Start by marking “The Cow That Went OINK” as Want to Read:
The Cow That Went OINK

The Cow That Went OINK

A cow that oinks and a pig that moos are ridiculed by the other barnyard animals until each teaches the other a new sound.
Published September 1st 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published September 12th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Cow That Went OINK, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cow That Went OINK

Karen
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For Valentine's Day one year, I painted a big shipping box to look like a barn and put in it a plush cow and a pig and this book, and gave it to my then two-year-old son. Weird -- yeah, maybe. Smart -- yeah, definitely. He likes the toys and the book, and all of his farm animals are now housed in the barn box.

I first encountered this book in its oversized version when my friend and former colleague, Louise N., were looking for books for Reader's Theatre. We found this book, and since we already
Becky B
On the farm there's a cow that goes oink and a pig that goes moo. They get laughed at by all the other animals until they teach each other the sound they're supposed to make.

This could be a good book for second language learners. The pig and the cow essentially teach each other to be bilingual. There's also a lot of fun onomatopoeia in the book for language teachers. And little ones learning the noises animals make will find a plethora of animals making noises in here.
Mandy Couch
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked this book due to the fact of all the noises that children can make to go along with this book. This book teaches, teamwork, respect, and also social and emotional issues. I feel this concepts are very important to implement in young children so that they understand how important it is to show respect, help out others, never make fun of or judge someone and how to express their feelings. I feel this book goes hand in hand with each of these topics.

Activity:
I would give the children a buck
Darin Johnston
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
As the title implies, we have a cow, when she speaks, say "oink" instead of "moo", but to her chagrin! She's teases by the other animals of the barnyard until she meets a pig that say says "moo" instead of "oink". The pig is teased by the same barnyard animals, until they team up together to teach each other the "correct" sound. Then, they can speak both, and get the last laugh!

4 1/2 stars because of the topic of fitting in, teasing someone who doesn't fit in, and overcoming the obstacles that a
Emily
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
From Bernard Most, famous for his dinosaur picture books, is a picture book about farm animals, particularly a cow that goes OINK. That cow is all alone, sad, and embarrassed, because all the other animals laugh at her for not knowing how to "moo." They laugh in fun variations on animal sounds, like Moo-Ha, Hee-Haw-Ha, or Bow-Wow-Ha. Illustrated in greens and browns and yellows, good farm colors, the story teaches a lesson about how two outsiders (the other being a pig that can only say "moo") c ...more
Eugenia
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel-buku-anak
Ini bukunya lucu sangat, loh! Bahkan ketika membaca judul dan sinopsisnya udah bikin tertawa. Idenya nampak konyol.
Jadi ceritanya di sebuah peternakan, ada seekor sapi yang bersuara "Oink." Tentu saja dia selalu ditertawakan hewan-hewan lain. Di sisi lain, ada juga seekor babi yang hanya bisa bersuara, "Moo." Ia pun bernasib sama seperti si sapi.

Meski sudah bisa ditebak bahwa mereka akan saling membantu agar bisa bersuara dengan tepat, yang membuat cerita ini menarik adalah bagaimana penulis me
Maddie
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A story about a silly cow who says oink, and how the other cows and animals on the farm made such fun of the mixed up animal. One day she hears a friendly moo coming from a pig! The pig takes the cow back to her family that was always laughing at the mixed up pig, the same way the cow was. The two outcasted friends decide to teach each other how to make each others sounds. The cow and the pig get unmixed up and feel truly happy relishing in their amazing ability to be the only animal who could s ...more
Kate*
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book as a child. I still have my original hardback one, but I bought my kids a new paperback one, too. I think I like it so much because the cow & pig could do something unexpected & then they learned to do something that everyone thought they couldn’t do & ended up knowing how to do more than just one thing. It teaches kids how others feels when you make fun of them or laugh at them & it teaches them that to learn something new you have to work hard & ke ...more
Marisa Severin
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Although the illustrations were captivating and the sentences were simple, I didn't really enjoy this book. I didn't like the plot. I didn't like the idea that the two animals who were different were being laughed at.
Amanda
Another funny book about a confused cow. Simplistic, may be better for my toddlers. Also, I won't use in tandem with the other Most cow book - they are very similar, and my kiddos seemed a little bored.
Julie
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The animal laughs were kind of awkward to sound out but Colin enjoyed it.
I'm not a fan of the illustration style, but the simple text and nice message get 3 stars.
Casandria
Shelves: _rylee
1/21/18 recording at Nanna and Poppa's
Ms. Jeane
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just love this book! It's just delightful and super for to try and readaloud to children!
Madeline Feldman
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Cow That Went OINK is a heartwarming book about accepting yourself as you are, and learning that being different from the crowd is okay. The book begins with a cow who can only say OINK, not MOO like the other cows, and because of this he is isolated from the other cows. Soon after, he meets a pig who can only say MOO, which isolates him from the other pigs at the farm as well. During the course of the story, the cow and pig become friends and after many trials and failed attempts, finally t ...more
Carol
Oct 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Carol by: Helena brought it home from the library
Shelves: childrens
Four and a half stars really!

