Start by marking “The Night Gardener” as Want to Read:

The Night Gardener

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  4,374 Ratings  ·  428 Reviews
Published August 8th 2006 by Little Brown and Company

Dan Schwent
In the bygone age of 1985, detective TC Cooke, with young cops Gus Ramone and Dan Holiday in tow, tried to save a string of murders dubbed the Palindrome Killer, aka the Night Gardener, and failed. Twenty years later, a murder with the same telltale characteristics occurs. Has the killer resurfaced? And can the three men, now in vastly different lives, crack the case?

The Night Gardener is a police procedural mystery set in Washington DC. At least, at first glance. It's really the tale of fathers
Orsodimondo
OMICIDI PALINDROMI
Aveva spalle ampie e squadrate, il viso gradevole, con gli zigomi in parte coperti da lunghe treccine. Gli occhi erano di un marrone intenso ma poco espressivi, l’ideale per un tassidermista.

description
”L’imbalsamatore” di Matteo Garrone, 2002.

Mi piace come scrive George Pelacanos.

Le sue crime novel sono diverse: hanno un ritmo andante, che sa prendersi il giusto tempo per costruire atmosfera situazione caratteri, senza fretta senza strappi senza salti.

Mi piace che non usi effetti, men ch
Greg
Jul 07, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The side of me that can get sucked into watching a Law and Order: (X)* and then watch the next eight episodes also airing that day enjoyed this book. The part of me that feels disgusted with myself after an orgy of Dick Wolf created police procedurals didn't care for this book so much.

Reading the police procedural stuff I could feel the critical part of my mind snapping off. I'm surprised that I didn't leave the subway coming home last night with paper cuts from turning the pages so fast. I can
Larry Bassett
Aug 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, crime
“That was Freda Payne, and I don’t care what she did,” said Bonano. He blew into a deck of Marlboro Lights and watched as the filtered end of one popped out. “She didn’t do this.”

Standard George Pelecanos cigarette extraction. Even in The Night Gardener with none of the usual Greek suspects. But we find the metro DC police, serial murders and teenagers in troubled waters. As usual.

But wait, here is Derek Strange on page 152. Now I am beginning to feel comfortable. This is the Pelecanos that I
Jeff
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first time reading George Pelecanos. This is a cross between Elmore Leonard and Richard Price. It has Leonard’s knack for bold characterization and sharp dialogue combined with Price’s gift for storytelling in an urban setting.

A serial killer, who killed three victims twenty years before has apparently struck again. This brings together a disparate group of characters and storylines. The murder is just a framing device for one of the best novels I’ve read this year. It’s a story that
Melissa
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This almost turned out to be The Little Friend of Pelecanos books, but much like that one, the pleasure was all in the journey & not in trying to figure out who the night gardener really was or just who was killing those kids with the palindromic names. I left the obsession to the police & sat back & enjoyed the ride. I went about it backwards a bit with this guy, reading his newer stuff first & saving the older for last. I'm retroactively pleased that I did it this way because i ...more
jo
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of the The Wire and richard price
Recommended to jo by: linda
Shelves: mystery-thriller
this is an extremely good police procedural. it is so good that it makes me less sad to have already read Lush Life, to have exhausted all episodes of The Wire, and to know that richard price won't write another epic for another few years (he ain't fast, that man). in fact, a quick perusal of his work has led me to understand that george pelecanos does not always write police procedurals, and i have made a little deal with myself that, not to spoil the pleasure of this novel, to keep it lingerin ...more
Thanasis Papageorgiou
7/10
Cathy DuPont
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My baptism to George Pelecanos and it was great. Wonderful way to join the Pelecanos GR Fan Club. He reminds me of a few writers who I already love and read much of, so no surprise how much I enjoyed Pelecanos' writing. And he's easy on the eyes too, which of course has nothing to do with his writing talent. I'm getting terrible about judging men from how they look. Nevermind, don't care, he's good looking, gals, with those big blues.

A couple things are a must for me; a great dialogue, a better
John Culuris
★ ★ ★ 1/2

My first non-series Pelecanos. The return of a serial killer after twenty years of dormancy brings together three men: a detective and two former cops, one retired, one forced out. Perhaps because of my preference for series characters, I closed this book thinking, Interesting but not great. Yet there is no denying Pelecanos’s brilliance as a writer, particularly with street-level life. His average is still better than most. I’ll end up reading all of his work eventually, series or not.
  • Eye of the Cricket (Lew Griffin, #4)
  • The Last Good Kiss (C.W. Sughrue, #1)
  • Strega (Burke, #2)
  • Blood's a Rover (Underworld USA, #3)
  • American Skin
  • Strip
  • King Of Swords (Max Mingus, #2)
  • How the Dead Live
  • The Shotgun Rule
  • Samaritan
  • Songs of Innocence (John Blake #2)
  • The Dead Letters
  • When the Sacred Ginmill Closes (Matthew Scudder, #6)
  • The Bright Silver Star (Berger and Mitry, #3)
  • Citizen Vince
  • End of Story
  • Officer Down
George P. Pelecanos (born 1957 in Washington, D.C.) is an American author of detective fiction set primarily in the capital of the United States, Washington, D.C. He is also a film and television producer and a television writer. He has worked extensively on the HBO series The Wire. His novels use an ensemble cast of characters, following their exploits across several generations. While there are ...more
More about George P. Pelecanos...
“Soon it began to drizzle for the second time that night. The drops grew heavier and became visible in the headlights of the cars. It was said by some of the police on the scene that God was crying for the girl in the garden. To others, it was only rain. (final lines)” 19 likes
“I'm just a man, no more enlightened than any other.” 6 likes