Start by marking “Isle of Swords (Isle of Swords, #1)” as Want to Read:
Isle of Swords (Isle of Swords, #1)

Isle of Swords

(Isle of Swords #1)

A young lad awakens on an island, alone and brutally injured, with no memory of his past.

Captain Declan Ross searched for riches that will free him and his headstrong daughter, Anne, from the piracy business forever . . . Bartholomew Thorne, an infamously ruthless pirate, seeks to destroy Ross and any who stand in his way of the legendary treasure hidden by a mysterious

Published September 9th 2007 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Isle of Swords, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Isle of Swords

Brianna Silva
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it
When I first read this book eight years ago, I absolutely loved it. I would have given it 5 stars. But it's funny... now that I'm reading it again, I can tell that it's actually not very well-written. (Technically, at least.) I know Wayne Batson has improved as an author since then... and apparently I've become a more critical reader! :)

That being said, despite the many weak points, it's still a super fun adventure story that keeps you hooked from beginning to end. This book is famous among my b
Rebecca McNutt
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Complete with ruthless pirates, the choppy waters of the salty sea and an amnesiac boy struggling to recall his own identity, Isle of Swords is a gripping, powerful adventure full of friendship and mayhem.
Stephen
1.5 to 2.0 stars. Not quite all the way to "okay" but I felt it was better than a 1 star effort so I went with two stars. I seem to disagree with most reviewers of this book so let me begin by saying that from a technical standpoint, this book is competently written and moves along at a nice pace. Additionaly, while I did not know that this was a "Christian fantasy" when I picked it up, the fact that it was didn't effect my enjoyment (or lack thereof) one way or the other.

The reason for the rel
Annie
Isle of Swords and its sequel, Isle of Fire, are separate books, but I'll be reviewing them together because reasons.  It works because I have pretty much the same feelings about both of them.  Just so you know, this review contains minorish spoilers (though I hesitate to call them spoilers because the reveals are completely predictable and I had it all figured out right away).

A few years back, I read this author's The Door Within and the rest of the trilogy.  I remember enjoying it, so I want
Kelsey Hanson
I enjoyed this book more than I expected to. There aren't very many modern books that feature pirates of the colonial era. This is a pleasant combination of Pirates of the Caribbean and Treasure Island. I do like that it fast-paced and has a fun crew to follow. The actual main characters of this book are a little bit tired. I enjoyed the secondary characters more, but it was a light enjoyable read and good enough for me to want to read the sequel.
Amy
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
I would have loved this book if I had read it in Middle School. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite enthrall me as much as an adult. I would definitely give it to a younger audience to read, but I don't think I'll ever come back.
Gillian Bronte Adams
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
Set sail on a rip roaring adventure on the high seas! From the blue Caribbean to the wild North Atlantic, follow Captain Declan Ross and the fierce (but loveable) crew of the William Wallace. Originally forced to turn to piracy, Declan Ross seeks enough wealth to leave behind the so called “sweet trade” and settle down ashore with his daughter Anne.

Anne, however, does not share her father’s desire. To top it all off, the Wallace is short of supplies, leaking water, and caught in the hunting gro
Kenzie Kathleen
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Easy to read but too boring to keep me into it. Not as good as I was hoping.
Megan
I was hesitant to read this, but it was better than I expected. If you want a rollicking, high seas adventure packed with intrigue, danger, wit, and sass, give it a shot!

What did I like? Other reviewers have said that it was predictable and that they'd figured the plot out at once. I, however, did not. And I guess all the plots. All of them. There were a few instances where the writer had used the same device before, so I knew it was coming, but for the most part I was surprised at the amount
Ferson (Jefferson)
I LOVED THIS BOOK!! Written very well, and a great Pirate story!
I love how the author put christ in it! It was just a great book (P.S. not going to do spoilers ;))

Highly Recommended!!!
Ashley Bogner
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sword fights.
Evil Villains.
Humor.
Explosions.
A hint of romance.
What more could you ask for in a novel?

I read--and loved--Batson's The Door Within , so when I saw this book, I had to try it. And Isle of Swords did not disappoint!

The characters in this book were brilliant. As with The Door Within , Batson weaves in some great friendships. We really get a sense of loyalty between Ross and his crew. I also enjoyed seeing Ross and Anne's father-daughter relationship develop. Cat was, by far, my f
Vrenith
Oct 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Declan Ross, also known as the Sea Wolf, is a well known pirate. He desperately wants to get his daughter and him out of piracy. But young Anne wants to be a pirate, and maybe even captain her own ship someday. When Declan Ross and his crew stop at a chain of islands called the Cays, Anne runs off, but returns to tell Jules, one of the crew members, about a boy she had found, whipped near death. When the boy recovers after many days in bed, he cannot remember who he is or anything of his past. A ...more
Whisper
Nov 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book and it definitely ranks among my top ten.

The story is fabulous. The book is stuffed with humor, unique and endearing characters, oceans of peril, and the whole thing is saturated in mystery. Secrets shroud the tale. However, the author meters out the answers to those secrets carefully, just enough at a time to satisfy the reader and make him/her come back for more. I have never read books that do this so well. I highly, highly recommend Isle of Swords.

