Start by marking “The Mythology Class: A Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
The Mythology Class: A Graphic Novel

The Mythology Class: A Graphic Novel

The Mythology Class is a graphic novel written and illustrated by Filipino comic creator Arnold Arre. It was originally published by the author under his own Tala Comics Publishing in four issues in 1999, and was collected into a special edition by Adarna House in September of 2005.

The story centers on University of the Philippines Anthropology student Nicole Lacson, a
350 pages
Published 2005 by Adarna House

To ask other readers questions about The Mythology Class, please sign up.
Arnold Arre Hi Nolie, thank you for your interest in The Mythology Class. The 2014 edition/reprint was launched at the Komikon last weekend and is now available…moreHi Nolie, thank you for your interest in The Mythology Class. The 2014 edition/reprint was launched at the Komikon last weekend and is now available in Comic Quest (Megamall) and Filbars (Megamall). It should soon be available in their other branches. :)(less)

Start your review of The Mythology Class: A Graphic Novel
Tina
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tina by: JL Torres
I heard about this from my book club friends around two years ago, but it was already out of print so I knew my only chances of reading this was borrowing it from someone. Of course, that plan never materialized because it wasn't such a high priority book for me. Come Komikon 2014, I saw some friends carrying copies of the new editions of The Mythology Class during the book discussions so I made a mental note to get it afterwards. So I did (and was pleasantly surprised that Arnold Arre was there ...more
Jedi JC Daquis
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
The Mythology Class is a testament of two things: it shows the potential of good-quality Filipino graphic literature and the richness of Philippine mythology and folklore. It is a well-researched and fully realized work of Arnold Arre, one of the top-caliber writer/artists here in the Philippines.

This thick volume tells the story of a group of youngsters in their quest to capture all the mythical beasts that are released into this world. Guided by some ancient epic characters, this "class" must
Nicolo Yu
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philippine-komix
The recent Komikon, its tenth iteration and appropriately named Komikon X, saw the one of the most important book launches in recent years. It returned to print arguably the most important modern Philippine graphic novel. For its fifteenth anniversary, Chamber Shell Publishing, through its Nautilus Comics imprint brought back The Mythology Class by Arnold Arre.

I heard the hype and the legend behind this book. I figured to be the judge of that with my purchase of this phonebook-like tome from the
PurplyCookie
"But if there is one thing missing from this age... it's magic. The world has changed so much that we started creating our own magic."

The story centers on UP anthropology student Nicole Lacson, a girl who holds a passionate love for Filipino myths passed down from her grandfather. Together with a motley assortment of companions, she meets the mysterious Mrs. Enkanta and races to recapture the escaped enkantos (or supernatural creatures) in the human world. The story also invokes historical and
Maria Ella
GUYS DROP THOSE BORING BOOKS AND READ THIS. NOW! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

I REPEAT - YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED

Forgive me, I am on high~
DC
As usual, Arnold Arre does not disappoint.

I will always, always remember with a smile the quirky name of this book, "Mythology Class", mostly because it's true. Even though there are interestingly awe-inspiring, incredibly dramatic, definitely heart-pounding events in this book, at the heart of it all we find a band of "students" who learn more about the mythological world of the Philippines.

Read this book, if only to reorient yourself in the Filipino tales of old. Read this book, if only to
Tricia
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tricia by: JL Torres
Seriously? Slow clap and standing ovation, you guys.
I am so disappointed I've only read this now. ANG GALING MO, ARNOLD ARRE. ANG GANDA NITO SOBRA.
This book is crafted to relive the now gone and buried mythological stories of our country. I've enjoyed this sobra! I can read this over and over again. It's action-packed, rich in Filipino culture and mythology, the hilarious sense of humor, and amazing art!
Teri Pardue
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find it tricky to track down Arre’s graphic novels, so I was excited to discover a reprint of one of his earlier works at Fully Booked a couple months back! Though Martial Law Babies remains my favorite of his graphic novels, I quickly got lost in Arre’s story that blends Philippine myth and folklore with a modern-day Manila.

There is not enough modern literature out there that plays with the tales of tikbalangs and aswangs and heroes like Sulayman. I’m still waiting for a young, bright
Bookbed
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
"Anyone who loves Philippine folklore would enjoy Arre’s fantastical and visually mesmerizing story about a motley crew of university students with unique skills and talents who gets caught up in an ancient quest to capture all sorts of magical creatures in urban Metro Manila. Aside from the fantasy elements, there’s also comedy, a whole lot of action and even romance! (Oh, the romance!)" Continue reading our review here.

