Start by marking “Christmas in Absaroka County (Walt Longmire #8.1)” as Want to Read:
Christmas in Absaroka County (Walt Longmire #8.1)

Christmas in Absaroka County

(Walt Longmire #8.1)

It’s holiday season in Absaroka County and Sheriff Walt Longmire gets personal in this delightful collection of four short stories from New York Times–bestselling author Craig Johnson.

Readers glimpse a softer side of Sheriff Walt Longmire as he grapples with the death of his wife, Martha, and his sometimes turbulent but ever-loving relationship with his daughter, Cady. In
Published December 4th 2012 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about Christmas in Absaroka County, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas in Absaroka County

Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016

Comprised of four (very) short stories, the collection is padded a little with the opening chapter from the first Walt Longmire novel, "The Cold Dish". They serve a double role: one as a gift to fans of the series and one of marketing, like a teaser / trailer for the main event for readers who try to decide if they want to dig into the main dish or not. In both roles I believe the shorts are succesful, making me ask for more Absaroka stories, preferably of the full blown novel variety.

The common
Mark
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of smart novels.
Shelves: 2016, western
The Wyoming Sheriff Walt Longmire is featured in four short stories
“Ministerial Aid” At a the first day of the new year day shortly after the death of Walt Longmire's dead he gets called in and gets mistaken for somebody how is still not returned for his second coming.

“Slick-Tongued Devil” A nice story that almost is written in Leslie Charteris vein about a conman but really laid back. The con kind of makes you lose faith in humanity.

“Toys for Tots”While his daughter Cady does her Christmas sho
Cathy Cole
Dec 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Any time I hear of the availability of new Craig Johnson books or stories, I drop what I'm doing and head on over to get my copies because I know good, enjoyable reading awaits.

This compilation of Christmas-themed short stories featuring Craig Johnson's Sheriff Walt Longmire of Absaroka County, Wyoming, shows us four short glimpses into Walt's life during various holiday seasons.

"Ministerial Aid" shows Walt in a beat-up bathrobe and nursing a mean hangover while dealing with a delusional elderly
Scott
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, mystery
“Christmas in Absaroka County” is a collection of four holiday themed Longmire short stories which reveal more personalized moments from Sheriff Walt Longmire’s life. The themes are personal, involving his struggles with moving on from the death of his wife, Martha, and challenges with being a father to his daughter, Cady, as she grows up into the Greatest Legal Mid of Our Time.

“Ministerial Aid” - On the first New Year’s morning following the death of his wife, Walt finds himself sporting a kil
Eric
Dec 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Hardcore Walt Longmire fans
Four unrelated Christmas stories about Walt Longmire:

'Ministerial Aid' featured a hungover Longmire on the New Year's Day following the death of his wife being mistaken for a modern day Jesus by a mentally unstable woman. A bit less realism here than in the rest of the series, but enjoyable as a Christmas fable.

'Slick-Tongued Devil' involved Longmire treating a con man with compassion. I didn't care for it, despite the positive message, as I would have preferred reading about Longmire kicking th
Kathy Davie
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
An anthology of four short and sad stories revolving around the Walt Longmire series (he refers to them as the Walt Longmire Christmas Stories); they range from shortly after Martha's death to after Cady's recovery.

I keep forgetting to add that this is a story ARC I got from the publisher.

Series:
"Ministerial Aid", #0.5 (a few months after Martha died)
"Slick-Tongued Devil", #1.5?? (6 years after Martha died)
"Toys for Tots", #7.2
"Unbalanced", #0.75 (Cady is working in Philadelphia)

