Start by marking “Clark the Shark” as Want to Read:
Clark the Shark

Clark the Shark

(Clark the Shark)

Clark the Shark is a great read-aloud picture book, with fun rhythm and rhyme, from the ever-popular Bruce Hale and Guy Francis.

Clark is a shark with zing, bang, and BOOM. Clark zooms into school, crashes through the classroom, and is rowdy at recess. Clark loves life—but when his enthusiasm is too much for his friends, Clark's teacher, Mrs. Inkydink, helps him figure out
Published June 25th 2013 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Clark the Shark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clark the Shark

Madeline Clements
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edtp-245
This is a great book to read to children. It shows that you can be yourself and still follow the rules. It also shows that there is someone for everyone.
Elizabeth
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Clark learns three lessons about manners:
*When teacher's talking, don't go walking.
*Only munch your own lunch.
*Easy does it, that's the way. Then my friends will let me play.
We know he understands because he is able to teach the new kid, Sid the Squid.
Orsayor
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Valuable lesson on how to slow down and enjoy the things you love. Clark the Shark reminded me of a few people I know. Lol!!!
Sadia Mansoor
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
One of the most imp lesson from this book:
"There's a time & a place for everything. Sometimes you stay cool.
But sometimes a shark's gotta do what a shark's gotta do"
;)

Seriously, everything happens on its time & at its place. There's no hurry. We just have to have some patience! Nothing's ever achieved by taking stress or showing anxiety.
Cora
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Per my 2nd graders: I loved it because it was so much fun. It was awesome because Clark the Shark was crunching food in his mouth. Clark the Shark was funny because he was playing too rough. The book was brilliant because it was funny. It was so much awesome because Clark the Shark was playing with the octopus.
Kayla Miedema
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
My class and I enjoyed reading this book. It is a fun way to talk about and introduce classroom rules. Clark is funny and many of my students can relate to his troubles adjusting to school. Great for primary grade students.
Carrie Gelson
Sep 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Oh if only self regulation were as easy as "be cool" and put it into rhyme. But appreciate the exploration of diversity in the "classroom"
S.S.
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Okey dokey. I must confess that I actually watched this as a video on YouTube, mainly because Chris Pine was reading it! :D (Chris Pine is one of my favourite actors.) I did actually enjoy this story, which was about a shark who's very rowdy and over-enthusiastic in his school-classes. The moral of the story is, that you can enjoy things but you must show consideration towards others and their feelings. (I think a lot of people, adults included, could learn a lot from this tale to be honest, heh ...more
Makayla Harrison
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Summary:
This book focuses on a character named Clark the Shark. He loves school so much! Maybe a little bit too much... He always got in trouble for going above and beyond. He was just too passionate about everything he did. His teacher told him "What's the rule? Stay cool". Clark realized that this rhymed! He used this rhyme to help him remember to play it cool, and it worked! There was even a new kid at school and he helped the new kid learn the rule too.

Evaluation:
This book has a nice flow,
Hannah Lockington
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good read aloud book due to the sight words, and the small rhymes with in it. The story follows a really strong stark named Clark who has trouble following the rules because of his nature. He is too loud during reading time, he eats too much at lunch, and he plays too rough at recess. "He loved everything way too much" is an actual line in the story. After a while all of the fish avoid him because he is too much. Could be a good story for kids with ADHD or other disabilities that make acting "co ...more
Nauka N.
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this from audiobook that read by Chris Pine, and it was wonderful (also it's an excuse to say that how he read this book was super expressive and I love it). As a children book, it's still entertaining and funny. But it also want to tell the children to be their own person. No matter how different the situations they faced, they must adapt in the most comfortable way.

