Start by marking “The White Racial Frame: Centuries of Racial Framing and Counter-Framing” as Want to Read:
The White Racial Frame: Centuries of Racial Framing and Counter-Framing

The White Racial Frame: Centuries of Racial Framing and Counter-Framing

In this book Joe Feagin extends the systemic racism framework in previous Routledge books by developing an innovative concept, the white racial frame. Now four centuries-old, this white racial frame encompasses not only the stereotyping, bigotry, and racist ideology emphasized in other theories of "race," but also the visual images, array of emotions, sounds of accented la ...more
Published February 15th 2013 by Routledge

To ask other readers questions about The White Racial Frame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The White Racial Frame

Start your review of The White Racial Frame: Centuries of Racial Framing and Counter-Framing
Douglas
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all the books that Joe Feagin has written, and this is one of his best. Instead of looking at racism in terms of acts of discrimination and attitude, he develops the notion that racism can be seen to be fundamentally a "worldview," or "frame" by which one identifies oneself and interprets the social world. He explores this white racial frame in much specificity, and the book concludes with an extraordinary articulation of anti-frames as constructed and operative in communities of res ...more
Jill
I learned so much from this one!
Brandon James
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I strongly believe this should be required reading for all high school juniors in the United States. As a nation we underestimate the depths to which our racial segregations and prejudices have been woven into our existence. This book should help us unlearn many things, one of which should be the moorings we have on our own American identities.
Kate
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book taught me so much about systemic racism and left me with so many moments of pause. I was so thankful to read this in a book study so I could process weekly with others. I learned so much from this work It is not an easy read, but such a portrayal of how Native Americans and African Americans were treated at the founding of our country up to present day.
Litbitch
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another essential book for White liberals who think they are not racist. Whether by reading this book or something similar, we have to understand the white racial frame into which all Americans are indoctrinated if we want to fully understand and overcome the racism that built, guides, and dominates this country.

This book is fairly academic, FYI. I'd give it a low 3 out of 5 on an academia scale.
Michele
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book should be required reading for everyone, but particularly white influential adults such as educators, law- and policy-makers, academic researchers, organizational leaders, etc. whose subtle and/or overt decisions continually conjure negative stereotypes that perpetuate systemic and institutional racism.
Bridgitte Dennis
The absolute definitive study on race and race relations. Detailing frame, counterfame and methods of resistance. If every American read this we could see our way through this fog that is race and racism.
Amy
May 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read as part of a community discussion group.

I think this book works best in explaining how we got to where we are in terms of the country’s racist foundations and white people’s place in creating and maintaining the racial hierarchy, but I would have liked to see more developed discussions of how the white racial frame works today. There were examples of racist video games and college parties (and maybe those were chosen to relate to a college audience possibly reading this for a sociology cou
Karen
Skimmed. It does a good job of showing and explaining how there is a white racial frame that shapes how white Americans think and feel about people of color. It examines the history and development of that racial frame. Unfortunately I didn't have a lot of time with the book, so I can't do an in depth review. Well worth reading--I learned some things I didn't know, and was able to recognize some attitudes I had when I was younger and understand better where they came from.

Emily Halverson
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: equity
Paired well with a weekly circle (Circle for Restorative Justice). Thought provoking, eye-opening text. Easy to read at times, other times very intellectual. A good match for a variety of audiences. Powerful excerpts to share when sparking dialogue about race, equality, justice, history, etc. Will be sharing with family & neighbors. Grateful for the 300 people in Dane County who joined for this event.
Stephanie Byrnes
Full of well-researched facts and great tips on how to be a better ally. I shared this book with my teenage sons and it spurred some very insightful conversations. I highly recommend to anyone speaking to expand their knowledge of racial framing and/or in pursuit to be a better friend and ally.
V
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this book. Learned a ton.

V
Natalie
Jul 12, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
White Fragility rec.
Kumoshi
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid read covering history of racial oppression and white supremacist worldview in the USA. I appreciate that the author also covered writings and acts of resistance of people of color.
Katy Wineke

• Paradoxes of Gender
  • Medicine Women, Curanderas, and Women Doctors
  • The Beginning and End of Rape: Confronting Sexual Violence in Native America
  • Feminist Theory: From Margin to Center
  • Black Feminist Thought: Knowledge, Consciousness, and the Politics of Empowerment
  • The Structure of Scientific Revolutions
  • Women, Culture, and Politics
  • The Revolution Will Not Be Funded: Beyond the Non-Profit Industrial Complex
  • Racism without Racists: Color-Blind Racism and the Persistence of Racial Inequality in the United States
  • The Seas
  • Intersectionality
  • Witnessing Whiteness: First Steps Toward an Antiracist Practice and Culture
  • Playing in the Dark: Whiteness and the Literary Imagination
  • How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy
  • Wild at Heart (Wild, #2)
Joe R. Feagin is a U.S. sociologist and social theorist who has conducted extensive research on racial and gender issues, especially in regard to the United States. He is currently the Ella C. McFadden and Distinguished Professor at Texas A&M University. Feagin has taught at the University of Massachusetts (Boston), University of California (Riverside), University of Texas (Austin), University of ...more