The series is a
Michael
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
This collection contains four short stories that drop in on Walt during or leading up to the Christmas holidays. Don't expect cosy scenes of fireside cheer though. The first story kicks off with Walt being mistaken for both a tramp and Jesus. It's set not long after his wife's death and he's caught up in grief and depression. He's at work in his dressing gown, smells something bad and there are foreign objects in his beard. But he still has his dry wit and the hint that things can get better. Th ...more
Kyle Butterfield
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great short read. Wonderful opening to Slick-Tongued Devil: "You steel yourself against those unexpected surprise visits in your mind, but it does nothing to prepare you for the physical evidence of a life shared, a life lost; her voice on the backlogged messages of the answering machine, photographs used as bookmarks, a song she used to hum, people who knew her but didn’t really, asking about her in casual conversation. Others telling you they know what it’s like when they don’t. If you’re luck ...more
Rage
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
a collection of short stories that all occur around Christmas. classic Walt Longmire. I think an interesting thing this collection does is show that Walt is never not on duty. an interesting, hopeful, melancholy read. 4 stars because this is VERY short and I would have liked more.
Bruce Snell
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This collection of four short stories can best be considered as book number 8.5 in the Walt Longmire series by Craig Johnson - 5 stars (well, not quite as perfect as a 5 star rating implies - it's too short to be perfect ;-) ). This collection is less about Walt solving mysteries (although he does resolve some criminal issues) than it about him interacting with the world around him. The four stories are:

Ministerial Aid - On New Year's Day, 2000, Walt is in Powder Junction delivering a paycheck t
Grey853
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday, fiction
Keri
Short vignettes of Walt, after his wife passed. They were short, sad sweet stories. Where I had issues was the price of the book. People new to Johnson's writing won't take a chance with that price on a short ebook. Merry Christmas Penguin, you got your Christmas money from me, but it won't happen again.
Karen
Good stories to give some background on Walt and in typical form, he does a lot of "walt" things...Only drawback for me is how childish Cady seems, (view spoiler)

I do love the Longmire series, may be time to do a re-listen while waiting for the next book.
Liz Lipperman
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this collection of short stories from a author whose on my must-have list. His characters just pop off the page and make me wish Mr. Johnson was a much faster writer. I can't wait for the next one in his series.
Dale
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Over the past two years I've become quite a fan of the Longmire series. Now when I open a new book I feel the pages ushering me in to a happy reunion of sorts: Ruby keeping the show running, the alluring, don't-mess-with-me Vic, Double Tough, Dorothy, the "chief cook and bottle washer" at the Busy Bee, and, of course, Henry Standing Bear. Anchoring it all is self-deprecating, Shakespeare-quoting Walt "Long Arm of the Law" Longmire, a man whose modestly is only exceeded by his wisdom as a lawman ...more
Gavin Dimmock
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
“Christmas in Absaroka County” is a collection of four short stories each, as the name suggests, with a festive theme. These tales give us glimpses into the man behind the badge that our Sheriff wears. And, if, after the first eight books, we didn’t already like Longmire enough, what see in these tales only further endears him to us.

Two of these stories fall nicely into the Longmire timeline between “As The Crow Flies” and “A Serpent’s Tooth”, the eight and ninth books. The first in the collecti
Michael Bafford
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
RumBelle
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, mystery
This was a great holiday themed collection. I like how, even with short stories, you still get the full feel of a Longmire novel. All my favorite characters had come together to celebrate the holiday season. This collection shows Walt in a wide variety of lights, sometimes flattering, other times, less so. My favorite was the story where he had to go Christmas shopping and helped out the Navy man. Witty, humorous, heartbreaking, amusing and so much more. A multilayered collection.
Stefan Percy
Four quick and easy short stories revolving around the Christmas holiday season, that also give some backstory about everybody's favourite Absaroka County Sheriff, Walt Longmire.

The stories are from different times in Walt's life, with one being a few months after his wife Martha's death, to six years after her death, up to, I assume somewhere between Hell is Empty and As the Crow Flies, or around that time frame.

Short. Easy. Nice. Enjoy.
Karen
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Are you a Longmire addict like me?
This is a must read novella, actually 4 short stories. You see a softer side of Walt as he deals with the holidays and the loss of his wife.

