Start by marking “Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works” as Want to Read:
Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works

Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works

The classic bestseller about rejecting diet mentality and finding the natural weight that's right for you, now fully updated and revised for the intuitive eaters of today First published in 1995, Intuitive Eating has become the go-to book on rebuilding a healthy body image and making peace with food. We've all been there--angry with ourselves for overeating, for our lack o ...more
Audio CD
Published September 15th 2012 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published May 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Intuitive Eating, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Intuitive Eating

Amy
Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish, wish, wish that every one of my friends who struggles with her weight, thinks she should diet, or who mentally tallies in her mind what she’s eaten that day or that week to determine if she can eat that “cookie” (or whatever) would read this book. Before reading this book, I thought I was an intuitive eater because I lived by the mantra “eat when you’re hungry, stop when you’re full”, but reading this book has brought me a new level of peace with food.

The basic premise of intuitive eati
Thomas
A wonderful book for those who wish to do away with dieting and learn to love food again. As someone who reads a lot about eating disorders and hopes to specialize in eating disorder treatment and prevention, I found Intuitive Eating a well-written reference on how to reject diet mentality, find satisfaction from food, and cope with emotions in ways that do not involve eating. Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch show their expertise by blending their innovative Intuitive Eating program with loads of ...more
Julia
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clinical-work
For my final pre-internship year, I'm going to be working with individuals with eating disorders. I figured I'd try something completely new. When I asked my supervisor what books she'd recommend as introductory readings, "Intuitive Eating" is where she sent me, telling me that it's the only self-help nutrition book out there that she not only tolerates, but actually likes. In short: her assessment is spot-on.

People ask me for book recommendations fairly often (and I'm only a grad student, so I
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

While I think overall, this and "Mindful Eating" are probably the best ways to care for one's health, this book was hugely repetitive and pretty obvious for anyone who's spent any amount of time trying to lose weight.

The Non-Diet Diet

+ Pay attention to when you are hungry and full. Only eat when you are hungry. Don't eat until you are stuffed.

+ Don't diet. Plan on eating this way for the rest of your life and shelve that mentality of eating a certain way for 6 weeks to drop 20 poun
Kate LaChapelle
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, no seriously, everyone should read it
Shelves: own
I started reading this book the other day and while it has only been a few days, I can see how much its ideas are transforming my life. Since I was a young girl I have struggled with body image, food issues, and disordered eating and my struggle has only gotten more difficult and more pronounced as I've gotten older, this book feels like it's the remedy I've been waiting for.

I hate diets. They don't work and only serve to exacerbate my disordered eating and my unhealthy relationship with my body
Jen V
Jan 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now that it's been almost 7 years since first being introduced to Intuitive Eating I can honestly say the concepts in this book actually really did change my life and allowed me to "make peace with food". I think I have the first edition (there are now 4) which although the writing is a little (okay a lot) hoakie the concepts are priceless. I do have to say I initially read this book as part of coursework while studying nutrition at USU so I never had the experience of picking it up and just rea ...more
Jo Lisa
This is actually my 2nd reading of this book.. I read it in 2015 as well. While I know that the 10 Principles are extremely valuable, it is so hard to change decades of food fear and disordered eating! I am working really hard toward intuitive eating. I have found that I go through phases of how I feel about food. This has always been true, but recently I find that my phases can change several times a day! It scares me as a recovering anorexic. My only option is to work one day at a time.
Michelle Curie
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, science
"Bread is fattening, sweets are bad for you and no, I really shouldn't have a slice of cake, I've eaten so much already!" Who hasn't heard something like this before? It's funny to think about it, because with all that food and knowledge available to us, shouldn't eating be one of the easiest things to do? Objectively speaking it requires nothing more than following a basic instinct. But let's be honest, we all know it's a much trickier subject.

Intuitive Eating gets rid of the diet mentality and
Jezzyka
Sep 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hmm... Sigh...

This is, essentially, the way to eat. A lot of people do, naturally, it's not like a special, new-age restrictive idea. But for many of us, who see "Drop a Pant Size in 2 Weeks" and constant headlines on the obesity crisis, we can't help but be affected, to feel that something is wrong with us and we have to be perfect. PERFECT. We have to look like this-- on top of being this, acting like this, and anything less means that something is wrong. We don't have enough "will-power".

Not
Elizabeth
Feb 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I greatly enjoyed this insightful, if slightly overselling explanation of intuitive eating, the authors' working method in the field of nutrition. Their approach is empowering and practical, and unique in the field. I believe that many, many people who struggle or have struggled with food will find something of value in this, whether you use parts of their ideas to supplement your relationship to food or commit to their complete process.

First, an example. A couple months ago, I sat with a half-e
Tara
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tara by: Anna Guest-Jelley
Shelves: health, 2013
I love what this book is saying, but it is VERY 80s-feeling.
The gist of the "program" - eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full, and stop guilting yourself when you eat what you TRULY want.
I think modern studies about the addict-ability of processed foods makes this slightly less factual. The authors claim the reason you overeat is because you've either been starving yourself, or you're planning to starve yourself, or you're thinking "oh well! I've already had one! Everything is ruined!"
Iris
I feel convinced to try intuitive eating and I feel more prepared to do so, having read this book.