Please note: We don't use ratings but for this purpose, we tag books with
Lestat Cayetano
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ann
i had a dream. a ghost lady was calling me and told me i was needed. i, along with a few others had dreamt of the same ghost and were called to attend a particular class. this was the class that helped me get away from it all. the best class i’ve attended yet. short-lived, yet enchanting.

so there i was at crack of dawn, roused by the ghost lady’s visit in my dream, found a flyer directing me to the location of this particular class, took a quick shower and went straight to krus na ligas–the
Kevin Cortes
A cast of college students, old aged teachers and a familiar yet a new and extraordinary view of the local mythology, the story introduces us once again to those familiar tales. A time before the battle of Mactan took place. The era where the gods of nature took reign and the enkantos were still believed to be true by many.

Mrs. Enkanta, Nicole and the rest of the group will truly be a memorable adventure that Arre has luckily invited us to join.

A story written more than a decade ago, the class
Aviecayl Uy
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The Mythology Class” by Arnold Arre tackles Philippine Mythology, but it is also about how stories stay with us and how we often remember those who we love through the same stories that they narrate to us. There are various characters in here that are worth remembering, and the world that the author has built inside of these pages is a magical one, even nostalgic at times, despite not having the same experiences as the main character and also regardless of one’s belief of whether or not such ...more
Billie
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved how it referenced Filipino mythology and seamlessly combined it in a modern setting. Would've loved to be immersed more in the mythology's universe but what I've read I loved a lot. This is a very fun read! ...more
Stephen
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Friend loaned me this book.
It's interesting for some background into Filipino mythology.
I begin to think something may be wrong with me + graphic novels, but I ... I just don't like them that much.
I felt this one had too many one-dimensional characters, the plot seemed to be all over the place, I didn't have much investment in ... well, anything in the book.
I guess some interesting art/ideas but ideas that seemed like I should be able to fill in the details or know why this point in the
Bomalabs
Nov 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Out of all the Goodreads reviews, am I the only one who gave it 3 stars? I don't know, if I probably read it before reading After Eden, or before Trese or Mythspace came, I'll probably rate it higher, but reading it right now - the concept really doesn't feel fresh to me. Or maybe I was just too emotionally invested with Arre's other work, After Eden, and was expecting the same feels. Don't get me wrong though, I'm bummed out every time I had to close the book for I while from reading it during ...more
Chrissie Peria
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a very engrossing read that I would highly recommend to anyone. It's easy to see how this book helped usher in the current comic scene we're enjoying right now, because it's definitely inspiring, and serves as an eye opener on how you can infuse our rich local mythology and update it to contemporary times. This is required reading, IMO.
Jewel
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: filipino-authors
Actual rating: 3.5 stars
Juan Bautista
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have been looking for this book for a while before my good friend, Illustrator, Don Tantiado told me that he has a copy of this graphic novel by Arnold Arre.

The Mythology Class (won the National Book Awards in 2000) is a graphic novel about a group of teens formed by Mrs. Enkanta (a hero from the past) to hinder the dark forces destined to return – to once again, spread terror and to revive their ringleader.

Well, the plot may sound mediocre but, believe me, this work by Arnold Arre could be
Ivan
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another masterpiece from Filipino Comic artist/writer Arnold Arre! I remember back in high school when I would wait for my friends at our meeting place at National Bookstore, I'd actually see & try to read this graphic novel. I used to remember how amazed I would be, realizing this was a Filipino Graphic novel about Philippine Mythology! I felt bad that I wasn't able to grab a copy then, since I couldn't afford one (& because I had to prioritize saving my lunch money for PS2 games & ...more
Maricar Dizon
SO. SO. GOOD. This graphic novel stole my heart. I love, love, Philippine Mythology and I have been collecting books about it for the past year. The Mythology Class was actually recommended by a friend for some time now but it took me months before I found it in the bookstore. So without second thoughts, I bought it. And now it was already one of my most prized treasures. The art was good, the dialogues were fantastic and the story itself was so beautiful it will make anyone fall in love with ...more
Rae
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This comic book fuses a rendition of Filipino Mythology and modern settings to create an action-fulfilled fiction story. It is based on a group college students being recruited by descendants of Bantugan to train, fight, and work together to capture mythical creatures that’ve escaped into their era. Fair warning, this book does contain sensitive material and it’s a long read, but I found the artwork and accurate depictions/portrayals of the creatures intriguing enough to keep me interested in it ...more
Magsi Rover
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: filipino-reads
Mystical, Quirky, Fun and definitely a must-read.
Arnold Arre's Mythology Class pretty much transported me into my childhood. While regrettably I may had the opportunity to read his works from way back. I am fortunate to experience the story of Mythology Class. The whole story is simple and yet, filled with educational to interestingly studied trivias of our Filipino Heritage which allows the reader to enjoy the wonders of Philippine Mythology.