Sea monsters, stan
Philip Green
Apr 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
I chose this book based on its GoodReads rating (4.2ish), but was disappointed by it. The plot jumps along quickly but spends little to know time introducing the characters or exploring their motivations. The characters are about as bland as I have ever seen (and I've read a lot of books) and the writing is nothing special. I only read about 20% of the book so maybe it improves, but I doubt it. 1.5 stars rounded down because it does not deserve its 4.2ish goodreads rating.
Abby Cashen
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Although I can't say I enjoyed the first book in his more popular series The Door Within; I really became invested in Isle of Swords.

(Read full review here.)

(Includes content advisory.)

Brian
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quite the swashbuckler! Tight, and fast-paced plot keeps the pages turning. Anne is a strong protagonist, and her friend Cat and her father Declan are also well characterized. The baddie (Thorne) is a cruel and truly awful baddie (they ARE pirates after all, but seeing how some pirates can also be decent people (forced into the "sweet trade" by terrible governments) is delightful. It has its dose of Christianity, but that is very much secondary to the plot in this book.
Stephani Austin
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an enjoyable read, it kept me coming back for more. I appreciated the interplay of the characters. There were so many fun relationships.

I also really liked the ending. Looking forward to reading the next book.
Elizabeth
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed reading this swashbuckling adventure with my kiddo.
Ann Dague
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great pirate adventure!! Reminds me a lot of the Jackie Faber series, but this story is more from the perspective of the pirates themselves.

Recommended for grade 5 and up.
Irene
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A bit of a slow start but it picked up into an exciting adventure with sea monsters, rough seas, rival pirates and treasure.
Michael Greene
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great pirates story and very clean...which you probably wouldn't find for most pirate stories. Gripping and suspenseful, this book will have you wishing for more...as it did to me!
Jessica Lindenberg
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Entertaining, interesting, a very good read!
Neil
This was a fast read for me. It moved at a good clip, it held my interest all the way through. It had good [decent] character development; I enjoyed both the primary and secondary characters interspersed throughout the story. Despite being written specifically for teenagers, I still enjoyed reading the book.

Even though it is probably considered "Christian fiction", Christianity is not the focus of the story; neither is salvation or conversion the "blatant message". Instead, it has Christians in
Corwin Lee
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So much of Pirates of Carribean in it. Great work of fiction!
Joshua
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: w-batson
A great pirate story that has action throughout with a background story that slowly begins to unfold.
(Jen) The Artist Librarian
Oct 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of seafaring adventures, quests, or Brian Jacques
(Review originally written in 2008)

Captain Declan Ross is not your typical pirate. A man of honor and integrity, he searches for the riches that will free him and his daughter from the “piracy business” forever.

Sixteen-year-old Anne Ross has sailed with her father ever since her mother’s death nearly ten years ago. Unlike her father, Anne is fascinated with the pirate’s life and the sea. So much so that she secretly longs to captain a ship of her own –a seemingly impossible dream, as her mere pr
Graham Tyler
During the time of the age of trade, England and many other world powers were fighting the on going battle with ruthless pirates who ravened the high seas. Batson brings to life the tragic life of a good man turned to piracy through a page turning adventure. In the Isle of Swords, pirate Declan Ross and his Irish crew are long for a way out of piracy. The crew of the William Wallace was abandoned by England and with no way to live turned to the sweet trade. These pirates are not blood thirsty lu ...more
Jana Faith
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, faves
Wayne
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Fans of Pirates of the Caribbean and Fans of The Door Within

Hi, Isle of Swords Readers!

Wayne Thomas Batson here. I wanted to thank all of you who put Isle of Fire on your ToBeRead list. I'm honored to be worth your time.

Isle of Fire will release the first week of September. It is available for preorder on Amazon as well. In fact, if you preorder it on Amazon and email me to tell me you have ordered it, I'll send you a signed and personalized bookplate sticker for your new book.

email me at: batguy21784@yahoo.com

Here's the official Isle of Fire blurb:

"A gr
Blake
May 24, 2011 added it
This book made me feel like I was on an adventure and I was trying to survive, which is what kept me reading this book because it had a lot of action and kept me hooked and interested. My favorite character was Bartholomew Thorne was my favorite character, only because he was a beast and cold hearted. I always seem to like the “villains”. Anne Ross was my least favorite character, because she was always getting in the way and tried to be a hero and put everyone’s life at risk. One part of the bo ...more
What do people think of Isle of Swords? 1 14 Dec 12, 2010 04:28PM
  • Enoch's Ghost (Oracles of Fire, #2)
  • Kingdom's Quest (Kingdom, #5)
  • Shadow in the Deep (Binding of the Blade #3)
  • The Secret of the Swamp King (The Wilderking Trilogy, #2)
  • To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)

Isle of Swords (3 books)
  • Isle of Fire (Isle of Swords, #2)
  • Isle of Stars (Isle of Swords #3)