Start by marking “Lead Your Family Like Jesus: Powerful Parenting Principles from the Creator of Families” as Want to Read:

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  125 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Does your family need a five-star general at the helm? A psychologist? A referee? Ken Blanchard, best-selling co-author of The One Minute Manager and Lead Like Jesus, points to a better role model: the Son of God. Joined by veteran parents and authors Phil Hodges and Tricia Goyer, renowned business mentor Blanchard shows how every family member benefits when parents take t ...more
Published March 1st 2013 by Focus (first published September 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Lead Your Family Like Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lead Your Family Like Jesus

Renee
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devotional
I don’t have kids of my own, but after twenty-five years of observing family dynamics from behind my teacher’s desk, I’d have to say that parenting is the hardest job in the world. At our Christian high school, we dedicate ourselves to coming alongside parents as they seek to lead their children to Christ, guide their character development, and prepare them for life. So I’ll be sharing my copy of Lead Your Family Like Jesus with as many parents as possible.

I discovered this book as part of ins
Malory
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Why is a single gal like her reading a book for parents in leading their families?"

Good question. I wanted to read the book for a few different reasons. I wanted to read, learn, and see how this book could help me in the areas of:

1. my own personal family. I am an aunt to three, sister, and daughter.

2. my job since I work with children.

3. my ministry since I work with our youth.

Let me tell y'all...this book is AWESOME!!! (And, I am so not just saying that either!) The authors put in a lot of g
Jennifer Dyer
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After I read the first page of Lead Your Family Like Jesus (LYFLJ) I had to grab a pencil. I wanted to study this book, not just read it. I appreciate how the three authors bring decades of parenting, grandparenting, and business leadership experience to the pages of this book.

LYFLJ is one of those books I will refer to often throughout my life, applying its principles in the situations life throws at me. If I had to tell you about LYFLJ in two words, I'd say, "Servant leadership."

If you want to
Andrew
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In Lead Your Family Like Jesus, Ken Blanchard, Phil Hodges, and Tricia Goyer have collaborated on the principles of how to lead and parent your family. The book covered 12 important principles to impact your family for the glory of God. For example, some of these included, “Saying No to EGO”, “An Audience of One”, “Family Values”, “For a Limited Time Only”, “Teaching to the Test”, and much more. Leading your family requires serving one another, providing unconditional love to each family member, ...more
Marcy
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
According to Noah Webster's 1828 Dictionary, the definition of the word lead includes the following:

To guide by the hand; as, to lead a child. It often includes the sense of drawing as well as of directing.
To go before and show the way.
To conduct, as a chief or commander, implying authority; to direct and govern; as, a general leads his troops to battle and to victory.

As parents, it is our God-given responsibility to guide our children by the hand, draw them into a relationship with Jesus, go be
Jalynn Patterson
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
About the Book:

Powerful Parenting Principles from the Creator of Families

(Focus on the Family/Tyndale) - Does your family need a five-star general at the helm? A psychologist? A referee? Ken Blanchard, best-selling co-author of The One Minute Manager and Lead Like Jesus, points to a better role model: the Son of God. Joined by veteran parents and authors Phil Hodges and Tricia Goyer, renowned business mentor Blanchard shows how every family member benefits when parents take the reins as servant-
Lead Your Family Like Jesus began not in an ordinary way but in an extraordinary way. Leading our famlies is a burden that should be shared with Jesus, and for Him to lead us. We are to allow Him to lead us and our families in such a way that we glorify Him.
what an exhilarating parenting book to read. it was encouraging. Children are a gift from the Lord, and we are to pass on what is eternal to them.
Four sections are in the book:

The Heart: talking about how the heart, is very specific for
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
ISBN: 978-1589977204
Genre: Parenting

Lindsey Silvestrini
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was so incredibly helpful I literally felt a weight lifted after reading Lead Your Family Like Jesus. Three authors with different perspectives came together to create one cohesive book that is both inspirational and informative.

As Christians, everything we do in our life should glorify God, including parenting. How many people have you heard say they wish their was a parenting instruction manual? There is! It’s called the Bible and Ken Blanchard, Phil Hodges and Tricia Goyer used this
Athena Langworthy
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lead Your Family Like Jesus is a must-read for parents, grandparents, and anyone with children in their lives! This book impacted me greatly. To give you an example of how it impacted me, I have NEVER written, underlined, or highlighted in a book-it just has always seemed wrong. So when I started reading, I had a notepad to take notes. I found I was taking SO MANY notes that I decided to underline (in ink even!) important parts I wanted to remember. This is big for me. So my copy of Lead Your Fa ...more
Jill
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Parenting. Frustrating and fulfilling. Heart-wrenching and mind-boggling. Especially if you look at all of the parenting books filled with advice, some of which contradicts each other. But what if all you needed to do to parent well was to lead like Jesus did?