Helena brought this home from her school library. It is really a charming tale about a cow that can only oink and a pig that can only moo. The other animals on the farm laugh at them, so the cow teaches the pig to oink and the pig teaches the cow to moo. They become the only two on the farm that can speak more than one language!

The pictures are straight forward and plain, just as they need to be. Rhu (the toddler) LOVES it for all the animal sounds he gets to hear a
Kelsey Vayens
I really enjoyed reading this book. The Cow That Went OINK is a picture book that describes the frustrations of a cow who unlike the other cows can not moo. Instead he can only oink, and because of that, he is seen differently. He then meets a pig that couldn't oink and could only moo, and from there, they help each other in learning how to moo and oink. This book is something young children could definitely relate to. Sometimes we often find ourselves not fitting in with others because we may b ...more
Risa
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: onomatopoeia
Children will enjoy listening and trying out the sounds in this book. The genre of this book is onomatopoeia. When children are exposed to this kind of rich literary experience, they are able to practice new sounds of the alphabet and build the confidence that they need to be readers that enjoy reading. This is also a story about an unexpected friendship. These two unlikely friends enjoy a learning experience together so that they are now the smartest animals around, (and still the silliest!)

Ext
Lea
Sep 03, 2014 added it
In this story, a cow gets made fun of because she can only say "OINK" instead of "MOO". She gets teased by all of the other farm animals, but one day hears a friendly "MOO". But instead of it being from a fellow cow, it is from a pig who cannot say "OINK". These animals befriend each other and teach the other to be able to say their words. Pretty soon, both animals can say "OINK" and "MOO" and tease the others on the farm for not being able to say more than one word.

This books is meant to teach
Kristin
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun story for young readers about silly barnyard animals. My kid loved this and I didn't mind reading it over again.
Crystal
Sep 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Jennie Park
Feb 13, 2011 added it
Shelves: fiction
This is a very easy read that younger elementary students will enjoy! The story is about a pig who "moo's" and a cow who "oink's" and how they are made fun of because they don't make the proper animal noises like they are supposed to. The pig and the cow then both decide to teach each other how to make one another's sound. The two animals have the last laugh in the end when they are the only animals who can make two different animal noises. We could use this story to compare it to people who are ...more
Eva Kelly
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is about what happens when a cow says OINK and a pig says MOO, and it's not what you think. It's funny, but also sad, because all the other animals make fun of them.
But you know what? They teach each other how to speak the right languages and now they can speak TWO languages. And you know, that could be really useful when they need to talk to other animals. They could be interpreters.
So I think the other animals were just jealous, and maybe instead of making fun they should've tried
Mandy Sue
Feb 20, 2010 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 3-7 year olds
Recommended to Mandy Sue by: Library
This is an adorable story about a cow that speaks pig, and a pig that speaks cow. Unfortunately the other farm animals make fun of them, so they help each other to speak their proper language and end up with the last laugh.

An excellent book to teach your children why it's not okay to judge those who are different from us.

Also, an easy beginner reader that my first grader enjoyed reading to his brother.
Mary Sesar
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was about cow that oinked and always got laughed at by all the other animals. He runs into a pig that moo'd and they teach each other how to moo and oink. When they finally learned they showed the other animals how happy they were that not only could they do what they were supposed to be able to do, but they could make another noise also.
I would use this to show children that people may do things they can't help and that they shouldn't be made fun of because of it.
Kristina
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: farm, silly, fun
Satin
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! In this story there was a cow that went OINK! Being that she couldnt say MOO the other animal, especially the cows constantly laughed at her. After many lonely days the cow, meets a pig that MOO! The two work together to teach each other the proper sound they should make. I enjoyed the story, but I absolutley loved the wy the animals laughed throughout the story ( rooster= cock-a-doodle-ha, turkey= gobble-ha, hee-haw-ha= donkey)
Miss Sarah
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cows, pigs
a cow that oink and pig that can moo become friends when all the other animals on the farm make fun of them. They teach one another to make the other's sound. How will the other animals react? really liked the friendship that emerged against the teasing of other animals. Cute but speech bubbles and length gear it toward preschool.
  • Maybe a Bear Ate It!
  • Fall Leaves Fall!
  • The Very Lazy Ladybug Pop-Up
  • Sheep in a Shop
  • Silly Little Goose!
Bernard Most is an author of children's books, especially books about dinosaurs. He lives in Westchester County, New York with his wife, two cats, and many fish.