Start by marking “The Dark Between” as Want to Read:
The Dark Between

The Dark Between

A supernatural romance about the powers that lie in the shadows of the mind, perfect for fans of Sarah Rees Brennan, Alyxandra Harvey, and Libba Bray.

At the turn of the twentieth century, Spiritualism and séances are all the rage—even in the scholarly town of Cambridge, England. While mediums dupe the grief-stricken, a group of local fringe scientists seeks to bridge the g
Published August 27th 2013 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

Claudia
Had to wait to review this since a student grabbed it out of my hands as soon as I read it. She just finished and the two of us have promised to buy all the copies at our local bookstore IF Sonia Gensler starts working on the sequel. NOW! Yesterday!!

Kate, Asher, Elsie. No more different three young people, and yet here they are, at Summerfield College in Cambridge. Each has a connection to the popular world of Spiritualism, and each is trying to run from a painful past.

The atmosphere of Summerfi
Alexandra
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great story, poopy ending.

Sonia Gensler sure can write. This was really good YA. It didnt feel like YA at all. The writing was fantastic, the setting was really great and the perfect type of setting for a gothic novel. Books, papers, dusty college libraries and laboratories? Heck yes.

I sort of was disappointed in who died and who didnt, and who didnt end up with anyone. Like I said, poopy. :(

Evie
Set in 1901 Cambridge, England, The Dark Between is a beautifully written and delightfully atmospheric Gothic murder mystery that follows the adventures of three extraordinary teenagers as they investigate the mysterious death of a friend.

Sonia Gensler's new book is a magnificent work of fiction. I loved every page of it. Revolving around spiritualism and seances - two subjects I find extremely fascinating - The Dark Between is quite eerie and dark, but also very fun to read. And the fabulous
Chelsea B.
Nov 02, 2015 rated it liked it
The premise of this book sounded so interesting. A gothic young adult mystery set in the past?! Ummm...YES, PLEASE.
I was even on board with the first half being all character development and no action.
But then it kind of just...continued to be character interactions and no action. Even when the plot of the mystery came together it just felt...incomplete, and anticlimactic. I almost wonder if a sequel is in the works.
I just wanted more from the characters we learned so much about, and more fro
Ashley Brooke
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really can't tell you how surprised I was at The Dark Between. I picked it up on a whim and it held me captive from beginning to end! I really, really enjoyed reading this book. The writing was fluid, the characters were likable, but not cookie cutter and the historical setting was pretty fascinating! I especially enjoyed that the characters seemed to grow during the course of the novel.

I gave this 4 stars because for me, it's clearly a book that needs a sequel. The ending, without a sequel, s
ImagineAnge
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So amazing! This book has been such a thriller. Imagine Gothic romance, murder mystery, and Victorian characters and settings all piled into one book. This is the ultimate mystery for teens equipped with paranormal scene and dark relationships. One of the main things that hit me was that the problems weren't solved easily and the conflicts were deep and kept getting more complicated--the characters actually had to search for the answers to their questions and sometimes found information in dange ...more
Chelsea
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Poorly written with a non-ending. Libba Bray did the creepy 19th century thing way better in her Great and Terrible Beauty series.
Chelsea Hagen
The author of this book writes beautifully. The story however dragged on and I found myself just wanting it to end. It needed a bit more interesting spikes to keep it interesting.
Sesana
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
It starts strong, especially in the first chapter, but I quickly lost interest in the characters.
Ian Wood
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Jessica
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
One look at this cover and I knew it was going to be a creepy read. But knowing this was a supernatural romance, I was intrigued to see how the whole supernatural ghost thing would mix with a romance and couldn't wait to dig into this story.

It's 1901 in Cambridge, England and scientists are intrigued by the idea of the supernatural world. Seances and speaking to ghosts in the spirit world are mysterious mental powers these scientists are determined to master. Kate, Asher, and Elsie find themsel
Fiction_TheNewReality
Review: Well this was a depressing book. And I should have seen it coming with all the ways it was similar to Cat Winters's In the Shadow of Blackbirds. However, while Cat's book made my list of top 10 read in 2013, I'm not sure if The Dark Between was on the same level as In the Shadow of Blackbirds.

Characters: Out of the three main characters that are introduced in this novel (Asher, Elsie, and Kate), Kate was definitely my favorite. She was wild and adventurous, daring and independent. Elsie
Elise Edie
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recent-reads
Sonia Gensler's engaging mystery takes place in Cambridge and concerns the adventures of three very different teenagers, thrown together unexpectedly in the midst of a turn-of-the-century paranormal research investigation. Each tries to uncover the truth behind a series of mysterious deaths, and all are led to members of the Metaphysical Society, a learned group of men dedicated to the scientific investigation of psychic phenomena.

Gensler creates a tight mystery and a whole host of attractive ch
Katrina Marie
Aug 15, 2013 rated it liked it
The Dark Between wasn’t what I was expecting. The cover gave me the creeps, and I thought going in I’d get a great gothic horror. Even though it wasn’t what I thought it was going to be, I enjoyed it.

We follow Kate, Elsie, and Asher through the streets of Cambridge. Kate is my favorite character. She doesn’t really care what others think of her. Her downfall is she’s not very trusting. She honestly has no reason to be, but I think it helps develop her into the strong young woman that she is. She
Suad Shamma
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2014
Okay, so I got a little excited with this book, but I just LOVE ghost stories! And good ones at that!

