Start by marking “Singing My Him Song” as Want to Read:
Singing My Him Song

Singing My Him Song

Malachy McCourt, bestselling author of A Monk Swimming, shares the extraordinary story of how he went from living the headlong and heedless life of a world-class drunk to becoming a sober, loving father and grandfather, still happily married after thirty-five years.

Bawdy and funny, naked and moving, told in the same inimitable voice that left readers all over the world won
Published October 16th 2001 by Harper Perennial (first published October 3rd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Singing My Him Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Singing My Him Song

Start your review of Singing My Him Song
Rose Ann
Nov 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
A disappointment. I wanted it to be another Angela's Ashes. It was not. But that's the failure of my expectation; others may enjoy this. Only be warned -- Malachy is not Frank, and does not write as well.
Barbara
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
Frank's less talented brother explains again and again why he's not such a bad chap despite drinking too much and neglecting his kids until the last chapter.
Kressel Housman
I don't care what anyone else says. Malachy McCourt is just a good a writer as his Pulitzer prize-winning brother. His powers of description transport you right into the scene. Mostly it's a hoot, but he weaves in his battles with his dark demons in just the right balance.

I knew the book was about Malachy's recovery from alcoholism, so I was expecting more about the Twelve Steps, which I've become a fan of recently. There wasn't as much about it as I'd hoped, but what the narrative lacked in qu
Anna
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
Sarah Pascarella
May 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
He ain't his brother, that's for sure.
John
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
A sequel that's better than the original

Malachy McCourt has written an occasionally captivating look at the last forty years of his life that is replete with self reflection, without wallowing in self pity. Furthermore he shows that he can convey his tale in a terse, lyrical prose that shines more brightly than virtually anything he wrote in "A Monk Swimming". The passages that describe his careers as actor and radio talk show host and his involvement in the successful effort to close Staten Isl
RuthAnn
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir, nonfiction
Would recommend: Not really

I picked up Singing My Him Song while I went through my Frank McCourt streak, but this memoir was hardly satisfying. Some of the anecdotes were interesting, but I didn't perceive much coherence between the sections, and I was annoyed that I couldn't figure out the origin of the title.
Wendy
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This, book 2 of Malachy McCourt's memoirs, had a decidedly different tone than that of the first. Much more subdued. Oh, make no mistake, there are plenty of typical Malachy stories, but there must have been a lot of soul searching during the two years between the publishing of the two books. The roller coaster ride that has been his life has certainly had its share of low lows and this was the book that delved into some of the dark recesses where these memories had been hidden.
From reading revi
Connie
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is a fast read and is well written, but I didn't like it. This is the first book that I have read by Malachy McCourt. I have read two of his brother's books Angela's Ashes and Tiz. I wanted to give Malachi a chance, but his book has a almost pompous, arrogant tone to it. He basically only cares about himself and whines about having no money, not seeing his kids etc. No thanks.
Terri Enghofer
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So glad I followed Malachy through his second book, Singing My Him Song, but I strongly encourage fellow book lovers to read his brilliant, A Monk Swimming, before embarking on Him Song. It took 233 pages (of 244) for me to finally breathe comfortably when Malachy accepts the simple truth that "wherever you go, there you are . . . acceptance of myself as I am this day, and gratitude to whoever or whatever put me here." Thank you, Mr. McCourt for sharing your life story with me. You are an inspir ...more
Faith
Jan 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, 2005
Singing My Him Song is the sequel to A Monk Swimming, and Malachy is the brother of Frank McCourt... Now Malachy is a bit older and wiser, and finally confronts his alcohol problem... The whole atmosphere is kind of self critical, cos the book is about the journey from a bad life to a good one, and it is written from a point of view where Malachy has realized how stupid he was... All in the entire sequel is just as good as the first book, but stil not as good as Frank's books. The brothers kind ...more
Cheryl Killingsworth
Actually I got a third of the way through and was ill. The story of his life. Interesting? No. Written well for an uninteresting book? No. Egomaniac, super over the top senseless liberal lunatic? Yes. Really and truly a sorry actor/politician wannabe. Horrid father, alcoholic, and an important person in the New York set of the 1950's to present. Because he had a beer with Richard Harris or he passed Gloria Vanderbilt at a beer hall. I mean really terrible book. Really. Terrible. Book. What a was ...more
Tim
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
The second book from Frank McCourt’s younger but wilder brother, who was a minor celebrity in New York in the days of live television (and who later became a soap actor). A hard drinker and saloon-keeper, he had all sorts of mad stories in the first book. This one shows the flipside of chronic alcoholism and his fight to sobriety, which is fine as far as it goes, but he’s not introspective enough to make it feel universal. Probably should have stayed in his shrink’s notebooks.
Cat.
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The follow-up, which brings us up to today, to A Monk Swimming. Much easier to read, or less tragic: he gets a grip on his alcoholism & his marriage in this one. Finally.

