Start by marking “Summoning the Mountains: Pilgrimage Into Forty” as Want to Read:
Summoning the Mountains: Pilgrimage Into Forty

Summoning the Mountains: Pilgrimage Into Forty

Hoping to rekindle the spirit of freedom she once knew, a divorced, single mother sets aside family and society's expectations to seek fulfillment by following a lifelong calling. On the eve of turning forty, Amy reaches for her personal goal of hiking the Appalachian Trail. Accepting the name of "Willow" bestowed by her teenage sons, she settles them into new lives at the ...more
Published September 28th 2012 by Saille Productions, an Imprint of Wyatt-MacKenzie

To ask other readers questions about Summoning the Mountains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summoning the Mountains

Start your review of Summoning the Mountains: Pilgrimage Into Forty
Nancy Werking Poling
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The image of black balloons with “Over the hill” printed on them didn’t deter Amy Allen. Instead the anticipation of turning forty inspired her to go over mountains. She set for herself the ambitious goal of hiking the entire length of the Appalachian Trail. Alone.

Now, I’m only good for a three–hour hike, four hours at the most, so I didn’t read her memoir, Summoning the Mountains, as preparation for setting a similar goal. I read it for the pleasure of getting caught up vicariously in an experi
Deb
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting read for me as Amy, the author, helped me buy my first hiking boots when we were in Black Mountain, NC a few weeks ago. I cannot imagine doing this journey! Hats off to all who have ever did the AT!
Ann
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful language and the story is amazing. While reading Summoning The Mountains, I came to understand we all have journeys we must take. This book speaks to all women and men. Take your journey. This book will stay on my shelves and be reread many times.
Paul
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very easy read and enjoyable story of someone finding how strong they really are. The real changes of the trail are softened but it’s fun the to share her observation and growth she experiences. Not necessarily a how to book but clearly shows how one can grow emotionally through physical challenges. Strong.y recommend for this who are really comfortable with themselves.
Lisa Workman
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Lee
Jun 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Amy's book is good. If you are interested in what it would be like to plan and then undertake the huge trek of the Appalachian Trail, you will like it.

Amy's style is informal and conversational. It's written like a series of journal entries with dates and locations, but it could have used a more particular editor, in my opinion. I particularly liked her perspective as a parent and a woman. Hiking solo is a different matter altogether for women, especially women with children. Great story of one
Arriel
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amy was refreshingly honest and open about the harsh reality and raw beauty of the AT. Hiking the AT has been my dream for years ever since hiking Springer and Blood Mountain while living in GA. It was an interesting and entertaining read. If you love hiking, etc. you should definitely read this book.
Jul 08, 2015
added it
Aug 13, 2014
Kimberly Hicks
Apr 26, 2015

• Third Watch (Tracy Crosswhite, #0.5)
  • Honeysuckle Season
  • Think Like a Cat: How to Raise a Well-Adjusted Cat—Not a Sour Puss
  • Blood Lines (D.I. Kim Stone, #5)
  • Art Journal Freedom: How to Journal Creatively with Color & Composition
  • Old Man on a Bicycle: A Ride Across America and How to Realize a More Enjoyable Old Age
  • The Truth About the RV Life
  • Broken Grace
  • A Widow's Walk Off-Grid to Self-Reliance: An Inspiring, True Story of Courage and Determination
  • Sabbats: A Witch's Approach to Living the Old Ways
  • Crafting a Daily Practice: A Simple Course on Self-Commitment
  • My House Has Wheels
  • The Witch's Book of Self-Care: Magical Ways to Pamper, Soothe, and Care for Your Body and Spirit
  • My Husband's Secret
  • Leave Well Alone
  • The Perfect Neighbor (Jessie Hunt #9)
  • Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
  • Summer