Start by marking “Fallen Hopes, Taken Dreams” as Want to Read:
Fallen Hopes, Taken Dreams

Fallen Hopes, Taken Dreams

Real people. Real suffering. Real hate.

An emotionally gripping, brutally invasive tale of four young Native Americans wrongly committed to our nation's only Indian insane asylum during the 1920s.

This powerful narrative is unputdownable, unforgettable, and an unbelievable combination of drama, conflict, and romance.

Gathered from true events in the records of the Sout
Published August 23rd 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published June 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fallen Hopes, Taken Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fallen Hopes, Taken Dreams

Start your review of Fallen Hopes, Taken Dreams
Deborah aka Reading Mom
I received this via the First Reads program and was eager to learn more about a period of American history that was unfamiliar to me.

I have read about the forced boarding of Indian students in schools designed to rid them of their heritage, culture, and language, but had no knowledge of the insane asylums under the auspices of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. These were cruel, inhumane institutions--a blight on the history of this country. Even though Fallen Hopes, Taken Dreams is a fi
Kimber Burnett
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a first read from goodreads!!

A frustrating story of tremendous injustice and prejudice against Native Americans. Institutionalized and labeled as mentally ill, the Canton Indian insane asylum houses many-some don't belong there. Victims of abuse and neglect, Mana and Tesqua forge a friendship and a plan...

Great book
Ashley Carr
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an unbelievable combination of drama, conflict and romance. I couldn't put this one down. The author makes you feel like you are inside a terrible place where terrible things happen to innocent people. The relationship between Mana and Evey tugged at my heart strings. It's hard to fathom that people could be so cruel. This one definitely blurs the line between fact and fiction.
Elaine Waldron
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an excruciatingly painful account of how cruelly Native Americans were treated by the strangers that had invaded their homeland. The novel is set in an Indian Insane Asylum and the poor souls that have been committed there will steal your heart and make you cry.
Dianne McMahan
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Lee
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book is a treasure trove of history, with an up-close account of an insane asylum in the early 1900s. What really is the center of the story is the unjust imprisonment of several native american indians. They are experimented on with electric shock treatment and drugged constantly, never able to leave the grounds of the institution. It's a shocking story as unscrupulous orderlies and doctors do unimaginable things to the women and men and sometimes children kept here. Because the india ...more
Sharon
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one intense read! It’s a credit to the author that at times it’s difficult to believe that this is a work of fiction, that doesn’t mean that nothing like this ever happened, as most people shall readily recognize the Native American Indians were treated harshly and unfairly on many occasions. This book is intense and shines a spotlight on a part of history that a lot of people may find uncomfortable and so they choose to ignore it. I highly recommend this book to everyone, it’s really we ...more
Susan
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not for the faint of heart. This story is a gut-twister, evoking anger at man’s inhumanity to his fellow man. The story must be told, but it is also depressing how some will brutalize others that are powerless to retaliate, just because they can. It is a far reaching scenario that plays out in many areas and levels of society, those who disbelieve, those who can not see the truth of the situation, and those who discern the truth but are too afraid of either landing in the same situation or losin ...more
Carol Ann
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story was written to reflect the terrible circumstances of this Native American mental health institution. Personally I found this story very difficult to read and I found it not a story I wanted to continue reading because of the terrible bad treatment these people experienced and extremely poor medical procedures made me cringe. The story was written well and the story needs to be told and remembered but this is not the type of book I care to use as entertainment. The ending left me with ...more
Sandy
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very powerful book so many people do not understand what the Native Americans went through. From the schools setting out to destroy their culture to the institution in this story, these people were treated in horrible ways. The book is honest and will open your eyes to a very forgot piece of history. This is not a sugar-coated piece and I highly recommend this book to those that want to understand and learn about this time in history. I did receive a free copy of this book and voluntar ...more
Pat Eroh
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is possibly the best book covering this aspect of our history that I have ever read. I am Cherokee myself and am always seeking information on the plight of the Native American both in history and today. I love the information in this book and thank the author for sharing it.

Grey
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this book broken my heart and educated me, because after I was done reading, I looked up the Canton Indian Insane Asylum, and to my horror, it was a real place. That said, Dr. Silk was a real person and saved the patients.
Sherry
Jul 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Sometimes difficult to read because of its brutal honesty, Fallen Hopes, Taken Dreams illustrates a tragic, yet important, chapter in American history regarding the horrific treatment of Native Americans and the eradication of their culture. The novel centers around Tesqua, an Apache, who has been sent to the Canton Insane Asylum after being convicted of violent behavior. There he befriends other Native Americans, some genuinely mentally ill while others have been falsely placed there.
The asy
Cathy Grulik
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the story of 4 young Native Americans trapped inside an insane asylum during the 1920s. Tesqua, Mana, Evey and Sam were all placed there for different reasons and had been there for varying lengths of time. Tesqua rises as a pillar of strength to defy the brutal treatment from some of the asylum's despicable staff. There were times you couldn't help but weep for these people. There were those staff (a doctor and a nurse) that genuinely cared about the Indians locked away in there, but th ...more
Teresa
My rating: 4.5 stars out of 5.

