Start by marking “In the Shadow of the Mountains” as Want to Read:
In the Shadow of the Mountains

In the Shadow of the Mountains

(Liminality #0.5)

Geeks, grisly murder… and a vampire?

Chris Doyle always said he’d be lucky to get out of high school alive, but he didn’t mean it quite so literally. Failing History because you were reading comics under the desk is one thing; savagely mutilated classmates are a whole nother ball of wax. But the police can take care of it, right?

Aaron Margolis isn’t as sure. He only wanted
Published December 2012

To ask other readers questions about In the Shadow of the Mountains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Shadow of the Mountains

Start your review of In the Shadow of the Mountains
Aderyn Wood
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recently I sat down to read 'In the Shadow of the Mountains' by MR Graham, and found myself enthralled. It's always exciting to find an Indie author whose work is of such a high standard.

'In the Shadow of the Mountains' is part of a series of novels called 'The Books of Lost Knowledge'. Set in the small Colorado town, Burns City, it begins with the mysterious arrival of a newcomer who moves into town during a snow storm. No one sees him for days and this sets the tongues wagging as well as piqui
Jodi Lamm
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
In high school, I had this English teacher. He was a tall, older man with graying dark hair, a tweed jacket with leather patches at the elbows, and reading glasses he occasionally wore on the end of his nose. I became convinced he smoked a pipe outside class; that's how Masterpiece Theatre his look was. It was my first honors class, my teacher was brimming with intelligence and that classy educated-gentleman look, and oh how I fawned over him. Because that's what you do with that sort of teacher ...more
La La
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-kindle
I had a bit of trouble getting into the story in the beginning, but the last 2/3 of the book were as fabulous as its companion book, The Medium, which I gave a five star rating! I will be back with a review. I plan on reading the other two Books of Lost Knowledge in the next few days and will be reviewing them on my blog as a whole.
Judith
I received this book as a ARC from Goodreads and waited to read it until I read the author's first Book of Lost Knowledge "The Wailing". A continuation of the life and adventures of Daniel Leland, this time on another continent and time line. I am enjoying this new twist to vampire writing by M.R. Graham and am very happy that I was chosen to read and review it. I'm not sure if "Twilight" fans would enjoy this but I think that anyone who enjoys a good vampire story will definitely like Professor ...more
Alicia Wright
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this rather slowly at first, it takes a while to get going and it also took me some time to warm up to Daniel, but he is busy keeping his distance from the other characters too, so I feel that's only natural. Once it did get going though, I blazed through the rest of the book in two days flat. The tension rocketed right up, and I just had to read to find out what would happen. There was a shock at the end, and there are questions left unanswered, but this is one of the Books of Lost Knowl ...more
Karen
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the main character - Daniel Leland. Can't say I was overwhelmed by the book, but it was enjoyable. I would read the other books about the character because I find him intriguing but that is perhaps why I didn't love the book - I didn't learn enough about him. As a secondary gripe. why is the series called the Book of Lost Knowledge? This book (apparently #2 in the series) didn't seem to develop a "big picture" as I would have expected. I read this book out of sequence, so I will give the ...more
D. Mellott
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book a long while ago, but I am nothing if not a lazy bass turd and have not updated my updates with any updates. Nonethemore, I am delightfully steamed at MR Graham. Mostly because this book was really good -- drew me in nicely -- and I was very happy with the way it ended. However, it was kind of like sex -- I am now recovered and want more -- looks like The Wailing is next. Is Aaron in it? Only one way to find out !!!
Martin Landry
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An awesome follow on to "The Wailing," I enjoyed it more because it had more of what I enjoyed about the first book, while adding deeper characters and a more comfortable length. While I still wanted more at the end, it didn't leave me "hungry" like "The Wailing" did. I would recommend reading both in sequence.
Brian Bigelow
It's well written and edited. Unfortunately for me the book just didn't grab me like I wanted it to. It's got all the right elements which is what kept me reading. I think I'll pass on the next book on the series though.
Shannon
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is an interesting story that kept me reading. The characters are complex and believable. I'm looking forward to reading more by this up and coming new author!
MG
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The standout feature of this book is definitely Daniel Leland. Enigmatic, morally ambiguous, and at times quite vulnerable, he's really not your run-of-the-mill mild-mannered schoolteacher.

I like how the narrative dances around him and keeps him just this much out of focus. It's a hard job keeping up mystery and suspense in paranormal fiction nowadays--sometimes, I wanted to shake the other character for not seeing what seemed to be incredibly obvious to me (with, of course, my unfair advantage
Maryann mayton
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found myself entwined this book I was more then just loving the book but needing to read the whole series. The writer is so wonderful that I found myself buying other books as well as the others in this series. I think this is a series that everyone should go out and read.
Janet York
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book! So many twists I didn't see coming. Will definitely read more of Ms Graham's books. Thank you so much for the autographed copy Ms Graham and Goodreads!
Ramona Plant
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is interesting in a different way. The other books focus much more on the perspective of our paranormal characters like Daniel, but this one is written much more from the "commoners" perspective, which I found intriguing. In the shadow of the Mountains fills in some gaps about Sebastian.

Clearly MR Graham knows her skill and is an excellent writer. The pace is maybe a tad slow in this one but nothing too much to notice. From all of the books in this series I have read so far this is prob
Mike Marlow
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked it. It's an interesting small-town vampire story, with some well-built characters (even if they are teenagers). I thought the pacing improved as the book progressed, and there's a bunch of fun openings for sequels.
barbara
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This was a free giveaway from goodreads and was extremely interesting. lots of twists and turns. i would recommend this book.
Lo r n a  Dodge
Jun 06, 2013
Paul Landes
Sep 10, 2014
M.R. Graham
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Jim
Jul 17, 2016
Jeannette
Oct 17, 2017
USA Today bestselling author M.R. Graham is a native Texan who traces strong cultural roots back to Scotland, Poland, and England. A mild-mannered PhD student during the day, Graham transforms at night into a raging Holmesian loremaster and rabid novelist.
Though passionate about all scholarship and academia, Graham's training and true love lies with anthropology, particularly the archaeological br

Liminality (6 books)
  • The Medium (Liminality #1)
  • The Mora (Liminality, #2)
  • The Mage (Liminality #3)
  • The Martyr (Liminality #4)
  • The Masks (Liminality, #5)
  • Metanoia (Liminality, #6)

News & Interviews

“Above all else, above the mechanics, even, a doctor should be thoroughly grounded in morality.” 16 likes