It's interesting that I liked his second book better, while I preferred his brother's first book (Angela's Ashes) over his second. Maybe it's because it seems that Malachy has come to terms with life more completely than his brother, at least when comparing the two 'second' books.
Ashley
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another notch in my McCourt brothers book saga...and I loved it...as always. Probably that Irish thing, but I loved the stories and flowery words and that you almost have to have a Thesaurus handy to get through it. The brutal honesty about oneself, the historically self deprecating tone of Irish humor. On to read the History of Ireland as told my Malachy to round out my March Madness of Irish reading!
Echo
Mar 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: irish, nonfiction
Well, I disagreed with a lot of what he had to say sometimes, but that's ok. It's good to expand your horizons a little, and McCourt's book is interesting at least. (I haven't read Angela's Ashes yet, so I can't and won't compare him to his brother.) It was a pretty good read, and at times very witty.
Eva Leger
Another great book by the McCourt brothers! If anyone is going to read something by these two for the first time I'd definitely read Angela's Ashes first by Frank McCourt as it kind of starts the whole story out for you and gets you sucked in. After reading Ashes I just had to know everything I could find out about the rest of their family life.
Wendy
Sep 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
I wanted this to be good. And because I felt like I knew him from his brother's Angela's Ashes, I kept rooting for Malachy to tell me a good story. But it just didn't happen. I gave up about half way through.
Becky
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love the books by the McCourt brothers! I was especially fond of Frank McCourt's writing, and this book made me think a lot more positively of Malachy McCourt! I'm really tempted to try to find some of his movies or TV shows! I feel like I know him now!
Judy
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Gave it a couple of chances, but could not get through the writing style, or was the author too distant from his recovery as an alcoholic -- or too close? I jumped through the chapters, browsing for bits that I liked and flagged this one :unfinished business so I can get if off my bookshelf.
Karin A.
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-read
Enjoyed, Malachy's honesty and humor dealing with his mistakes and conquests. Bits of his brutal childhood leaked into adulthood but he plugged on. Learning from what didn't work, his later life gave him love and contentment.
Terry
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
McCourt's description of the difficult battle he had in overcoming the twin demons of alcoholism and his less-than-perfect childhood did not ever quite engage me. My native distrust of memoirs may be to blame.
Angela
Feb 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you've read Angela's Ashes, you must read Tis. It's so amazing to see the other brothers story of his life. He was so completely different from Frank, and the lifestyle he lived was so crazy!!
Ammon
Jul 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Malachy is no shirk of writer also. Brilliant verbal play remind me of the Wodehousian heritage of both McCourt brothers.
Erin
Jul 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love Malachy McCourt, and wish he had written 20 more books. His style, his humor, and his amazing storytelling ability makes this book well worth the effort.
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Something beautiful in the way he writes...
Louann
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing book by a McCourt brother. I can't get enough of these guys!!
Katy Brandes
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Kind of self-indulgent. Hate to compare, but I like brother Frank's style better. The second Malachy McCourt installment made me appreciate his work so much more.
Donna Girouard
May 23, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked this one better than A Monk Swimming. It seemed less forced. However, I still prefer "the other McCourt brother."
Shannon
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies
Not quite the writer his brother, Frank, is. Still, it's a good read about his own journey through poverty, immigration, alcoholism, and search for self.

• Teacher Man (Frank McCourt, #3)
  • 'Tis
  • Angela's Ashes (Frank McCourt, #1)
  • The Laws Of Our Fathers (Kindle County Legal Thriller #4)
  • September 11: An Oral History
  • The Red Hat Club
  • Bedford Square (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #19)
  • The Book of Virtues
  • Satellite Sisters' Uncommon Senses
  • Conquering Chronic Disorganization
  • When God Winks: How the Power of Coincidence Guides Your Life
  • Carter Beats the Devil
Malachy Gerard McCourt is an Irish-American actor, writer and politician. He was the 2006 Green party candidate for governor in New York State, losing to the Democratic candidate Eliot Spitzer. He is the younger brother of Frank McCourt.

Malachy McCourt also wrote two memoirs titled A Monk Swimming and Singing my Him Song, detailing his life in Ireland and later return to the United States where de

News & Interviews

“The first item on a spiritual agenda is that I am not what I do, that I am what I am, and therefore I am a walking miracle, on a daily basis.” 1 likes