I read it in June and so enjoyed being cooled off, even in my mind.
Craig does such wonderful things with his characters and choice of words.
Sarah Evans
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One reason I enjoy reading Christmas novels is it lets me try out an author - if I like their writing style, I’ll know I want to pick up more. I’m definitely going to read more from the Longmire series. The author combines psychological insights and gentle humor with a laid back pace and rich observations. Each of these Christmas short stories were somehow both sad and hopeful at the same time.
Bob Cantrell
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A little early for Christmas

This collection of short stories are set around Christmas, but who cares. If a story is good it can be read anytime and these are good. They aren't the sugary sweet stories that you read around Christmas. What they are is how one man is dealing with Christmas alone. But there is a degree of humor to them also.So grab a copy and start reading.
Michelle
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Overall 2.95/5 rating but individually:

4.75/5: Ministerial Aid: Definitely my favorite short outta the 4. A very awesome lesson from "Christ"

3.5/5: Slick-Tongued Devil: Sad but accommodating at the same time

2/5: Unbalanced: My least favorite of the 4 but still worth reading.

4.5/5: Toys for Tots: Cute & sweet
Kriss
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
more like 3.5, but i'm average with another 3.5. Short stories, well told, most leave a little bit unsettled, which is good I think. I love that these were originally Christmas stories he wrote for his loyal fan base each year, stories that originally were just a gift to the universe.
Brooke
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Sweet, enjoyable dips into Walt's world. I liked the first one beat and would like to see more snippets from before Martha's death or shortly thereafter. I find it interesting that all of these seem to occur chronologically MUCH before book eight but it's listed as 8.1 on Goodreads.
Ashley Wyatt
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good character development

Cute stories to share more insight to Walt's character. We find out more about his wife. A topic I've been dying to find out more about.
Jen
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
A collection of sweet Longmire stories.
Brook
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Pretty mediocre stuff. A little too saccharine for my tastes, but of course it's a Christmas collection short stories.
Al
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 lighthearted short stories starring only Walt.
David
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: johnson-craig
Entertaining collection of short stories.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #3 Christmas in Absaroka County 1 2 Jan 20, 2015 01:34PM

• Hard Rain
  • A Killing Winter  (Inspector Akyl Borubaev, #1)
  • Grave Intent  (Jan Tommen Investigation #2)
  • Helsinki Blood (Inspector Kari Vaara, #4)
  • Into the Night (Amsterdam Quartet,  #2)
  • Merciless (Mercy Gunderson Mystery #3)
  • Wild Inferno (A Wild Mystery #2)
  • Devices Brightly Shining (Magnificent Devices, #9)
  • Christmas at High Rising
  • Dark Matters (Signs of the Zodiac, #4.5)
  • Murder at the Holiday Flotilla (Magnolia Mysteries, #9)
  • Herald of Death (Pennyfoot Hotel #19)
  • Missing, Presumed... (Liam Campbell, #4.25)
  • Fires of London (Francis Bacon, #1)
  • Miss Zukas and the Raven's Dance (Miss Zukas, #4)
  • Enemy Way (Ella Clah, #4)

Craig Johnson an American novelist, short story writer, and playwright. . He lives in Ucross, near Sheridan, Wyoming, population 25.

Johnson has written twelve novels featuring Sheriff Walt Longmire: The Cold Dish, Death Without Company, Kindness Goes Unpunished, Another Man's Moccasins, Junkyard Dogs, The Dark

Walt Longmire (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Cold Dish (Walt Longmire, #1)
  • Death Without Company (Walt Longmire, #2)
  • Kindness Goes Unpunished (Walt Longmire, #3)
  • Another Man's Moccasins (Walt Longmire, #4)
  • The Dark Horse (Walt Longmire, #5)
  • Junkyard Dogs (Walt Longmire, #6)
  • Hell Is Empty (Walt Longmire, #7)
  • As The Crow Flies (Walt Longmire, #8)
  • A Serpent's Tooth (Walt Longmire, #9)
  • Any Other Name (Walt Longmire, #10)