different organizations you can knit for. But none of the projects really jumped out at me. I know, I know ... it's not like knitting sensible things that people need is going to be really flashy. But flashy isn't even what I am looking for. It should still be fun. I found most of the projects to be awkward. Maybe once I have more experience I can come back to this and try one of the projects ... like the swirl hat.
VJ
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Items to knit for various charities. From cancer patients, to premies, to homeless animals, foster children, people victimized by disasters of every stripe, there is a project to make and a list of organizations with which to get involved.

I've finished reading the introductory information and plan to make several of the project items, especially the snuggle for animal shelter inhabitants.

Inspirational read.
Monica
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts
Thanks Nicole for this recommendation. I enjoyed reading the historical aspects of knitting for a cause and finding out about all the various organizations that currently exist. I may just give knitting another try. Maybe knitting for someone else will make it more enjoyable for me, give my knitting some meaning. It's what initially got me into quilting.
Nutkin
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I ended up not being in the mood to really read this, but it was full of interesting facts and information about different ways in which knitting can be done for peace. This isn't just about peace during war times, but peace within our communities. A great resource!
 Barb Bailey
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really like the concepts in this book. It includes several good patterns and information about organizations devoted to knitting for others. I'm milling around in my mind just how I would like to become a participant in one of these knitting organizations.
Carolyn
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a good resource for small project ideas. It also provides a vetted list of organizations that matches people and animals that benefit from your knitting. If you are a compulsive knitter like me, it is worth a look.
  • 101 Designer One-Skein Wonders
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines: Patterns, Stories, Pictures, True Confessions, Tricky Bits, Whole New Worlds, and Familiar Ones, Too
  • Knitting for Good!: A Guide to Creating Personal, Social, and Political Change Stitch by Stitch
  • Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points  Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • Weekend Knitting: 50 Unique Projects and Ideas
  • Getting Started Knitting Socks
  • Lace Style
  • Knitting Nature: 39 Designs Inspired by Patterns in Nature
  • Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes
  • Knit 2 Together: Patterns and Stories for Serious Knitting Fun
  • The Knitter's Book of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using, and Enjoying Yarn
  • Last-Minute Knitted Gifts