Start by marking “Forged by Fate (Fate of the Gods, #1)” as Want to Read:
Forged by Fate (Fate of the Gods, #1)

Forged by Fate

(Fate of the Gods #1)

After Adam fell, God made Eve to protect the world. — Adam has pursued Eve since the dawn of creation, intent on using her power to create a new world and make himself its God. Throughout history, Eve has thwarted him, determined to protect the world and all of creation. Unknown to her, the Norse god Thor has been sent by the Council of Gods to keep her from Adam's influen ...more
Published March 5th 2013 by World Weaver Press

To ask other readers questions about Forged by Fate, please sign up.
Amalia Dillin Eileen Wiedbrauk designed the covers for all 5 Fate of the Gods titles!
(More info here: http://www.eileenwiedbrauk.com/publis... )…more
Eileen Wiedbrauk designed the covers for all 5 Fate of the Gods titles!
(More info here: http://www.eileenwiedbrauk.com/publis... )(less)

Start your review of Forged by Fate (Fate of the Gods, #1)
Trisha Leigh
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In a word...no. It's going to take more than one. Heartbreaking, imaginative, thought-provoking, and AMAZING are a few of the words I plan to use.

___

Okay, time for a full review!

I loved FORGED BY FATE. Loved. It's a beautiful, sweeping alternate history that puts on display the power of every incarnation of love, and the truth of what can be accomplished when people choose peace over strife.

I of course adored the Thor bits, but the story of creation from Eve's POV was stunningly researched and
Charity Bradford
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
How could you NOT want to read this book after that first tagline?

This was an excellent read. Dillin bounces back and forth through time to tell Eve's story. At one point I thought it might be easier to read chronologically but I believe Dillin's approach was best. It helped build tension while giving us the history needed to understand who Eve was and the importance of her life.

Forged reads like the Inciting Event of a larger story--which it is. It's the first in a series and this first book se
Tawney
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love mythology. I love the bible. This book did a great job bringing all that together through history. Eve and Thor are our main characters. We follow Eve throughout different times. Thor is an immortal who interacts with many other gods like Greek and Egyptian.

This is a great work of fiction that brings our favorite gods and goddesses together combined with Christianity elements. It is no way a religious book, so do not be hesitant to read this. All religions are featured and interact with
Emily
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Emily by: The Author herself.
Describing what I feel about this book, without resorting to spoilers - because I believe that spoiling yourself for a story like this would take away a great portion of the enjoyment which is to be found in it - seems to require me to talk about what it is, rather what it's about.

I would hesitate to describe this completely wonderful book as fantasy (when the author writes so realistically), as romance (when the romance is delightfully not the focus of the novel), or as historical (when it span
LeighAnn Kopans
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was an absolutely riveting tale. Though I would normally feel whiplash from chapters that jump centuries, the voices in this were so clear (Thor vs. Eve) and the story was so focused and compelling that I hardly felt a bump.

As a Bible geek, I thought I would do a lot of wincing. But this story was not only meticulously researched, but stunningly re-imagined. For my Jewish friends, this is the most fascinating contemporary midrash of the creation of man that I have ever read.

Even the non-bi
Samantha Heuwagen
Wow

Not expecting such an interesting and well thought out read. Very impressed and excited to move on to the next!
J.C. Andrijeski
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is actually one of the more fascinating and haunting books I’ve read in quite some time. Even the way the author rolls you into the story and characters is unusual, and kind of creeps up on you such that the entire world and its inhabitants seep into your very skin. I’m actually not usually that drawn to stories wrapped around ancient mythological characters and/or biblical figures, but this one was done in such a unique and ‘real-feeling’ way that it’s nothing like books I’ve read before t ...more
Wendy Sparrow
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
First of all, let me say that this is not, not, not religious fiction. It's every creation and deity myth interwoven into a narrative that fits history beautifully.

The story is told from two different viewpoints. Eve's point-of-view follows her along three time-lines: the time of creation, the present, and then an advancing time-line where Eve is reincarnated. The other point-of-view is Thor's, an immortal--and, yeah, that Thor--who interacts with Egyptian, Persian, Greek, and other deities.

As
✿kawehi.reviews
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-copy
What an interesting twist on Christian and mythology!! I've never come across this combination before and amazed myself by worshiping the pairing of Eve and Thor. Who would have thought?
....

In all honesty, I thought "Forged By Fate" was going to be a train wreck. I kept trying to figure out what would possess an author to make such a bold move and tweak different cultural/religious figures and beliefs and subject them into a single story line?

Luckily though for Ms. Dillin, "Forged By Fate" was a
Amy
I don't know how much more original you can get whilst playing with so much familiar.