I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that I really enjoyed this book, given the dark subject matter. Set in the 1920's, it tells the story of young, mentally healthy Native Americans who are locked up against their will in the Canton Insane Asylum.

The positives: I loved the plot of the book and the many twists and turns it took me on as a reader. The story of Tesqua, Mana, Evey and the people tasked with looking after their well-being is a truly
Gidget Jordan
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book through the first reads giveaway.

I always pick up the wrong books to read when i have available time at work. I had a lot of trouble putting it down but when you work in the public you can't be seen reading and crying or people will never understand.

I cried quite a bit. I had a little trouble with some of the writers transitions, just a bit to harsh sometimes. But maybe that's for the best as getting sucked into a book is never good for one's job.
I got home and
Rebecca Hughes
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received a copy of this book in the goodreads giveaway. This book is one of the best books I have read in a long time!! So realistic that I am still not exactly sure how much of this book is fiction. I had to check several times to see that I was reading a fictional novel. I am almost certain that some of the events were probably true events. It is a tragic story of an Indian insane asylum that not only houses the insane but any Indian that might somehow have been viewed as a problem to someon ...more
Michelle
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It was difficult to read at times, but also eye-opening.

It's the terrifying tale of young Native Americans who are forcefully and wrongfully committed to an Insane Asylum.

It's terrifying as it was derived from actual crimes against Native Americans, but it has moments of love, insight and suspense.

An important book because it's just one of the many atrocities done to the native people of our country that we are never taught in school.

*won from goodreads
Alana
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
Took me a long time to get into this book, it was not what I was expecting I guess.
How the main character ends up being admitted to the asylum is confusing if you are unaware of the fact that people can be held in there for little or no reason.
I enjoyed the characters of Mana(Charley) and Grano(Harold), much more than the story of the main character Tesqua(Jimmy).
Was not a bad book, just not a book for me.
Rachel Naughton
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I got this on a friend's recommendation and I'm really glad I did. At times it was funny, but mostly it was heart-wrenching. The terrible things these people endured stays with you. The entire time I was reading I pictured this story being played out on the big screen. If you're a fan of Native American reading, you have to read this book. Not so much because it's a romance of a different kind, but because it's unforgettable.
Jenny Carter
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I must say this is an excellent book that does not follow any standard fictional formula. The characters are very well developed and the plot holds you in its grip. One can only wonder what really happened in that terrible place. This is one book that's definitely worth its price. If you like Native American books, read this one!
Dawn
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am grateful to have won this very interesting book. It was definitely a page turner. I found myself caring about the patients and rooting for them to win. It is unfortunate that people were actually treated this way. Well written J.M. Barlog!
Chantal
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Received a free copy of this book. It's a story that needed to be told and reminds me a lot of the stories of the residential schools in Canada. It shows that despite the horrors, you can't lose faith in all of humanity and must remain hopeful.
Darcee Kraus
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
An emotionally powerful tale of native hardship. Parts of this novel hurt me deeply and yet other parts left me stunned, speechless even. I would definitely recommend this novel.
Shelley
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
The proofreading must have been a little spotty (self-published) and some parts were a little confusing to figure out what was happening with who, but this was a an easy and good educational read.
Sue

• Her Last Promise
  • The Shadow of Celene
  • Oona
  • Winter Cottage
  • Muraco (Crow Nation Book 2)
  • Spring House
  • The Broken Circle: A Memoir of Escaping Afghanistan
  • Lavender Road (Lavender Road #1)
  • Charleston's Daughter (The Low Country Series Book 1)
  • Magnolia Nights
  • Miracles: 32 True Stories
  • When Crickets Cry
  • The Halloween Haunting: A Cozy Mystery (A Tess and Tilly Cozy Mystery Book 7)
  • The Forgotten Village
  • TAME THE SAVAGE HEART
  • The Life List
  • The Throwback
  • Yesterday's Tears (A Slip in Time #1)
Barlog grew up in Chicago before serving in Vietnam with the U.S. Air Force.

He has authored numerous novels across many genres. Windows to the Soul, his debut novel, won the Readers' Choice award for suspense at an Illinois 'Love Is Murder' Mystery Conference.

But his greatest accomplishments are his three children and his grandchildren.

Barlog currently lives with his wife in Southern California