It is so rare that you find a proper ghost story that keeps you hooked all the way. The only other one I can think of right now is Maureen Johnson's Name of the Star (brilliant book, highly recommended, go buy it NOW!), but Sonia Gensler succeeded in writing a very successful ghost story - i.e. interesting and spooky all at the same time.

A good ghost story is one that has an interesting story lin
Paula
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya-books
I have to caveat this by saying I know the author. But even with that, I honestly loved this book. And I'm impressed with the leaps and bounds by which her writing has progressed.

The setting was really interesting. I really felt transported back to this era on England. And while I could tell she did a ton of research, it was woven into the story so delightfully that I was constantly surprised by interesting tidbits that were revealed by the narrative without it feeling in any way like a history
DeAnne
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
A compelling story of three teens in 19th Century Cambridge, England. From different backgrounds, they try to solve a paranormal mystery while navigating friendships, love interests, and parental troubles. Historical fiction, mystery, and spooky ghost story all skillfully all rolled into one!
Alicia Papp
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
A clever, very enjoyable mystery/thriller with interesting characters, a great setting and plenty of edge of your seat moments. Oh and ghosts!!! A good fun and eerie read.
Elaine
Jan 10, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: not-yet-released
Umm. Sarah Rees Brennan, Libba Bray, Alyxandra Harvey.
Yeah, consider me sold.
Joy (Cheery♡Reads)
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aug-2013, i-own
Omg, my heart is still pounding. It simply cannot end like this. This NEEDS and MUST have a sequel.
Doug Penny
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
The author creates a credible story combining the historically secretive British metaphysical society with stuffy university elite culture resulting in a great mystery for YA and adults to solve along with the trio of troubled teens. Ms. Gensler addresses the accepted view where the privileged few inflict abuse on the street urchins in the same manner as Dickens, and the story she weaves leaves the reader with much the same conflicting emotions. The main characters are complex and manipulative w ...more
Heather Anderson
This mystery novel had a well-crafted plot, an wonderful eerie tone, and likable characters. I especially enjoyed that her characters are flawed and possess realistic motivations for their actions. I did feel that the ending was a bit rushed; I was also conflicted about one of the main character's actions towards the end that didn't seem congruent with her characterization. Although it claims to be a period piece, I struggled to visualize the time period, though the author was clear about gender ...more
Linda Fast
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The Dark Between takes place at the turn of the century in Cambridge England where everyone seems to be hiding secrets. The story begins with Kate who is part of a séance scam when her cover is blown by an attendee. Kate who is left without a job seeks out the attendee at Summerfield College and he takes her in. An introduction is made and she finds her self with a few days of employment in the schools library. The characters and the era make this book a very interesting read. This book was writ ...more
Sylvia
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Full review: https://sylreads.wordpress.com/2019/0...

Actual rating: 3.75
I loved how haunting this book was. The historical backdrop was fantastic, and I thought the characters were actually written like teenagers, which was refreshing. I just wish the ending had been more solid!

Ignore how long it took me to read this. I only read it on desk at work, so it was pretty minimal reading time.
Katlyn
I couldn't get into this book. I really did try but it was just so dull and I couldn't connect with any of the characters! It was reminiscent of In the Shadow of Blackbirds, which I also really struggled with. I can't pinpoint exactly what was wrong, but I completely lacked immersion. I honestly don't think historical fiction is for me! Also, I have to say, I don't understand why this book is a standalone. The ending wasn't really conclusive. 2.25/5
Ives Phillips
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book was fantastic! I was drawn to it by the supernatural and sci-fi aspects of this story, but what kept me hooked (despite the romance) were the amazingly well rounded characters, the mystery, and the desperation of each protagonist and the heartbreaking back stories that brought them together in the Summerfield college.

This would make an excellent teen summer read!
Stephanie Baird
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
The author could have written the last half of the book only, and I would have been content. However, I as many others had to start and suffer at the beginning. The characters changed so much throughout the book it’s as though they are completely different people by the end. The book continues to leave readers with so many unanswered questions.
Jasminka Tanner
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was quite compelling in the beginning, but then it seemed to drag on and I became more and more bored with it. The vocabulary was advanced and I had to look up many words but I liked the challenge.
Brianne
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book had potential, but it was just fine. Went from a 3.5 star to a 2 star because there is basically no ending.

As other reviewers have said it’s mostly character development and not very much action and then all of a sudden it ends, as if the author just got tired of writing it.
Alexis Rhoads
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book!!
  • Spirit and Dust (Goodnight Family #2)
  • Notes from Ghost Town
  • Pieces of Me
  • Hannah's Winter
  • Thorn Abbey
  • The Hunting (Repossession, #2)
  • We Hear the Dead
  • The Ghost in the Glass House
  • Picture the Dead
  • The Morning Star (Katerina, #3)
  • The Midnight Spell
  • Starstruck (Starstruck, #1)
  • Velvet
  • Just Like Fate
  • Cat Girl's Day Off
  • Angelica
  • Plague in the Mirror
  • The Mirk and Midnight Hour
I am a former high school teacher turned full-time writer living in Oklahoma with my husband and my cat.

My books include THE REVENANT (Knopf 2011), a ghostly mystery set at a Cherokee girls' school, THE DARK BETWEEN (Knopf 2013) a Gothic murder mystery set in Cambridge, England, and GHOSTLIGHT (Knopf 2015) a contemporary MG mystery about a haunted house film project.

PLEASE NOTE: I'm not assignin