All pages and panels were carefully drawn and
Mary
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Now this is a meaty graphic novel. Graphic novels for me are usually quick reads, which is good, but sometimes I'm left wanting more details. The Mythology Class, on the other hand, does not skimp on said details, so you get a rich story.
Leslie Ann
I think I have finally found Filipino literature I enjoy: stories based on Filipino mythology. Although some of the art was too crowded for my taste, I liked the use of black-n-white and enjoyed the story.
Hope Ong
I now get it why this book is responsible for spearheading the current komiks scene in the Philippines.

A few pages into the book, it really did made me go, "I want to make komiks as awesome as this!"
Dessylyly
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: filipino-authors
I can't help but think how amazing it would be to have The Mythology Class as a fantasy tv series (it's getting a movie adaptation thought yay!), imagine having this kind of quality content shown instead of yung mga typical teleserye. It would inspire people to get in touch with our own mythology again and grabe, imagine kung mala-Hollywood yung effects and shit??? Lmao let me dream. Pero yeah it was a quick, fun read na talagang nakakastimulate ng imagination. The characters weren't ...more
Kahlil☀
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

I feel like one book isn't enough. I want to get to know more of the other characters.
Christa绮思
Badet
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
In the light of the launch of it's sequel, I've recently re-read the The Mythology Class by Arnold Arre. Looking back, it was a good introduction to Graphic Novels, as a whole. I was in awe by the fact that something like this existed. A comic book about Filipinos and Philippine mythology for Filipinos. That's why I'm going to be a little bit bias with this review.

I've first read this back in Highschool, when my sister brought it home back from college. At that time, I was vaguely aware of
Jennie Elloran
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Mythology Class was first released in 1999. I was just nine years old then, and the only form of komiks I knew was the kind that sidewalk vendors lend to customers for like P3.00 per read. But I've been fascinated with Philippine mythology since I was a kid. This fascination grew enormously when I discovered its integration to the world of Pinoy komiks about five years ago.

Then, I stumbled upon The Mythology Class. As I read through the blurbs and introductions to the book, I learned that

• Elmer
  • Ang Kagila-gilalas na Pakikipagsapalaran ni Zsazsa Zaturnnah
  • Utos Ng Hari At Iba Pang Kuwento
  • Murder on Balete Drive (Trese, #1)
  • The Filipino Heroes League: Book One: Sticks and Stones (The Filipino Heroes League, #1)
  • Mass Murders (Trese, #3)
  • El Filibusterismo
  • Alternative Alamat: Stories Inspired by Philippine Mythology
  • Walong Diwata ng Pagkahulog
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Tiyanak ng Tábon (Janus Sílang, #1)
  • Dusk (Rosales Saga, #1)
  • 12 (Silent Comics)
  • The Kite of Stars and Other Stories
  • Venn Man at iba pang Kalupitan ng Kapalaran! (Kikomachine Komix, #6)
  • Midnight Tribunal (Trese, # 5)
  • Noli Me Tángere
  • Unreported Murders (Trese, #2)
  • Catch A Falling Star
Arnold Arre (born September 2, 1971 in Metro Manila, Philippines) is a Filipino comic book writer, artist and self-taught animator best known for his graphic novels The Mythology Class (1999) and Ang Mundo ni Andong Agimat (2006).

Arnold Arre has won National Book Awards from the Manila Critics Circle for his graphic novels The Mythology Class (1999), a four-part action-adventure miniseries and
“Never take things for granted. Never ignore what is obvious.” 2 likes
“Remember folks, always be careful when you're out at night! Lotsa crazee things go on out there!” 1 likes