- Fantastic writing style, great storytelling, great pacing. Not enough people know about Amalia Dillin. She's like a mix between Grace Draven and Juliet Marillier. Really talented. I hope her popularity soars as she continues to write -- I was impressed by her orc series and I was impressed by this one, too.

- Gods. Goddesses. So many gods and goddesses. Thor and Zeus. Ra and Saraswati. Baldur and Athena. They
Stacie
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This review is way overdue, People. Ridiculously overdue. (And the Most Patient Author Award goes to….Amalia Dillin!) I say that it’s overdue because a) I finished it in 2 days and b) that was awhile ago. But, the last book that I read by this author (check that out here) affected me the very same way! I finished the book quickly, but needed time to mull it over. There’s just something about the way this author writes that speaks to me on several different levels.

My very favorite subject in High
K.F.
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WhAT did I just read??????

Seriously the weirdest book I've read this year, and yet it's also the best new book/new author I've read as well. A rich blend of various pantheons come together in some of the most unique world-building fantasy I've read so far. I'm intrigued without being too sketched out, and the writing is so solid you could use it as a step stool. Well-fleshed-out characters that have clear motivations and wishes, non-awkward romantic/sex scenes, Innovative use of cultural researc
Yashari Glenn
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Made for a good story

Can't wait to read the next book. I love a good story. I'm wondering how the author is going to weave these gods together.
Kevin
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forged by Fate is a novel that deftly weaves together the pantheon of gods from around the world, and weaves the around a central pillar of Christian beliefs in a way that everything makes sense and feels right. Thor falls in love with Eve and pals around with Ra and Athena and none of that feels weird when you're reading it.
The book deals with three different timelines and switched between them well to keep the reader apprised of what's going on in each regularly and not losing interest in any
Rebecca
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely breathtaking. An imagination so new and refreshing has created such a detailed and beautifully complex world of gods and mortals.

It is an elegant roller coaster of myth, legend, love and indeed life that spans across all pantheons old and current. A tale that connects through different lives, histories, cultures and indeed time.

Amalia shows greath depth with grace as her vast cast of characters introduces the reader to something new, something familiar and something magical within eac
Kevin Kanellakis
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was a wonderful weaving of the different mythologies from human history. It's abundantly clear that Ms. Dillin knows her mythology inside and out, and she does an excellent job guiding the reader through them.

If you're a hardcore Christian, this is not the book for you. The basic premise of the book can be boiled down to, "What if ALL the Gods are real?" I loved this premise, and though the plot focuses on the development of Eve and Thor more than anything else, my favorite bits were s
Karen
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok I have to admit. As a friend of the author, I tried to read this book 2 years ago and I couldn't even get through the first two chapters. I really, really didn't like it. I wanted to strangle every single character. So when I picked it up this time, it was with some misgivings, but since she got it published, I was gonna do my darnedest to give it a go!

Boy am I glad I did!! What an improvement. I was hooked from the very beginning. Every single character in this is now so real, I felt like I
beepbop
"And as long as she lives, as long as she thinks of me with fondness and the memory of our life together brings her comfort, I will honor her for it. I will love her above all else in this world and the next. And there is nothing you can do stop it." - Thor

The sweetest quote I've come across in this book yet. And I'm only at 66%!

Edit-
Wow..just wow. At first it took me a while to warm up to Dillin's writing but after you get past the way she jumped within "Creation", "B.C" and "Present" eras, i
Diana Paz
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much. The mythology is incredible, the gods and goddesses feel so real, the world itself was amazing and unique, mixing both history and mythology in a seamless, believable way that left me enthralled from the first page to the last! The story's design made reading about the different timelines incredibly fascinating and I was constantly on the edge of my seat, waiting to see what happened and how everything tied together. I love this book SO much, I recommend it wholehearted ...more
Danyka
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
Forged by Fate knew where to push my soft buttons. And also I'm a huge sucker for Mythologies and this book really sated me! - I mean it, very much. It landed on my favorite list.

The book was so good, it's great on itself. Every cast was fully 'furnished' even to the little things. Every riddle will make you think and solve it by yourself. The twists and turns turned my brain on.

