Start by marking “Altered (Altered Sequence, #1)” as Want to Read:
Altered (Altered Sequence, #1)

Altered

(Altered Sequence #1)

Reese has a plan: keep his grades up, work hard on the basketball court, apply to his favorite Ivy League college, and don't get arrested.

There's just one problem.

Reese knows things no one should know. He always thought he just had good instincts, but he's noticed that it's been getting worse. Lately it seems like something else.

Something more than instinct.

And he's not t
Published August 16th 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published July 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Altered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Altered

Giselle
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, own
Not to mistake this book with the upcoming Jennifer Rush novel by the same name, Altered by AD Croucher is also a sci-fi and it deals with genetics, wild experiments, and my personal favorite: altered humans with superhuman abilities. No matter my small quirks with it that ultimately decided its 3 star fate instead of the 4 I immediately wanted to give, it's a genuinely good book. It's entertaining, it offers a riveting plot that never ceases, and it has just the right combination of science fic ...more
Kelly (Belle of the Literati)
'I know some Trekkies who would probably love to go out with you,'
I say without thinking.
The laughter rings out of her.
'Oh, god,' she says. 'Geeks?'
'Geeks are cool. Anyway, who doesn't want to be a superhero,
or at least date one?'"
--A.D. Croucher

I was SO excited to start reading this! The premise sounded really good, and I was not disappointed in the result of the book. Again, I started this book while on my work week and I was still able to finish it in a few days. Altered definitely kept me
KittyKat
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves sci-fi
This book really surprised me.

The beginning of the book was quite slow to start with and I didn't particularly like it, however I am glad I persisted and continued to read this amazing book.

After Reese is cured from a life-threatening disease using controversial methods his life is altered dramatically. Reese can now read people's thoughts and has better instincts. Being the only other known successful trial of the treatment makes him feel like an outcast.

Due to a favour for a friend going wr
Erin Arkin
Dec 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book and am curious to see what the next book in the series brings.

Croucher did a great job of grabbing my interest from the very beginning as we are introduced to the main character, Reese, essentially while he is stealing a car. The story is about a teenager who went through a life-saving procedure when he was young and now odd things are happening that he can't explain. I feel like I am over-simplifying this by saying just that, but there are so many other things that come up d
Melek
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I wasn't too sure about what rating to give the book. It has some parts that made me consider giving it a 4/5, but in the end I just couldn't bring myself to it.

Altered is a page-turner, I can't deny that. Nor is it a bad book, I actually enjoyed reading it.

Yet, it has some problems that I just can't ignore.

1) Forced mystery was forced.
I can understand that the the writers had to find a way to keep us reading, so they needed to build tension in one way or another, but the book is going like this
Ange (Libby Blog) Schmelzer

All Reese wants to do is graduate high school, go to a great college...and not get arrested. That's right, not get arrested. You see Reese is one of those friends who helps his closet friend out no matter what it is, even if it's boosting a car. The thing is...it shouldn't have been that easy for Reese. He seemed to know just where the cops were going to go and just where Freddie was the whole time. How is that possible? But ever since Reese was cured by experimental medication of the same incre
Dana
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a good book! It is the typical YA where evil mad scientist adults experiment on teens and accidentally give them superpowers. Reese is one of those teens. Ever since the procedure that saved his life, he can read people's minds and is incredibly smart. When he helps a friend steal a car that has a dead body in it, and the doctor's office makes a good alibi, he winds up back in the doctor's care and finds out that what was done to him is actually quite sinister. There are some plot twists ...more
Deb
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Sci-fi is not my usual genre of choice but, this novel is so compelling I was totally engrossed from page one. It has characters you care about, an interesting plot that never goes beyond the understanding of the reader and as that last page turns, you want to yell, "When is the next edition to the series?!" Well done, A.D Croucher. I look forward to much more from you.
Jess
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
My first thought when I started reading this novel was "Yay! Male POV!" I have read so many books lately with a female main character, told in her POV, that this was a fantastic change. It was also great that the male, Reese, is an awesome, real character. He's a smart guy and he's very loyal to his best friend, Freddie, but he has made mistakes. Him trying to do right by Freddie is where the action starts, and it really doesn't slow down much from there. Even where there doesn't seem to be too ...more
Bec
Jun 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review first appeared at Readers in Wonderland

ALTERED is a very fast paced, addicting read that completely took my by surprise. I haven’t really read many self published novels before, and I’m happy this could be one of my first. Reese had an addictive, sarcastic voice I mostly enjoyed and kept me turning the pages. He’s smart, loyal, and nice though I did think that things came a little to easy to him in regards to his… powers. He just seemed to know a lot of things without practice or exp
Diesel Reads Books
Dec 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Writing style is nothing unusual to report. but that isn't a bad thing. Characters are well written and engaging. You'll find ones you love and ones you'll love to hate.