A new “Focus on the Family” book, “Lead Your Family Like Jesus” is filled with wisdom from Ken Blanchard, co-author of The One Minute Manager; Phil Hodges, a lifelong friend of Blanchard and former human resources and industrial relations m
Michele
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
How do we become the parents that not only teach their children Biblical truths, but model them as well. When I started reading Lead Your Family Like Jesus, I was struck with that thought. How do we teach these principles, how do we show what a servant heart is like? How do we show our children what it is to serve joyfully serve as Jesus did while he was here on earth? How do we bring our children up to love Jesus?

These three authors share four important steps that will help us not only love Jes
Susan Stitch
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for any parents who still have children at home!

It is divided into four components -- Heart, Head, Hands, and Habits. In each section, each of the authors discusses the component based on his or her background and position in life. They each open up their hearts to share stories pertinent to the section, and their examples are wonderful opportunities to learn and reflect.

Each component is Biblically strong and includes examples of how Jesus used these components in his minis
Lisa Marie
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I found reading this book a challenge.

Not because of the writing style, or the topic, or even the point of view. I found it hard to read because page after page filled me with conviction of the things I should be doing with my parenting choices and skills and family that I haven't been so far.

Using the combined experiences and knowledge of authors Ken Blanchard, Phil Hodges, and Tricia Goyer, this book hits you bang on with the challenge to use Jesus as the role model for our experiences as pa
Jessica
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non
At first, I thought, while good, there wasn't really much 'new' or 'revolutionary' inside. I have read a ton of parenting books over the past 8 years, always trying to hone my skills and figure this thing out. I kept reading however, and I am SO glad I did.

Over the past several months, I have been trying to steer us from an authoritarian, "you must obey because I'm your parent" style of parenting to a more grace based, Jesus like, relationships are more important than blind obedience, grace fill
Beverly Lytle
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What does it mean to lead? How do I lead effectively? How do I get my children to follow my leading? Parenting is filled with questions. Want to take the guess work out of finding the answers? This is a book filled with practical suggestions for ways to lead your family the way the creator of the family meant for it to be done.
Using Biblical principles, Tricia Goyer, Ken Blanchard, and Phil Hodges take turns sharing from their hearts and their experiences about how parents can turn their familie
Jason
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book , it is a quick read , but definitely one to have close by to look back through .I like the concept of parenting using Christian influence . I should say my family goes to church quite regular our two oldest participate in altar serving , our three kids know of jesus but they don't know jesus . I should as a father take more of a lead role in my families direction and what better role model then Jesus . I need to pray more like I did when I was little , I need ...more
Jennifer Lambert
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a leadership book.

This is a child-training book. A book on parenting.

And I love how those two things are meshed together and help me to analyze and express how I want my family to look in the future.

It's all about goals, vision, values, priorities.

You need to see that future picture of success for your family to know what you must do now to get there. By examining your future picture, you can make a plan to implement for success. Jesus must be the foundation for your goals.

I have been us
Lisa
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book speaks to something I’ve been struggling with, intentional parenting.

Sometimes, I just get swept up in the busy nature of life. It’s funny how many days and months can pass before I stop and realize I need to re-evaluate. I need to constantly keep my kids before me in my heart and in prayer. Everyday.

I love the many stops in the book called Pause and Reflect.

I need to pause and reflect more often!

The book is less about changing your kids and more about changing your heart to reflect Je
Faith
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
“Lead Your Family Like Jesus” is most likely the best book I have read concerning parenting or leadership. The combination of Ken Blanchard, Phil Hodges & Tricia Goyer is a perfect blend in viewpoints covering a wide spectrum of parenting. This book really does provide powerful parenting principles from THE CREATOR of families.

This book covers the heart of the parent as it is what truly matters. If your heart is not in line with God, then your priorities become misaligned with what is import
Freda Mans-Labianca
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great teachings for parents!
So many wonderful morals, value and core beliefs are taught from birth, so they are instilled in our children to create happier and healthier kids. We teach our kids right from wrong, right from the earliest moments of their lives. So why not humility, love, empathy, compassion? They are morals we want our kids to have but sometimes start too late at teaching them or enforcing them.
The one thing I have really taken from the book, with my oldest about to turn 18, is I
Ruth Hill
Jan 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian, 2015-reads
I have to admit I was expecting a lot from this book. I am familiar with one of the co-writers, Tricia Goyer--she is always an amazing author. I was expecting a lot of Christian principles and Bible verses, and I will say that there was a lot of that. Plenty of practical advice was included, and possibly if you have never read a Christian leadership/family book, this may be a good one for you.

My biggest problem with this book is that it was essentially a Christian version of so many books out th
Teri Underwood
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lead Your Family Like Jesus came to me at just the right time. It was as if Ken Blanchard, Phil Hodges, and Tricia Goyer were speaking truth and grace into my heart. Quotes like the one above nestled into my mind and whispered encouragement. As I read each chapter I found myself nodding and underlining and writing in the margins.