Thor became my favorite Norse God because of this. His passion, faithfulness and love for Eve was breathtaking. Adam w
Elesha
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this start to the series. It's hard to give a firm opinion on the whole story since it continues in the next book. What I love is the different pantheons and how they live together and interact. Anything with gods and goddesses has me hooked immediately. I was leery about Adam and Eve because I don't follow that faith and worried it would be too religious. It definitely wasn't. Amalia takes a whole new twist on the Adam and Eve myth that is fascinating!
I recommend this book to a
Aven
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, historical
I really enjoyed this -- although it's not necessarily a genre I would automatically pick up. The re-imagining of the pantheons is consistent and thoughtful, and the characters of the gods are 'authentic' enough not to annoy a pedant like me, while 'human' enough to be engaging and emotionally affecting. I definitely ended up wanting to know more about the main characters and the various mysteries of the backstory, so I look forward to the rest of the series. A very good read. :)
J.C.
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Forged by Fate was a beautifully crafted story which follows two point-of-view characters in three timelines. Usually, stories which jump back and forth through time can feel very disjointed; but in this case, each timeline added intrigue to the next. The world building is spectacular, with a unique take on biblical stories and other mythologies.
Peter Hawkeye
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly entertaining new perspective delivered by the imaginative, talented writer of this publication.
Tracey
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This author is fast becoming a favourite of mine and I absolutely loved this refreshing twist on the story of Adam and Eve.

Amalia Dillin builds a world where ALL Gods exist and interact with each other. The story follows the constantly reborn, Eve and flicks around between present day and creation with an additional thread told through the eyes of Thor as he protects her through her many lifetimes.

Forged by Fate is the first in the trilogy and I can't wait to read more.
Susan Commeford
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating

This book has a very interesting premise. The blend of cultures and beliefs was fascinating. I am curious to see where it goes next.
Rick Cook
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Forged by Fate has an interesting premise that pits Western Religion’s Adam and Eve against each other instead of being together forever. You could say it takes the concept of Original Sin to an extreme in order to establish its origins. Every other pantheon of gods exist, too: Zeus, Ares, Odin, Ra, Bhagava, Loki, Athena, Hermes, you name it they’re in this story in some capacity. It is the story of the rise and fall of civilizations, of gods and angels, of pride and grief.

The main characters in
Elsa Carrion
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different twist to the Adam and Eve story.
There are three stories simultaneously being told, creation, past, which is after creation but before the present and present, they all include Eve in some way since she is the MC. Yes, it sound confusing and a little frustration in the beginning, but after a few chapters it starts clicking.
I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading the second book. If you like mythology this book has several different gods.

Kayla Beck
Review originally posted on Bibliophilia, Please.

I was quite excited to be approached by Amalia Dillin about reviewing her debut novel, Forged by Fate , because I've known her on Twitter for several years and remember her talking about writing this book. Though I generally have doubts about reading the books of people that I know and enjoy, it was not so in this case. I've been reading her blog for years, and she's done a great deal of research on Thor and other gods. Research is king wit
Natalie Norwood
Where to start, where to start?

Honestly, when I first read the blurb for this book, I was cautious. Amalia is a friend and I wanted to support her, but it didn’t sound like anything I’d normally read. I love history and mythology, but anyone who knows me knows I am not a huge fan of Christianity. I was concerned this book was going to be super religious in nature.

I’m glad to say that all of my fears were unfounded. By the end of chapter one, I was hooked. Eve is an amazing character—she is mothe
« previous 1 3 next »

• By Helen's Hand (Helen of Sparta #2)
  • The Rise of Magicks (Chronicles of The One, #3)
  • Helen of Sparta (Helen of Sparta #1)
  • Heroides
  • The Drunken Botanist: The Plants That Create the World's Great Drinks
  • A Thousand Perfect Notes
  • Ariadne and the Beast: A Short Story
  • The First Midnight Spell (Spellcaster #0.5)
  • Cursed
  • Seedfolks
  • A Different Blue
  • Shadowsong (Wintersong, #2)
  • Tamer of Horses
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
  • Daughter of Time (After Cilmeri, #0.5)
  • Long Shadows (A Mike Travis Paranormal Investigation Book 2)
  • Neutral (Curse of the Gods #4.5)
  • Everafter Song (The Evermore Chronicles #3)
Amalia Dillin began as a Biology major before taking Latin and falling in love with old heroes and older gods. After that, she couldn't stop writing about them, with the occasional break for more contemporary subjects. She lives in upstate New York with her husband, and dreams of the day when she will own goats--to pull her chariot through the sky, of course.

Amalia is the author of the Fate of th

Fate of the Gods (6 books)
  • Tempting Fate (Fate of the Gods, #1.5)
  • Fate Forgotten (Fate of the Gods, #2)
  • Taming Fate (Fate of the Gods, #2.5)
  • Facets of Fate (Fate of the Gods, #3.5)
  • Beyond Fate (Fate of the Gods, #3)

News & Interviews

“And as long as she lives, as long as she thinks of me with fondness and the memory of our life together brings her comfort, I will honor her for it. I will love her above all else in this world and the next. And there is nothing you can do to stop it” 5 likes