Start by marking “Sound Doctrine: How a Church Grows in the Love and Holiness of God” as Want to Read:
Sound Doctrine: How a Church Grows in the Love and Holiness of God

Sound Doctrine: How a Church Grows in the Love and Holiness of God

(9Marks: Building Healthy Churches)

Sound doctrine is the life-blood of God's people, providing the foundation for the church's unity and witness. From shaping the corporate life of the church to directing individuals in the practical issues of life, right thinking about God, humanity, sin, and salvation is indispensable for real growth. This short, readable book speaks to the importance of good theology for ...more
Published April 30th 2013 by Crossway Books (first published April 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Sound Doctrine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sound Doctrine

Calvinist Batman
This book was ok for me. Everything he says is true but something was off. The best I can figure is that if the peeps at P&P read this, they would have no issue with anything it said. When it comes to sound doctrine IN PRACTICE, that’s troubling.

I also didn’t like how it was written seemingly solely for pastors. The other 9Marks books I’ve read seemed geared to both leadership and laypeople but not this one, not that laypeople can’t get anything out of this book.

Again, the book doctrinally i
Benjamin Eapen
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book gives you an introduction to why Sound Doctrine is important in a believers life as well as in the church's life .This book has convinced me that Sound doctrine is essential for living godly lives and also in the life of the church.We often neglect it because we think that its not needed and Its for people who are in leadership. I like how the author explains the entire book in one sentence in its concluding chapter "Sound doctrine is the lifeblood of the church. It shapes and guides t ...more
Leandro Guimarães
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Solid & good, if concise and colloquial.
Sam - Reading Reformed
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This review originally appeared at Reading Reformed.

Sound doctrine is essential for living Godly lives and building healthy churches. This isn’t everyone’s view of sound doctrine, but it is what Bobby Jamieson seeks to convince his readers of in the book Sound Doctrine: How a Church Grows in the Love and Holiness of God. This book is part of the 9Marks series Building Healthy Churches.

Summary:
Jamieson does a good job of fulfilling his stated goal of showing how sound doctrine is important for li
Barbara
I highly recommend this book written by my son-in-law. That's not why I recommend it, however. Bobby's gift for teaching is evident in the way he condenses theological concepts to their basic, "shoe-leather" form for any layperson to understand clearly and immediately.

You may love it or hate it, agree or disagree, but this book is New Testament Bible Theology, plain and simple, direct and pure.
Matt Kottman
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love this IV Marks series. This book addresses a much overlooked aspect of church life: sound doctrine. I have often heard people say “I just want to love Jesus not get into doctrine.” But the fact of the matter is, if we are going to love Jesus with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength, then doctrine really matters. It informs our faith and fuels our love. Jamieson has written a good introduction here as to why doctrine matters for a healthy Christian and a healthy church. If you are wonde ...more
Michael Abraham
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
The premise of Sound Doctrine by Bobby Jamieson is to convince the reader that sound doctrine is essential for living godly lives and building healthy churches. The first of two main ideas argues that sound doctrine is for life–it’s practical and essential for living. The second continues on the same line of though, sound doctrine is for the life of the church. The rest of the book examines how sound doctrine nourishes the local church in holiness, love, unity, worship and witness.
Doug Connell
Book #8 out of 100 (my goal for 2018)

Have you eyes glazed over when a pastor used the word “doctrine”? Do you just wish preachers get over “doctrine” and give you application?

Assuming you could concede doctrine is important, would you be able to explain why?

This brief book (108) pages could be read in a day or two and is a very helpful, easy-to-understand explanation of the importance of sound doctrine.
Cole Newton
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don’t look to this book to explain the particulars of sound doctrine nor the details of how to apply it; instead, Jamieson argues for the necessity of sound doctrine for the life and godliness of both the church collective and Christians individually. As a short refutation to the thought that we don’t need doctrine only Jesus, the book is quite effective and helpful.
Rich
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-edition
Some very good points -- just too much fluff about surfing and jazz saxophone. Cut out some of the illustrations and it would get another star for the important emphasis on sound doctrine for church growth, godliness, love -- ever aspect of authentic Christianity.
Eduardo Fergusson
Una excelente presentación de como el correcto entendimiento de la doctrina biblica afecta todas las areas de la vida de la iglesia, empezando una difinición precisa, La Sana Doctrina es un resumen de la enseñanza bíblica que es tanto fiel a la Biblia como útil para la vida..
John Crowe
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
People often view church doctrine as something boring or impractical for daily living. This book demonstrates such an outlook about doctrine is not true.
Justin Likens
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book that lays out a sound argument for why sound doctrine is so important in the life of a believer as well as for the life of the church
Shane Williamson
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ecclesiology
Simple and yet rich. Love Bobby's gift of clarity. Great resource.
Rob Sumrall
I love the 9Marks series of books on building healthy churches. I had previously read and been stirred by their books on elders and church discipline, so I was extremely excited when I received this book at the Together For the Gospel Conference.