Anyway, I supposed to put this on my children literature report for my reading class. But unfortunately, my lecturer don't
Diana
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, storytime
Cute! I know so many kids like Clark who are just SO EXCITED about EVERYTHING!!! And that's probably why this book resonated so well both with me and with the kiddos. It teaches kids that they CAN control their own behavior, which is a very powerful message, indeed. Plus, it tells that there's a time to control that energy and a time to let it all out. A good message there for us adults, too, as we need to make sure the kiddos CAN release that energy. Overall, it's a great book. Highly recommend ...more
Hannah Achenbach
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I love Bruce Hale's series, Clark the Shark, because of how unique and imaginative it is. Clark the Shark is a great story to use to teach children about being self aware of how their actions, words, etc. affect others, as well as how others perceive them. This would be a great story to read to a class or group of children that contains children who play too rough, are obnoxious at times, eat aggressively, etc., in order to help them realize there is a time a place for everything.
Clark is a very exuberant shark who makes school difficult for his classmates and his teachers. That is, until he learns a rhyme that helps him remember to stay cool. Then he is able to enjoy his lessons and his friends. I have had many "Clarks" in my class. This book will become a regularly read book in my room!
Anthony
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Clark the Shark is the biggest, strongest fish at Theodore Roosterfish Elementary. He also loves everything about school, his teacher Mrs Inkydink, recess, lunch, and playing with his friends, but he was too loud, too wild, and too much fish to handle. How will Clark fit in? After giving it some thought after talking to Mrs Inkydink about it, Clark comes up with a great idea.
Elizabeth Watkins
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edel-244
This book is so cute and has such good meanings behind it. Many kids in classrooms could relate to Clark and learn from him. His action were always in good meaning, but he could not contain himself! If you have a rowdy classroom it would be great to read and have them learn what they should be doing by following what Clark did.
Joy Gerbode
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very cute book for children just beginning school, as it offers, in a rhyming and easy to listen to format, some suggestions for being kind and helpful, for sitting still, for other beginning school traits, that are simple to understand and fairly easy to employ, but could offer big results!
Crosby Maierle
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The pictures were so great. There is so much detail and colors. This book is so fun! It is so funny. One of my favorite books. Clark the shark is a shark that loves school and loves life. He learns to stay cool. He learned little rhymes to handle his excitement. This can help students who have a lot of energy in the classroom.
Ashley Adams
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, children
Clark the Shark LOVES his school of fish! He loves everything about it. The trouble is, his enthusiasm runs away with him and Clark's smaller friends don't want him around. With the help of his teacher, Clark learns a rhyming strategy that will help him remember to manage his behavior and be a good friend.
James Bailey
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Clark is a great character! He has a love for life but sometimes his excitement gets him in trouble. He has to learn to control his body and actions to keep school fun, safe, and enjoyable for everyone.
Kaye
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Clark the Shark learns some rules to get along in school. “Only munch your own lunch.” When the teacher is talking, don’t start walking.” Cute illustrations. Read to 1st and 2nd grade who totally enjoyed.
Michelle
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: london-s-library
We listened to this as a Storyline Online, read by actor Chris Pine.
A fun story about a pushy great white who's excitement gets the best of him at school.

Pine does a wonderful job as Clark- we laughed through the whole reading.
Laura Aldridge
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Really well done. Love the use of a shark for an overly enthusiastic kid who is struggling to understand boundaries and indoor voices etc.

This book has a great message and is told I’m a super cute way.
Victoria
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great for social skills. “Stay cool”
Carly
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-kinder
I think this is a good book; however, I would use the word calm instead of cool because cool has a different meaning for kids.
Aviecayl Uy
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
My actual rating for "Clark the Shark" by Bruce Hale is 3.75/5 stars.
Mary Grace
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book because it has a great idea on how children can calm themselves down when they get over excited. I really think kids will enjoy the rhymes Clark uses to remember to "stay cool".
Katy
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice book for teaching kids self control. Great for kids who are more hyperactive.
Breea Holdcroft
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This would be a great book to read to a class. When having behavioral problems in the classroom this might help the kids "stay cool." I really enjoyed this book and thought it was a really fun read.
Andria
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great to use with social thinking curriculum, especially the group plan concept.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
2016 Spring Child...: Wright- Digital Book Promotion 1 9 Mar 09, 2016 07:33PM

• Nugget and Fang: Friends Forever--or Snack Time?
  • Please Please the Bees
  • Bear Says Thanks
  • Outfoxed
  • A Funny Little Bird
  • Tea Party Rules
  • How Big Could Your Pumpkin Grow?
  • Count the Monkeys
  • My Blue Is Happy
  • One Drowsy Dragon
  • Rufus Goes to School
  • The Gingerbread Man Loose in the School
  • Let's Go, Hugo!
  • The Apple Orchard Riddle
A serious book addict, Bruce wanted to be a children's book author since he was in 4th grade (right after he got over wanting to be a pirate, Tarzan, and Daniel Boone). Today he's the author-illustrator of over 50 seriously funny books for kids, so some dreams do come true.

The Malted Falcon, one of his Chet Gecko Mysteries series, was an Edgar Award finalist, and Murder, My Tweet won a Little D Aw

Clark the Shark (2 books)
  • Clark the Shark Dares to Share