Start by marking “The Relational Pastor: Sharing in Christ by Sharing Ourselves” as Want to Read:
The Relational Pastor: Sharing in Christ by Sharing Ourselves

The Relational Pastor: Sharing in Christ by Sharing Ourselves

One of the Academy of Parish Clergy's "Top 10 Books of 2013 for Parish Ministry"When is the last time you asked yourself hard questions about why you were pursuing certain relationships in your ministry? Could it be that the end game for many of us is not relationship per se but loyalty, adherence, even submission? The sheep in our flock become the means to our end: pastor ...more
Published March 4th 2013 by IVP Books (first published November 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Relational Pastor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Relational Pastor

Start your review of The Relational Pastor: Sharing in Christ by Sharing Ourselves
Trevor Limberg
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I underlined way too much in this book (especially considering it was a copy from my college's library - oops)! Root continues his radically moving, crucial approach of the theological turn in ministry; expanding specifically in his thoughts on vulnerability and relationships are absolutely crucial as a pastor. Having studied under one of Root's PhD students, I felt a special connection to this book as I read through the whole thing in a day and used much of it in my senior thesis on the importa ...more
Rose Schrott
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think the readability of this book is 3 stars — Root tends to be a bit repetitive and I found the structure of his argument to be a little disjointed. However, I give this book 4 stars because the idea Root is communicating is new and desperately needed. In this book he explores how ministers (he writes for clergy but the concept is for all) can focus on being with the person in a pervasive culture of individualism. While I may not re-read the book anytime soon, I do think that I will return t ...more
Dean Carroll
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Speed read as I have to return it to its owner. Some very helpful thoughts and some challenging ideas on what ‘incarnational ministry’ really is.
Stephanie
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
It was all good content and I really like Andrew Root and his theology, but the book got a little long for me. I had already read Revisting Relational Youth Ministry which I enjoyed more.
Sean Post
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Root is at least a thousand times smarter than the average person. He is clearly well-read, articulate, and intelligent. At parts, it seems that Root may stumble over his own intelligence in this book.

His thesis is clear enough and captured well in the subtitle: "sharing in Christ by sharing ourselves". He sticks with the agenda and is frequently borderline redundant in his efforts to summarize.

When I say that Root may "stumble" over his intelligence here's what I mean: The language in this bo
David Cowpar
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is such a wonderful book.

It talks about how a pastor has to think of their congregation not as individuals, fuelled by their desires in this individualistic world in which we live, but as people. People who are their relationships.

The argument goes that God did not make us to be individuals but people who are our relationships and this is most perfectly seen in the hypostatic union- Jesus as completely God but also completely man. He is the point of contact between humanity and God.

The book
James
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I wrote a rather lengthy review on my blog. Here I will just say that I've added this to my essential bibliography for pastoral ministry. Root really focuses in on the importance of personhood, relationships and the hypostatic union (are you intrigued yet?). Read my whole review at: http://thoughtsprayersandsongs.com/20... ...more
Ben Gresik
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christianity
The most inspiring parts of this book were the first and last quarters. The examples and stories told illustrate the author's point much more clearly than his language in the middle. That being said, the theology included is helpful if give sufficient time for reflection. I'd recommend to other pastors or seminary students with the encouragement to avoid stopping in the middle.
Aaron de neui
Feb 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Dissapointing. Thought it would be more practical. Seemed like many more lofty words and theological concepts that were necessary.
Joel Jackson
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This text leaves me thinking about the form that ministry should take. We certainly should be more concerned with sharing ourselves than seeking relationships just to grow the kingdom. I am pondering much right now.
Eric Clapp
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-bookshelf
A bit of overlap from Revisiting Relational Youth Ministry, but I appreciated the connections made to pastoral ministry as well. It definitely added more depth to my understanding of the pastoral role.
Mmetevelis
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting perspective. Has profound things to say about the burn out factor in clergy. Presents wonderful images, but could use more practical applications.
Jamie Pennington
While the book was not at all what I intended based upon the title and the description it was still an interesting read and I did gain some value from it.
Steve Johnson
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great principles! Pastor must move from influencing individuals to caring for the persons. I like the concept of personalism. The author does get a bit repetitive in my reading.
Michelle
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was not at all what I expected - I would invite anyone to enter into its pages setting aside expectations and leave being filled
Chris Clark
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book was good, but most of the concepts I had already read in Revisiting Relational Youth Ministry. Overall a good, and I think necessary thought provoking read for people in ministry.
Kristin Lucas
Jan 13, 2014
Mar 28, 2020
Josh Sweeney
Sep 27, 2017
Harrison Jones
rated it did not like it
Mar 26, 2019
Apr 07, 2015
Patrick Ryan
Dec 04, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Leading from the Second Chair: Serving Your Church, Fulfilling Your Role, and Realizing Your Dreams
  • Bury Your Dead (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #6)
  • Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody: The Making of a Black Theologian
  • Pray Like a Gourmet: Creative Ways to Feed Your Soul
  • The Common Rule: Habits of Purpose for an Age of Distraction
  • Neither Wolf Nor Dog: On Forgotten Roads with an Indian Elder
  • Sacred Resistance: A Practical Guide to Christian Witness and Dissent
  • A Nazareth Manifesto: Being with God
  • Injustice and the Care of Souls: Taking Oppression Seriously in Pastoral Care
  • Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • Try Softer: A Fresh Approach to Move Us out of Anxiety, Stress, and Survival Mode--and into a Life of Connection and Joy
  • Together: Our Community Cookbook
  • Learning to Speak God from Scratch: Why Sacred Words Are Vanishing-and How We Can Revive Them
  • Breathing Room: Open Your Heart by Decluttering Your Home
  • Miss Julia Takes Over (Miss Julia, #2)
  • Wizard and Warrior
  • Living Life Backward: How Ecclesiastes Teaches Us to Live in Light of the End
  • Seized by Truth: Reading the Bible as Scripture
Andrew Root joined Luther Seminary in 2005 as assistant professor of youth and family ministry. Previously he was an adjunct professor at Wesley Theological Seminary, Washington D.C., and Princeton Theological Seminary, Princeton, N.J.

Root received his bachelor of arts degree from Bethel College, St. Paul, Minn., in 1997. He earned his master of divinity (2000) and his master of theology (2001) d

News & Interviews

“The Church may have a building, but that is not its place. The building may be the church's location, but its space is in the shared humanity of its persons.” 2 likes