That said, this was written in the mid-90s and really shows it. I would love an updated book that has fat acceptance and health at every size principles at its core, rather than as asides. I want an overtly feminist version of this book, too.

I think we know more about nutrition now, and the specific fad diets that people try are different now, so an update on that would be great.

But, I have some
Kathy
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came across a mention of this book on a blog and thought it sounded interesting. It's about losing the diet mentality and having a healthy relationship with food and our bodies. The book is geared toward chronic dieters, which I am not. I don't think I've ever seriously dieted. Sometimes I'll focus on smaller portions or eating healthier, but I'm not about denying myself foods or counting calories. If I'm hungry I eat. Even though it's not written with me in mind so much, I got some useful and ...more
Laura Tremaine
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fantastic and such an important topic that covers a wide range of food issues (we all have them). I feel like I’ve been hypnotized by the concepts presented here, in the most positive, affirming way. I want to recommend this to every single woman I know.
Kris
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Complex feelings about this book. Overall, the idea is great and, if one has a diet mentality, very perspective shifting. However, because it is a valuable book, I feel even more inclined to offer critique so that the next book on this subject can be even more valuable.
1. This is a dated read. There is much talk about "normal weight", even while acknowledging that not everyone has the same weight that should be normal for them. There is still a sense that thin is better, while I feel the focus
Sarah Sniderman
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intuitive Eating already provides an excellent summary as appendix to the book and very worthwhile details including the science behind intuitive eating. However, as per usual, I’ve taken notes for my own reference and, of course, I’d like to share. Note many sentences are word-for-word, I’ve simply condensed it to the main parts.

Principle 1: Reject the Diet Mentality

Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars
After hearing about the concept of intuitive eating all over the internet (youtube, podcasts, etc), I wanted to go back to the one of the original sources. I had some issues with certain aspects of the book, particularly I felt that the nutrition information related to fat was outdated. However, I still think the overall message of this book was wonderful and I certainly want to learn how to eat intuitively in my own life.
Kimberly Read
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hate dieting. I detest counting calories or fat grams or carbs. I already find it difficult to squeeze grocery shopping into my hectic schedule so just the thought of adding any more time going label by label through the store, makes me seriously cranky. The minute I add a diet to my intentions, I find myself anxiously binging on my favorite foods in anticipation of their loss. And a few days into any diet, I swear I would mug a Girl Scout for her cookies! However, I am quite overweight (we ca ...more
Lizzie Jones
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is actually excellent. I picked it up on a whim, interested due to a review of a friend of mine. I wasn't looking for a health book, I wasn't interested in changing my entire mindset on eating and food.... but this book has really shifted my view in so many ways. What the author is saying actually makes perfect sense. She has enough fact to back up her claims that I actually started doing some research and found out that not only are her claims grounded and credible, but they might be ...more
Natalia
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite non-fiction books I've ever read! I think everyone should read this!
FULL REVIEW ON BLOG - https://boookishvegan.wordpress.com/2...

MY FULL REVIEW:
Please read this book if you have body image issues or struggle with dieting and loving your body! I wish I picked it up sooner as it is just an impactful and important read that has become a favourite read of mine this year.

Now I never thought I would say I am on a ‘diet’ but seeing everything that they mention is technically a ‘die
Marina
I'm not entirely sure how to rate this book because....

...on the one hand, it does make perfect sense and it is kind of eye-opening, but
...on the other hand, there is so much information that is just completely unnecessary.
The book is way too long, with way too many examples that do not really help. I know this sounds rude, but why should I care what happened in XYZ's life? I know these examples were chosen so that the reader has a representation/an example of the explained principle in 'real li
Laurie
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has completely changed the way I eat. I have always considered myself a positive, upbeat person who is kind and loving to everyone including myself. This book showed me how I was denying myself food and torturing myself every time I ate. I was not being kind to me.

No more dieting. No more denying myself food because it is "not good for me". It is just like she says in the book --if you tell a child they can play with any toy in the room but the pink elephant, the pink elephant is the o
Rachelle
Oct 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me a long time to read this book, mainly because I read it very slowly so that I could absorb all of the concepts. This book is all about making peace with food and with the body you have. It is not another diet book; in fact, the main theme of the book is the necessity of rejecting the "diet mentality" once and for all. The authors point out that almost all diets eventually fail, and most people chastise themselves for not having the “willpower” or “self-control” to be successful on a d ...more
Mindy
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is tired of the dieting game and wants to eat in a healthy manner
I debated entering this here, as this is more about my eating issues than literature. But hey - it was a book I read and ill likely read again soon, so I added it.

It's basically about reteaching ourselves to eat when we're hungry, and to eat what we want. Sounds simple, but I find I really have to think about it and not just eat because it's 9AM or Noon, etc.

