Start by marking “Grace, Gold, and Glory: My Leap of Faith” as Want to Read:
Grace, Gold, and Glory: My Leap of Faith

Grace, Gold, and Glory: My Leap of Faith

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  2,035 Ratings  ·  300 Reviews
In the 2012 London Olympics, US gymnast Gabby Douglas stole hearts and flew high as the All-Around Gold Medal winner, as well as acting as a critical member of the US gold-medal-winning women gymnastics team. In this personal autobiography, Gabby tells her story of faith, perseverance, and determination, demonstrating you can reach your dreams if you let yourself soar.
Published December 19th 2012 by Zondervan (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Grace, Gold, and Glory, please sign up.
Faythe Shattuck Try going to your local library or school library and checking it out.

Lauren Hopkins
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Oh boy...where do I begin? It's hard to be objective as a gymnastics writer who worked closely with these athletes over the last quad and who was there for a lot of what's being written about here by someone who has clearly never seen a competition. I went in with very low expectations, knowing that there was a push to get this book out before the holidays. Its biggest problem is that it reads like a wikipedia entry, embellished by an overuse of "teen slang" (it's like if a Chinese farmer in 871 ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Gabby Douglas is awesome; her "memoirs" (read: juvenile summary of her life including some awkwardly candid opinions of her absent father) not so much. I'm sure young people (teens or younger) will enjoy this, but I found myself cringing at the language and bored stiff. A shame because Athlete Gabby is Gold.

Very glad I only paid $1.99 for the Ebook.
Emily
Mar 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gymnastics, memoir
I read the e-book on a whim one Friday night, despite not at all being in the target audience. While the tween-speak comes with the territory, I found the relaying of Gabby's rise to the top of the podium disappointing and even disturbing. Unfortunately, the book shies away from any details about the actual training and competitive experience involved in making it to the Olympics and instead focuses on Gabby's home life and personal struggles in managing the demands of elite gymnastics.

Gabby's
Cheryl
Sixteen year old Gabrielle Douglas recounts her journey to becoming an Olympic champion gymnast and the first American gymnast to win both an individual and team gold medal in one Olympics. Gabrielle faced some very difficult challenges along the way. When she was just a baby, Gabrielle's family lived in a van while her parents sought work. Then, after her parents divorced, Gabrielle's mother worked multiple jobs just to keep her children fed and clothed. As it became apparent that Gabrielle had ...more
Andrea
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
I think Gabby is a neat girl who did amazing things with winning two gold medals in the 2012 London Olympics. I remember watching the Olympics on tv and I'm a fan.
I think this book would've been way better if she waited 5 years or so to tell her story. It's very teenager-ish with lol slang, etc, and not great writing. There are also some perspectives about her father that feel like she's trying to get back at him - he's not great and has not been supportive, but the way she says it feels weird.
I
Sara Bennett
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, nonfiction
After seeing Gabby Douglas perform in the 2012 Olympics I had become a fan of her happy smile and nickname, the flying squirrel. So when I saw this book at the library I was super happy and picked it up without a second thought. I had read a similarly styled book by Shawn Johnson about her life and the Olympics. And after the Olympics too. So I was hoping for something about the same.

While this book is mostly about Gabby's life leading up to the Olympics it does have a chapter or more on the Oly
Kaitlyn Kopyar
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Grace, Gold, and Glory:My Leap of Faith
Gabrielle Douglas with Michelle Burford
Gabby Douglas has just finished the 2012 Olympics and wants to write about her journey to the 2012 Summer Olympics. In this autobiography we find out that Gabby's life wasn't always as perfect as it would seem for a gold medal winner. She had to work hard for all that she has accomplished, and this includes moving across the country, moving in with a family that you've never met, and leaving your family all behind. Lif
Todd Cannon
When I discovered that this book had been written I was eager to read it. I loved watching Gabrielle Douglas in the Olympics. I appeared that many people were eager to read it because I had to put a hold on it at the Library and wait my turn.

My turn finally came and I brought it home. After reading the first few chapters I was really unimpressed. The language in the book is too much like a teenager talking. I have no problem with teenagers and I love talking to them but I expect a book to be di
Alyssa Hanks
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Are you interested in gymnastics, or just like hearing about a dream come true? If you answered yes to either of these questions, then Grace, Gold, and Glory: My Leap of Faith is the book for you. This book, about Gabrielle Douglas, written by her herself, is about her roller coaster of a journey to the Olympics. Gabrielle, mostly known as Olympian Gabby Douglas went through a lot to make it to where she had always dreamed to go, the Olympics. It all started out when Gabby's sister insisted tha ...more
Grace C.
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: autobiography
It's a leap of faith to success for Gabi Douglas, a once deathly sick newborn born into a poor family living in the back of their Dodge van. Growing up, she finally found a home- next to her brother, two sisters, and her mother. Finally settling into a gym so she can burn off her energy, she discovers she has a real passion and talent in gymnastics. Flash forward a few years and Gabi is a healthy teen in a steady home, just with a shadowy, some-times-there-some-times-not, absent father while she ...more
Emma D
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!