Reese is a fun friend to take on this journey. His personality is witty with all the smart mouth sass you'd expect from a teenager. He is endlessly loyal, making him a valiant protagonist and an enjoyable leader through the plot.

The secondary characters are equally inviting, each of them having their own distinct personality. No
Kattie
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. This is not a book I would buy based on the cover/title alone. Reece ends up help captive by the doctor who saved his life when he was a child, who somehow knows that Reece has the ability to read people's minds. This book was really good because of the character development. The plot moved at a quick pace, and was really believable (even though it was a sci-fi book.) The thing I didn't really like was that Reece was super into his ...more
Mrs Mac McKenzie
This was an easy and fast read with lots of action. I liked the themes of genetics and 'saving' those with genetic diseases by making the cells stronger - leading to 'superpowers'.

I didn't really connect with the characters and I felt the story was being set up for a sequel in the latter part (which of course it was), which meant the ending wasn't really an ending, just a pause in the story. Not sure I will go on to read number 2.

The copy was from Net Galley - read in exchange for an honest revi
Monica
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Although this isn't the deepest mystery I've ever read, I really enjoyed this book. The characters, especially Reese, are engaging, memorable, and highly developed. The plot is excellent, with expertly timed twists, fantastic pacing, and great dialogue. It's a fast read- perfect for those who like action, mystery, and just a hint of science-fiction weirdness. I'll definitely be reading the sequel, and so should you.
Jana
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, bluefire
Thanks to NetGalley for a copy in exchange for an honest review.

This book moved so, so fast. I like action; that's not a bad thing. I still got to know the characters to some extent. But I can't even count the number of times Reese tried to escape.

My highest recommendation: I'll at least look for the sequel.
Karla
Jan 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I felt to story dragged a bit. I didn't really connect with any characters, in fact the best part of the book was the beginning. I had high expectations and they weren't met.

However the book is a quick read and an okay read.

Elizabeth
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
From a slow start, this grew into the kind of YA book that actually kept me guessing. I was surprised and disappointed to reach the end of the book - not because it was poorly concluded, but because I wanted to KEEP reading it. I'll be passing this one along.
Alan Jablonski
Decent nothing to write home about

I have mixed feelings on this one. The story has possibilities, but slow to develop. It is well written, but too many questions unanswered. Hope book two will start or I'll have to put it down. The price was right at $.99.
Gentle
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
There are things to like and dislike about Altered for me. This was my first A.D. Croucher read. I won a copy on Goodreads. Altered was a quick read dealing with the fascinating topic of genetics. There was enough action to keep me interested after the slow start.
Jessica
Stephanie Hernandez
May 07, 2018
Ghostwatcher11
Apr 30, 2017
  • The Ruby Airship (The Diamond Thief #2)
  • Midnight Dawn (Mortal Machine, #2)
  • A Lonely Magic
  • Braving the Brontes (Carly Keene: Literary Detective, #1)
  • Unaccompanied Minor (April Mae Manning #1)
  • The Battle for Arcanon Major (The Lost Dacomé Files #1)
  • Blackout (Annum Guard, #2)
  • The Huaca
  • Asleep (Fairytale Collection #2)
  • Transfer Student
  • Fire in the Sea
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Plague of Dracula
  • Blue Sacrifice (Blue Davison, #1)
  • Royal Rebel
  • Beneath Beautiful
  • The Slayer and the Sphinx  (The Slayer and the Sphinx, #1)
  • The Day I Left
  • My Sparkling Misfortune (The Lakeland Knight #1)
A. D. Croucher is actually two writers (one male, one female) who write YA novels and TV scripts. We like to think of A. D. Croucher as our superhero identity. Or our band.

We love great YA of all kinds, although we can't help but love sci-fi!

Altered Sequence (2 books)
  • Corrupted (Altered Sequence, #2)