Bobby Jamieson did not disappoint. He continued in the vein of the other 9Marks offerings, authoring a short book loaded with great biblical insight. These books are helpful to pass on to lay leaders and staff members. They deal with critical issues for
Charles
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
We all love personal stories. And I feel like we love it even more when it is done by a pastor/teacher. These stories help us to grasp topics that may at first seem difficult, but upon seeing them practically lived out become plain. Jamieson does a good job of using stories in this way.

This is not a complicated read, but it is enjoyable and encouraging. I would not say that there is anything new in this read for the Christian who has a decent understanding of Biblical application, but it is eff
Mark Sylvester
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology, goals-2016
This book is a helpful reminder that doctrine (summarizing Gods Word in our words) always functions as a map for life, whether personal or corporately as a church. Jamison's out to show how sound doctrine (teaching that explains the truths of Scripture faithfully and rightly) will necessarily produce a desire for holiness, joy, unity, worship, and witness in the life of an individual and church. Jameson argues that without the authority of Scripture and sound doctrine, you're left to relying on ...more
Mark A Powell
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the most important factors necessary for growing healthy churches is sound doctrine. Far from referring to textbook-style jargon or academic posturing, Jamieson draws heavily on Scripture to show that sound doctrine is inextricably connected with sound living. This is a highly accessible work, the third entry in a series from 9 Marks that is designed to foster church health and growth. As a primer, this one is easy to read and worth the investment.
Pavel Espinal
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
The author makes a good job emphasizing the importance of sound doctrine for the christian life.

The book is easy to read and a clever use of anecdotes was a key factor for keeping the reader's attention all the time. You are not required to read the chapters in order, but even so, you can perceive the connection between them.
Matt Pitts
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
An excellent primer on the value, necessity, and practical purpose of sound doctrine. And its a quick and pleasurable read.

A great addition to a great series (the 9Marks Building Healthy Churches Series).
Allen Tsai
Apr 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ministry
A quick read and a welcomed addition to the series. Straightforward and very easy to digest while convicting at the same time.
Steve Otey
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great for building unity in the church. Must read
Alaura
Sep 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great

This book was really good, it hit all the points that sound doctrine should cover. Also, it was quite biblically sound.
Calvert Wallace
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A must read.
David Varney
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tidy little volume. Nice overview.
Derrick Stiller
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Church Discipline: How the Church Protects the Name of Jesus
  • The Gospel: How the Church Portrays the Beauty of Christ
  • Evangelism: How the Whole Church Speaks of Jesus
  • Church Elders: How to Shepherd God's People Like Jesus (9Marks: Building Healthy Churches)
  • Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church: A Guide for Ministry
  • Discipling: How to Help Others Follow Jesus
  • Missions: How the Local Church Goes Global
  • Finding Faithful Elders and Deacons
  • The Pastor as Scholar and the Scholar as Pastor: Reflections on Life and Ministry
  • Expositional Preaching: How We Speak God's Word Today
  • Luther on the Christian Life: Cross and Freedom
  • Jesus the Son of God: A Christological Title Often Overlooked, Sometimes Misunderstood, and Currently Disputed
  • Prayer: How Praying Together Shapes the Church (9marks: Building Healthy Churches)
  • The Pastor's Justification: Applying the Work of Christ in Your Life and Ministry
  • Am I Called?: The Summons to Pastoral Ministry
  • What is the Mission of the Church?: Making sense of social justice, Shalom and the Great Commission
  • Sojourners and Strangers: The Doctrine of the Church
  • New Testament Deacon: The Church's Minister of Mercy
Bobby Jamieson is a Ph.D. student in New Testament and affiliated lecturer in New Testament Greek at the University of Cambridge. He and his wife are members of Eden Baptist Church, and they live in Cambridge with their three children. Bobby previously served as assistant editor for 9Marks.