This book is very inspiring to people like me because she's a gymnast, I'm a gymnast. It makes me strive for my goal in gymnastics..... to be the best gymnast I can be. This gymnast in particular really inspires me because she didn't have a very good life at the start. She lived in the back of a van for almost a year. She had almost nothing a now she is an Olympic champion. In fact she is the first African-American and first woman of color from any nation to win a
Selena
Jun 07, 2013 added it
It was an okay book. It was an interesting read to see how she went from sleeping in her family's van to Gold medal winner. Whoever edited the book did so horribly. Misspellings and at one point in the book she is talking about her host dad Travis and then a couple sentences later his name was Trevor. I had to realize that she was a teenager writing so of course it had a lot of teenage talk in it. But all in all, a neat book. I read it in a day. Easy read. I'm not going to do cartwheels over it, ...more
Liralen
I don't think this is much worse than the average ghostwritten (or co-written) celebrity memoir, but I died a little inside every time "lol" was used in a sentence. A big part of the problem, as others have pointed out, it that -- despite her truly impressive accomplishments -- Gabrielle Douglas is young, and what little drama her life has provided thus far is stretched pretty thin to reach the length of a full-length book.

She's hardly the first Olympic gymnast to go the memoir route -- think Sh
Katianna
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Grace, Gold, and Glory by Gabrielle Douglas is an inspiring book. Gabby starts her life in the back of an black SUV with a fatal blood disease. This blood disease causes her blood to thin and for her to lose weight every day. After many months of checks from friends and her mom working triple shifts, they were finally able to move into an apartment. Her siblings are Arielle, Joyelle, and John. When her sister Arielle started gymnastics, Gabby thought it was the coolest thing ever. she started fo ...more
Emma
Feb 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
This book was a book club choice and so perhaps not the first I would choose. I liked it, but with many reservations... I do not feel that the Ghost writer (a regular contributor Oprah Winfrey's O magazine) gave Gabby sufficient room to explore the themes she sets up in the book. Broadly speaking, her estranged father's abandonment, her faith and her training and preparation regimen were all touched upon but never really examined satisfactorily.

The 2012 Olympics experience in particular was rush
NCPL Teenzone
If you watched the 2012 London Olympic Games, you've heard of Gabrielle Douglas. She was a member of the Fierce Five, who won team gold for the USA and she became the first woman of color from any nationality to win the all around gold. But there is a lot more to know about this sixteen year old phenom. Learn about her siblings, her family struggles, and what she sacrificed in order to fulfill her Olympic dreams.

Why I picked up this book: I love reading current "celebrity" biographies and this l
Crystal Cruz
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Grace, Gold & Glory is about the amazing story of Gabrielle Douglas. It is a really inspiring book. It shows her determination toward her sport. It shows that even though she grew up with not having as much as others, all she needed was determination. She opens up about how going through with your dreams isn't always an uphill mission. You will have to have some downhill action. It shows everybody that it takes hard work and dedication to complete your goals in life. This isn't only about gy ...more
Eileen
Dec 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
You have to take into consideration that it is written by a 16 year old. There are a lot of "(lol)" throughout, but it's a mature account of how her dream unfolded--bumps, bruises, highs and lows. It is a great testament to "It Takes a Village" to raise our kids and from "rags to riches." She is an incredibly insightful young lady who truly appreciates the sacrifices her family made, the generosity of strangers, and her faith to help her get to her ultimate destination. She is candid about her e ...more
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
After I read Shawn Johnson's book, I decided to read Gabby's, but overall was a little disappointed. Some of the writing seemed to be all over the place and there were stories put in that were come rely irrelevant. It would have been better if she had talked more about her experiences at the Olympics, as far as friends she had made along the way and things like that. I guess I was hoping it was going to be more like Johnson's book and it really wasn't. Still interesting to read about the challen ...more
pianogal
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
I came across this one at the library and thought why not? It was pretty good, but it kinda feels like your reading a 3rd grade book report. I don't know if the ghost writer needed to do a better job or what, but I thought a lot of this was superficial. It was interesting, having watched the events happen on TV to see a little bit behind the scenes, but every thing was just barely touched on.