Each of these authors has "been there, done that." They've learned some hard lessons about leading a family and they graciously pour out their own experiences to invite
Tesha  Fritz
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Have you thought seriously about the vision you have for your family? If you would like some guidance on how to shape that vision and see it come to reality this is the book for you. The conversational instruction of biblical concepts make this book easy to read and very easy to apply. This book asks intriguing thought provoking questions that cause you to pause and consider the status of your family against God's standard. It also causes those who lead a family to evaluate their relationship wi ...more
Jeff Bobin
Shelves: family
What an unexpected pleasure!

This brief, 187 pages, book on how to lead your family like Jesus is a great summary of family leadership. I read Ken Blanchard years ago when I was working in management and teaching marketing and managment at the college level. This is a great blend family, leadership and management and really has a strong scriptural basis.

I found this helpful not just in family life but it provoked a lot of thinking for me on the life of the church. Maybe the most important state
Melanie
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting

I LOVE Tricia's response that no ones life is a Pinterest board. That is so true in mine. I can't get anything to turn out like a photo! Not my house, my cooking, my children's appearance, my crafts.
Living in the hear and now, the reality of it is what is so important. We are unique and for us personally that means a larger family, and dynamics that don't always allow for things to be picture perfect.
This book gives you the blessing of "Saying yes to the Best and No to the Rest", and biblically
Angie Tolpin
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: motherhood
For a full review on Leaving a Legacy go here: http://angietolpin.com/lead-your-fami...

Really good book. Most would probably give this book 5 stars. A lot of the principles and vision in this book I am very familiar with so I didn't feel like I learned anything, but I also read leadership and business books for fun and apply the wisdom to how I raise and lead my family. Both my husband and I are leaders and visionaries, but this would be a fantastic book for anyone who that isn't their gift, and
Sharon
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: launch-team
One of the greatest lessons that I received from this book is that I need to continually turn over my parenting to Him in PRAYER - prayer for forgiveness, for my children, & grandchildren, & prayer for redemption! I need to be gentle with my children, but at the same time hold them accountable & remember that my children are not a reflection of who I am - God gives us all free will, and He can change hearts if we allow Him to!

Thanks to Focus on the Family & Litfuse Publicity Grou
Michelle
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lead Your Family like Jesus, by Ken Blanchard, Phil Hodges and Tricia Goyer
Great book full of practical ideas, to be servant leaders of Godly households. This book will encourage you to be the best parent you can be. Challenge you to set goals, values and live with Christ as the cornerstone of your family. I really enjoyed all the personal stories they helped to bring the teaching alive and made them more real. The practical ideas show you how to apply them to your family. I would highly recomme
Jennifer Sikora
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love Tricia Goyer. She has always been one of my favorite authors. I have followed her and have read every single book she has ever written. When I was sent a copy of Lead Your Family Like Jesus, I knew it was going to be one that I kept on my shelf for future reference later on.

There is so much Godly insight inside the pages of this book. Not only will you receive sound advice, but as a parent you will be encouraged and challenged to be the best YOU that you can be.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Spiritual Parenting: An Awakening for Today's Families
  • Whatever the Cost: Facing Your Fears, Dying to Your Dreams, and Living Powerfully
  • Sticky Faith: Everyday Ideas to Build Lasting Faith in Your Kids
  • Messy Beautiful Love: Hope and Redemption for Real-Life Marriages
  • Fight: Winning the Battles That Matter Most
  • The Full Armor of God: Defending Your Life from Satan's Schemes
  • No More Perfect Moms: Learn to Love Your Real Life
  • Instructing a Child's Heart
  • The Love Dare for Parents
  • The Promise Box (Seven Brides for Seven Bachelors #2)
  • The Spiritual Warrior's Guide to Defeating Jezebel: How to Overcome the Spirit of Control, Idolatry and Immorality
  • The Christian Parenting Handbook: 50 Heart-Based Strategies for All the Stages of Your Child's Life
  • Wednesdays were Pretty Normal: A Boy, Cancer, And God
  • I Have Loved You: Getting to Know the Father's Heart
  • Gotta Have It!: Freedom from Wanting Everything Right Here, Right Now
  • Lifestyle of a Prophet: A 21-Day Journey to Embracing Your Calling
  • Buried Treasure: Hidden Wisdom from the Hebrew Language
  • Raising Positive Kids in a Negative World
Ken Blanchard, one of the most influential leadership experts in the world, is the coauthor of the iconic bestseller, The One Minute Manager, and 60 other books whose combined sales total more than 21 million copies. His groundbreaking works have been translated into more than 27 languages and in 2005 he was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top 25 bestselling authors of all time.

K
More about Kenneth H. Blanchard...
“The big question is, does Jesus matter in your family?” 0 likes