It's also about eating "real food." I'm no longer fixating on low-sugar, low-calorie, fat-free stuff. I'd rather eat creamy vanilla yogurt
Jennyross76
Okay, I'm on the last chapter, but people keep friending me on here and I figured I should update. LOL! I think this book is very interesting. Mostly because I know several people who believe that cutting out desserts or starting a new fad diet is the best way to lose pounds. And it might be...until you start eating the way you did prior to the diet. I've said for a long time that I do not want to be in a position where I have to turn down a piece of cake because I "can't" eat it. I want to turn ...more
Lolene
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was written for and about me. I publicly acknowledge that I have been addicted to diets since the age of ten. If you know me, you know that dieting has NOT worked for me...except to make me fatter. This book is all about giving up dieting and finally making peace with food. Food is not the enemy. Lack of willpower, guilt, self-hatred, etc. are not characteristics that need to dog everyone's footsteps forever. This book was a revelation to me...I saw myself on every page. I underlined, ...more
Danica Holdaway
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sick of dieting? Scared or anxious about food? Embarrassed about yo-yo-ing? Missing ice cream and bread? Join the club. Intuitive Eating is all about getting back in touch with your body and learning to give it what it needs - and sometimes it’ll need bread! I loved this guide. I went through it slowly and really processed it and it completely changed the way I look at my body, my workouts, my fridge & pantry, even Halloween candy. I am especially grateful for the chapters on raising intuiti ...more
Megan
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has helped me in recovery from my Eating Disorder. It's what they teach at one of the top Eating Disorder facility's in the world. It. is. AMAZING.

Get back in touch with your initial intuitive eating skills, that came to you so naturally as a child. Eat what you really want, when you really want it. Enjoy food. Get to your natural healthy weight and love your body. Stop obsessing and start living!

Miriam
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Make sure you read the latest edition, which right now, is the third one.) This book has really helped to open my eyes to the insidious, pervasive danger of diet culture. It has shown me what I was putting my body through, for no reason, in the pursuit of an ideal that doesn’t really exist. I feel like I’ve been rehabilitated from a cult. I highly recommend this book if you have been dieting but yearning to be able to stop caring about every bite you take.
Rose
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I typically thumb through self help books, but listened to this in audio form. So glad I did. If anyone has felt like they've failed at diets, welcome to the way you're supposed to eat-without guilt and shame.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add another edition 3 17 Apr 22, 2019 10:49AM

• Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight
  • The Obesity Myth: Why America's Obsession with Weight is Hazardous to Your Health
  • Eating Mindfully: How to End Mindless Eating and Enjoy a Balanced Relationship with Food
  • Rethinking Thin: The New Science of Weight Loss--And the Myths and Realities of Dieting
  • Secrets of Feeding a Healthy Family
  • Eating in the Light of the Moon: How Women Can Transform Their Relationship with Food Through Myths, Metaphors, and Storytelling
  • 8 Keys to Recovery from an Eating Disorder: Effective Strategies from Therapeutic Practice and Personal Experience
  • The Unapologetic Fat Girl's Guide to Exercise and Other Incendiary Acts
  • Lessons from the Fat-O-Sphere: Quit Dieting and Declare a Truce with Your Body
  • Body Kindness:  Transform Your Health from the Inside Out—and Never Say Diet Again
  • Life Without Ed: How One Woman Declared Independence from Her Eating Disorder and How You Can Too
  • Body of Truth: Change Your Life by Changing the Way You Think about Weight and Health
  • Two Whole Cakes: How to Stop Dieting and Learn to Love Your Body
  • Secrets from the Eating Lab: The Science of Weight Loss, the Myth of Willpower, and Why You Should Never Diet Again
  • Breaking Free from Emotional Eating
  • Fat! So?: Because You Don't Have to Apologize for Your Size
  • Mindful Eating: A Guide to Rediscovering a Healthy and Joyful Relationship with Food
  • When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies: Freeing Yourself from Food and Weight Obsession
Evelyn Tribole, MS, RD is an award-winning registered dietitian, with a nutrition counseling practice in Newport Beach, California. She has written seven books including the bestsellers Healthy Homestyle Cooking and Intuitive Eating(co-author). Her newest book is the Ultimate Omega-3 Diet.

Evelyn was the nutrition expert for Good Morning America, appearing from 1994-’95 and was a national spokesper
“Accept your genetic blueprint. Just as a person with a shoe size of eight would not expect realistically to squeeze into a size six, it is equally futile (and uncomfortable) to have a similar expectation about body size. Respect your body, so you can feel better about who you are. It’s hard to reject the diet mentality if you are unrealistic and overly critical of your body shape.” 2 likes
“Throw out the diet books and magazine articles that offer you the false hope of losing weight quickly, easily, and permanently. Get angry at the lies that have led you to feel as if you were a failure every time a new diet stopped working and you gained back all of the weight. If you allow even one small hope to linger that a new and better diet might be lurking around the corner, it will prevent you from being free to rediscover Intuitive Eating.” 2 likes