Also I kinda can't believe I saw several lols in the actual printed text. Really???????????? Give your s
Gabrielle
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really like this auto biography of Gabrielle Douglas, im a fan of hers and the sport so it was interesting to read about her journey to becoming an olympic medal gymnast and also to learn more about her life and get to understand her at a personal level. I liked that the chapters were varied so like one chapter would be about her family and her life and then the other would talk about her life as a gymnast and her experiences in gymnastics.
Paige
Jan 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
As a former gymnast, I absolutely love Gabby Douglas. I didn't expect much from this book in terms of it being great literature, but I'm still giving it one star. It was definitely a good read in that I enjoyed learning about Gabby's road to the Olympics, but my enjoyment of the book ended there, which is fine since I didn't go into reading it hoping to get more than that out of it. I would say it's a good read for young athletes and for anyone who watched her rock the Olympics.
Izzy
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a really good book. Yeah it was written for kids, it was a quick and fun read. As a gymnast, it's easy to connect to what she writes about. She writes about her challenges and how she overcame what was in front of her in a totally different way. Its inspiring and makes you think. It shows that determination can bring you anywhere.
Christine Lussier
May 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Easy short read about Gabby's gymnastics life. I was surprised to learn how "unavailable" her father was-certainly not what came across on tv! Also, I'm amazed at what a strong set of beliefs she has-reminded me of Shawn Johnson.
Sharice
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
great book. what an Olympic Journey. Its motivational, a little spiritual, its well put together. what an awesome life shes lived and shes still young! great person & wonderful role model. beautiful person inside and out. I also found a new respect for gymnasts!
Amanda
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir-bio
This was ok, but didn't really tell me anything I didn't learn from the Gabby Douglas made-for-tv movie. It also had a lot more religion in it than I expected. If I hadn't known so much already, though, this would be a nice overview of Gabby's journey to the gold.
Rachel
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This great autobiography is written in the voice of a teenager, making it attractive to younger readers. Gabrielle is careful to give God glory for her successes, as well as to detail the ways in which she relies on Him through her difficult training.
NewFranklin School
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: maren, maddy-z, brynn-d
I love this book! Not only is this book well written but it inspires me and I think every body should read it because she has an amazing story! It will grab your attention the whole way through!
-Maddy Z.
Katie
Apr 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Inspiring story, but I was disappointed in the writing style. It felt like I was reading Gabby's blog instead an autobiography. Teenage girls will love reading this though.
Fran
Dec 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012
You don't say "lol" in a book, EVER.
Religious and Lea...: Book 4 3 Feb 11, 2015 01:45PM
Is this book any good? 3 14 Apr 21, 2014 02:36PM
  • Winning Balance: What I've Learned So Far about Love, Faith, and Living Your Dreams
  • Life Is a Gift: The Zen of Bennett
  • Off Balance: A Memoir
  • Letters to a Young Gymnast
  • 104 Horses: A Memoir of Farm and Family, Africa and Exile
  • Doc: A Memoir
  •  Gold Medal Summer
  • Zero Regrets: Be Greater Than Yesterday
  • Glory Road: My Story of the 1966 NCAA Basketball Championship and How One Team Triumphed Against the Odds and Changed America Forever
  • In the Water They Can't See You Cry: A Memoir
  • A Mighty Long Way: My Journey to Justice at Little Rock Central High School
  • Still Growing: An Autobiography
  • Living and Dying in Brick City
  • The Express: The Ernie Davis Story
Gabrielle Douglas is a two-time Olympic gold medalist. At the 2012 Summer Olympics, she made history, becoming the first US gymnast to take home a team and an individual gold medal in the same Olympics. Gabrielle began her training at age six, and became the Virginia State Champion only two years later. When she was fourteen, she left her family in Virginia Beach to train with coach Liang Chow in ...more
More about Gabrielle Douglas

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Meet Me in the Bathroom: Rebirth and Rock and Roll in New York City 2001-2011
    $12.99 $2.99
  • What We Talk About When We Talk About God: A
    $11.49 $2.99
“So many times in life we're faced with a choice: when a task becomes super difficult, will we flip out and quit, or will we stay focused and keep fighting?". "With strong faith in God and some serious determination, every dream is possible - especially if your mama refuses to let you fly home, fry chicken, and give up” 12 likes
“Grace, Gold, Glory. Those three little words now have the biggest meaning for me. Grace - That's all about how my father's love, mercy and forgiveness will never (ever) run out. Gold - yes, that describes the pair of medals I will always feel so privileged to wear, but it's also the standard we can use in how kindly we treat one another. Glory - when God shares it with us, there's only one thing we can do: give it right back to Him” 11 likes